Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does BVP have the intangibles to be a good QB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does BVP have the intangibles to be a good QB?

I think overall Rasizer's assesments are good but I'm not so sure on the bottom one. On the one hand I agree with him that we need to go and get a veteran back up qb but on the other hand, I'm not convinced that BVP has all the intangibles you look for in qb.

Broncos Team Report
    2/12/2006

By Lee Rasizer
    Rocky Mountain News

The Broncos assured the return of their "big nickel" package by re-signing S Sam Brandon, whose primary duty was covering tight ends in a three-safety look last season. But that shouldn't be viewed as Denver merely sticking to the status quo. With starting Ss Nick Ferguson and John Lynch both in their 30s, Denver will, in all likelihood draft a safety on the first day, with an eye towards someone who has better range and coverage skills than the incumbents. Lynch is more an "in the box" safety, while Ferguson, while flashing improved ball instincts this season, lacks top-end speed at his position.

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: The Broncos made a substantial investment in Jeb Putzier and want him to remain on the field more than just in spread formations and two tight-end sets. But his blocking still needs to continue to improve. He'll never be a mauler, but needs to use his hands and body positioning to shield defenders more effectively. Putzier was a receiver in college that wasn't called upon to block much and while he's made progress, the coaching staff still trusts Stephen Alexander more in that facet. Alexander did a solid job as a blocker, but his role in the passing game was nominal and he dropped some passes. And having Putzier on the field provides one of the few downfield threats Denver has on the offensive side currently. . . .

D.J. Williams still is a strong sideline-to-sideline defender who remains solid in run support. But he will have to make marked improvements in his coverage abilities in his third pro season if he's going to log more playing time next season. Williams' snaps declined with the acquisition of Ian Gold, who at various times was responsible for matchup up with running backs, tight ends and receivers. Coaches also had more confidence sticking Brandon into three-safety defensive package than leaving Williams on the field.

HARD TRUTH: QB Jake Plummer has been as much of an ironman as can be expected, given the position he plays, including going the distance this past season. But the Broncos shouldn't be playing with fire if they consider themselves, as they do, legitimate Super Bowl contenders next year. Backup QB Bradlee Van Pelt has all the intangibles desired of a developmental backup, foremost his competitive fire and ability to rally the troops, but he's raw and putting him into long-term action could jeopardize those lofty goals. It's time Denver signs a veteran backup this offseason as legit insurance.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

I pretty much agree with that assesment. I really like BVP. I think if he had a chance, he could develop into a good quarterback. He's sure athletic enough. He just needs to play more.

Unfortunately, thats unlikely to happen, and if it does occur during the next season, then yup, we are in for a rough road. But that's not a knock on him. Not too many players can just come in raw and pick up where the starter left off. Yes, it's been done, but those cases are rare.

I feel playing time, weather it in Europe, or on a team where he can actually play will prove BVP out to be a decent QB. If it does happen here, he could be good, and as happy as I'd be to see him get a chance, I would be very worried about the immediate future.

I just think he needs experience.

Ya know, it's hard to say on the young Denver backup QB's. Over the years, we have heard how great they all could be, but we never really got the chance to see any of them get the chance. Tommy Maddox is the only one to get a real shot in the NFL, and that was a decade after he left here.

Jeff Lewis
    Shawn Moore

Just to name two the come to mind right away.

Also, bringing in a QB with playing experience isnt really that much better of an option in my book. While such a player might have that experience, he would be even less familiar with how the Broncos run things than BVP is.

Just gotta hope Jake can stay as healthy as he has so far. Anybody replacing him is probably going to be in for a rough ride. Especially if it happens mid-season.

Comment

No He Is What He Is,and Thats A Back Up. Jake Is Tha Man And Hes Been Tha Man

Comment

forget intangibles-- has rasizer seen the guy try to throw the ball?! accuracy isn't an intangible. . .
        Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

The tangibles of BVP is the coaching staff believes in him, no matter if anyone else does. It also seems like his teammates believe in him also. Now he has not made the greatest showing but the coaching staff watch him every day in practice and think that he could come in and win the game and start games if needed. There are many times this season when players went down the staff could have went out and got a different quarterback but they chose not to. There has to be a reason for that. If they did not believe Bradley could be a good QB then they would have got some one else, but they did not.

