2006 Defensive starting lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXBRONC
    I guess you and Top have pretty much summed it all up. Now maybe we can get back to the theme of the thread.
    Your right TX....

As far as safeties on the defense are concerned I really think Brandon was resigned to compete, but I do not think he is back to take over the Strong Safety position, his contract is a four year deal (I believe) and that makes me think he is Lynch's replacement, Brandon is a hitter not a cover type safety. And Browner I think will give Ferguson a run for the Strong Safety position, being a big former cornerback he has ball hawking skills that our safeties currently lack, but I would not be suprised to see Denver draft a safety to help compete.

Corners are going to get better, I know a lot of people are big on Williams but I think Foxworth will beat him out for the starting spot, Williams will remain the Nickle.

I am not sure what will happen with Linebackers because of D.J.'s recent off the field issues, but Shanahan might use him as trade bait (Opinion) but Williams carries some good value, Denver right now has some good backers but one thing is we need depth, I like Chukwurah though, maybe he could - if Williams left compete, or he could line up as a speed end in some situations. But we really need depth here....

The rotation maybe a little over used as far as the line but having six defensive ends is not a bad thing, something like three speed rushers and three run stoppers. Though I think with audibles and change-ups it is even harder to do a proper rotation per sets. I think Denver is making a move to add speed to the line with Gause and Ekuban we have two 275lbs. ends, Engleberger is a 265lbs. rush end and if they could draft Kiwanuka or another light fast end. Denver also is big on Jackson from the practice squad, so we will have to see how that plays out. And we will all see what they do as far as Brown and Pryce, though in my opinion neither did real well. Out of the Browncos the best three I saw as far as the line was Myers, Ekuban and Warren, though I think we need another big tackle also to compete and at least help in rotations.

In the end I would not be surprised to see Denver add a few no name D-Linemen into camp and about three or four from the draft.
    Last edited by lancane; 02-16-2006, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Completely agree on Foxworth and Williams as I posted earlier in the thread.

Foxy to me is very capable of showing up similarly to Sheldon Brown of the Eagles. He was incredibly consistent for 4 years in college, and I believe the offseason and film study will prove to be the difference for him.

This is not to take anything away from Darrent Williams, I love him as a nickel corner and the aggressiveness he brings to the defense, but I believe Foxworth will use the offseason to his advantage and we will see a big jump.

As far as the D-line, I won't go into much detail because I already did earlier in the thread, I'm intrigued to see what Corey Jackson and George Gause may bring to the competition. I do not think Pryce will be back unless it is at a seriously reduced rate, and though Courtney did not prove to be anything special I believe he showed a lot more explosion in run stopping at the end of the year compared to what was there in recovery from the injury. The lis franc injury Brown came back from has been a career ender for some in the past, especially someone Brown's size and at his strong side end position.

But I noticed a considerable difference in strength and explosion late in the year and am intrigued what another offseason of fully recovered training could do for him in resurgence of his abilities, because lets face it, Brown has the physical capabilities of a freak, they just have not been realized and may never be. But signs of explosion are encouraging if he will significantly re-structure. I'd rather keep him around then Pryce who I do not think always has his heart in it.

I would not mind adding Kiwi at 22, but my first choice is still Manny Lawson from N.C. State. I like Tamba Hali a great deal, but do not believe he would bring us the specifics that we need. Lawson, Kiwi, Wimbley, Tapp, etc are more in the mold IMO of what we should add. If we could add Lawson/Kiwi at 22, and a DT at 29 or 2nd round, I think it would be beneficial. A DT at 29 I would prefer Wroten/Bunkley for penetration abilities, or if we wait until the 2nd round I would be looking at McCargo/K. Williams. But lots of time and workouts for things to change.

Comment

Originally posted by broncobuckeyes
        man you all are crazy you think you know it all or something, you guys are football geniouses for real. well not you all just the guy that said this thread is nonsense
        Ouch! You really got me on that one.

Comment

ok mr. redneck you are right you know everything their is to know about football, and your always right, gimme a break
          Aww dont tell me that its really so easy to get under your skin and control your attitude like this? lol
          Look dude I would apoligize for hurting your feelings, but if you look at it, I only used so many words.
          Meaning it was not my intentions but hey, maybe if you could learn to explain your point of views better, I wouldnt refer to your threads as narrow minded non-sense.

Comment

Originally posted by lancane
            Your right TX....

As far as safeties on the defense are concerned I really think Brandon was resigned to compete, but I do not think he is back to take over the Strong Safety position, his contract is a four year deal (I believe) and that makes me think he is Lynch's replacement, Brandon is a hitter not a cover type safety. And Browner I think will give Ferguson a run for the Strong Safety position, being a big former cornerback he has ball hawking skills that our safeties currently lack, but I would not be suprised to see Denver draft a safety to help compete.

