Why a new WR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why a new WR?

I've seen too many threads about drafting or getting an FA WR. Why? These are the WRs we have for training camp:

Rod Smith: The No.1 son now.

Ashley Lelie: Needs a bit more experience and confidence and he'll be all-pro. Has amazing speed for the deep balls.

MarTay Jenkins: Had a good run with Jake in Arizona. Has quite a bit of speed and will do punt/kick returns

Adrian Madise: Had a brilliant training camp (elusive speed, great hands, good route running and vision) but, like most of last year's draftees hardly got any game time. The One to Watch. Also a PR/KR

Nate Jackson: Tipped to be Eddie Mac Mk2. Good height, decent speed and will hopefully follow in Rod's footsteps (Practice Squad -> Starter)

Charlie Adams: Had a good season in NFL-E (receiving end of Nick Rolovich). Maybe a good prospect for the future.

This corps maybe very young, but on paper it looks brilliant. Give them season, becasue I would. We don't need any more WRs with this group around...
    sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Re: Why a new WR?

Originally posted by muse
    I've seen too many threads about drafting or getting an FA WR. Why? These are the WRs we have for training camp:

Ashley Lelie: Needs a bit more experience and confidence and he'll be all-pro. Has amazing speed for the deep balls.

MarTay Jenkins: Had a good run with Jake in Arizona. Has quite a bit of speed and will do punt/kick returns

Adrian Madise: Had a brilliant training camp (elusive speed, great hands, good route running and vision) but, like most of last year's draftees hardly got any game time. The One to Watch. Also a PR/KR

Nate Jackson: Tipped to be Eddie Mac Mk2. Good height, decent speed and will hopefully follow in Rod's footsteps (Practice Squad -> Starter)

Charlie Adams: Had a good season in NFL-E (receiving end of Nick Rolovich). Maybe a good prospect for the future.

This corps maybe very young, but on paper it looks brilliant. Give them season, becasue I would. We don't need any more WRs with this group around...
    true
    sigpic

Comment

i think thats if we drafted another WR wr with an ability to take a hit and go across the middle that would be good... right now we have rod who is to old to take major hits anymore and a bunch of fast young guys who are deep threats i dont see any one able to get a frist down with every catch... a guy that can go across the middle thats what i want... so i guess if we get a good TE we could live with the guys we got but if sharp is gone then lose our across the middle guy we need to adress that somewhere... and the addition of a FB with good hands would be good in the flat and a huge plus to jake with his roll outs...
      No matter what, I win.

Comment

Originally posted by DistilledFun
        and the addition of a FB with good hands would be good in the flat and a huge plus to jake with his roll outs...
        Reuben was one of Jake's favourite TD targets last season...
        sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

i thought i heard somewhere we we going to lose reuben but i could be wrong... and i like reuben but we have little depth at the FB spot.
          No matter what, I win.

Comment

Re: Why a new WR?

Originally posted by muse

are you saying if denver moves up and has the chance to get a big time reciever they shouldn't. if at the 24 pick a good reciever falls at denver's lap we shouldn't pick him? how long have madise,jackson and adams have had to produce due to eddie mac's injuries and none of them have made a impact. you want a reciever that makes the defense change thier scheme once you double rod smith, lelie or shannon has to get open and as of right now we don't know that shannon will be here next year.
            Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Comment

It's like this,

In 2001 the second round and we're up, we have a stable full of RB's in the backfield, yet we take CP. Why did we do this? Because if you have the chance to take someone that should be a top 12 pick but isn't due to the wealth of one particular position in this draft, such as Clayton or Woods. Then you take it.

Jenkins doesn't know the routes or running scheme's and will have to learn just like a rookie.

Madise could be something special but needs time to develop.

Rod Smith IS getting older and will be slowing down.

Lelie hasn't proved that he's ready to step and may never do so.

The need for Wide Receiver is large now, and think of this lineup as a future one.

Clayton/Woods
              Lelie
              Madise

This would be good. Look we need another WR, when McCaffery went down. Lelie just seemed to disappear. The only threats were Smith and Sharpe.

Comment

portis was also a threat catching...
                No matter what, I win.

Comment

He's gone!!! Let's deal with the present. QG can catch out of the backfield. However with the loss of CP, teams aren't going to respect our passing game until we ram the ball down some teams throats. Thats just the way it's gonna be, so we have to be ready with some immediate impact players. Woods or Clayton will be an immediate impact player. Troupe or Watson would be sitting second fiddle to Sharpe if he's around. If he's not then we still are going to get one of them in the 2a pick. Its all going to come down to who drops to number 24. There are a lot of teams who might be wanting to drop down to get more picks. If a player such as Randy Starks drops or Wilfork or a player of that caliber gets close, then we might move up.

Comment

disagree

How many ROOKIE wide receivers have ever made an impact in the NFL? We can't expect to DRAFT a WR and expect him to step up and be one of our Go-to guys this year. If you want immediate impact, you have to go with a proven commodity.... thats why the signings of FA is nice to have to compete for starting jobs. I keep hearing how great madise is because of the positive press he got in last year's preseason and trainng camp updates.. but even HE (with all the high praise) didn't make ANY impact to our offense. I LOVE Eddie Mac, but he wasn't much of a commodity last year, and if anyone in the lineup was ready to step up, they could have last season. THATS why I think we hear so much about needing another WR. Do I think that drafting a WR is a bad idea for the future? No.. of course not. But don't expect them to make any impact this season.

Comment

im over portis i was just giving him credit for catching out of the backfeild... we need more of that
                      No matter what, I win.

Comment

we need some1 with a little experience apart from rod.

jackson would of been a gr8 signing.

Comment

i'd still like to see the Broncos look at Dez White out of Chicago.

Comment

Working...
                          X