Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We need to get the TE more involved in our O.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado69
    replied
    Two TE formation

The two TE formation was the dominant formation used last year, due to great support for the running game. Alexander blocked very well and Putz did OK. An upgrade would allow for both TEs to be good receivers and blockers. The formation was used because it allowed so many options. With one of the best TE coaches in the league (Brewster), I see improvement at the position. With Heimerdinger known to like downfield action, maybe they will work the center of the field more with the TEs.

Leave a comment:

• Snk16
    replied
    Originally posted by bcbronc
    ya i remember. and i remember dukes nice catch in the corner. problem is those are the only ones i remember on the season.

we need someone that is a pressence in the red zone that coordinators actually have to pay attention to. this helps the passing game (obviously), but when a linebacker or safety is concerned about covering a TE, it also helps the running game.
    Well, it's pretty much easy to tell what we're going to do with the TE when you think of it. Most of the time we pass when Putz is in the lineup. We usually run when Alexander is in. Duke is what we probably want to develop to be the numero uno TE.

Our TEs have been good though. Putzier was our 3rd best receiver last year, so obviously we got some production.

Leave a comment:

• bcbronc
    replied
    Originally posted by WABronco
    Don't you remember Stephen Alexander's season-clinching, one handed TD catch?

Lol, jk, but it's probably cuz our receiving TE was out on 99% of redzone possessions.

ya i remember. and i remember dukes nice catch in the corner. problem is those are the only ones i remember on the season.

we need someone that is a pressence in the red zone that coordinators actually have to pay attention to. this helps the passing game (obviously), but when a linebacker or safety is concerned about covering a TE, it also helps the running game.

Leave a comment:

• WABronco
    replied
    Originally posted by bcbronc
    1 touchdown reception would be nice.
    Don't you remember Stephen Alexander's season-clinching, one handed TD catch?

Lol, jk, but it's probably cuz our receiving TE was out on 99% of redzone possessions.

Leave a comment:

• Inkana7
    replied
    Two of our TEs had TD Receptions, just not our starting one.

Leave a comment:

• bcbronc
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
    Let's see...

Putz was the #3 receiver on the team last season, with Rod and Ashley being the #1 and #2.

How much more do you want?

1 touchdown reception would be nice.

Leave a comment:

• chope
    replied
    We need a big posession riciever too...someone besides Rod who can make a tough catch in the red zone or 3rd downs.

Leave a comment:

• WABronco
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
    Let's see...

Putz was the #3 receiver on the team last season, with Rod and Ashley being the #1 and #2.

Exactly. I'd say that 75% of the TE production last season was from the play action/bootlegs as well...

Leave a comment:

• broncos_mtnman
    replied
    Let's see...

Leave a comment:

• cadencesdad
    replied
    Originally posted by IrishConrad
    There where many a time when Putzier getting smashed was due to Plummers poor throws. HE was late with the ball, threw it high, to far in front, etc.

So...maybe we need a QB who can do better than....kram the ball to Rod Smith most of the time.

Anyway....we do really need to get the TE more involved.
    Yea, all those interceptions he threw were because of his "lousy" accuracy too.

Leave a comment:

• Broncosfreak_56
    replied
    If we can get a big play TE and put him into our offense more i think it will help our 3rd down success greatly.

Next season I don't want to see 3/4 of our third and six's to go to a forced pass into Rod Smith.

Using Lelie more at the end of the year helped alot but we need to get more TE!

I got a fever.....and the only cure is a TE with 10 TD catches .
    and a cowbell

Leave a comment:

• vicious2500
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangePeel
    i completely agree, and ill venture to say that EVERYONE misses having a dominant Tight End like in the Sharpe years. This is why im hoping, in the greediest little part of me that Vernon Davis falls to us, or we trade up a few spots to get to where we think we might acquire him. Either that or pray that Duke can have a Gates like career with his basketball skill translating to NFL stardom.
    We could also draft Mercedez Lewis. He's not the beast Davis is and is only slightly shorter than Pope. Or something like that... All I know is he's 6'7 and played basketball. I'd rather put the future on a 6'7 former basketball player with less wear and tear on there legs and knees than one who had 3 ACL tears in the same leg. Getting Lewis would give us a big target for Plummer that he just can't miss and he would be able to throw one target passes to him from the pocket. To help alleviate the pressure on Hot Rod to come down with the ball.

I'd also like to Shanahan work Lelie into the offense more and call his number for more than streak routes and deep fades. He has the ideal size to be working the short to intermediate stuff, but Shanahan rarely calls his number to go over the middle, run a drag route or run a crossing route to open him up to use his speed and altheticism. We're always dogging out Lelie for not going over the middle or catching a short route and turning it into a first down, but he actually never gets the chance to when his numbers rarely called or Plummers locking in on Smith.

Leave a comment:

• IrishConrad
    replied
    we do

NATE JACKSON!!!!

He was a decent reciever than we told him to put on weight.

Leave a comment:

• OrangePeel
    replied
    i completely agree, and ill venture to say that EVERYONE misses having a dominant Tight End like in the Sharpe years. This is why im hoping, in the greediest little part of me that Vernon Davis falls to us, or we trade up a few spots to get to where we think we might acquire him. Either that or pray that Duke can have a Gates like career with his basketball skill translating to NFL stardom.

Leave a comment:

• ImaBroncosFan
    replied
    There where many a time when Putzier getting smashed was due to Plummers poor throws. HE was late with the ball, threw it high, to far in front, etc.

So...maybe we need a QB who can do better than....kram the ball to Rod Smith most of the time.

Well if you put it that way then maybe we need a better offense that wont put us in so many 3rd and long situations Lets face it, our offense doesent exactly have that many playmakers who can pick up those long 3rd downs regularly. So yes, a better TE would help tremendously. Thats a no brainer, the hard part is getting one

Leave a comment:

Working...
X