Warren cashes in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ydave77
    To kind of make a comparison. I think the deal that this guy got kind of set the market.

"Defensive tackle Maake Kemoeatu, one of the hottest players in the unrestricted market, on Saturday agreed to a five-year contract with the Carolina Panthers.

Maake Kemoeatu
    Defensive Tackle
    Baltimore Ravens

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
    Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int
    40 30 10 0 1 0

The four-year veteran, who had played his entire career with the Baltimore Ravens, will earn $27.5 million over the course of the contract, which includes a $6 million signing bonus and $2 million in second-tier bonus. His base salary for 2006 is $1 million. "

5 yrs 28 mill, is about the same as warrens 6 yr 36 million deal. Not sure how good this guy is, but I guess this ESPN writer regards him somewhat highly. I would have liked to gotten a hometown discount (I know its only been 1 yr, but at least he was happy here) from Warren, but we definitely did not. I feel like we overpayed, but at the same pt, with all the cap money out there this yr, someone probably woudl have paid even more. We all have to realize there were teams out there with over 30 million in cap room. Someone would have paid him more than we did I think. That doesnt mean we shoudl have paid him 36 million, but that is probably his market value.
    why you repost this

Comment

Originally posted by kmartin575
      Unless this contract is extremely back loaded I would think this will keep the Broncos out of the free agent market for the most part.
      don't you wish! keep hoping. . .
      Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeT.O.Blue
        Hey guys now that i read more and more deals that are coming in.....maybe Warren isn't so expensive:

Jaguars | Team lands B. Williams
        Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:22:21 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports free agent CB Brian Williams (Vikings) has agreed to a six-year, $32 million deal that includes a $10 million signing bonus with the Jacksonville Jaguars, according to a league source. Interestingly, Williams will be reunited with former Vikings head coach Mike Tice, now an assistant for the Jaguars.

That is a 6-year contract that is only 4 mill smaller then Warrens.......and we all know that Brian Williams isn' that good so they wouldn't pay him tooooo much overall so the price they are paying him must be good for his skills.....so seem how it is a little bit less then Warren and yet Warren has more impact the deal isn't so bad
        dude their the vikings

they have 1 billion cap room

Comment

Originally posted by BRONCOS_OWN_U16
          dude their the vikings

they have 1 billion cap room
          The link says he went to the Jaguars...
          sigpic
          PSN & XBL: Vicious2500
          You Shed Tears of Scarlet

Comment

Originally posted by vicious2500
            The link says he went to the Jaguars...
            oh never mind

Jags have 900 million room though

Comment

i dont mind the signing of warren at all were still way under the cap....now if we can just get abraham, resign dayne, leach n burns it'd be a good offseason....well maybe TO to....

then draft DL WR OL n safety be ok w/ me...

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeT.O.Blue
                hey smart one he left the vikings...the report was about the Jags signing him
                they are both rich in cap room

but yeah i didnt read the full thing and when i saw vikings i assumed he was resigned by the vikings

if i read it all i would of known he went to Minessota

I mean Jaxonville

Comment

If you look at NFL contracts, the last year are two escalate into the stratosphere,
                  it makes the contract look huge and impressive, but the reality is that this is probably going to hit the cap about 5 mil for each of the next 4 seasons.

We still have some cap room, if we need more we know how to manipulate it.

Abraham is not out of the question.

We are a d-line away from a Superbowl win, now is the time to pull out all the stops and make it happen.

If we did get Abraham, alot of good players would be willing to sacrifice some $$$ for a chance to play for a ring.

Don't worry, be happy.........The Bronco's are finally starting to act like a team that wants to win. (By keeping quality d-line players)

Oh, and BTW, the rookie pool has already been set aside.
                  Last edited by Superchop7; 03-11-2006, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I don't get it. At all.

Over the past two seasons, we have let two of the premier pass rushing DEs leave our team because they wanted 5 million per season. Both were young and in their prime.

We have ranked in the Top 5 against the run for years with such players as Monsanto Pope, Mike Myers, Mario Fatafehi, etc... Players making minimum dollars with the job to clog the middle.

So we sign Gerrard Warren for 6 million per year to clog the middle, and make him one of the highest paid DTs in the entire world. A guy with motivational problems, a guy that has averaged 16 tackles and 3 sacks the past two seasons, and a guy that many are concerned will "turn it off" when he finally gets his payday (like he did after being drafted #3 overall).

Well, we are going to find out I suppose.

In my mind, the math is wrong. You take an average player + above average potential + attitude/motivational problem + poor history/performance in the league and you make that equal "one of hte highest paid DTs in the NFL".

Didn't we do this with Daryl Gardner?

Comment

He better play his butt off again. That is a lot of money......

