Replacing Ian Gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Ian Gold

With the thought of losing Ian Gold at hand a lot of posters have been discussing his replacement. A lot of people say that Jashon Sykes will step in just fine, but there's a problem, Jashon Sykes is Mobley's backup at SLB. Gold's backup at WLB is Donnie Spragan, who happens to be a RFA. Does anyone think that we will be fine with Spragan?? Does anyone think we should sign a OLB?? Does anyone think we should draft a OLB?? What are your opinions?

Re: Replacing Ian Gold

Originally posted by DPg2003
    With the thought of losing Ian Gold at hand a lot of posters have been discussing his replacement. A lot of people say that Jashon Sykes will step in just fine, but there's a problem, Jashon Sykes is Mobley's backup at SLB. Gold's backup at WLB is Donnie Spragan, who happens to be a RFA. Does anyone think that we will be fine with Spragan?? Does anyone think we should sign a OLB?? Does anyone think we should draft a OLB?? What are your opinions?
    if gold does leave (im prayin he dont) syckes will do ok although he doesnt have the playmakin ability gold has....i wouldnt mind seein us draft vilma or dj williams from miami....

Comment

Re: Re: Replacing Ian Gold

Originally posted by bronco30
      if gold does leave (im prayin he dont) syckes will do ok although he doesnt have the playmakin ability gold has....i wouldnt mind seein us draft vilma or dj williams from miami....
      This is my point though, Sykes is not Gold's backup, Donnie Spragan is. Do you think Spragan can do the job though?, that is my question.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Replacing Ian Gold

Originally posted by DPg2003
        This is my point though, Sykes is not Gold's backup, Donnie Spragan is. Do you think Spragan can do the job though?, that is my question.
        IMO no he cant i no he filled in n did good but hes not the long term answer...i saw couch from the browns out run him last year n he had the angle to....plus hes RFA i havent heard if we offered him a tender yet...they might give pierce a shot to who knows...

Comment

Vilma from Miami will go before 24 but he's also a MLB i don't think he'd play to welll on the Outside

Comment

As I said in the other thread, Spragan is a MIDDLE linebacker. We drafted him as Wilson's replacement because Shanahan thought Wilson would be too expensive to sign. Then Wilson went out and had a monster year when everybody went down and they couldn't afford to let him go. He's the heart of the defense and we'd be cooked without him. So, we signed Wilson to the big contract and now Spragan is without a natural position. He doesn't have the speed to be an outstanding outside linebacker like Gold. He'd probably be o.k. with some more coaching, but hell! We had the best linebacking trio in the NFL with Wilson, Gold and Mobley! We should have kept all three! The Broncos insulted Gold by telling him that his injury wouldn't be used against him in contract negotiations this year, then doing just that. He's (rightfully) pissed-off and not inclined to sign with Denver.

Now his agent is getting a LOT of inquiries from other teams eager to sign him. If Shanahan thinks he can get Gold back for the "low-low" (Portis' expression) he's got another think coming.

Other teams are eager to sign Gold and pay him what he deserves. Are they all stupid? Can't judge his talent? We're the only ones who know what he's really worth?

I don't think so.
            sigpic

Comment

Well switching Terry Pierce over to LB and putting some1 else to backup Wilson might work cuz that man can hit hard and has decent speed or he was like this in College. And if he doesnt work out we can always draft people
              sigpic

When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece- John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                As I said in the other thread, Spragan is a MIDDLE linebacker. We drafted him as Wilson's replacement because Shanahan thought Wilson would be too expensive to sign. Then Wilson went out and had a monster year when everybody went down and they couldn't afford to let him go. He's the heart of the defense and we'd be cooked without him. So, we signed Wilson to the big contract and now Spragan is without a natural position. He doesn't have the speed to be an outstanding outside linebacker like Gold. He'd probably be o.k. with some more coaching, but hell! We had the best linebacking trio in the NFL with Wilson, Gold and Mobley! We should have kept all three! The Broncos insulted Gold by telling him that his injury wouldn't be used against him in contract negotiations this year, then doing just that. He's (rightfully) pissed-off and not inclined to sign with Denver.

Now his agent is getting a LOT of inquiries from other teams eager to sign him. If Shanahan thinks he can get Gold back for the "low-low" (Portis' expression) he's got another think coming.

Other teams are eager to sign Gold and pay him what he deserves. Are they all stupid? Can't judge his talent? We're the only ones who know what he's really worth?

I don't think so.
                Gold is developing into a great WLB, but ACL injuries are hard to recover from. Unless he is a great healer like Jamal Lewis I don't think he is worth a $15 mill signing bonus. I would love to have him back with Big A-Dubb, Champ, TP, and the young guys on that D.
                Last edited by DPg2003; 03-06-2004, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CireZero
                  Vilma from Miami will go before 24 but he's also a MLB i don't think he'd play to welll on the Outside
                  Vilma is undersized for an NFL MLB...he will be swithced to the outside in the NFL, and he will excel b/c of his speed (4.5) and natural intincts and intelligence. He'd be awesome in Denver!

Comment

Teddy Lehman, OU. Used to be a sprinter, for craps sake!!!
                    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                    men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

They can keep Sykes where he is and move Mobley back to his original position (If he is healthy).

Comment

don't want to think about losing ian gold

Comment

Originally posted by bustemindamouth
                          Vilma is undersized for an NFL MLB...he will be swithced to the outside in the NFL, and he will excel b/c of his speed (4.5) and natural intincts and intelligence. He'd be awesome in Denver!
                          He might make a great OLB, but he'll gone before we pick at #24.

Comment

Originally posted by rcsodak
                            Teddy Lehman, OU. Used to be a sprinter, for craps sake!!!
                            You think Lehman will be there at #24?

Comment

two words, Karlos Dansby. He will certainly be available in round 2

Zero Wing, the greatest Japanese to English translation ever...

Comment

Working...
                              X