No announcement yet.

Idea's to improve officating...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make the ref position a full time job. The NFL brings in way too much money for their refrees to be men who have other full-time jobs. All of the jobs that the offical's in the NFL hold combined wouldn't even come close to just one weekend's worth of revenue that the NFL recieve's from its TV contracts.

Millions of dollars are spent every week on Merchandise, Concessions, Tickets, Avertisment, and of course betting. The NFL using part time officals is paramount to the SEC Commission using a bunch of college economic students to regulate the stock-market once a week.

Comment

Wait a minute...

Originally posted by CoBear23
      Make the ref position a full time job. The NFL brings in way too much money for their refrees to be men who have other full-time jobs. All of the jobs that the offical's in the NFL hold combined wouldn't even come close to just one weekend's worth of revenue that the NFL recieve's from its TV contracts.

Millions of dollars are spent every week on Merchandise, Concessions, Tickets, Avertisment, and of course betting. The NFL using part time officals is paramount to the SEC Commission using a bunch of college economic students to regulate the stock-market once a week.

I'm with you guys on the terrible officiating this season (especially last night), but let's not go overboard here.

First, full time officials won't change anything. The only thing that would be different is that you'd be paying a bunch of guys to do nothing 5 days a week and still make mistakes on the field. They watch hours of film every weekend before games anyway, do you actually think that if they were full time they'd spend the whole week going over film that they can watch in a day? So unless you can find games for them to officiate throughout the week to increase their on-field/game speed experience this is not an answer. Full time officials will be niether more skilled nor less vulneralbe to making mistakes.

Second, review of every play or some kind of voting system will never happen. It would only lengthen the game. Computers should play more of role, like putting a tracker on the ball for instance, to help with exactness in ball placement and so on. I think the big problem is consistancy. It's a problem in every sport at every level. Officials are human and no matter how much they are paid or whether they are full-time, part-time, or volunteer, their job is to make judgement calls. At game speed, mistakes will be made, that's part of the game. Crews should be held accountable when they make the number of mistakes that they made last night though!
      "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
      - Mythbusters

"Go America... Go Broncos"
      - Stan, South Park

I cheer for three teams EVERY WEEK! The Broncos and whoever is playing the Raiders and the Patriots.
      - Me

God Bless the United States of America!

Comment

Working...
      X