Portis vs Bailey--You make the call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broncosfan247
    I hate reading long ass posts, so i'll make this short and sweet. CHAMP WILL NOT BE BENCHED! He's too damn good. Broncos got the better deal by far, plain and simple. PLUS, i'm not exactly sure, but can someone tell me what Orlandis Gary made? Or Mike Anderson made when he had his big year? I don't think it was a mill...but not sure. OH and I don't think TD made big money his first year either.
    Sorry about the long post. I'll try to keep them short from now on. Of course Champ won't be benched--Denver's paying him too much money. Good or not, he's playing. That was a "what if" to support my statement that contract renegotiation is necessary at times to maintain good business.

Comment

Originally posted by Derock
      Sorry about the long post. I'll try to keep them short from now on. Of course Champ won't be benched--Denver's paying him too much money. Good or not, he's playing. That was a "what if" to support my statement that contract renegotiation is necessary at times to maintain good business.
      ok, let me turn it around on ya then. What if Portis came out next year and laid a big goose egg? Racking up maybe only 900 yards and 7 or less TD's? You think he'd be worth being the highest paid running back in the league then? This is where the consistency part comes in. Bailey WON'T suck, his stats are solid. Portis won't suck either, but he's not going to be able to run in Washington like he did in Denver, plain and simple.

Comment

Also, when I look at Baileys stats I see consistency, 5 years of consistency. Ya, Portis was able to rack up the yardage, but Derock thinks like CP. He thinks it's all him and not the 5 guys blocking for him up front. Bailey doesn't have high interception numbers, OH NO HE SUCKS!! Get real man! Bailey is argueably the best one-on-one cornerback in the league today. And when you add a player like that to a team who's defense was in the top 5 without him, that just makes that defense that much better. So get over it, if your a Portis fan, go cheer for the Skins. If your a Bronco fan, get over it and love Bailey. Cuz he's the new sheriff in town
        Well I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you this friend but your "new sheriff" is really a Barney Fyffe! He has no bullets in his gun. I'm not just looking at his interception numbers, I watched his whole career in Washington. I realize he has the "reputation" of being a shutdown corner but after watching him the past two years, it is very frustrating to get so little from a player you expect so much.

Comment

ok, let me turn it around on ya then. What if Portis came out next year and laid a big goose egg? Racking up maybe only 900 yards and 7 or less TD's? You think he'd be worth being the highest paid running back in the league then? This is where the consistency part comes in. Bailey WON'T suck, his stats are solid. Portis won't suck either, but he's not going to be able to run in Washington like he did in Denver, plain and simple.
          If Portis gains less than a 1000 yards next year it would be a very disapponting season but a little premature to call him a bust. If he has two consecutive seasons with less than 1000, you better believe Washington will run him and his 50 million dollar contract out of town. My point I was trying to make earlier was no contracts are written in stone and should be renegotiated when necessary. I believe, given Portis's success in his first two seasons, a new contract with Denver was necessary.

Comment

If Portis gains less than a 1000 yards next year it would be a very disapponting season but a little premature to call him a bust. If he has two consecutive seasons with less than 1000, you better believe Washington will run him and his 50 million dollar contract out of town. My point I was trying to make earlier was no contracts are written in stone and should be renegotiated when necessary. I believe, given Portis's success in his first two seasons, a new contract with Denver was necessary.
            I agree he should have gotten more money if he stayed here. But not the kind of money the Skins gave him. I need to see more than just 2 years of 1500+ yardage and he'd have to stay off the injury list to get paid what he did.

And as for Champ being a Barney Fyffe, tell me what stats you are looking at then, if not just interception, because all his other stats show he's a stud. The guy has NOT missed one game since he's came into the league, and when a DB averages 69 tackles a season it proves he is a shutdown cornerback....if not the best in the league. The best player on our defense...President Wilson, also averages 69 tackles a season...and he's a linebacker!

You can't get interceptions when they don't throw to ya.

Comment

Re: Portis vs Bailey--You make the call

Here are Champ Bailey's career stats:

1999 Redskins Tackles: 78 Int: 5 Int Yds: 55 TD: 1
              2000 Redskins Tackles: 62 Int: 5 Int Yds: 48 TD: 0
              2001 Redskins Tackles: 50 Int: 3 Int Yds: 17 TD: 0
              2002 Redskins Tackles: 68 Int: 3 Int Yds: 2 TD: 0
              2003 Redskins Tackles: 71 Int: 2 Int Yds: 2 TD: 0

Here are Clinton Portis career stats:

2002 Broncos Rush: 1508 Avg: 5.5 Long: 59 TD: 15
              2003 Broncos Rush: 1591 Avg: 5.5 Long: 65 TD: 14

Who got the better deal--Broncos or Redskins??
              You left out a few stats...

Clinton Portis
              2004 Broncos Rush: Maybe 500 because he holds out until week 11.

Champ Bailey
              2004 Redskins Tackles: 66 Int: 4 Int Yds: 25 TD: 0
              based on his average over the first 5 years. He plays, because he is designated a franchise player and is paid in the top 5 at his position.

