No announcement yet.

2006 Defensive starting lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well if coyer would play more dime and quarters packages maybe we would have a chance at stopping those good passing teams
    sigpic

Comment

My attempt to bring some civility back to this thread...

Getting back to the first poster and the suggested starting front seven. Your suggestion isn't bad at all given the players we have now and the time of year it is right now. But we don't have to field a defensive team for 2006 in mid-February. We have free agency, the draft, NFL Europe, minicamp, training camp, and preseason before we need to set our starting lineup.

Personally, I think that Courtney Brown and Trevor Pryce didn't show much the last half of the year. I'd like them both not to be back for 2006 and I'd look hard for their replacements. I like Ekuban and Myers and Warren, and think they will play a big part next season, if contracts can be worked out for Warren. But I think we need to see a strong DE in free agency or the draft to gain the improvements we need, vs. just shuffling around existing personnel.

So yeah, your lineup isn't bad per se, but it isn't great either. They didn't get us to where we wanted to go. You could say they got us within two wins of our goal, but looking at the details and how we were exploited in the AFCC game, we have a bit of work to do in trying to get better. I think that will take one or two new starting players that aren't even on the team yet.

Comment

sounds good to me
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncobuckeyes
          hey its all good the guy lancane was being a butthole just because i say he is full of BS
          Personally I do not care what you nor anyone else thinks... Thank you though, but the fact is when you wake up you go do your thing, as when I get up I go do mine. You can disagree all you want, I still coached, I still am an analyst, I will still get paid for my opinion by Boosters and Organizations in regards to athletes. Nothing on this board will or can change that, so why you may not care, as others might not either, the real people who do believe in me, listen to me and pay for my opinion... They are the ones that matter, and you watch those same teams that paid me play on Saturdays and Sundays and your rooting for athletes I helped them recruit, acquire or draft.

Last edited by lancane; 02-15-2006, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Defensive line

I thought that the d-line was much improved from the past few seasons. We finally got some big "tanks" up front, and we didn't get pushed around like past seasons. In fact, some of the games that I saw we at times manhandled teams. Yes, I know, we got pressure but not a lot of sacks-we would REALLY benefit from a speedy pass rusher who can sack the QB-then I think we'd really be on the right track; but overall I was pretty pleased with the d-line. Just my opinion-we're on the right track, NOW LET'S KEEP BUILDING ON IT!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grover
              My attempt to bring some civility back to this thread...

Getting back to the first poster and the suggested starting front seven. Your suggestion isn't bad at all given the players we have now and the time of year it is right now. But we don't have to field a defensive team for 2006 in mid-February. We have free agency, the draft, NFL Europe, minicamp, training camp, and preseason before we need to set our starting lineup.

Personally, I think that Courtney Brown and Trevor Pryce didn't show much the last half of the year. I'd like them both not to be back for 2006 and I'd look hard for their replacements. I like Ekuban and Myers and Warren, and think they will play a big part next season, if contracts can be worked out for Warren. But I think we need to see a strong DE in free agency or the draft to gain the improvements we need, vs. just shuffling around existing personnel.

So yeah, your lineup isn't bad per se, but it isn't great either. They didn't get us to where we wanted to go. You could say they got us within two wins of our goal, but looking at the details and how we were exploited in the AFCC game, we have a bit of work to do in trying to get better. I think that will take one or two new starting players that aren't even on the team yet.
              Personally I felt that Trevor tailed off at the end of the season and Courtney came on.

Here are three lines of thought on how I believe that the Broncos can get better defensively. We must either draft people to fit the scheme that we presently have or change the scheme to fit our personnel. The third is to do both. Shanahan and Coyer will make that decission.

I feel the Broncos got as much milage out of what they had as can be expected. It is not draft time and decisions must be made that the defense will have to live with for another year, but changes are in order. I don't favor going to the 3-4. We don't presently nor IMO likely to get the people to be effective. As for the type of 4-3, I favor the present system with either Pryce or preferably Brown as the RDE (they are twins so not both). Draft a pass rushing DE at least in passing situations and a D-tackle with either quickness or power that can collapse the pocket. Play a safety with some coverage ability so that we can play man free and some bump and run (yes I know the rooks are not very big).

Most of the defense's problem was not being able to get off the field in third and long. I think these changes would help in that regard. D-line techniques, LB shadings, and safety alignment could be used to give situational aid to the LDE if necessary.

I think we will be solid next year with a decent draft. This is one man's opinion.

