No announcement yet.

Any news on a back-up QB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well , jeff garcia woulda been my first choice for the backup spot, but the eagles jumped on him to backup Mcnabb, Now we are hearing that Gus may be let go down in miami so i would say he would be a good choice now, New orleans let Brooks go but that guys ego wont allow him to sign as a backup for backup money and im Hearing that the Vikes may want to bring him in to compete with johnson as the starter there.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

Awwwwwe man you mean to tell me we did not get Drew Brees to start and push St. Jake back to a roll where he should be for our team..... LOL
      sigpic

Comment

Save me from Jake!

Originally posted by DaWildHorse
        If the Rams get rid of Marc Bulger, the Broncos should pick him up. He would be an improvement over Jake; he's more accurate, throws a nice deep ball, and makes better decisions.
        I completely agree. I've been racking my brain trying to think of someone 1) good enough to replace Jake as a starter, 2) available and 3) affordable. I like this idea, assuming the Rams releasing Bulger is more than a rumor. To acolytes of St. Jake, I must ask: if it was possible to do a straight up starting QB for starting QB trade, whom do you think we could con into taking it? Yeah, that's what I thought....

Second question: if Jake is so great, why is the idea of having him compete with someone talented so horrible? I miss Griese soooo much, but doubt he's ever coming back, sigh.
        Last edited by Morambar; 03-15-2006, 09:24 PM.
        SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Morambar
          I completely agree. I've been racking my brain trying to think of someone 1) good enough to replace Jake as a starter, 2) available and 3) affordable. I like this idea, assuming the Rams releasing Bulger is more than a rumor. To acolytes of St. Jake, I must ask: if it was possible to do a straight up starting QB for starting QB trade, whom do you think we could con into taking it? Yeah, that's what I thought....

Second question: if Jake is so great, why is the idea of having him compete with someone talented so horrible? I miss Griese soooo much, but doubt he's ever coming back, sigh.
          1. have you thought of one yet?

2. none are avail.

3. none are affordable.

Bulger would be eaten alive behind our O-line. Just not agile enough to play anywhere there is not a BIG drop back passing O-line.

Most clubs don't pay to QB's big money for one of them to set on the bench or hold clip board.

YOUR correct greasy will never be back in a DEN uniform. To many burned bridges. Hallelujah.

Comment

Old discussion...

...Jake haters vs St Jake. Why do we want to spend our money on another QB when we have other more pressing needs. For crying out loud, he just got us to the AFC Championship game. Heck I think we could win 3 outta 4 SuperBowls and with one interception some people would be like, uh we better get another QB cause he sucks. Wow have you read your posts. Kitna was a backup for a reason. He's a slinger but other than that he predominantly sucks. McKown had played quarterback before but that was about it. Boy lets run right out and get them cause we need someone to challenge Jake. There have been how many threads like this? Ugh!!!
            Be jealous haters...I am the #1 Broncos fan no matter what your car tag says

Comment

Ibid.

Sure, I can think of lots, but most of 'em are starting. The Culpepper/Johnson thing looked good 'til the former got snatched up. One of the Viking fans I know was talking about Brad STILL having to compete for a starting job; I wouldn't mind him coming to Denver if he loses it. By and large though, top QBs are hard to find, and even harder to pry lose once they are found. Sure, there's lots of QBs I'd like to see in Denver; I like Bledsoe, but he's taken; Peyton Manning's not too bad, but I think the Colts may keep him. And neither would come cheap. The only way I can see getting a first class QB is with a trade, not through free agency. We have to convince somebody to give up a proven winner, not hope somebody releases one. I was kinda hoping for a Mike Anderson+somebody trade, but it looks like that ship has sailed. Frankly, I'm stymied at this point because the team's so solid at every other position (we don't NEED TO or Keyshawn, we need a solid TE like Jay Novacek to deliver on third and long the way Ed McCaffrey did) there's no one I want to lose.

But the difference between a championship QB and the rest is what happens when all else is equal. In other words, Jake didn't get the team to the AFC Championship, the team got Jake there. The defense won the game against the Pats, and if you don't believe it, check the offensive stats. And the TEAM was good enough to walk all over Pitt at home, except for one tiny little problem: someone couldn't decide between two fumbles or two picks, so he compromised and gave away both. Jake looks great against the Oaklands of the league, but been there, done that, got the T-Shirt: it says "AFC West Champs" instead of "Super Bowl XL Champs." Now, I'm prob'ly the only guy in Austin who isn't a Longhorn fan, but I'm not deaf or blind, and if I didn't already know, Vince Young and Chris Simms neatly illustrated the difference between a QB who knows how to win and one who knows how to not lose against teams on which he can score forty points. If we want a QB who can not screw up and get into the playoffs, Jakes the man; if we want one who can win Championships when the running game meets a killer D, we need someone else. Someone smart, who doesn't make mistakes, like Griese, whose proven he can punch it in when the chips are down, which is why I'm not sure I'd take Steve McNair if he was offered. He'd still be better than Jake though; wonder what we'd have to send the Texans for Carr. Dunno; the Cardnials need help everywhere, as usual, maybe we should talk to them, or the Jags, or even the Eagles. They're out there; the question is what's it gonna take to get one?

