X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren cashes in

Broncos | Warren lands a six-year deal
    Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:38:49 -0800

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Denver Broncos have reached an agreement on a six-year contract with DT Gerard Warren. The deal, which makes Warren one of the NFL's highest paid defensive tackles, is worth about $36 million and includes approximately $10 million in bonuses.
    "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

i toast to that, no one wastes money like my boys the denver broncos.
    w3 d!dnT l0$3 th3 gAm3, w3 ju$t rAn oUt of t!m3

Comment

Working hard to keep one of their priority free agents, the Denver Broncos on Saturday reached agreement with defensive tackle Gerard Warren on a six-year contract extension, ESPN.com has learned.

The deal, which makes Warren one of the NFL's highest paid defensive tackles is worth about $36 million and includes approximately $10 million in bonuses.

Denver officials worked late into Friday night to lay the groundwork for the agreement and then the two sides resumed negotiations on Saturday afternoon. Agent Joel Segal, who negotiated the contract, was out of town and could not be immediately reached for comment.

Warren was the No. 14 player in the ESPN.com ratings of unrestricted free agents.

The Broncos had been very public about their desire to retain Warren, who played extremely well in his first season in a Denver uniform, after being acquired from the Cleveland Browns in a March 2, 2005 trade for a fourth-round draft pick. And Warren told Denver-area media outlets this week that his preference was to remain with the Broncos, perhaps even at less money than he might have commanded as a free agent.

Warren's value to the Broncos goes significantly beyond his statistics. He started all 16 games in 2005, and registered a modest 42 tackles and three sacks. But the five-year veteran anchored the interior of a defense which statistically ranked No. 2 in the league against the run, and occupied blockers so that the linebackers could flow to the ball.

It marked the first time in his career that the former University of Florida star was asked to subjugate his own goals for the overall performance of the unit and, playing for defensive line aide Andre Patterson, who also coached him in Cleveland, he responded well.

The third overall choice in the 2001 draft, Warren was often criticized in Cleveland for not living up to that lofty status. But he is a player who can eat up blockers and get some penetration when put into "one-gap" situations, and the Broncos coaches love him.

Warren, 27, has played in 76 games, all but one of them as a starter, and has 289 tackles, 19½ sacks, five forced fumbles, four recoveries and 13 pass deflections.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2364298

---
      Seems like too much money too me.
      sigpic

Comment

Great I love paying a guy like Warren that much money especially after his A+++ season last year. Denver is stupid he isn't worth that kind of money.

Comment

Errr... . We need to go pillage our management...
          sigpic
          PSN & XBL: Vicious2500
          You Shed Tears of Scarlet

Comment

Unless this contract is extremely back loaded I would think this will keep the Broncos out of the free agent market for the most part.
            "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

6 years 36 million? what is that 6 million a year or something

so we have about 4-5 million left?

Comment

Broncos | Leach lands four-year deal
                Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:51:29 -0800

The Denver Broncos have re-signed TE/LS Mike Leach to a four-year contract. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
                  Broncos | Leach lands four-year deal
                  Sat, 11 Mar 2006 13:51:29 -0800

The Denver Broncos have re-signed TE/LS Mike Leach to a four-year contract. Financial terms were not disclosed.
                  we probably gave him 40 million a year with 15 million bonus

Comment

that ruined my day a little

Official Knowshon Rockwell Moreno Fan Club Member 1

Comment

Well Denver is officaly out of Free Agency I guess they are depending on young guys from the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazindro
                        Well Denver is officaly out of Free Agency I guess they are depending on young guys from the draft.
                        no man

why are you so stupid

we can still restructure Champs and Rod contract and its not like Warrens new deal used 100% of our cap room...

Comment

Wow. That is a BOLD signing.

Lets give him a chance to earn his money.

Comment

Originally posted by BRONCOS_OWN_U16
                            no man

why are you so stupid

we can still restructure Champs and Rod contract and its not like Warrens new deal used 100% of our cap room...
                            We could restructure, but whether they take that route is undetermined. And Warren took up a good chunk of our Cap with this new deal. Not all of it, but a good chunk.

And why exactly is name calling going on here?

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
                              Unless this contract is extremely back loaded I would think this will keep the Broncos out of the free agent market for the most part.
                              It's prolly $3mill this year, and ending up at $9mil in the end......nothing different than any other team.

I imagine he's prolly gonna hit the cap for $5m this year.......

They've still got a handful of players that will re-do their contracts........
                              "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                              tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                              men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X