• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oldustyballs
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos4ever
    Josh Sewell is a capable backup.
    Josh Sewell left the team to become a dentist or something.

Leave a comment:

• watchthemiddle
    replied
    Its so easy to come on here and post our draft picks over the years. How many teams have "successful" draft picks every year?

What defines "successful"?

Every year teams have 2-3 players that succeed from the draft. That makes the Broncos no different.

Its 7 rounds. 2-3 players out of 7 is not that bad considering you only have so many jobs to go around.

Leave a comment:

• broncos4ever
    replied
    That's only 1/3 of the GM duties. You also have to look at free agency and trades... Which we have done quite well with...

I will give you 2003 draft because that does not look so good for the Broncos... But I was thinking more of the 2004 and 2005 draft picks...

2004 -

1 (17) D.J. Williams, (from Cincinnati) LB Miami (Fla.)
    2a (41) Tatum Bell, (from Washington) RB Oklahoma State
    2b (54) Darius Watts WR Marshall
    3 (85) Jeremy LeSueur CB Michigan
    5 (152) Jeff Shoate CB San Diego State
    6a (171) Triandos Luke, (from Washington) WR Alabama
    6b (190) Josh Sewell C Nebraska
    7a (225) Matt Mauck QB Louisiana State
    7b (247) Brandon Miree RB Pittsburgh
    7c (250) Bradlee Van Pelt QB Colorado State

DJ played well his freshman year. His off the field tactics though could really hurt him with Mike S. Tatum we have talked about, some think he could get better, some think he will never be. Darius still has a lot to prove. Jeff Shoate has been a good backup. Josh Sewell is a capable backup. Brandon Miree has shown some potential, but needs to be less injury prone. BVP is the second string quarterback.

2005 Draft

2 (56) Darrent Williams CB Oklahoma State
    3 (76) Karl Paymah CB WASHINGTON STATE
    3 (97) Domonique Foxworth CB MARYLAND
    3 (101) Maurice Clarett RB OHIO STATE
    6 (200) Chris Myers OG MIAMI (FLA.)
    7 (239) Paul Ernster K NORTHERN ARIZONA

Clarett is the only one that is not on the team... All the other draft picks are on the team. The three cornerbacks have done a good job for us. Chris Myers looks like a capable back up and Ernster is still on the roster for what reason I do not know...

Free Agents -- Marco Coleman has helped us. Curome Cox played well when asked to this year. Todd Devoe looks like he will be a good receiver. Nick Ferguson is a starter for us. Charlie Adams has shown some potential, even though personally I think Todd Devoe is a better player. Stephen Alexander helped us this year and was a decent tight end. OF course the Browncos did give us an upgrade on the Defensive Line.. Keith Burns and Ian Gold were definite improvements. Patrick Chukwurah is a starting linebacker on most teams but not the Broncos.. He really helped us though in Special Teams. Kyle Johnson -starting fullback. John Lynch - starting safety -- Jake Plummer - of course we already know how you feel about this one... Demetrin Veal - Who the Broncos have given a long term contract.

Trades --

Champ Bailey - Starter and Superstar
    Ekuban Ebenezer - DE and pass rusher - Upgrade on the DL
    Engleberger _ DE - Has a motor that won't quit, could be a real good player
    Myers - Improvement on DL
    Sauerbrun, Todd - Punter that really had an impact with us this year
    Gerrard Warren - Much Potential

I would say looking at the "Big Picture" Ted S. and the Bronco Organization have done pretty well for themselves. Ted is a good GM.

Leave a comment:

• dogfish
    replied
    Originally posted by rcsodak
    o
    op
    opi
    opin
    opini
    opinio
    opinion

unlike most of the other stuff we read on here, right RC?

Leave a comment:

• broncos_mtnman
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos4ever
    I have to totally disagree with you on this... I think since Ted S. has got more power over the last three years in not only drafts and free agency the Broncos Organization has made better decisions because Mike is depending on the people around him to do their jobs as he does his. Yes he has final say, but the others have been a great influence on him and some to the bad.

Look at the draft picks that have been for the last three years. Look at the people we have brought in Free Agency and last of all look at the trades that have been made.

Ted S. has been a major part of all of this and has been a REAL GM.

Mike does let others influence him. Look at the draft of M. Clarrett. That was all Bobby Turners doing and Mike listened to him. Yes it was the wrong thing to listen to but he did it.

I am glad Ted S. is going to be the GM for years to come, he deserves it and if you read the article on this you would see the statistics that he has put up in the time he has been here.
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. Let's take a look at the drafts over the past three years...

