Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Bowlen on the Portis Trade...

This article was in the Denver Post....

I have copied some of this in this forum...

Bowlen would have liked Portis to stay a Bronco. This trade was not Shanahan's doing it was all Bowlen.

Those of you that are blaming Mike Shanahan for this should not!!!

To prevent a holdout, Bowlen said he insisted his team attempt to make con- cessions. The Broncos offered Portis a $15 million insurance policy through Lloyd's of London, only to see the running back reject it.

"Man, I'm not accepting no insurance policies," Portis said at last month's Pro Bowl. "I've got my own. Insurance doesn't do anything for me. There's not the guarantee."

In turn, Bowlen said Denver recently proposed another guarantee. Shortly before the Broncos agreed to send Portis to Washington for cornerback Champ Bailey and the Redskins' second- round pick in the April draft, Denver offered to upgrade the running back's contract while adding years to it.

Bowlen said Portis informed Denver the only contract he would accept would be one that made him the highest paid running back in the game.

"Let's understand, I liked Clinton Portis," Bowlen said. "I thought he was a first-class guy. But all this animosity over his contract started not with us, but where he was picked in the draft. He was picked in the second round, and he thought he should have been at least a mid-first round pick and gotten a good chunk of his money up front. That was always eating away at him.

A Broncos official said the team also provided Portis and his agent with two other caveats:

The first-round pick they received had to be a top-10 pick.

Should Rosenhaus fail to find a taker, Portis had to return to Denver and play under the $15 million insurance policy or a reworked deal.

Washington didn't offer its first-round pick, but it did offer Bailey and the second-round pick Denver was demanding. The trade satisfied everybody.

Washington got a Pro Bowl running back. Denver got a Pro Bowl cornerback and a second-round pick. Portis got an eight-year, $50.5 million contract that included $17 million worth of bonuses. And Bailey got a nine-year, $63 million contract that included an $18 million signing bonus.

To those who believe the Broncos should have given that money to Portis, Bowlen said: "You've got a player going into the third year of a four-year contract. Certainly he deserves to be rewarded at the appropriate time, but you can't start rewriting a four-year deal halfway into it.

"If you do after he has just completed 50 percent of his contract, in my mind you get a lineup of players that play well and think, 'I deserve a new contract.' You can't operate a business that way. I thought it was premature to ask for that. But that might have been his agent talking. I don't know whether that was Clinton talking."

Clinton was a good player, he just did not have any patience.

Denver though might have got the best of this deal.

Time will tell....

My opinion is Clinton blew it. If he would have waited he would have got more money, but he did not. Sure he could have been afraid of injury, but he could get hurt in Washington just as easy as Denver.

Denver has shown that they have a running game and Washington has not at this time. We will see...
    Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Bowlen said Portis informed Denver the only contract he would accept would be one that made him the highest paid running back in the game.

hmm, maybe he should have gone to baltimore or tampa bay.
    sigpic
    go broncos
    share the sidewalk
    liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

Re: Pat Bowlen on the Portis Trade...

Originally posted by broncos4ever
      This trade was not Shanahan's doing it was all Bowlen.

Those of you that are blaming Mike Shanahan for this should not!!!
      That's what I've been saying ever since the rumors started.

But does anyone listen to the Factory? Ohhhh noooooo! :p

Comment

To those who believe the Broncos should have given that money to Portis, Bowlen said: "You've got a player going into the third year of a four-year contract. Certainly he deserves to be rewarded at the appropriate time, but you can't start rewriting a four-year deal halfway into it.

"If you do after he has just completed 50 percent of his contract, in my mind you get a lineup of players that play well and think, 'I deserve a new contract.' You can't operate a business that way.

case closed.
        sigpic
        go broncos
        share the sidewalk
        liberty > safety . . . ron paul '12!

Comment

So, CP still innocent? CP didn't threaten to hold out? CP would have played without a new contract? CP was helping rebuild the homeless shelter when the mean old Pat Bowlen came swooping down and decided to kick CP out of town for no good reason?

Someone turn the spin machine back on!
          Suck is NOT a bronco fan.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapseats
            So, CP still innocent? CP didn't threaten to hold out? CP would have played without a new contract? CP was helping rebuild the homeless shelter when the mean old Pat Bowlen came swooping down and decided to kick CP out of town for no good reason?

Someone turn the spin machine back on!

I wanted to either put the "praise" where it belonged or the "blame" where it belonged.

Bowlen was the one who said "trade" Clinton not Shanahan. It was up to Ted S. and Mike to make the best deal because Clinton did not want to play DENVER BRONCO football.

That is tough on us fans. I have really been a Clinton supporter because of the training camp story and what he did with my son.

It really seems selfish to me...
            Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

That's very interesting indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos4ever
                I wanted to either put the "praise" where it belonged or the "blame" where it belonged.

Bowlen was the one who said "trade" Clinton not Shanahan. It was up to Ted S. and Mike to make the best deal because Clinton did not want to play DENVER BRONCO football.

That is tough on us fans. I have really been a Clinton supporter because of the training camp story and what he did with my son.

It really seems selfish to me...
                Woops, my post was not really directed at you and what you specifically said in this thread.

But, as you know, I have been shedding a bad light on CP for the last few weeks, and all I get back from most of the Bronco loyals is...
                CP won't hold out
                CP didn't ask for more money
                CP is being traded because of an upgrade
                CP wants to be a bronco
                CP doesn't wear a cowboy costume and eat chocolate cake in the shower.

Now that the deal is done, Pat and the Rat will have a little more to say about their feelings towards CP.

Comment

Now that the deal is done, Pat and the Rat will have a little more to say about their feelings towards CP.
                  The rat?? Whom are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by DPg2003

Ed MacCaffrey!!
                    [QUOTE]
                    If someone uses one of your quotes, it really means that they agree with it and they're upset they didn't get the chance to say it first---- Dave Navarro 1991

The main reason I don't like the Bronco's is because every time I see their logo it reminds me of my drunk boyfriend who used to write his name in the snow with his urine then belch the letters of Elway's name----- Sandra Bernhard 1993

Comment

Originally posted by dhall26
                      Ed MacCaffrey!!
                      Aww Come on now!!
                      Everybody likes Eddie Mac!!
                      Even Chef fans!

Comment

Originally posted by dhall26
                        Ed MacCaffrey!!
                        What would Easy E have to say about the deal? he doesn't play anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by DPg2003
                          The guy standing on the sidelines standing next to the huge block of cheese.

Comment

Woops, my post was not really directed at you and what you specifically said in this thread.

But, as you know, I have been shedding a bad light on CP for the last few weeks, and all I get back from most of the Bronco loyals is...
                            CP won't hold out
                            CP didn't ask for more money
                            CP is being traded because of an upgrade
                            CP wants to be a bronco
                            CP doesn't wear a cowboy costume and eat chocolate cake in the shower.

There have been some of us BroncoManiacs that have disagreed with your statements though.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGlue Factory
                              There have been some of us BroncoManiacs that have disagreed with your statements though.
                              Hmmm, that's what I was trying to say... I'm probably being misunderstood, and this really isn't that important. I just feel this is more evidence to support my CP is a 'problem' theory

I really don't think CP is all that bad compared to most in the NFL, but I was amazed at the lengths some people would go to to portray CP as completely innocent in the whole thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X