Corners are going to get better, I know a lot of people are big on Williams but I think Foxworth will beat him out for the starting spot, Williams will remain the Nickle.

I am not sure what will happen with Linebackers because of D.J.'s recent off the field issues, but Shanahan might use him as trade bait (Opinion) but Williams carries some good value, Denver right now has some good backers but one thing is we need depth, I like Chukwurah though, maybe he could - if Williams left compete, or he could line up as a speed end in some situations. But we really need depth here....

The rotation maybe a little over used as far as the line but having six defensive ends is not a bad thing, something like three speed rushers and three run stoppers. Though I think with audibles and change-ups it is even harder to do a proper rotation per sets. I think Denver is making a move to add speed to the line with Gause and Ekuban we have two 275lbs. ends, Engleberger is a 265lbs. rush end and if they could draft Kiwanuka or another light fast end. Denver also is big on Jackson from the practice squad, so we will have to see how that plays out. And we will all see what they do as far as Brown and Pryce, though in my opinion neither did real well. Out of the Browncos the best three I saw as far as the line was Myers, Ekuban and Warren, though I think we need another big tackle also to compete and at least help in rotations.

In the end I would not be surprised to see Denver add a few no name D-Linemen into camp and about three or four from the draft.
            Until this season I can't recall Brandon ever being called a cover saftey, I've always thought of him more as a hitter. Although from what I've gathered from other reading material they seemed comfortable with his coverage skills. I interested to see what Browner can do I think with his size and cover skill he just might become a good saftey.

I most definitely agree with about Foxworth and D Will. I like both of them but imo Foxworth will ultimately prove to be the better corner.

If DJ is gone for whatever reason I don't think we have any choice but draft at least one linebacker. My guess is that Shanahan probably wont trade him. Remeber both House and Smith have had off field problems in the past and he never even thought trading them as far as I know.

Finally, I would like to see us draft Kiwanuka he sounds like he could be the real deal.
            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Interesting Reads

After all the "name-calling" ended, there is alot of good info on this thread. Its good to learn the perspective of the other posters. Respect is still earned, but good info and logically supported points make sense. I am interested in what the Broncos have been brewing on the practice squad. I have heard from a few posts that Cedric Cobbs (Arkansas) has started coming on. I had seen him look dominating at times and then he disappeared in the draft. The two DEs on the PS have great size. I heard of Gause many a time when he played at South Carolina. He was one of the bright spots on their team that came close all year in the SEC. Al Wilson has made a couple of positive statements about Corey Jackson and his (that word again) potential. With FA and the draft ahead, and so many good picks, we may see as many changes as last year. The more competition, the better the team.

Comment

At DT i would start Gerald Warren and Micheal Myers
                At LE Courtney Brown
                At RE Trevor Pryce
                LBs: Ian Gold, Al Wilson, DJ williams
                CBs: Champ Bailey and Darrent Williams
                FS: John Lynch
                SS: Sam Brandon

This is the basic 4-3 set that i would like to see start, what about you guys, who would you like to see?

other than warren and maybe brown and pryce i think we might get another Dline man either draft or trade or somethin.

Comment

Originally posted by jletourneau
                  Completely agree on Foxworth and Williams as I posted earlier in the thread.

Foxy to me is very capable of showing up similarly to Sheldon Brown of the Eagles. He was incredibly consistent for 4 years in college, and I believe the offseason and film study will prove to be the difference for him.

This is not to take anything away from Darrent Williams, I love him as a nickel corner and the aggressiveness he brings to the defense, but I believe Foxworth will use the offseason to his advantage and we will see a big jump.

As far as the D-line, I won't go into much detail because I already did earlier in the thread, I'm intrigued to see what Corey Jackson and George Gause may bring to the competition. I do not think Pryce will be back unless it is at a seriously reduced rate, and though Courtney did not prove to be anything special I believe he showed a lot more explosion in run stopping at the end of the year compared to what was there in recovery from the injury. The lis franc injury Brown came back from has been a career ender for some in the past, especially someone Brown's size and at his strong side end position.

But I noticed a considerable difference in strength and explosion late in the year and am intrigued what another offseason of fully recovered training could do for him in resurgence of his abilities, because lets face it, Brown has the physical capabilities of a freak, they just have not been realized and may never be. But signs of explosion are encouraging if he will significantly re-structure. I'd rather keep him around then Pryce who I do not think always has his heart in it.

I would not mind adding Kiwi at 22, but my first choice is still Manny Lawson from N.C. State. I like Tamba Hali a great deal, but do not believe he would bring us the specifics that we need. Lawson, Kiwi, Wimbley, Tapp, etc are more in the mold IMO of what we should add. If we could add Lawson/Kiwi at 22, and a DT at 29 or 2nd round, I think it would be beneficial. A DT at 29 I would prefer Wroten/Bunkley for penetration abilities, or if we wait until the 2nd round I would be looking at McCargo/K. Williams. But lots of time and workouts for things to change.