2003 Draft

ROUND (OVERALL) PLAYER POSITION COLLEGE
    1 (20) George Foster T Georgia
    2 (51) Terry Pierce LB Kansas State
    4a (108) Quentin Griffin (from Carolina) RB Oklahoma
    4b (114) Nicholas Eason DT Clemson
    4c (128) Bryant McNeal (from Green Bay through Carolina) DE Clemson
    5a (157) Ben Claxton (from New England) C Mississippi
    5b (158) Adrian Madise WR Texas Christian
    6 (194) Aaron Hunt DE Texas Tech
    7a (227) Clint Mitchell DE Florida
    7b (235) Ahmaad Galloway RB Alabama

2004 Draft

1 (17) D.J. Williams, (from Cincinnati) LB Miami (Fla.)
    2a (41) Tatum Bell, (from Washington) RB Oklahoma State
    2b (54) Darius Watts WR Marshall
    3 (85) Jeremy LeSueur CB Michigan
    5 (152) Jeff Shoate CB San Diego State
    6a (171) Triandos Luke, (from Washington) WR Alabama
    6b (190) Josh Sewell C Nebraska
    7a (225) Matt Mauck QB Louisiana State
    7b (247) Brandon Miree RB Pittsburgh
    7c (250) Bradlee Van Pelt QB Colorado State

2005 Draft

2 (56) Darrent Williams CB Oklahoma State
    3 (76) Karl Paymah CB WASHINGTON STATE
    3 (97) Domonique Foxworth CB MARYLAND
    3 (101) Maurice Clarett RB OHIO STATE
    6 (200) Chris Myers OG MIAMI (FLA.)
    7 (239) Paul Ernster K NORTHERN ARIZONA

The 2005 draft is too early to evaluate as far as being successful, though DW and Foxy had a decent season.

But, look at 2003 (only Foster is still on the team) and 2004 (only DJ and Bell could be considered a success so far).

I look at this list, and I don't see anything that says... "WOW, we have killer players for the future."

Leave a comment:

• broncos4ever
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
    HURRAY!!

Four more years of "yes sir, Mr. Shanahan. Would you like cream with your coffee?"

Seriously though, if he indeed makes the decisions on personnel as Shanny claims he does, I'm not all that excited about this news. His success has been marginal.

However, since we all know that Shanny is the real personnel guy, who cares how long he stays? He doesn't do anything significant anyways.

What I would really like to see is a REAL GM, who really does make those decisions. Not likely as long as Shanny is around.
    I have to totally disagree with you on this... I think since Ted S. has got more power over the last three years in not only drafts and free agency the Broncos Organization has made better decisions because Mike is depending on the people around him to do their jobs as he does his. Yes he has final say, but the others have been a great influence on him and some to the bad.

Look at the draft picks that have been for the last three years. Look at the people we have brought in Free Agency and last of all look at the trades that have been made.

Ted S. has been a major part of all of this and has been a REAL GM.

Mike does let others influence him. Look at the draft of M. Clarrett. That was all Bobby Turners doing and Mike listened to him. Yes it was the wrong thing to listen to but he did it.

I am glad Ted S. is going to be the GM for years to come, he deserves it and if you read the article on this you would see the statistics that he has put up in the time he has been here.

Leave a comment:

• Snk16
    replied
    The title freaked me out!

Woo, he's a pretty good GM. Good that he's signed for more years.

Leave a comment:

• rcsodak
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
    HURRAY!!

Four more years of "yes sir, Mr. Shanahan. Would you like cream with your coffee?"

Seriously though, if he indeed makes the decisions on personnel as Shanny claims he does, I'm not all that excited about this news. His success has been marginal.

However, since we all know that Shanny is the real personnel guy, who cares how long he stays? He doesn't do anything significant anyways.

What I would really like to see is a REAL GM, who really does make those decisions. Not likely as long as Shanny is around.
    o
    op
    opi
    opin
    opini
    opinio
    opinion

Leave a comment:

• muse
    replied
    That's a bit of a long sabbatical... :p Almost died, then I thought "Eh?" and now I'm back to normal again.

Leave a comment:

• Astrass
    replied
    Hahaha my bad.....

Leave a comment:

• broncos_mtnman
    replied
    HURRAY!!

Last edited by broncos_mtnman; 02-22-2006, 12:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LordTrychon
    replied
    Woah... freaked me out too...

Good news in the end!

Leave a comment:

• Emancipator
    replied
    Better title would be Ted Sunquist has contract extended until 2009.
    It's all good. Thanks for the link Astrass.

Leave a comment:

• Cugel
    replied
    Originally posted by thisisnotsteve
    look up the word 'resign'.
    No kidding! I was all in a lather thinking "OMG! How could he resign right before the NFL draft?! We totally don't need this right now of all times! Did he have a fight with Shanahan or something? What's going on? How long will it take Shanahan to find a replacement GM and what effect will this have on player evaluations, etc. . . . ."

And I find it's all just someone who has a profound ignorance of the English language and the difference between re-signs and resigns. I suppose I should know better by now. . . .

Leave a comment:

• thisisnotsteve
    replied
    look up the word 'resign'.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X