hows the off-season going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hows the off-season going?

whats your opinion of how the off-season has started off? I am kind of disapointed
    Im very happy with it!
    15.69%
    It could be better
    60.78%
    Worst start of the off-season ever!
    15.69%
    Well fix our holes in the draft
    7.84%
    Im Tight

Originally posted by broncoguy7b
    whats your opinion of how the off-season has started off? I am kind of disapointed
    Alot of people are, but its mostly the impatient.

We have resigned a few players that played a part in our success last year, that was first on the to-do list and its done...just because we havent gone out signed every possible good player available (ala redskins) doesnt mean we arent off to a good start.

Comment

Some of you guys need to CHILL OUT! It's Monday--only three days into the FA period.

Many of Denver's rumored targets, such as John Abraham and Andre Carter, are still on the market.

What, did you guys want Edge, LeCharles Bentley, and Adam Archuleta? Denver wasn't talking to those guys, so they're most likely gonna sign elsewhere.

If Abe and Carter both go off the market, then you can be disappointed. But when you expect the unrealistic, you're going to disappointed most of the time...
      Last edited by WABronco; 03-13-2006, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Yay I have learned to be patient and glad we kept Warren although I believed we over-paid him a bit. I'm also glad we kept Dayne, but I would like to see Lewis and Abraham here.

Comment

I think the off-season is going great!!

We lost Anderson and Putz, and at this point that will hurt our already shady offense.

We have resigned a few key elements, and with a couple holes still left to fill, we're sitting pretty in what's a deep draft with up to 6? first day picks including 2 in the first round.

As far as I'm concerned, the less noise in the offseason, the better.

See Yuz.

Comment

OFF-SEASON ROCKS SO FAR!!

specifically because we've kept lepsis and nalen! i keep saying this-- they were more valuable to us than ANY free agents!! we got under the cap without losing any vital parts, and now we have a little money to hopefully fill a few holes. believe me, all disappointment will vanish once we ink abraham (at least it should!). . .
            Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

what offseason

Originally posted by broncoguy7b
              what offseason all we have done is resign our own players

GETCHA PUll

Comment

Originally posted by TD IS H O F
                what offseason all we have done is resign our own players

It's all that needs to be done.

There are ALOT of team's out there who haven't done anything, including resign their own players.

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
                  OFF-SEASON ROCKS SO FAR!!

specifically because we've kept lepsis and nalen! i keep saying this-- they were more valuable to us than ANY free agents!! we got under the cap without losing any vital parts, and now we have a little money to hopefully fill a few holes. believe me, all disappointment will vanish once we ink abraham (at least it should!). . .
                  The off-season doesn't "rock". Keeping Lepsis and Nalen is BIG, but it's just like the Red Queen said in Alice in Wonderland "You have to run as fast as you can just to stay in one place." Unfortunately, staying in the same place doesn't win you the SB.

To do that the Broncos would actually have to IMPROVE over last year's team.

And to do that they need a monster pass-rushing DE (John Abraham is the only one in view).

And a WR who could stretch the field and keep teams from doubling Rod Smith over the middle. T.O. would be ideal here, but it doesn't look like the Broncos will have the money to sign him unless they can't sign either Abraham or Carter. Maybe not even then if Shanahan thinks T.O. will command too much money.
                  sigpic

Comment

I believe the offseason is going as planned per the front office so far.

There is certainly more work to be done, but first you have to solidify (re-sign) your foundation before you can build on it.

There is still plenty that can be done, hopefully that starts with John Abraham. But, if not, then it leaves a scenario that could possibly fit A. Carter, T.O., and still keep both 1st round picks.

Abraham would add the most to the team IMO, but he will also cost the most in dollars and picks.

There are lots of options still available and I fully expect Shanahan to make something happen. He will make a splash with Abraham, T.O., or if neither of those work and since J. Lewis will not be coming, he could make a splash on draft day if need be.

I think the Broncos have done a good job of solidifying their foundation, and this means a lot because not only does it hold down our trenches, but it lets players from around the league know that the BRONCOS are one of the teams that DOES take care of its own, and that means a lot come free agency signings for the present and the future.

Comment

Basically I don't see Carter making an huge impact at all. If Abraham goes with a different team then there one free agent gone for Denver to help improve us. We won't sign TO (I don't want to either) because Dallas has tons more cap room then us. Jamal Lewis has been re-signed to the Ravens. So far this has been depressing, and will get more depressing if we don't get Abraham.

Edit: It's good that we re-signed our own guys which I'm glad we did, but without 1 or 2 huge additions then will have to wait a few years to get back to the Super bowl imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                        The off-season doesn't "rock". Keeping Lepsis and Nalen is BIG, but it's just like the Red Queen said in Alice in Wonderland "You have to run as fast as you can just to stay in one place." Unfortunately, staying in the same place doesn't win you the SB.

To do that the Broncos would actually have to IMPROVE over last year's team.

And to do that they need a monster pass-rushing DE (John Abraham is the only one in view).