Comment

man you guys are hardcore, its just a game
                Buckeye....

Did you fudge your profile a bit? Cause it says you are 23... Somehow though from your posts (and I DO NOT just mean the ones in this thread) you come off more like a 13 year old. Did you maybe mean 1992???

It's ok we all make mistakes.

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

My thoughts would be as follows....

Courtney Brown, if he will re-structure his contract he is IMO worth keeping. The end of the year showed a little more explosion, primarily in run stopping, and he could continue to be a solid but not spectacular piece on the strong side as a part of a rotation if he will re-structure.

Gerard Warren seems to be a priority and I expect him to be re-signed.

At the other DT spot I would be looking at Claude Wroten of LSU or Broderick Bunkley of FSU with the 29th pick in the draft. Obviously they would begin as a part of a rotation with those in place like Myers while they get their feet wet.

We NEED to add more speed to the pass rush at the other DE spot, this is why, no matter how much I like Tamba Hali I do not think he is the right fit for us. He does not figure to be a big sack guy at the next level, perhaps 7-9 a year, but should be a proficient run stopper and an all around smart player. That said, I would use the #22 pick preferably on Manny Lawson out of NC State if available, otherwise looking at Kiwanuka at that spot. Kiwi took some steps back this year and will need to work on technique, but the natural talent is there and he has the abilities to fit the mold somewhere between KGB and S. Rice. I would also look into DE Kalimba Edwards from Detroit as a possibility to bring pending price tag, to use with Lawson and to offer a slightly more veteran presence.

LB's would stay the same, at the time I don't care to get into a long explanation on such. There are things that can be done for more improvement, specifically in depth, but we'll leave that for another time.

CB is developing well, obviously with Champ playing at a DPOY type of level, and Foxworth and Williams will have another year under their belt in development and maturity towards the NFL game. Particularly, I expect Foxworth to take a big step forward during the offseason. In college he was 4 year starter with great consistency and he has the abilities to emerge IMO in the form of a Sheldon Brown with increased film study.

Safety is really the other defensive position without complete clarity. As of now, we know that Lynch and Fergy can hold their own, but youth and speed must see an upgrade. Personally, I would use our second round pick on Anthony Smith out of Syracuse. He's a great leader, very instinctive and has a balanced game. Not to mention he is coming out of this most recent season under the defense of Greg Robinson and would be a good fit coming into Denver to get ready to step into a starting role.

I believe that is three rookies who we will have an option of drafting very high who can contribute early on in a rotation role until they are ready. The rookies again being M. Lawson, C. Wroten/Bunkley, and Anthony Smith. With our high picks in the draft, it makes sense to focus on defense in the draft and offense in FA. Defense has carried a high mark in FA, especially pass rushing d-lineman and that will price them out of our range. Unless someone like Kalimba Edwards comes at a decent price.

But FA is set up this year to have more bargains available on the offensive side of the ball available via trade or FA.

Just a quick .02 since we're on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanCam
                    Buckeye....

Did you fudge your profile a bit? Cause it says you are 23... Somehow though from your posts (and I DO NOT just mean the ones in this thread) you come off more like a 13 year old. Did you maybe mean 1992???

just because i dont take the time to write everything properly doesnt mean anything.

if you dont have anything to say about my post then dont post anything at all smart ass
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lancane
                      Personally I do not care what you nor anyone else thinks... Thank you though, but the fact is when you wake up you go do your thing, as when I get up I go do mine. You can disagree all you want, I still coached, I still am an analyst, I will still get paid for my opinion by Boosters and Organizations in regards to athletes. Nothing on this board will or can change that, so why you may not care, as others might not either, the real people who do believe in me, listen to me and pay for my opinion... They are the ones that matter, and you watch those same teams that paid me play on Saturdays and Sundays and your rooting for athletes I helped them recruit, acquire or draft.

hey man good for you but i dont think i root for any of the teams that you would recruit for, unless you recruit for the broncos, who do you recruit for community colleges? those guys that pay you must have nothing else better to do with that money
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jletourneau
                        My thoughts would be as follows....

Courtney Brown, if he will re-structure his contract he is IMO worth keeping. The end of the year showed a little more explosion, primarily in run stopping, and he could continue to be a solid but not spectacular piece on the strong side as a part of a rotation if he will re-structure.

Gerard Warren seems to be a priority and I expect him to be re-signed.

