Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broncobuckeyes
    replied
    Sam Brandon is taller and faster which translates to more interceptions and broken up passes, If that were nick ferguson were as tall as sam brandon that would of been an interception in the afc champ. game...

Leave a comment:

• atruebroncosfan
    replied
    Why Sam Brandon over Nick Ferguson?

Leave a comment:

• Cugel
    replied
    Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
    It includes Brown's bonus I believe, I dont see how it could not. As for the rest, yes, we would get Brown at a low rate the remaining years. I suppose if he had played extremely good, we could hvae considered taking the cap hit.
    IF he had played like the second coming of Michael Strahan the Broncos might have considered it. But that kind of bonus is pretty steep, since as you point out, it's not even weighted over the entire length of the contract.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    Originally posted by bcbronc
    but if the broncos did take it, would that mean the remaining portion of brown contract would be at relatively peanuts? still less than $3 mil in 2009. if there was cap room, and brown had shown a little more, that isnt that bad a move. one big cap year with 4 at good numbers.

so when it is reported the broncos are well over the cap, does that include brown's $10m bonus? if so, our cap situation isnt nearly as bad as it looks.
    It includes Brown's bonus I believe, I dont see how it could not. As for the rest, yes, we would get Brown at a low rate the remaining years. I suppose if he had played extremely good, we could hvae considered taking the cap hit.

Leave a comment:

• bcbronc
    replied
    The contract was always a 1 year deal. It was really just fluff, so that Brown and his agent can say they signed this big deal and save face.

Really, on these types of contracts, see Ty Law as well, the inflated numbers and crazy bonuses that the players will never get, are just flaunted to make it seem like the player is in demand and received big bucks.

but if the broncos did take it, would that mean the remaining portion of brown contract would be at relatively peanuts? still less than $3 mil in 2009. if there was cap room, and brown had shown a little more, that isnt that bad a move. one big cap year with 4 at good numbers.

so when it is reported the broncos are well over the cap, does that include brown's $10m bonus? if so, our cap situation isnt nearly as bad as it looks.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    so that means if we brought him back as is he would be a $11.4 million cap hit for 2006 (but then go back down to $1.9 for 07)? pfffft! i wouldnt pay julius peppers $11.4 mill, never mind a run stuffing strong-side end.

i gotta ask, and you are probably the guy to ask, why would shanny and co bother negotiating a contract like this? what kind of season would he have to have had to make him worth $11.4 million? or is the hope you pay him big during one year, and then he is relativly cheap for the remainder of his contract?

also, does anyone has a good sight for salary cap #'s?
    The contract was always a 1 year deal. It was really just fluff, so that Brown and his agent can say they signed this big deal and save face.

Really, on these types of contracts, see Ty Law as well, the inflated numbers and crazy bonuses that the players will never get, are just flaunted to make it seem like the player is in demand and received big bucks.

Leave a comment:

• Smith49
    replied
    yup

Originally posted by diesel51
    I just have to go on record, concerning this topic(starting Defense), that I too would prefer some more speed, specifically at S and DE. But I don't want to see a big drop off in the rushing defense.

now thats a post i can agree with. i like our safeties, but we need more speed back there, and most of all, we need a pure, and i mean pure pass rushing end. like a freeney type. just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoRT
    replied
    [QUOTE]
    Originally posted by Jrhampton

price should play for free after the past 3 ultra lackluster years in his performance compared to what he received in money.
    LOL I was high on Pryce this year hoping to play well again. He had a few good games early in the season, especially the KC game, but after midway through the season Pryce was very ineffective. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me but I am guessing about 12 sacks in three years for about $15 +million. Over a million per sack. That's flat out robbery. I don't know why people are such Pryce lovers, he has been such a disappointment.