Bottom line, if CP holds out, he's just as good as gone anyways.
              sigpic

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Portis vs Bailey--You make the call

Originally posted by tahuya man
                Interesting. You make up false statistics to argue against fact. That's one way to win an argument.
                Hey, it worked for Bill Clinton.....lol
                sigpic

Comment

Hey Derock, who sets the standards in 'the real world'? Not in washington, just everywhere else.

Its the boss. Its the owner. Its the manager.

Its NOT the employee. Its Not the sales clerk. Its NOT the player.

You need to check to see whether YOUR gun has any bullets!

Funny how I've personally talked to friends that are skins fans (ugh) and they are in TOTAL disagreement with your (ass)essment of Bailey. Hmmmmm. Wonder why?

Been battling with you on this subject for too long. What is your deal, anyway?

YOU say CP is GREAT!
                  YOU say Bailey in average.
                  YOU HAVE CP!
                  WE have Bailey.

So why the crying?
                  To any educated person, you sound like a pissed off, disenfranchised skins fan. If so, you know where the door is.
                  If not, you have deeper problems and need to seek professional help.

Really, I'm not trying to start an argument, but you make NO sense! Battle yourself on your own board.
                  "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                  tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                  men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
                    Hey Derock, who sets the standards in 'the real world'? Not in washington, just everywhere else.

Its the boss. Its the owner. Its the manager.

Its NOT the employee. Its Not the sales clerk. Its NOT the player.

You need to check to see whether YOUR gun has any bullets!

Funny how I've personally talked to friends that are skins fans (ugh) and they are in TOTAL disagreement with your (ass)essment of Bailey. Hmmmmm. Wonder why?

Been battling with you on this subject for too long. What is your deal, anyway?

YOU say CP is GREAT!
                    YOU say Bailey in average.
                    YOU HAVE CP!
                    WE have Bailey.

So why the crying?
                    To any educated person, you sound like a pissed off, disenfranchised skins fan. If so, you know where the door is.
                    If not, you have deeper problems and need to seek professional help.

Really, I'm not trying to start an argument, but you make NO sense! Battle yourself on your own board.
                    yeah what he said
                    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava
                      We got the better of the deal by far, shanahan is an offensive minded coach, defensive coaching is not his style. so to put it to good use, he loaded up the talent on the defensive side so he doesnt have to coach as much, its the same thing dungy by switching to the colts and look how far he went. Bailey is more talented than portis, portis is a great back, but nobody can deny he was the 4th product of the system(behind davis gary anderson) We will run the ball we have a good back in Q and still a great system, meanwhile the position we have struggled in (DB) gets a bonified probowler. Brocnos made the right decision.
                      Portis was a great player, but wanted more than we were willing to give. Champ comes here not of his own choosing. Noone knows how either will work out. I am however excited to see us with a top-notch d player like Champ. Roll with what you have. I just hope the skins fall flat as they always seem to do when they open their checkbook.
                      Last edited by wncbronxx; 03-10-2004, 04:05 AM.
                      ~RSth Lncus [email protected] mO Po*

Its what a man knows about himself inside that makes him afraid!

UNC Tarheels!!!!

Comment

Dear Dear me........... Does everyone judge by the stats? Or has at least one person heard of a shutdown CB and a great O-Line. The fact is, Portis will probably barely break 1000 yds in Wash. cause of the O-Line. How did we get beat last year? WRs. Thats that. Portis had less than 100 yds in that game.
                        "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens."

"Basically my wife was immature. I'd be at home in the bath and she'd come in and sink my boats."

"I believe there is something out there watching us. Unfortunately, it's the government."

"I have bad reflexes. I was once run over by a car being pushed by two guys."

"I don't think my parents liked me. They put a live teddy bear in my crib."

Quotes by Woody Allen-----Hehehehehe

Comment

Whether it's Mark Brunell or Patrick Ramsey.....Jake Plummer did a lot of Portis because of playaction.

So....will the Redskins and Joe Gibbs approach the power football with that quick of a back? I think Portis is not Gibb's type of RB.

We'll see.

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                          2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Originally posted by Tatortot
                            Dear Dear me........... Does everyone judge by the stats? Or has at least one person heard of a shutdown CB and a great O-Line. The fact is, Portis will probably barely break 1000 yds in Wash. cause of the O-Line. How did we get beat last year? WRs. Thats that. Portis had less than 100 yds in that game.
                            Well spoken
                            ~RSth Lncus [email protected] mO Po*

Its what a man knows about himself inside that makes him afraid!

UNC Tarheels!!!!

Comment

What is wrong with you people? The trade is finished. Done. Get over it. We'll find out in November or December who got the better of the deal.

IMO it's not worth worrying about. We've got much bigger problems than Portis for Bailey. There are lots of other holes on D (loss of Gold and Berry), plus our O-line is shuffling with our losing O-linemen. WR is a big concern. So far, we're way short of the kind of team that can win a super-bowl. Whether this will get fixed before the season is anyone's guess.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X