Comment

Originally posted by ydave77
                        To kind of make a comparison. I think the deal that this guy got kind of set the market.

"Defensive tackle Maake Kemoeatu, one of the hottest players in the unrestricted market, on Saturday agreed to a five-year contract with the Carolina Panthers.

Maake Kemoeatu
                        Defensive Tackle
                        Baltimore Ravens

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
                        Tot Ast Solo FF Sack Int
                        40 30 10 0 1 0

The four-year veteran, who had played his entire career with the Baltimore Ravens, will earn $27.5 million over the course of the contract, which includes a $6 million signing bonus and $2 million in second-tier bonus. His base salary for 2006 is $1 million. "

5 yrs 28 mill, is about the same as warrens 6 yr 36 million deal. Not sure how good this guy is, but I guess this ESPN writer regards him somewhat highly. I would have liked to gotten a hometown discount (I know its only been 1 yr, but at least he was happy here) from Warren, but we definitely did not. I feel like we overpayed, but at the same pt, with all the cap money out there this yr, someone probably woudl have paid even more. We all have to realize there were teams out there with over 30 million in cap room. Someone would have paid him more than we did I think. That doesnt mean we shoudl have paid him 36 million, but that is probably his market value.

Just doing a little more digging to add to my earlier post, and this is actually somewhat of a deep market for DT's. Which sucks, this is a list of guys that were UFA's this yr. Some have already signed, not sure of the terms for Glover for instance. But with this depth, we will see how much the others get paid.

Hovan for instance got "Chris Hovan's new contract is for five years and $17.5 million. Hovan could have received more as a free agent, but it's still an amazing reversal for a player who had to play for the league minimum last season. It's a terrific deal for Tampa to lock up a young run-stopper for a reasonable price." -- USA Today

That stings a little. I wish we got a discount from warren, which we obvoiusly didnt. I guess with how thin we are at DT, Shanny and Sundquist couldnt risk letting him leave. I think Warren prob would have gotten about this kind of deal in FA with all the cap room abounding , but that still doesnt mean he was worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan
                          I don't get it. At all.

Over the past two seasons, we have let two of the premier pass rushing DEs leave our team because they wanted 5 million per season. Both were young and in their prime.

We have ranked in the Top 5 against the run for years with such players as Monsanto Pope, Mike Myers, Mario Fatafehi, etc... Players making minimum dollars with the job to clog the middle.

So we sign Gerrard Warren for 6 million per year to clog the middle, and make him one of the highest paid DTs in the entire world. A guy with motivational problems, a guy that has averaged 16 tackles and 3 sacks the past two seasons, and a guy that many are concerned will "turn it off" when he finally gets his payday (like he did after being drafted #3 overall).

Well, we are going to find out I suppose.

In my mind, the math is wrong. You take an average player + above average potential + attitude/motivational problem + poor history/performance in the league and you make that equal "one of hte highest paid DTs in the NFL".

Didn't we do this with Daryl Gardner?
                          I do respect your opinion with you studying law and all that. I especially respect your football knowledge, but let's look at something, maybe the Bronco Organization decided that they would keep who they have because they believe in them. They resigned Courtney Brown and now Gerrard Warren. They realize they need a big-time pass rusher and they have said they are going after John Abraham.

They did not want Warren to get out on the market because then his price could have soared astronomically. Many of the newspapers and articles that I have read says that. Gerrard Warren would have got away to.

We don't know the terms of the contract, but you can bet it is cap friendly because Shanahan and Sundquist are masters at working with the cap.

Daryl Gardner came into the team and made a mess of himself even before the regular games, he was nothing but a nuisance and bother to the team.

Warren came in, worked hard, kept his mouth shut and just did his job. First year on the defense and he can only get better. I believe he is only 27, so he has a lot of football left in him.

Look at the NT at San Diego, he can really make things happen and not only on the stopping the run, NT on Pittsburgh same thing, Warren could be that good and maybe better if he is playing with a team and team members that believe in him. Cleveland does not have the linebackers or secondary to back up their DL and that is why Warren could not excel there.
                          Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

man, jamal williams is a BEAST!!
                            Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

i could be wrong but wasnt warren already on the 4-5 milluon this year and if so and his deal is for six million doesnt that mean we still have roughly 11 mill left?becuase i have heard that if he had gotten away we would have roughly 15-16 in cap space
                              The fool who fancies he is full of wisdom
                              While he sits by his hearth at home.
                              Quickly finds when questioned by others .
                              That he knows nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazindro
                                Well Denver is officaly out of Free Agency I guess they are depending on young guys from the draft.

OK, WHATEVER.

sigpic
                                They're your teammates, now.
                                Best of luck, TT!
                                ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

Working...
                                X