Leave a comment:

• Jrhampton
    replied
    Originally posted by lancane
    RE: George Gause, Ebenezer Ekuban, Demetrin Veal
    DT: Gerard Warren, Titus Adams, Ethan Kelley
    DT: Claude Wroten, Michael Myers, Ethan Kelley
    LE: Mathias Kiwanuka, Corey Jackson, John Engleberger
    LOLB: DJ Williams, Patrick Chukwurah, Keith Burns
    ROLB: Ian Gold, Pierre Woods, Keith Burns
    MLB: Al Wilson, Rob Morris, Keith Burns
    CBs: Champ Bailey, Domonique Foxworth, Darrent Williams, Karl Paymah
    FS: Sam Brandon, John Lynch, Brian Iwuh
    SS: Brandon Browner, Nick Ferguson, Brian Iwuh
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    QB: Jake Plummer, Bradlee Van Pelt, Brett Basanez
    HB: Jerious Norwood, Tatum Bell, Ron Dayne
    FB: Kyle Johnson, Cedric Cobbs
    WR: Rod Smith, Ashley Lelie, Randy Hymes, Jovon Bouknight, David Terrell
    TE: Wesley Duke, Jeb Putzier
    LT: Matt Lepsis, Erik Pears
    LG: Ben Hamilton, Chris Myers
    C: Tom Nalen, Rob Hunt
    RG: Frank Davis, P.J. Alexander
    RT: George Foster, Michael Brisiel

That is what I would like to see....
    I'm not sold that foster is the answer at Rt let alone OLT. And think Putz will be the TE with Duke being in on the TE sets.

Do you have links on any of the newbies.

Leave a comment:

• bcbronc
    replied
    He has a 10 million option bonus that is triggered if we keep him. The rule regarding option bonuses is that the entire amount comes due the year the bonus comes due. Its not spread out like a traditional bonus.

so that means if we brought him back as is he would be a $11.4 million cap hit for 2006 (but then go back down to $1.9 for 07)? pfffft! i wouldnt pay julius peppers $11.4 mill, never mind a run stuffing strong-side end.

i gotta ask, and you are probably the guy to ask, why would shanny and co bother negotiating a contract like this? what kind of season would he have to have had to make him worth $11.4 million? or is the hope you pay him big during one year, and then he is relativly cheap for the remainder of his contract?

also, does anyone has a good sight for salary cap #'s?

Leave a comment:

• lancane
    replied
    Originally posted by Jrhampton
    My quick take on it is. We need not only pressures but sacks on their back putting a hurt on them so they think about it when they raise their arm to pass.

We flat did not get that last year, unless it was a lousy O-line or we brought the house.

price should play for free after the past 3 ultra lackluster years in his performance compared to what he received in money.

Brown seems to have gotten stronger in the later part of the year, and Warren seems to be the answer at one DT. If both brown and warren can tone down their contracts, they should be the answer.

We need some serous speed at the other DE position and another biggie sized DT to help collapse the pocket and stuff the run.

Our other major need is a great cover safety. Perhaps as I've stated before Browner can be this guy with his height 6'-4", size 225 lbs speed and cover skills of being a cover CB in college, if he can learn the FS (cover) he would be a major upgrade. While I like John he does not have the major speed to be that guy. He does a good job being a wylie veteran, but I'd like to see a Ed Reed kinda guy back there.

I have not heard about why Williams is in Mikey's doghouse, but I gather it to be off the field issues. Would hate to see him go anywhere as I think he is Al Wilson's ultimate replacement.

Other than lack of sacks and a deep safety presence, this team if kept pretty much intact can make that next step into the SB.

Would really like to see some of the D schemes changed, get rid of the ten yard cushion we give all the WR's. The speed and athletic abilities of our CB's should be enough to deny them the ability to get off the LOS and throw off the timing betwixt QB and WR that has killed us in the last three playoff losses. Would also place pressure upon the QB to take more time in completing the passes and enhance the sack count.

BTW I think Darent W will wind up next year as the nickle back and return man. Foxworth should have the time in grade and experience to take the job away, even if the are equal in ability having the taller CB is probably the correct decision, covering the 6-1 to 6-3' WR in our conference.

