Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Agents All Signed?!

Hey All,
    Anybody keeping up with the lists of restricted and un-restricted free agents? Is it just me or does it look like the majority of the really good players have already been snatched up? Think the Broncos might make a move on someone new anytime soon? What do you guys think?

all we should be looking at is ian gold, forget the rest of the pool.
    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

agreed

well I agree that we DEFINATELY need Gold back. I hope they are at least concentrating on that.

Comment

Anybody know if we re-signed Mike Leach? ESPN(http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?oldTeamId=7) has him back with the team, but I haven't read it anywhere else. We all know how important Long Snappers are.

Comment

The Broncos better start signing some good free agents because if our team stays as it is right now, we don't have a chance at the playoffs right now. Look at our offensive starting lineup at this moment, it lacks explosiveness in every position. Our receiving corps is just awful right now in my opinion. Rod Smith has turned into a possession receiver, Lelie has not proven that he can carry the load, and all our other WR's are unproven and not ready to assume a bigger workload. We need offensive help. Our defensive needs help too, because if we don't get Gold back, then our defense is the exact same as it was last year, with the exception of ONE cornerback. Champ Bailey cannot change the face of our D himself, especially with no pass rush and a lack of talent at LB(if Gold leaves and Mobley retires.) I think within two years, Shanahan will be fired.

Comment

Well it definately seems like they're looking more towards the draft for a rebuilding pool. I'm just not sure that it's a great idea to do that when you've got 24th pick. thank goodness for 2 2nd round picks and a deep draft.
            The problem now is, (in reply to last post), that eventhough picking up FA's might have BEEN a good call, there really aren't many (if any) left unsigned that would really improve the team.
            I think they will probably get Gold back... but by moving slowly, they've probably made that harder on themselves too because all the other clubs that have waited a little long are probably going to be bidding him up now, being that he's one of the best that's left.
            Anyone have any thoughts one any FA's that are left that would help?

Comment

Originally posted by thehoot79
              I think within two years, Shanahan will be fired.
              And who, in your expert opinion, should coach the Bronx into the future?!?

It's not like there is a line of coaches waiting for the call!

Tell me who is AVAILABLE that you would rather see at the helm.

If you're willing to give him two years, why don't you wait until 2006 to spout off on the coach?!?

Just asking...
              ~SshrpALelCB Lcous @T&T T m1 ^S 4Tr~

Comment

A few other players might be released that we could claim.
                2 parts of the #1 defence in the NFL !!!

Comment

Is your name Dan Snyder? Its true that alot of the high profile, big dollar FA's are signed at this point, but that doesn't mean we're in a whole lot of trouble yet.

Any given team can only look at one or two of these types of players unless you're the Skins and aren't worried about hosing yourself down the road(and in any case we hooked a big fish by the name of Bailey, trading a 300K/year player for a huge dollar player).

We've got a solid core, and although we've lost some quality players I don't think we're in trouble just yet (every team is going to lose a few quality players to FA, its the nature of the league now). Quite honestly I haven't been overly impressed with alot of the prospects that the Broncs have passed on at this point (Garner for instance). I'm still hoping we can get Gold to come back, and we've still got the bucks to do it if management feels that his price is reasonable.

In any case we've got a fair amount of depth at many of the positions we've given up to FA so far. In addition to that the draft is looking very good this year. I expect to see a couple rooks competing for starting positions this year. Overall I see the FA pool being a little weak this year compared to some others and a draft with more potential than usual. It seems to me that the Broncs have laid out most of the FA money that they're likely to (which isn't much, and I consider CB to be FA money even though thats not exactly how it went down), and are looking to the draft for improving some positions.

Whats the right way to go? It's a real toss up right now I think, while there were a few quality FA's out there that we passed on, we did sign a high dollar high quality player in CB. Given the cap problems we have over the next two years I think we may be better off looking at some lower dollar player (backups who may be ready to move into starting positions as well as a rook or two) for some positions... our skill positions are still pretty solid for the most part IMO.

I'm not really concerned yet, I'll have a better feel after the draft for where our holes really are.
                  Last edited by Plastique; 03-10-2004, 02:46 AM.

Comment

The Broncos better start signing some good free agents because if our team stays as it is right now, we don't have a chance at the playoffs right now. Look at our offensive starting lineup at this moment, it lacks explosiveness in every position. Our receiving corps is just awful right now in my opinion. Rod Smith has turned into a possession receiver, Lelie has not proven that he can carry the load, and all our other WR's are unproven and not ready to assume a bigger workload. We need offensive help. Our defensive needs help too, because if we don't get Gold back, then our defense is the exact same as it was last year, with the exception of ONE cornerback. Champ Bailey cannot change the face of our D himself, especially with no pass rush and a lack of talent at LB(if Gold leaves and Mobley retires.) I think within two years, Shanahan will be fired.
                    i think you are wrong about our offense. Plummer hhads turned into a great decision maker, he wont turn the ball over very much. He makes good throws and has improved his accuracy, Lelie was always explosive and when his confidence is up he is very fun to watch he can dominate a secondary. Madise was explosive also in his kick return(nobody else even broke 50 yards i dont think and madise only had one game of returning) no reaosn to believe he cant transfer some explosiveness onto the field. Also, the running game is always explosive, Gifiin or whoever starts will have explosive runs, when portis was out, Mike anderson had a 44 yarder, Griffin had a couple nice runs too. If anderson can break a 44 yard run as slow as he has become after becoming a FB, our HB can still break longer ones.

