Denver signs FA LB Nate Webster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver signs FA LB Nate Webster

OK, so this isn't the BIG move so many posters are calling for, but it addresses a need.

************************************************** *****************************

Article Launched: 03/15/2006 1:00 AM MST

broncos notes
    Webster may provide depth at linebacker
    By Bill Williamson
    Denver Post Staff Writer

The Broncos are expected to make their first out-of-house free-agent signing today, beefing up their linebacker depth by adding former Cincinnati starting middle linebacker Nate Webster.

Webster, 28, is expected to come to Denver today and sign his contract, according to an NFL source familiar with the negotiations. The Broncos went into the offseason looking for a top backup at linebacker.

Webster, a third-round pick by Tampa Bay in 2000, has started nine NFL games. He was injured most of his time in Cincinnati.

Webster can play inside and outside linebacker, and likely will join special-teams captain Keith Burns and Louis Green as the backups.

Webster's signing could mean the end of Patrick Chukwurah's time in Denver. Chukwurah is a free agent and could draw interest from Cleveland and Tampa Bay.

Denver also could make a run at quarterback Gus Frerotte, cut by Miami on Tuesday.

Frerotte, a former Broncos backup, chose Miami over Denver last year. St. Louis and Baltimore also may be interested. The Broncos are pleased with backup quarterback Bradlee Van Pelt, but signing Frerotte would allow Van Pelt to develop at the position.

Smith promoted

The Broncos promoted Rick Smith to assistant general manager Tuesday. Smith, 37, spent the past six
    years as Denver's director of pro personnel. He will work closely with coach Mike Shanahan and general manager Ted Sundquist on all aspects of the team.
    Smith has received interest from several teams in the past year, including San Francisco and Minnesota.

"When opportunities from other organizations come in, you sit down and weigh the pluses and minuses, and I realized the most important aspects is ownership and the people you work with," said Smith, who is in his 11th season with the team.

"We have the best ownership in sports and a special group here. So I'm just elated about this move," Smith said.
    My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

man im so excited.

Comment

Originally posted by darrentwilliams
      man im so excited.
      Yeah, yeah, yeah........BE PATIENT . This is not a big $$ signing and doesn't preclude making a big move. Webster is likely to replace Chukwurah. Until Burns is re-signed, Louis Green is the only backup LB on the roster.

This is from ESPN.com. Chukwurah was given a grade of 64.

2005 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
      Grade: 70 | Key
      Alert: None

Comment:
      He is a very good athlete. He shows excellent play speed and range - sideline to sideline type of MLB. Plays aggressive inside - plays downhill and will attack the FB in the hole. He is an explosive hitter and wrap up tackler - can put his hat on the ball and force fumbles. He does a solid job of using his hands to play off blocks - protects his lower legs vs. cut blocks effectively. Shows excellent closing speed coming on the blitz. He will occasionally get in the wrong gap due to his aggressiveness. He could take better angles at times when coming across the field to make a play.

************************************************** *********************************
      From the Bengals official site:

Position: Linebacker
      Height: 6-0
      Weight: 240
      Birthdate: 11/29/1977
      College: Miami (Fla.)
      Acquired: UFA (TB) '04
      Experience: 7

Sixth-year pro returned to action late in the season, after completing rehab from torn patella tendon (right knee) that ended his 2004 season after three games ... Due to become an unrestricted free agent on March 3.

2005 RECAP: Opened the season on the Reserve/ Physically Unable to Perform list, due to a severe knee injury he suffered 9-26-04 vs. Baltimore ... Under PUP rules, he was made eligible Nov. 8 to return to practice, and was activated to the 53-player roster on Nov. 29 ... Made season playing debut in Game 15, Dec. 24 vs. Buffalo, and recorded 3 tackles ... On the roster but was inactive for Games 12-14 and 16, and for Wild Card playoff vs. Pittsburgh.