And a WR who could stretch the field and keep teams from doubling Rod Smith over the middle. T.O. would be ideal here, but it doesn't look like the Broncos will have the money to sign him unless they can't sign either Abraham or Carter. Maybe not even then if Shanahan thinks T.O. will command too much money.
                        how will you feel if we do get abraham?
                        Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

I think it's pretty good so far. Almost any team's offseason could be better, especially if you're looking at it in hindsight, as we will later this year, but I don'to see anything wrong with it so far. You can't get EVERY target you want. I kind of wanted LaVar Arrington, but I don't think we're looking at him. I wanted Jamal Lewis too, but nope, didn't get him. Oh well! You have to have a complete package from the point of view of both the team and the player to sign a player, we just have not had that yet.

Look at what we did last season... 13-3 and a trip to the AFC Conference Champsionship. In the regular season, we lost a huge upset to the Dolphins and two close games to the Giants and Chiefs. So far, we have concentrated on keeping our team together and freeing up space to improve it. Even if we don't get TO or JA, although I really hope we do land them both, we are still in a good position to do well next year. Our schedule consists of the following teams:

Oakland (x2)
                          San Diego (x2)
                          Kansas City (x2)
                          Baltimore
                          Cleveland
                          Pittsburgh
                          Cincinnati
                          San Francisco
                          Arizona
                          Seattle
                          St. Louis
                          Indianapolis
                          New England

How much have our opponents improved so far? I feel that I can expect AT LEAST 4/6 wins against the AFC West. We could sweep our division, but I respect KC's and SD's talent too much to say that's a lock. Baltimore has only improved their already solid running game and replaced a young DE with one that is past his prime. Cleveland has made some improvements, mainly to their line. Cincy and Pitt haven't really done anything, except Pitt lost their center, second WR, and Free Safety. San Francisco has done nothing but lose players, Arizona has just signed James, Seattle lost an integral part of their line and could possibly lose the DT who is possibly their best. St. Louis improved their linebacker corps and are transitioning to a new coach. Indianapolis and New England aren't doing anything but going down. Indy will still be very tough, especially if we play them at the RCA Dome, but they're losing parts of their first good defense in a while and lost their running back. We've all seen that New England is losing players and is aging. Not saying these two will be bad teams, but they're definitely not improving! After looking over our schedule, I do not think we are behind at all to be extremely competitive next year, even with our current roster.
                          I'm officially eating crow. I support McDaniels.

Wishing for Jared Odrick in 2009.

sigpic

Comment

Well, I'm sure this is to the surprise of everyone, but I'm not thrilled. At all.

1) Tom Nalen has had subpar seasons the two years prior to his final payday year. He played very well last season and "got his money". Now, will he revert to his previous play? Will he stay healthy, he is somewhat old and undersized?

And what the hell about Ben Hamilton? He is paid much more than an Offensive Guard should be paid. He was signed to an Offensive Center's contract. Seems like a waste of money to me, though Hamilton is a solid player.

2) I'm extremely happy with the Lepsis resigning and the price tag.

3) I'm fine with cutting Pryce and choosing to go with Brown. I think we overpaid Brown a little bit though, but I am a fan of run stuffing Power Ends.

4) I'm fine with resigning Ron Dayne and the price tag.

5) I hate the Gerrard Warren resigning. We overpaid by so much, it's mind-boggling. Yes, we would have lost the greedy SOB in FA if we didn't meet his demands, but I can't see any other team paying him that much money. I think he and his agent pumped us like a blow up doll for all we were worth, and they will laugh all the way to the bank.

6) I don't understand the Mike Leach resigning with Myers on the roster already. That probably suggests the team has doubts about him.

7) I can't understand cutting Putzier. I can't understand why we never used him in the red zone last season either. The guy caught everything and usually got coldcocked for doing so, but he never dropped the ball. Sharpe wasn't even a decent blocker until late in his career. Now we have no TE. Alexander? puhleeze. Duke? Yeah, lets bank an entire position on an unknown entity.

8) Darius Watts. What the hell are we doing with this guy. These fools drafted him in the 2nd round, they need to play him and his nerve dead hand, and see if he can become anything (Seriously, do we need any more proof the Denver scouting department has no clue how to evaluate players and do their due diligence on background maladies). Adams and Devoe, while solid special teamers, showed nothing last year. I can't imagine Jerry Rice could have been worse. Now the team wants to burn another draft choice on a WR in a super weak WR draft. Sooner or later we will figure out to just sign one in FA and follow the MUG plan, which has been detailed every season, and basically avoids drafting WRs in the draft's first day at all costs.

9) I cant see how we are going to get a DE (which we need). We carry 4 DEs and 3 DTs. Ekuban, Engleberger, Brown, and this practice squad kid Sundquist is ga-ga over. DTs = Myers, Warren, and Veal. We'll pick up a late round DT for practice squad purposes. Hardly exciting.

I'm hoping we somehow acquire a DE and just cut Ekuban before the season. It's a longshot, but their has to be truth to these DE interest rumors, right?

Anyhow, the moves seem questionable. And overpaying Warren was just ludicrous with the other solid run-stuffing DT options available.

Comment

i think it has been great. we resigned most of our core guys from last year. Mug has a point as he always does about some of them and their contracts but they were on our team last year and helped us to a 13-3 season, so if we retain them possibley sign a FA or two and draft well..(ha ha yeah right) i think we will be sitting pretty good.
                              So far:
                              FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                              1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

Working...
                              X