Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does BVP have the intangibles to be a good QB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd love to see Kitna as a backup, but I don't think the Bangles will let him go. If they do, I think he's going to want a chance to start somewhere.

Jake has been extremely durable (lucky?) the last two seasons, but that is a tough position to start year after year without infury. Culpepper, McNabb, Roethlisburger, are all tough, strong QBs who have lost time in the last two years to injury. I'd like to see a veteran qb (Ramsey maybe?) come in as an insurance policy, in case Jake goes down.

BVP may not be a bad #3, but I don't see him as a solid #2. My guess is the coaching staff rolled the dice last year, and came up lucky. That won't happen every year.

Comment

I was at the game in SD last year. It was actually quite funny. SD new he was going to run and they just couldn't stop him. Everyone on the bench and on the field looked like they were in a panic. For sure we need to bring in a number three at least to add some competition with Jake because I do not know if BVP will ever challenge him.

Comment

I have seen this kid play here at CSU, even then he was a bit of a joke
        haha what a poor opinion. Moreno was good but I dont think he was given much of a chance to play at the professional level. Which is the same thing thats happening to BVP. He's getting compared to Plummer in all aspects which is ridiculous. BVP has only had one year being a backup in the NFL. By listening to most talk, everyone acts like he is a veteran of many years

Give him a chance develop some skill!
        Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by broncos4ever
          I definitely see your point TX, but I am not sure the coaches do, after all they are the ones that make that choice. I also like Kitna, because he would be a serviceable backup, someone else mentioned him as backup and I do like that idea. I was surprised also that we only went with two quarterbacks last year. It will be interesting what Mike S. does next year on this front. He may be looking at using a draft pick to get a quarterback and groom him. BVP certainly did not improve his stock any with the poor showing against San Diego.
          Yeah I understand the coaches obviously are thinking something different. My point is twofold. One, if BVP is going to remain a back up qb he really needs to improve. Two, I honestly think not having a third qb is playing with fire.
          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
            Yeah I understand the coaches obviously are thinking something different. My point is twofold. One, if BVP is going to remain a back up qb he really needs to improve. Two, I honestly think not having a third qb is playing with fire.
            I agree.

I also think that BVP being the only competition at QB, St. Jake isn't being pushed to do his job. Let's be real, at this stage in his career, BVP is no threat to take over at QB.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
              I agree.

I also think that BVP being the only competition at QB, St. Jake isn't being pushed to do his job. Let's be real, at this stage in his career, BVP is no threat to take over at QB.
              MTNMAN being "pushed" can sometimes be a good thing and can also be a bad thing. Now I know you don't like Jake and what he brings, but I remember when Kubiak was Elways backup and everyone knew he was not going to start over Elway. When you bring in someone that can do the job as well as Jake, you develop a quarterback controversy. Mike has defended Jake and has given him a bonus, there is no way that he is going to let someone has Jake's job. Look how long Mike held on to Griese for example.

Now if he wants to bring in a person who is a good backup then that would be great that is a veteran, but Mike will let them know they will not have a chance to start because there is in only one starter and that will be Jake.
              Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

Originally posted by broncos4ever
                MTNMAN being "pushed" can sometimes be a good thing and can also be a bad thing. Now I know you don't like Jake and what he brings, but I remember when Kubiak was Elways backup and everyone knew he was not going to start over Elway. When you bring in someone that can do the job as well as Jake, you develop a quarterback controversy. Mike has defended Jake and has given him a bonus, there is no way that he is going to let someone has Jake's job. Look how long Mike held on to Griese for example.

Now if he wants to bring in a person who is a good backup then that would be great that is a veteran, but Mike will let them know they will not have a chance to start because there is in only one starter and that will be Jake.
                Well, I disagree....

SUPPOSEDLY, EVERY position is up for grabs. This from Shanny's own mouth every season.

Anybody here think that's true for the QB position?

Competition makes every player better. With no competition, that won't happen at the QB position.

I think a QB controversy wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. It would keep both of them sharp.
                sigpic

Comment

Well, I disagree....

SUPPOSEDLY, EVERY position is up for grabs. This from Shanny's own mouth every season.

Competition makes every player better. With no competition, that won't happen at the QB position.

I think a QB controversy wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. It would keep both of them sharp.
                  Well of course you will disagree... Why I am I not surprised??? I agree with that statement about controversy unless the position is sewn up. If the position is already a given then you don't rock the boat.