RE: George Gause, Ebenezer Ekuban, Demetrin Veal
    DT: Gerard Warren, Titus Adams, Ethan Kelley
    DT: Claude Wroten, Michael Myers, Ethan Kelley
    LE: Mathias Kiwanuka, Corey Jackson, John Engleberger
    LOLB: DJ Williams, Patrick Chukwurah, Keith Burns
    ROLB: Ian Gold, Pierre Woods, Keith Burns
    MLB: Al Wilson, Rob Morris, Keith Burns
    CBs: Champ Bailey, Domonique Foxworth, Darrent Williams, Karl Paymah
    FS: Sam Brandon, John Lynch, Brian Iwuh
    SS: Brandon Browner, Nick Ferguson, Brian Iwuh
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    QB: Jake Plummer, Bradlee Van Pelt, Brett Basanez
    HB: Jerious Norwood, Tatum Bell, Ron Dayne
    FB: Kyle Johnson, Cedric Cobbs
    WR: Rod Smith, Ashley Lelie, Randy Hymes, Jovon Bouknight, David Terrell
    TE: Wesley Duke, Jeb Putzier
    LT: Matt Lepsis, Erik Pears
    LG: Ben Hamilton, Chris Myers
    C: Tom Nalen, Rob Hunt
    RG: Frank Davis, P.J. Alexander
    RT: George Foster, Michael Brisiel

That is what I would like to see....
    Last edited by lancane; 02-17-2006, 01:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• broncobuckeyes
    replied
    it like what im hearing, pryce definitely needs to do something maybe hes still weary of that surgery he had on his back, who knows. gerald warren has one DT spot locked up, but we need to get someone else in there. i agree with you that the defensive scheme needs to be changed. i dont like the all out blitzes, it leaves too many holes for only 3 people in coverage to do anything. thats why champ got taken in the afc championship game, theres no way he can cover two wideouts at once! definitely need to change the scheme, more press coverage would be nice to see, jam the wideouts at the los and get more physical, lets do it!

Leave a comment:

• Jrhampton
    replied
    My quick take on it is. We need not only pressures but sacks on their back putting a hurt on them so they think about it when they raise their arm to pass.

We flat did not get that last year, unless it was a lousy O-line or we brought the house.

Brown seems to have gotten stronger in the later part of the year, and Warren seems to be the answer at one DT. If both brown and warren can tone down their contracts, they should be the answer.

We need some serous speed at the other DE position and another biggie sized DT to help collapse the pocket and stuff the run.

Our other major need is a great cover safety. Perhaps as I've stated before Browner can be this guy with his height 6'-4", size 225 lbs speed and cover skills of being a cover CB in college, if he can learn the FS (cover) he would be a major upgrade. While I like John he does not have the major speed to be that guy. He does a good job being a wylie veteran, but I'd like to see a Ed Reed kinda guy back there.

I have not heard about why Williams is in Mikey's doghouse, but I gather it to be off the field issues. Would hate to see him go anywhere as I think he is Al Wilson's ultimate replacement.

Other than lack of sacks and a deep safety presence, this team if kept pretty much intact can make that next step into the SB.

Would really like to see some of the D schemes changed, get rid of the ten yard cushion we give all the WR's. The speed and athletic abilities of our CB's should be enough to deny them the ability to get off the LOS and throw off the timing betwixt QB and WR that has killed us in the last three playoff losses. Would also place pressure upon the QB to take more time in completing the passes and enhance the sack count.

BTW I think Darent W will wind up next year as the nickle back and return man. Foxworth should have the time in grade and experience to take the job away, even if the are equal in ability having the taller CB is probably the correct decision, covering the 6-1 to 6-3' WR in our conference.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    am i missing something about brown? according to nflpa.com brown is only scheduled to make $1.4 million next season. not a free-be, but hardly a bank breaker .

Salary History

2005 540000.00
    2006 1400000.00
    2007 1900000.00
    2008 2400000.00
    2009 2900000.00
    He has a 10 million option bonus that is triggered if we keep him. The rule regarding option bonuses is that the entire amount comes due the year the bonus comes due. Its not spread out like a traditional bonus.

Leave a comment:

• broncobuckeyes
    replied
    now thats something serious

Leave a comment:

Working...
X