Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's a Better Coach Holmgren or Shannahan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's a Better Coach Holmgren or Shannahan?

All right before everyone gets upset please realize that I am a die hard Bronco fan and I think that Shanny is one of the best coaches in the modern era. That being said the question that is sure to come in the coming months is the one above.

Shannahan has beat Holmgren in a Super Bowl and has won one more. However Holmgren has been to one more Super Bowl and has done it with two teams. Both won with HOF QB's and have yet to silence the critics.

There is no doubt in my mind that Shanny is the better coach. Imagine what he could do with a back like Shaun Alexander? Ever since our last SB Shanny has done a great job of keeping us competitive while rebuilding the team. Holmgren has had many lean years and has vastly underperformed the last few seasons until this one.

I just want to see what all of you guys think? Let the debating begin!!!

They're both very good coaches but I would give Shanny the edge because I think he makes better decisions and calls better plays. (he calls the plays, right?)

Comment

I have great respect for them both, so I stay undecided. Both call great plays and manage their teams very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Invesco
        I have great respect for them both, so I stay undecided. Both call great plays and manage their teams very well.

I agree. I respect both of them also. I would even throw in Cowher also. These three guys have been under a microscope the past 3-4 years. Everyone saying Shanahan couldn't win a playoff game without Elway and his tenure was up in Denver. Everyone saying Holmgren couldn't do anything without Farve and he has worn out his welcome in Seattle. Same said for Cowher on the tenure in Pitt.

Much respect for the coaches who don't cave to their critics and produce winning teams.

Comment

IMHO Shanny is the better coach by far!!!!
          SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Comment

Is this an answerable question?

-----

Comment

Shanny has been our coach for like 12 years? Something like that, Holmgren went to Seattle after stinking it up in Greenbay. Shanny had elway retire, and we had only one season under .500 since.

Edge Shanny

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                Is this an answerable question?

-----
                Ahhh you caught me. The response I was hoping to see is the exact response that I got, I just wanted to see where others on this board ranked Holmgren.

As far as Cowher is concerened I think he is a great coach, after today he is now a championship coach. I truly do not think that Cowher is great coach however, he has under performed with the level of talent that he has had on his team for way too many years. He is a system coach and it took him 14 years to have players truly buy into his system and win a championship.

Personally I think that Cowher is a smart Mike Tice. They both played football and know the game. Each of them knew the city they were coaching in very well and knew what the fans wanted. I think the thing that limits them the most is both coach's have their teams play the game a way that is a few decades in the past.

Cowher has been lucky enough to have the faith of the ownership and has been able over his fourteen years to build some continuity in both his coaching staff and players on his team.

All respect in the world to Bill Cowher and the Steelers after today, they did a multitude of things that have never happened before. SB XLI goes through Pittsburgh next year and it will indeed be a tough road. However I just do not see Cowher being able to maintain a team after winning a Super Bowl that is able to be competitive year after year like the Beilchicks and Shannahan's in this league.

Comment

Originally posted by I OrangeCrush I
                  Shanny has been our coach for like 12 years? Something like that, Holmgren went to Seattle after stinking it up in Greenbay. Shanny had elway retire, and we had only one season under .500 since.

Edge Shanny
                  "Stinking it up in Green Bay"

Heh...

Comment

i would always say shanny on this one .........and after watching holgram blow the final minute in both halfs of the superbowl...i would have to agree with myself
                    sigpic
                    when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Shanny has never lost a super bowl and he beat Holmgren head to head in the big game, id give a slight edge to shanny.
                      "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X