At the other DT spot I would be looking at Claude Wroten of LSU or Broderick Bunkley of FSU with the 29th pick in the draft. Obviously they would begin as a part of a rotation with those in place like Myers while they get their feet wet.

We NEED to add more speed to the pass rush at the other DE spot, this is why, no matter how much I like Tamba Hali I do not think he is the right fit for us. He does not figure to be a big sack guy at the next level, perhaps 7-9 a year, but should be a proficient run stopper and an all around smart player. That said, I would use the #22 pick preferably on Manny Lawson out of NC State if available, otherwise looking at Kiwanuka at that spot. Kiwi took some steps back this year and will need to work on technique, but the natural talent is there and he has the abilities to fit the mold somewhere between KGB and S. Rice. I would also look into DE Kalimba Edwards from Detroit as a possibility to bring pending price tag, to use with Lawson and to offer a slightly more veteran presence.

LB's would stay the same, at the time I don't care to get into a long explanation on such. There are things that can be done for more improvement, specifically in depth, but we'll leave that for another time.

CB is developing well, obviously with Champ playing at a DPOY type of level, and Foxworth and Williams will have another year under their belt in development and maturity towards the NFL game. Particularly, I expect Foxworth to take a big step forward during the offseason. In college he was 4 year starter with great consistency and he has the abilities to emerge IMO in the form of a Sheldon Brown with increased film study.

Safety is really the other defensive position without complete clarity. As of now, we know that Lynch and Fergy can hold their own, but youth and speed must see an upgrade. Personally, I would use our second round pick on Anthony Smith out of Syracuse. He's a great leader, very instinctive and has a balanced game. Not to mention he is coming out of this most recent season under the defense of Greg Robinson and would be a good fit coming into Denver to get ready to step into a starting role.

I believe that is three rookies who we will have an option of drafting very high who can contribute early on in a rotation role until they are ready. The rookies again being M. Lawson, C. Wroten/Bunkley, and Anthony Smith. With our high picks in the draft, it makes sense to focus on defense in the draft and offense in FA. Defense has carried a high mark in FA, especially pass rushing d-lineman and that will price them out of our range. Unless someone like Kalimba Edwards comes at a decent price.

But FA is set up this year to have more bargains available on the offensive side of the ball available via trade or FA.

Just a quick .02 since we're on the subject.
                        Thanks for actually posting something meaningful and on the subject, unlike some other posters that come in here.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lancane

well you may have alot of experience in the matter but the way you talked earlier just made you sound like a jackass, calling me names wasnt cool. never did i call you anything or talk about your mom. thats cool shows what your made of, at least i cant touch you on that level.
                          sigpic

Comment

just because i dont take the time to write everything properly doesnt mean anything.

if you dont have anything to say about my post then dont post anything at all smart ass
                            Oooops! See I told you we all make mistakes!

At DT i would start Gerald Warren and Micheal Myers -
                            At LE Courtney Brown
                            At RE Trevor Pryce
                            I think we will address the d-line heavily in the draft and therefore have a stud of a young d-lineman (hopefully two) to push Myers to the bench, and also challenge Pryce for the starting job - (he is a shadow of what he used to be). Warren and Brown I agree with assumiing the bothe re-work their contracts, to lesser money and more years.

LBs: Ian Gold, Al Wilson, DJ williams
                            CBs: Champ Bailey and Darrent Williams
                            FS: John Lynch
                            SS: Sam Brandon
                            I would agree with this unless a) Browner really steps up in camp, or b) we happen to spend a 1st rounder on a safety (permitting one of the two really good ones falls to us at #29) then I would consider moving Brandon back.

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

Buckeye....

what are you an english teacher? you need to come at me with something better than that just because i dont write my posts like a report thats due for english 101 doesnt make me 13. instead of knocking all my threads, which arent that bad by the way, why dont you come up with something useful to say instead of the same meaningless junk.
                              sigpic

Comment

Oooops! See I told you we all make mistakes!

I think we will address the d-line heavily in the draft and therefore have a stud of a young d-lineman (hopefully two) to push Myers to the bench, and also challenge Pryce for the starting job - (he is a shadow of what he used to be). Warren and Brown I agree with assumiing the bothe re-work their contracts, to lesser money and more years.

I would agree with this unless a) Browner really steps up in camp, or b) we happen to spend a 1st rounder on a safety (permitting one of the two really good ones falls to us at #29) then I would consider moving Brandon back.
                                well thank you for finally posting something actually related to the subject of the thread
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X