No announcement yet.

I am getting sick of Gerrard Warren...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am getting sick of Gerrard Warren...

Don't get me wrong, I think Warren played lights-out for us last year and was the best DT we have had in a long time. To me, signing him and Lepsis were the two top priorities for the offseason. He played with fire, was constantly demanding double teams, and was always getting held.

But now, it seems like he is demanding more than double teams. Coming to Denver was the best thing that could have happened for Gerrard. He finally got on the winning side of things, made it to the AFC championship game and is conceiveably one step away from the Super Bowl. His old coach came to Denver and stuck his neck out and put his reputation on the line to bring Gerrard in.

But it seems like none of that matters to him.

He knows he is wanted here, and Denver is offering him what is probably a very competitive contract. Add in all the intangibles; the familiar system, the familiar players and coaches, the success of the program, and the very realy possibility of a deep playoff run in 2006 and it's the best deal out there.

But all he wants is more money.

He's ignoring everything and 'testing the market' to see if he can get a little more monetary value out of a contract...with anybody.

Apparently, "Big Money" doesn't care if he wins or not. He doesn't care if others have gone out of their way to rejuvenate his career. He doesn't care about his teammates, old and new.

All he cares about is money.

Take Courtney Brown for example. He is in almost an identical situation to Warren. Super-high draft pick of the Browns, on the D-Line, moved over to the same team at the same time with the same coach.

But what did Brown do? He restructured his contract to stay with the team. Here's what his agent had to say about the deal:

"I'm not excited about this particular deal," Demoff said. "But you represent the client and Courtney is very excited about Denver. He likes it there and wants to be there. And this is what he wanted to do, which is fine."

He wants to be here. He wants to win. He wants to bring a Super Bowl to Denver.

Warren wants money.

Which makes me think that these Browns fans were right about him all along. What happens if Warren gets that huge contract? It's obvious what his real motivation is. If he gets the money he wants...what does he have to play for?

So that's it. My favorite D-lineman from last year is now the guy who I most want to sign with another team in free agency. Let him go soemwhere else and be lazy, we will find somebody who wants to be here and wants to win.

Then maybe Warren will have something to think about as he is watching the Super Bowl from his Italian Leather sofa.

Good for you . . .

I was also high on Warren, having made a fool of myself at the first of the season, extolling his virtues as a DL. Yes, he did a pretty good job . . . not a Pro Bowl one, but pretty good . . . so he wants more than "pretty good" wages. What is apparent to me is that he sees what he views as an urgent need of the Broncos to hang onto him because of our erstwhile struggle to bring in quality defensive linemen. Well, let him play his way into the Pro Bowl, then pay him Pro Bowl money. Until then, he can get pay commensurate to his playing level. He did good journeyman work, so pay him a good journeyman's wage. If that is not good enough for him, then, yes, send him down the road, and we can sign a good journeyman. I hear Glover's a FA, for instance.

-----

Comment

What's wrong with testing the waters? Maybe he's just curious. Maybe he wants to see if a desperate club throws oodles of money at him. Maybe he's planning on signing with Denver once he evaluates all his options.

Can you at least wait until he jumps ship to start complaining about him?

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Makes me wonder if/ when he gets that big payday, will he go back to tanking it halfway through a game again?
        This space for rent

Comment

Originally posted by Perry1977
          Don't get me wrong, I think Warren played lights-out for us last year and was the best DT we have had in a long time. To me, signing him and Lepsis were the two top priorities for the offseason. He played with fire, was constantly demanding double teams, and was always getting held.

But now, it seems like he is demanding more than double teams. Coming to Denver was the best thing that could have happened for Gerrard. He finally got on the winning side of things, made it to the AFC championship game and is conceiveably one step away from the Super Bowl. His old coach came to Denver and stuck his neck out and put his reputation on the line to bring Gerrard in.

But it seems like none of that matters to him.

He knows he is wanted here, and Denver is offering him what is probably a very competitive contract. Add in all the intangibles; the familiar system, the familiar players and coaches, the success of the program, and the very realy possibility of a deep playoff run in 2006 and it's the best deal out there.

But all he wants is more money.

He's ignoring everything and 'testing the market' to see if he can get a little more monetary value out of a contract...with anybody.

Apparently, "Big Money" doesn't care if he wins or not. He doesn't care if others have gone out of their way to rejuvenate his career. He doesn't care about his teammates, old and new.

All he cares about is money.

Take Courtney Brown for example. He is in almost an identical situation to Warren. Super-high draft pick of the Browns, on the D-Line, moved over to the same team at the same time with the same coach.

But what did Brown do? He restructured his contract to stay with the team. Here's what his agent had to say about the deal:

"I'm not excited about this particular deal," Demoff said. "But you represent the client and Courtney is very excited about Denver. He likes it there and wants to be there. And this is what he wanted to do, which is fine."

He wants to be here. He wants to win. He wants to bring a Super Bowl to Denver.