PREVIOUS SEASONS: 2004 - Had 7 tackles in Bengals debut Sept. 12 at NY Jets ... Led team with 12 tackles (8 solo) in win Sept. 19 vs. Miami, and also had 2 passes defensed ... Had 7 tackles (6 solo) on Sept. 26 vs. Baltimore ... Made a key play to keep the Bengals in contention in the second quarter of the Baltimore game, forcing a Kyle Boller fumble at the Bengals 2-yard line as the Ravens QB appeared to be bound for the end zone for a 21-yard TD run, and Cincinnati’s Tory James recovered the fumble for a touchback.

2003 - Finished seventh on team with career-high 66 tackles (40 solo), with 1 sack and 1 fumble recovery … Made his second career start Sept. 8 at Philadelphia, leading a 17-0 shutout win with team-high 10 tackles and a fumble recovery … Led team Sept. 14 vs. Carolina with career-high 15 tackles … Had his first career sack Sept. 21 at Atlanta, dropping Doug Johnson for 9-yard loss … Had 10 tackles in each of his last two starts, on Oct. 6 vs. Indianapolis and Oct. 12 at Washington.

2002 — Played in all 16 regular-season games and all three playoff games as Bucs captured NFL championship … Finished with 33 tackles in regular season, and ranked fourth in special teams tackles (16) … Had 2 tackles and 3 special teams stops Sept. 15 at Baltimore … Had 3 tackles at LB and 2 on special teams Sept. 29 at Cincinnati … Posted a season-high 7 tackles and a special teams stop in win Dec. 8 vs. Atlanta … Had 1 tackle and 3 special teams stops in NFC Divisional Playoff Jan. 12 vs. San Francisco … Recorded a pass defensed in NFC Championship Game on Jan. 19 at Philadelphia … Had 2 tackles and 1 special teams stop in Super Bowl XXXVII on Jan. 26 vs. Oakland.

2001 — Played in all 16 games with one start, and saw action in Wild Card playoff loss Jan. 12 at Philadelphia … Ranked 10th on the team with 53 tackles and added 4 passes defensed and 9 special teams tackles … Had 1 tackle and 2 crucial passes defensed in season-opening victory Sept. 9 at Dallas … Had 9 tackles Oct. 14 at Tennessee … Had 4 tackles and a special teams stop Dec. 2 at Cincinnati … Tied his season high with 9 tackles in first career start, Jan. 6 vs. Philadelphia.

2000 — Entered NFL Draft following his junior season at Miami (Fla.), and was selected by Tampa Bay in third round (90th overall) … Played in all 16 regular-season games and one playoff contest, finishing with 32 regular-season tackles … Made NFL debut Sept. 3 at New England, playing primarily on special teams … Had 3 tackles Oct. 1 at Washington after replacing injured starting MLB Jamie Duncan, and had 6 tackles the following week, Oct. 9 at Minnesota … Had 4 tackles and shared a sack in Wild Card playoff loss Dec. 31 at Philadelphia.

COLLEGE: Two-time All-Big East selection who amassed 301 tackles (178 solo), 14 tackles-for-losses and 7 sacks in just 22 starts … Recorded consecutive 100-tackle campaigns his sophomore and junior seasons … Entered the draft after his junior campaign … Named to Associated Press All-America second-team as a junior after leading the Hurricanes with 150 tackles (92 solo) and 19 tackles-for-losses … Named a semifinalist for the Bronco Nagurski Award, given to the nation’s best overall defensive player … Missed his last four games as a sophomore, due to elbow injury.
      Last edited by keithbishop; 03-15-2006, 12:55 AM.
      My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

Originally posted by keithbishop
        OK, so this isn't the BIG move so many posters are calling for, but it addresses a need.

************************************************** *****************************

broncos notes
        By Bill Williamson
        Denver Post Staff Writer

The Broncos are expected to make their first out-of-house free-agent signing today, beefing up their linebacker depth by adding former Cincinnati starting middle linebacker Nate Webster.

Webster, 28, is expected to come to Denver today and sign his contract, according to an NFL source familiar with the negotiations. The Broncos went into the offseason looking for a top backup at linebacker.

Webster, a third-round pick by Tampa Bay in 2000, has started nine NFL games. He was injured most of his time in Cincinnati.

Webster can play inside and outside linebacker, and likely will join special-teams captain Keith Burns and Louis Green as the backups.