and i think it is funny how you say ONE CB cannot change the face of the defense, yet you think the offense is DESTROYED cause ONE person left it (cant count mccaffrey he had 19 catches).
                    Last edited by Return of Lava; 03-10-2004, 09:00 AM.
                    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

if we don't get Gold back, then our defense is the exact same as it was last year, with the exception of ONE cornerback. Champ Bailey cannot change the face of our D himself, especially with no pass rush and a lack of talent at LB(if Gold leaves and Mobley retires.)
                      this is crazy, gold didnt even play last year yet we were 4th in D in the league, that ONE CB you are talking about was the weakest part of the D unit, the secondary, when you make a weakness into a strength, it boosts a teams over all talent level. If we dont get gold, we have a better D anyway cause we got bailey, our LB's did very solid without gold but the secondary didnt have bailey last year so we are better this year cause we have bailey added with the same solid backup LB's.

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

I think you're absolutely right about your assessment of the team. We're looking at another 9-7, maybe 10-6 season and an early exit from the playoffs if we make it that far with the crew we seem to be getting.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Shanahan will be fired. Only Bowlen can fire him and he's given no indication that he ever will. I don't know who'd be any better either. There's a lot to be said for stability. Teams that change coaches frequently rarely do well.

The draft is all very nice for the future, but rarely do rookies make a difference in their 1st season. Maybe some exceptional RB's like Portis do, but few other positions allow a rookie to start and make a big difference. SO, we can basically tell how the team's going to look this season without looking at the draft.

WR's are a big concern. Rod Smith is a year older and slower, no Eddie Mac. Shannon probably retired. Ashley Lelie has proven disappointing so far, no proof he'll ever become the player we hoped he would. (Remember when it looked after 2000 that Deltha would round into shape as a annual pro-bowl CB)? Sometimes players don't ever live up to their potential. Lelie could be another one for all we know). I hope not, but it's quite possible. Beyond that all there are are question marks. Can a bunch of unproven WR's step up? Well, we've been waiting for it to happen for years now and it never did. Anybody remember Frank Rice and the all the ink wasted on his "potential"? Most players with "potential" remain just that -- until the day they're quietly released and it's admitted that they just didn't realize their "potential".

If you've been a Broncos fan for a long time, you know what I mean.

No Portis and a question mark at RB (I think we'll be O.K. here, but who really knows)?

The defense takes 1 step forward (Bailey) but 2 steps back (losing Ian Gold and Bertrand Berry). So far, NOT so good.

Looks like salary cap issues may prevent the 2004 Broncos from fielding a SB competitive team. May turn out to be a "rebuilding year."
                        sigpic

Comment

^^^^Good post.

Unfortunately I think you may be right about a rebuilding year. We won't have much punch on offense this year, unless our draft picks all manage to learn the offense quickly and run it (which I doubt), and our defense will be about the same. Areas of concern:

OFFENSE:
                          WR (smith is old, eddie gone, lelie hasn't performed, and backups have "potential")
                          RB (we are betting the farm that we can produce another 1,000 yard rusher despite the fact that we lost salaam, nalen is older, and gibbs is in atlanta)
                          O-line (see above)
                          TE (is sharpe coming back, and if not can putzier fill his shoes)
                          FB (mike anderson won't play FB so who is left?)
                          DEFENSE:
                          LB (who will fill gold's spot and will mobley be back, and what about spragan coming back)
                          D-line (who will replace berry?)

There are a lot of holes and that doesn't even address depth that is just starting positions. Don't even mention special teams.
                          Rivers, Suck it long suck it hard.

You too Cutler.

Comment

Ummmm......

We will be very good on defense this year WITH or WITHOUT Ian Gold....He didn't even play much last year and our young LBers got a LOT of experience....

On offense, Plummer showed enough to me to know we won't suck.....We NEVER have problems running the football..Sharpe appears to be coming back, and Lelie/Smith should be a decent set of wideouts again this year.

You guys who say we won't make the playoffs are ridiculous....

We will be BETTER next year, and YES, Champ WILL make that much of an impact on defense, a shutdown CB is vital when calling defensive plays.

Watch and see.
                            Eeerrrrrr.......

Comment

Rascal is right in his assesments. We have serious holes to fill. The two biggest are another pass rusher and a quality receiver. Bailey can only buy so much time, without a pass rush receivers will get open. I don't think that we should panic though, there is still plenty of time til next year. Shannahan is likely waiting until after the draft to make his move.
                              Patriotic dissent is a luxury of those protected by better men than they.

Comment

Working...
                              X