Couldn't agree more on the draft. I am hoping for Kiwi at #22 and Wroten at #29, and either McCargo or Fifita in the third round. I like Brown and I think he is due for a big year next season.

I think Lawson will go in the top 15 and we won't have a chance at him. I think we should release Pryce and make a push for Kalimba Edwards from Detroit. We could have a great line with Kiwi and Edwards at one end, Brown and Ekuban at the other end.

My ideal Dline next year

DE - Kalimba Edwards, Mathias Kiwanuka
                  DT - Gerrard Warren, Michael Myers
                  DT - Claude Wroten, Steve Fifita or John McCargo
                  DE - Courtney Brown, Ebenezer Ekuban

With a little luck in the draft, some creative front office work and if Shanny doesn't have any mental lapses during the draft this could be a legitimate possibility.
                  The three Keys to football
                  1. Turnovers
                  2. Field Position
                  3. Red Zone Play

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoRT
                    Couldn't agree more on the draft. I am hoping for Kiwi at #22 and Wroten at #29, and either McCargo or Fifita in the third round. I like Brown and I think he is due for a big year next season.

I think Lawson will go in the top 15 and we won't have a chance at him. I think we should release Pryce and make a push for Kalimba Edwards from Detroit. We could have a great line with Kiwi and Edwards at one end, Brown and Ekuban at the other end.

My ideal Dline next year

DE - Kalimba Edwards, Mathias Kiwanuka
                    DT - Gerrard Warren, Michael Myers
                    DT - Claude Wroten, Steve Fifita or John McCargo
                    DE - Courtney Brown, Ebenezer Ekuban

With a little luck in the draft, some creative front office work and if Shanny doesn't have any mental lapses during the draft this could be a legitimate possibility.
                    That line would be a welcome addition, especially for the future. K. Edwards is the one DE I think would be a good fit to look at in FA if we can get him at a decent price.

Fifita will be interesting. I've seen projections for him in a few different ranges, but the little I saw him play in the postseason bowl I really liked the raw strength I saw and I believe McCargo may be underrated by many.

Comment

am i missing something about brown? according to nflpa.com brown is only scheduled to make $1.4 million next season. not a free-be, but hardly a bank breaker .

Salary History

2005 540000.00
                      2006 1400000.00
                      2007 1900000.00
                      2008 2400000.00
                      2009 2900000.00
                      "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ

Comment

Originally posted by Fins4Life
                        You made some good points...but think about it if you make it to the Championship and lose then to get beyond that next year you must improve on weak areas. If you made one change to your lineup it would make sense. The change is you need to insert a solid rusher that teams will have to game plan against. Insert the Jets Abraham.
                        yes that would be really nice, to add abraham. I wish we had a pass rusher like jason taylor that guy is a beast....im worried about your dolphins next year they are going to be tough. i especially like your wide outs and tight ends.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sam24
                          Aww dont tell me that its really so easy to get under your skin and control your attitude like this? lol
                          Look dude I would apoligize for hurting your feelings, but if you look at it, I only used so many words.
                          Meaning it was not my intentions but hey, maybe if you could learn to explain your point of views better, I wouldnt refer to your threads as narrow minded non-sense.
                          he its all good didnt mean to call you mr. redneck, i was just heated up about lancane, i know you may think the thread was nonsense but it isnt even close to some of the other nonsense threads, am i right? thanks for replying to this thread
                          sigpic

Comment

I agree that our defensive line needs to get more sacks and pressure on the quarterback. If we could do that, we would free up more linebacker and safties to do pass coverage, instead of engaging eight when we blitz. i would love to see new faces in there but i really liked what we had going on this season. the guys we got from the browns have great potential and they showed some of this potential last year. so i think with a little more time, maybe a year or two some of these guys could develop into something special. only time will tell, but we definitely need someone on that line to step up and get more sacks. heck maybe john lynch should step up and play defensive end lol! just kidding there, i would like to see less blitzing actually, instead of all out blitzes maybe just blitz one or two linebackers, heck they are fast enough and strong enough to make big hits on the qb, i do it all the time on madden 06, blitz wilson by himself all day long. i got 29 sacks during the regular season on all madden mode by doing this. i know, i know its just a game and all but its something im just throwing out there......
                            sigpic

Comment

heres my fantasy lineup for next season its not possible but it would be the stuff
                              RE: Trevor Pryce
                              DT: Gerald Warren
                              DT: Keith Traylor
                              LE: Jevon Kearse
                              LOLB: DJ Williams
                              ROLB: Ian Gold
                              MLB: Al Wilson
                              CBs: Champ Bailey, Antoine Winfield, Darrent Williams
                              FS: John Lynch
                              SS: Ed Reed

Now thats something to be scared of....
                              sigpic

Comment

now thats something serious
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X