Webster's signing could mean the end of Patrick Chukwurah's time in Denver. Chukwurah is a free agent and could draw interest from Cleveland and Tampa Bay.

Denver also could make a run at quarterback Gus Frerotte, cut by Miami on Tuesday.

Frerotte, a former Broncos backup, chose Miami over Denver last year. St. Louis and Baltimore also may be interested. The Broncos are pleased with backup quarterback Bradlee Van Pelt, but signing Frerotte would allow Van Pelt to develop at the position.

Smith promoted

The Broncos promoted Rick Smith to assistant general manager Tuesday. Smith, 37, spent the past six
        years as Denver's director of pro personnel. He will work closely with coach Mike Shanahan and general manager Ted Sundquist on all aspects of the team.
        Smith has received interest from several teams in the past year, including San Francisco and Minnesota.

"When opportunities from other organizations come in, you sit down and weigh the pluses and minuses, and I realized the most important aspects is ownership and the people you work with," said Smith, who is in his 11th season with the team.

"We have the best ownership in sports and a special group here. So I'm just elated about this move," Smith said.

what a great pick up lol. im so excited im gonna go out and buy his jersey tomm..

Comment

Whatever happened to patience

Kind of sad to see chucky go considering he was solid here. I wish him all the best

I dunno about Frerotte, he did play well but he's too much of a statue tbh for the system. Plus whenever I think of him, I remember him playing for the Bengals and throwing a left hand INT to a lineman for the TD. It was worse than Jake's vs KC.
          sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Does this mean Chuckwara isnt coming back? Thats what it looks like to me.

Comment

Originally posted by muse
              Whatever happened to patience

Kind of sad to see chucky go considering he was solid here. I wish him all the best

I dunno about Frerotte, he did play well but he's too much of a statue tbh for the system. Plus whenever I think of him, I remember him playing for the Bengals and throwing a left hand INT to a lineman for the TD. It was worse than Jake's vs KC.
              I guess we fulfill the European stereotype of Americans when it comes to waiting. Americans are thought to be impatient and look no further to Broncos fans. I think this is a good thing because we demand excellence and nothing else.
              Broncos fans since age 6.
              Fanatical Broncos fan since 1991.
              Favorite Player: John Elway
              Favorite Coach: Mike Shanahan

Comment

Man, I made a bigger splash this morning dropping the kids off at the pool.

Comment

Originally posted by keithbishop

broncos notes
                  By Bill Williamson
                  Denver Post Staff Writer

Smith promoted

This actually is a need spot and a good pickup, this guy is built for playing every LB spot on the field so he gives you good depth at all the Linebacker spots and denver needs that with only Burns and green filling those roles, Chewy looks to be gone so im cool with this signing, Now if they can sign either Gus or Garcia as our backup qb then we will be stronger there too.
                  "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

Nate Webster Signs!!!

Broncos | Webster signs two-year deal
                    Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:56:31 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Denver Broncos have signed free agent LB Nate Webster (Bengals) to a two-year contract with a signing bonus of $200,000. The deal includes base salaries of $585,000 (2006) and $720,000 (2007), but the second year of the deal will void if Webster plays in 70 percent of the team's defensive snaps in 2006.

Any thoughts? I, personally, like this addition.

Comment

Sorry old news I already was told the same
                      sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

Yay...an injury plagued backup linebacker...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Broncos
                          Broncos | Webster signs two-year deal
                          Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:56:31 -0800

Len Pasquarelli, of ESPN.com, reports the Denver Broncos have signed free agent LB Nate Webster (Bengals) to a two-year contract with a signing bonus of $200,000. The deal includes base salaries of $585,000 (2006) and $720,000 (2007), but the second year of the deal will void if Webster plays in 70 percent of the team's defensive snaps in 2006.

Any thoughts? I, personally, like this addition.
                          Here's some advice for fututre posts so that you can avoid being scolded by the Broncomania faithful. Check for other posts on the same topic before you start a thread. You can use the search feature if you don't see it posted on the front page. That way people don't have to sort through 50 threads all on the same topic.

Comment

ehh...not wat i really wanted.... but whatever
                            MMA News
                            MMA News 247

Comment

Threads merged.............

Comment

Working...
                              X