Ron Dayne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Dayne

Steeler fan here with a quick question on one of your RB....We are in definate need of a RB this offseason and wondered what your opinions of Ron Dayne are. We have a shifty speed back but I don't really feel comfortable with Duce as our only grinder. Bettis is done & Verron Haynes (3rd down back) is an UFA.....Could Dayne carry the load if called upon?undefined

....By the way....you guys have a tough team and a class organization.....good luck in the playoffs next season......hopefully our teams meet again.....cheers

Originally posted by Undertow
    Steeler fan here with a quick question on one of your RB....We are in definate need of a RB this offseason and wondered what your opinions of Ron Dayne are. We have a shifty speed back but I don't really feel comfortable with Duce as our only grinder. Bettis is done & Verron Haynes (3rd down back) is an UFA.....Could Dayne carry the load if called upon?undefined

....By the way....you guys have a tough team and a class organization.....good luck in the playoffs next season......hopefully our teams meet again.....cheers
    Thanks for the compliment, and welcome to the board.

As for a RB, I would recommend the Steelers pick up Maurice Clarett.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
      Thanks for the compliment, and welcome to the board.

As for a RB, I would recommend the Steelers pick up Maurice Clarett.

-----
      Oh yeah....perfect guy to replace Bettis with....heard he has a lot of character???? Anyway just wondered on Dayne as he seems to fit the mold size wise but haven't really seen him play. I heard in the past that he doesn't really seem to use his size like Bettis to run people over but tries to cut a lot. Any truth to it?

Comment

Dayne produced when he had his number called here. I believe he can be a feature back, how well he produces is contingent on how well he fits into the system (which he does here).

Are Steeler fans talking about Dayne?
        You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Oh yeah....perfect guy to replace Bettis with....heard he has a lot of character???? Anyway just wondered on Dayne as he seems to fit the mold size wise but haven't really seen him play. I heard in the past that he doesn't really seem to use his size like Bettis to run people over but tries to cut a lot. Any truth to it?
          I think he's more of a one cut, downhill type runner. He's not like Mike Alstott used to be, but he wont shy away from contact.

Characterwise, I think he's shown good things here in Denver. He dident complain about being 3rd on the depth chart, and I remember the veterans of the team taking towards Dayne. (During training camp last year, he'd get huge applause from the rest of the team everytime he made a sick move).
          You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Do you think I would recommend one of our quality people?

Dayne is quality. You're not getting him. Forget it.

Seriously, be patient with Parker. He has serious potential.
            Battering rams come a dime a dozen. Maybe not a Bettis, but good enough.

-----

Comment

see thanksgiving game against cowboys

Comment

He is a one cut back. They screwed him up in NY asking him to put on big weight and using him as Thunder in that offense.

He is a 245 Scat back that makes a cut and is gone hard to tackle in the open. But will not run away from many DB's maybe a few LB's.

I hope Mikey will sign him to a longer term contract here in DEN as he really fits our scheme. I'll take a consistent 4.5 yards on every run the type that wears down a defense. By the last part of the third Qtr they are just phoning in the tackles.

TOP wins most games keep the ball away from the all pro QB on the other side of the LOS and you win most games.

Comment

I think Dayne would do good in Pitt's system. But he still hasn't proven he can take the load of a feature back. He did show tons of potential in the few games he got carries in last season though.
                  sigpic

Thank you for everything Darrent. I'll never forget #27.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhampton
                    He is a one cut back. They screwed him up in NY asking him to put on big weight and using him as Thunder in that offense.

He is a 245 Scat back that makes a cut and is gone hard to tackle in the open. But will not run away from many DB's maybe a few LB's.

I hope Mikey will sign him to a longer term contract here in DEN as he really fits our scheme. I'll take a consistent 4.5 yards on every run the type that wears down a defense. By the last part of the third Qtr they are just phoning in the tackles.

TOP wins most games keep the ball away from the all pro QB on the other side of the LOS and you win most games.
                    Very good post.

NY did screw dayne. It made him look like a fool, like a bust.

This guy isn't done yet. He hasn't been taking as many hits, and he has A LOT of gas left in him.

Sign him to a longer contract Mike..... It will be a good decision to do so.

Comment

Just a side note: Weren't the EAGLES trying to get Dayne from us before last season started??

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
                      sigpic

Comment

Like many others here have said, Dayne isn't really a grinder like NY tried to use him as. He could be an every down back which I hope we keep him and give him the chance to do for us next season.
                        The new website is about as ugly as Paris Hilton. Put the blue back!

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                          Do you think I would recommend one of our quality people?

Dayne is quality. You're not getting him. Forget it.

Seriously, be patient with Parker. He has serious potential.
                          Battering rams come a dime a dozen. Maybe not a Bettis, but good enough.

-----
                          Parker has major, major speed but I doubt he can run the rock 25 times a game. He is kind of a homerun hitter and with the way our offense has been....we need more of a .300 hitter. 3-4 yards a pop. Parker may go 10 carries in a row for no gain and all the sudden rip one off for 75. That is great if you rely on your passing game a lot more than we do and pass on 1st & second down frequently. Who knows though.....through the playoff run our OC opened it up and seemed to take the cuffs off of Ben a little more.

The way our RB situation was we need that pounder. Parker was the starter and Haynes was the 3rd down back. Once we got the lead Bettis was the closer and also the short yardage guy. They each had their role. Now we still have Parker and I hope they resign Haynes as he is an UFA. That leaves Duce to take over Bettis role and I just don't know if he can do it. He looked great the first 7 games of 2004 but hasn't done squat since due to injury. Thus why I ask about Dayne. I was thinking Dayne or TJ Duckett would be decent pickups.

Comment

I think Dayne has the potential to be a top rusher in the league if he fits the scheme,and with shanny I think it's a good fit. Some say that he's another heisman bust, but he has'nt really had an opportunity to show what he can do. Yeah he was with the giants , but they went in the wrong direction with him, and tried to make him into a back he is not. It will be interesting to see who ends up being the #1 RB next season.

Comment

Not that Denver would want to part ways with him, but if they did what type of compensation would you guys consider fair? 3rd rounder? Maybe a 2nd? Just trying to get a feel for what is out there. Thanks for your opinions.

Comment

Working...
                              X