Remember a certain coach by the name of Dan Reeves... He decided that he and John were not going to get along so he decided out of the blue to use a first round draft pick on a guy by the name of Tommy Maddox, instead of picking up a receiver called Carl Pickens. The rest is history.

Terrell Davis had the running back position sewn up, did Mike S. bring someone in to challenge for that job. No that was Terrell's job and no one was going to take that position away.

Even bringing in Terrell Owens which I am for, could have its issues with Rod Smith but because he is so classy it won't. But do you think for one minute Ashley can compete against TO, how do you think that is going to make him feel? I guess Ashley has lost Mike S.'s confidence and that is the reason why he is looking for an upgrade....

Jake has not lost Mike's confidence so that is why he is not going to bring someone in that could take Jake's job in my opinion.

Comment

I think overall Rasizer's assesments are good but I'm not so sure on the bottom one. On the one hand I agree with him that we need to go and get a veteran back up qb but on the other hand, I'm not convinced that BVP has all the intangibles you look for in qb.

Broncos Team Report
                    2/12/2006

By Lee Rasizer
                    Rocky Mountain News

The Broncos assured the return of their "big nickel" package by re-signing S Sam Brandon, whose primary duty was covering tight ends in a three-safety look last season. But that shouldn't be viewed as Denver merely sticking to the status quo. With starting Ss Nick Ferguson and John Lynch both in their 30s, Denver will, in all likelihood draft a safety on the first day, with an eye towards someone who has better range and coverage skills than the incumbents. Lynch is more an "in the box" safety, while Ferguson, while flashing improved ball instincts this season, lacks top-end speed at his position.

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: The Broncos made a substantial investment in Jeb Putzier and want him to remain on the field more than just in spread formations and two tight-end sets. But his blocking still needs to continue to improve. He'll never be a mauler, but needs to use his hands and body positioning to shield defenders more effectively. Putzier was a receiver in college that wasn't called upon to block much and while he's made progress, the coaching staff still trusts Stephen Alexander more in that facet. Alexander did a solid job as a blocker, but his role in the passing game was nominal and he dropped some passes. And having Putzier on the field provides one of the few downfield threats Denver has on the offensive side currently. . . .

D.J. Williams still is a strong sideline-to-sideline defender who remains solid in run support. But he will have to make marked improvements in his coverage abilities in his third pro season if he's going to log more playing time next season. Williams' snaps declined with the acquisition of Ian Gold, who at various times was responsible for matchup up with running backs, tight ends and receivers. Coaches also had more confidence sticking Brandon into three-safety defensive package than leaving Williams on the field.

HARD TRUTH: QB Jake Plummer has been as much of an ironman as can be expected, given the position he plays, including going the distance this past season. But the Broncos shouldn't be playing with fire if they consider themselves, as they do, legitimate Super Bowl contenders next year. Backup QB Bradlee Van Pelt has all the intangibles desired of a developmental backup, foremost his competitive fire and ability to rally the troops, but he's raw and putting him into long-term action could jeopardize those lofty goals. It's time Denver signs a veteran backup this offseason as legit insurance.
                    BVP is no better than a bench warmer in the NFL. He is the next Eric Crouch, too proud to make a position change (he might make a great safety). I am not sure how BVP has made it this far as our number two QB. If Jake ever went down our season would be lost.

I think that we need to make a move in the draft to take a good quarterback and not depend on BVP. He still thinks he is in college.
                    Ten year veterans should play like ten year veterans.

"Do you like to do it yourself?" - The 40 Year Old Virgin

Comment

Well, I disagree....

Do you really think that Elawy's job or TD's once he became the number one back were in jeopardy?
                      John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Do you really think that Elawy's job or TD's once he became the number one back were in jeopardy?

Thanks TX. I got your back on the next one. By the way I did find an article on Dayne. Shanny actually said something, I put it in the post. This actually is getting fun again...

B4E

Comment

Draft a QB

With 9 or 10 picks, why not draft a QB late on 1st day or 2nd day? I'm sure the staff is aware that the team would be lost without Jake. BVP is a project. I see the situation as a risk that really should be reduced. Of course, if Jake gets hurt next year, BVP and a rookie QB aren't going to give much help.

Comment

--- No ---

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

Do you really think that Elway needed to improve as much as St. Jake?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X