Warren wants money.

Which makes me think that these Browns fans were right about him all along. What happens if Warren gets that huge contract? It's obvious what his real motivation is. If he gets the money he wants...what does he have to play for?

So that's it. My favorite D-lineman from last year is now the guy who I most want to sign with another team in free agency. Let him go soemwhere else and be lazy, we will find somebody who wants to be here and wants to win.

Then maybe Warren will have something to think about as he is watching the Super Bowl from his Italian Leather sofa.
          I hadnt read those comments about the Brown deal, but it makes me extremely happy that he is on here...players like that are what turn a group of players into a 'team'.

Its more then obvious what Warren wants, and while we desperately need him...I wouldnt be horribly upset if we let him walk. Any team that does sign him would be well advised to keep him on a one-year leash so that his lazy arse keeps playing to his full potential.

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie
            What's wrong with testing the waters? Maybe he's just curious. Maybe he wants to see if a desperate club throws oodles of money at him. Maybe he's planning on signing with Denver once he evaluates all his options.

Can you at least wait until he jumps ship to start complaining about him?
            i agree with you.

and how do we know how serious an effort the broncos have made thus far in signing him? with the cba situation as it is, its fully possible negotiations havent gotten past the preliminary stages. if he tests the waters and someone throws buckets of moolah at him, good for him, seeya round.

but lets at least see how the situation ends up before we turn on the guy. i remember reading one article and warren's agent said something along the lines of 'warren will most likely be back with the broncos'. cant remember the exact wording or the article, but its posted somewhere on the board. the fact of the matter is, none of us know what has or has not gone on between the warren camp and the broncos as far as negotiations.
            "Philosophers have hitherto merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point, however, is to change it."--Karl Marx

"And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgement day of every idle word you speak. The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned."--Jesus Christ

Comment

It may be annoying but it is part of football. Do you think the Chiefs wanted to let John Tait leave for Chicago? Of course not. If he had stayed here and not signed a huge contract with Chicago the Chiefs would already have there starter at left tackle for the next 5 or 6 years. Players leave all the time for money, regardless of if where they are going is a winning atmosphere or not.
              "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Demands?

It really is pretty simple. If he demands too much money, let him go. The Broncos are at the top of the league now and there will be some good D-Lineman that hasn't had the opportunity to go to the playoffs. There may be some young talent on the practice squad that is ready to step up. Demetrin Veal is still young and improving and there are two DEs on the practice squad with good potential. There is alot of time to solve the defensive line problems. If the CBA finally gets set, the cap is suppose to be about $10 million higher. Let Warren take his talent somewhere else, like Oakland, and draft a couple of D-Linemen and sign a fairly young veteran free agent. I'm sure that Sundquist and Shannahan are brainstorming to meet all the possible situations. The foundation is there, all it needs is a little tweaking. If Warren wants to test free agency, let him, as he is the one taking the bigger risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry1977

Glad to see that you are seeing the light about Warren.

Now you see why I hate him. I've always blasted Warren on this board and praised Courtney Brown. Now you are seeing why...
                  The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Perry... We just cut Trevor Pryce. This isn't a loyal game.

This is a business, nothing more, I hate to break it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by RoorRipper
                      Perry... We just cut Trevor Pryce. This isn't a loyal game.

This is a business, nothing more, I hate to break it to you.
                      I don't think Perry is necessarily talking about loyalty.

I believe he is talking about a player who is holding out for more than he is worth.

See also my previous post.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by Dawgfan
                        Glad to see that you are seeing the light about Warren.

Now you see why I hate him. I've always blasted Warren on this board and praised Courtney Brown. Now you are seeing why...

Maybe Bronco management is listening to you because so far they have re-signed Brown and not Warren.

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe

I believe he is talking about a player who is holding out for more than he is worth.

-----

That, and more importantly a player who's only motivation is money. He's been accused of being lazy in the past, and last year when money was on the line he played well. Putting two and two together, I don't think he'll be worth a damn when he gets a phat paycheck.

If he has the money, he will no longer have any motivation to play hard. I think his actions show that to be the case fairly obviously.

Comment

great post perry! CP to ya!

i've said all along i wouldn't break the bank for warren, i think we can find someone else who can clog the middle, occupy blockers, and notch 19 tackles and 3 sacks. . . without paying an ungodly sum of money.

i have friends who are browns fans, and they will ALL tell you the same thing as dawgfan-- Big Money is a lazy bum! maybe he worked a little harder this year in anticipation of the payday-- but watch out once he gets the money!
                            Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe

-----
                              I whole-heartedly agree with him then.

If a team really wants to pay him that much we might as well let them. It will alter our first round selections, I think we would take a DT, and hopefully J the Irish E will step up opposite of Courtney Brown.

Say if Gerard gets a bigger offer and we cut him, do you think we would draft a DT with one of our two first round selections?

Comment

Working...
                              X