Meanwhile, if Jake wins a Super Bowl with only one pick I'll STFU, but the last game he played he had 4 turnovers to the rest of the teams 0 and it COST us a Super Bowl. End of story.
              SIGN RANDALL GODFREY FOR SLB AND BACKUP MLB NOW!!!

Comment

Heard this morning that the Broncos are going to talk with Gus Ferrotte. If he does come back, where does that leave BVP?

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Native
                  Heard this morning that the Broncos are going to talk with Gus Ferrotte. If he does come back, where does that leave BVP?
                  On the practice squad where he belongs, he has a good upside but shouldn't be our backup not enough experience.
                  sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

I wonder why Jake has lost 3 playoff games in three years, and fans want heads to roll, and Paymeaton Manning has lost three playoff games in three years, and fans think he's the second coming???

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhampton
                      1. have you thought of one yet?

2. none are avail.

3. none are affordable.

Bulger would be eaten alive behind our O-line. Just not agile enough to play anywhere there is not a BIG drop back passing O-line.

Most clubs don't pay to QB's big money for one of them to set on the bench or hold clip board.

YOUR correct greasy will never be back in a DEN uniform. To many burned bridges. Hallelujah.
                      I am also glad griese will never be back, as to bulger you are also right---he would never stand a chance in Denver's current play action and scramble scheme, he does have a great arm with good accuracy though, i was really impressed with him last year when he was lighting up the colts at indy before he got hurt for the second half

i know denver signed kliff kingsbury (sp?) last year to the practice squad--is he signed with anybody now?
                      Go Broncos!
                      Go Avs!
                      Go Nuggets!

Comment

QB solution

How about drafting one? There are a few good ones that will be available after the first round. The Jacobs kid can be had in the 3rd round. He is mobile and has been a winner. He is 6'3", 224. The ESPN evaluation is as follows:

Overall: Played sparingly as a backup to Josh Harris (Browns) in 2003. Took over as a fulltime starter as a sophomore in 2004, when he threw for 4,002 yards and rushed for 300 more. He completed 66.9-percent of his 462 passing attempts and threw 46 TD passes compared to just four INT's on the season. Jacobs is a junior in 2005 and has not indicated what his intentions are regarding his NFL future. Jacobs has all the physical tools to develop into a starting quarterback at the NFL level. He has great size, as well as good arm strength and mobility. He is an accurate short-to-intermediate passer and has developed into a solid decision-maker. Jacobs will, however, need a lot of work in order to polish his game for the next level. His release point is too low and his consistency as a deep-ball passer needs to improve.

Comment

i didn't have time to read thru all the posts, but drafting a qb might be a viable option. BVP is still the man ok so i am biased towards him, but how about. joey harrington. yeah i know.. but he played for the lions and they suck. He was a former first round pick maybe a change in scenery could do him well.yes he did have a good arsonal of weapons at wide out, but here in d-town..... lost my train of thought.....sh**ty i cant remember whee i was going with this. someone finish this for me..... i hate being a loser
                          So far:
                          FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
                          1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

There's been some mention of Joey Harrington.

This could actually be a good pick up if the price was right.

He would have a working knowledge of the West Coast offense, having played under Mariuchi for several seasons.

He's a scrambler type of player, which fits our offensive style.

As far as any concerns about his past performance with the Lions, I would only ask....

how many of you would have picked Plummer based on his AZ performance?

Yet, St. Jake has had better performance (though he still has room to get better) since coming to the Broncos.

What's to say that Joey couldn't have the same success?

Plus, he's younger than Frerotte and hasn't had to miss any games due to head butting the stands.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman

He would have a working knowledge of the West Coast offense, having played under Mariuchi for several seasons.

As far as any concerns about his past performance with the Lions, I would only ask....

Yet, St. Jake has had better performance (though he still has room to get better) since coming to the Broncos.

Plus, he's younger than Frerotte and hasn't had to miss any games due to head butting the stands.

Mtn Man I agree with you. Harrington in the right system would be a great pickup.
                              People say no because he was terrible in Det, so was Jake in Arizona.

I am not saying replace Jake with Harrigton, but he would be a good backup.
                              NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

Whoa!!

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman

THIS IS THE BIG ONE!!

I'M COMING TO MEET YOU, ELIZABETH!!

-----

Comment

Working...
                                X