What I see in BVP is a will to win, can make things happen with his legs, smart enough to know the system, adequate passing. What did Pittsburgh think of Ben R. until he had to be forced to be the starter?? In watching Bradley here in Fort Collins and seeing him play for CSU, he never put up terrific stats but always had a way of getting the team a win or a real close loss.

Everytime someone has said to Mike S. get a veteran, he always says he is happy with what he has.
          Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

Well we know BVP can scramble and run pretty damn well. His passing is still a question-mark though; what we saw was an inevitably floppy game against a solid San Diego defense in the rain. I'd sure like to see him to get some playing time; it's always exciting to watch an athlete like him.

"When Kepler found his long-cherished belief did not agree with the most precise observation, he accepted the uncomfortable fact. He preferred the hard truth to his dearest illusions; that is the heart of science."
            - Carl Sagan

Comment

Either Mike is genuinely happy or he is one heck of a BS'er.

We haven't seen enough of BVP in actual gametime to see what Shanny sees in him.

He could be a great practice time player, but that does not always translate well in a big spot. He did not have a good showing vs the Chargers, but that may be attributed to nerves.

Sometimes it is better to have a third option than no option.
              (Unless your the Jets then you need like 6 options)
              The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Elway

Sometimes it is better to have a third option than no option.
                (Unless your the Jets then you need like 6 options)
                yeah-- if rod smith has to play QB, who's he supposed to throw it to?
                Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Well . . .

BVP's passing scares me to death.

Still . . . .he has an irrepressible will about him. I witnessed that when he was leading the team at CSU. It just seemed he willed his team to win. I remember a QB of yore like that. Couldn't seem to throw a tight spiral . . . .sometimes not even a loose spiral. I mean, he was an uuuugly QB.

All this QB did in his last season was to lead his team to a 12-2 record (14 games back then), then into the Super Bowl (where they did lose), and finished his year in the Pro Bowl. His name was Joe Kapp, and his team was the Minnesota Vikings. Perhaps some of the old-timers here remember him.

BVP is so much like him. He can run like him, he is tough like him (Kapp would never allow anyone to help him up), and, as I mentioned, he has his will. (Could that be the "IT" Ravage was talking about?) There is only one difference . . .

Believe it or not, BVP throws a better ball . . .

-----
                  Last edited by topscribe; 02-14-2006, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Who knows? He had a rough outing in San Diego, and it seemed like he was nervous, which is probably why he pulled it down and scrambled before checking all his recievers a lot. I'd like to see him play a whole game and throw more than 8 passes though.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Comment

He did have entire half to work with. I realize he was probably pretty nervous and the weather conditions weren't ideal to say the least, but I'm just not to sure if really has what it takes. We'll see and hopefully by next season he'll have improved. Btw I still think having a veteran back up couldn't hurt. It makes me nervouls that we only have two qbs on the roster.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

I think that he could be a definate asset to the team in a "Slash" role ala Kordell Stewert, but I also know I'd be scared to death if Jake goes down with a long term injury, and no veteran with real NFL QB experience behind him.

BVP is a great athlete, I don't know if he is a legitimate 2n string qb in the NFL. Only time will tell.

Comment

There is no doubt in my mind that BVP is not currently a pro calibre quarterback. However, we got through the season without having to use him. He, now, has the off season, minicamps, and preseason ahead of him. If he has the tools and the desire, he has the opportunity to get from where he is to where an NFL QB needs to be. If he will invest the time in the film room with the staff, his ability to read defenses can become exponentially better. If he will work on the throwing mechanics and put in the time with his receivers, accuracy can be greatly improved.

Having said that- a vast investment of time and effort to change old habits IMO is required. I hope that he feels the same way.

Comment

Even if BVP makes the effort and is able to improve I still think we should have another qb on the roster. In this day and age just having two on the roster is asking for trouble imho.

Thanks Snk16

Comment

I think BVP is a great QB coming off a Practice Squad rookie year. I think he has improved so much and he deserves to be there. I agree that we should maybe find antoher back-up, but for now he is great. He will definately replace Plummer in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                              X