Trading Both 1st Rd Picks Might Be A Feasible Scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading Both 1st Rd Picks Might Be A Feasible Scenario

A team with multiple needs that arent scared of dealing a future first to us might be a scenario that can help us in alot of areas as well as saving money against the cap. I dont know the values and these may not be realistic but it would definately something to look into.

Trade Scenarios

Broncos Trade Pick 22 and 5th Rd Pick to NY Jets for 2nd Rd Pick(35) and First Rounder in 2007 Draft

Broncos Trade Pick 29 and 6th Rd Pick to Arizon Cardinals for 2nd Rd Pick(41) and First Rounder in 2007 Draft

Broncos would then have

35th Overall - Claude Wroten - DT - LSU
    41st Overall - Sinorice Moss - WR - Miami
    61st Overall - Jason Allen - S - Tennessee
    3rd Rd Pick - Darryl Tapp - DE - Virginia Tech
    3rd Comp Pick - Devin Hester - CB/KR - Miami
    4th Rd Pick - Marcus Vick - QB - Virginia Tech

Broncos add a talented class with First Round talent but 2nd round money. This would allow them to go out and add some veterans that may be cut loose between now and June. This also free's up money for them to make a run at TO without mortgaging their future. They would still have holes at DE but DT would be a major strength with Wroten and Warren inside. Allen was a top 10 pick a year ago. The Last two picks are luxury picks that could pay off. We need a kick returner in the worst way, devin is the best and is being mentored by Prime Time.
    A Wise Man Once Told Me Dont Argue With Fools Cuz People From a Distance Cant Tell Who is Who

I think Darrent Williams is a great KR, but after stepping up BIG TIME last year, I don't want to see him returning kicks anymore. No sense in risking injury.
    After all, the guy is only 5'8".

Comment

One maybe but not both. We need to get that DE for our first pick.
      Emancipate your mind!
      The People's Poster

Comment

Why not trade both the picks to move up in this years draft?

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoStampede
          Why not trade both the picks to move up in this years draft?
          Because the players that we want are in the perfect place.....

Comment

Originally posted by B4Bronco16
            Because the players that we want are in the perfect place.....
            You mean Ngata right?

Comment

A move like this COULD also free up the possible return of Jeb Putzier or the signing of a pass catching TE like Chris Baker. Just depends on how much the broncos believe in Wes Duke. Maybe a guy like Lance Johnstone from the Vikings who is a pass rush specialst can help. Najeh Davenport at RB for depth. All of which will be surrounded by TO.
              A Wise Man Once Told Me Dont Argue With Fools Cuz People From a Distance Cant Tell Who is Who

Comment

No way we get a high second plus that teams '07 first. Not gonna happen.

Comment

I laugh every time somebody talks about drafting Marcus Vick.

Comment

Originally posted by MilitantDBFan
                    A team with multiple needs that arent scared of dealing a future first to us might be a scenario that can help us in alot of areas as well as saving money against the cap. I dont know the values and these may not be realistic but it would definately something to look into.

Trade Scenarios

Broncos Trade Pick 22 and 5th Rd Pick to NY Jets for 2nd Rd Pick(35) and First Rounder in 2007 Draft

Broncos Trade Pick 29 and 6th Rd Pick to Arizon Cardinals for 2nd Rd Pick(41) and First Rounder in 2007 Draft

Broncos would then have

Broncos add a talented class with First Round talent but 2nd round money. This would allow them to go out and add some veterans that may be cut loose between now and June. This also free's up money for them to make a run at TO without mortgaging their future. They would still have holes at DE but DT would be a major strength with Wroten and Warren inside. Allen was a top 10 pick a year ago. The Last two picks are luxury picks that could pay off. We need a kick returner in the worst way, devin is the best and is being mentored by Prime Time.
                    I don't even know where to begin with this... First of all, other teams aren't dumb, they don't just send off all kinds of draft picks for fun. How do a 1st & 5th round pick equal a 1st and 2nd round pick in return from the NYJ, or a 1st & 6th for a 1st & 2nd from AZ? Are we just assuming the other teams hate drafting players? It makes absolutely zero sense. None.

And have you looked at any draft projections? Moss and Allen both being available in the 2nd round doesn't look likely at all. And Denver has far more pressing needs than a kick-returner. About the only thing you were right about was Prime Time mentoring Hester...Otherwise, there is just no validity to any of this... But thanks for trying

Comment

If we cant afford 2 late first rounders, lets save our money now and trade both our first rounders to move up. This way we only have to pay 1 first rounder.

We have held on to the players we wanted to hold onto in free agency, so lets wait for the draft to add talent. Free agency is screwed this year anyway, the contracts are huge.

Comment

If we cant afford 2 late first rounders, lets save our money now and trade both our first rounders to move up. This way we only have to pay 1 first rounder.

We have held on to the players we wanted to hold onto in free agency, so lets wait for the draft to add talent. Free agency is screwed this year anyway, the contracts are huge.
                        Sounds good.

Except that an early first rounder is going to want as much as two late first rounders, especially if we were to trade into the top ten picks. Moving up will only increase the amount of money we will need to secure a contract with that early first rounder.

No way we could afford that..............

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
                          Sounds good.

Except that an early first rounder is going to want as much as two late first rounders, especially if we were to trade into the top ten picks. Moving up will only increase the amount of money we will need to secure a contract with that early first rounder.

No way we could afford that..............

I thought we were $12 million under the cap anyway. What do these rookies want more money than Peyton Manning or something?

Comment

Originally posted by MilitantDBFan

Trade Scenarios

Broncos would then have

Doesn't make sense. First of all we will never have enough money to sign two high first rounders next year(regardless of the 107mil cap) and keep TO here. 2nd, Moss will go in the first or very early 2nd. He wont be around by 41. 3rd, Vick is a bad pick at 4th rnd unless you like having to cut rookies who end up robbing people at gun point.
                            sigpic

Thank you for everything Darrent. I'll never forget #27.

Comment

I thought we were $12 million under the cap anyway. What do these rookies want more money than Peyton Manning or something?

Yeah, they do!

iI's just the precedent already set. Early first round draft picks command big dollars, and 12 million wont cover it. Plus, that would leave us with zero to sign any other rookies.

Look at what some people like Rivers or Eli got! Although we wouldnt be picking that high, some people have suggested we trade up to a slot in that area.

That's the crux of it all, and why they are shopping those two first round picks. They wish to have enough money to sign the lower round picks they will get.

Ya gotta split that 12 million to begin with. Half of that is set aside to sign draft picks, with the rest hopefully going to a free agent. And Free Agency is far from over. I wouldnt give up on it yet. I didnt see what the new LB took, but you can subtract that $$$ from the 12 million already. Leaving even less for anyone else.

We are just in a tight spot this year. I doubt it will be any better next year, but they need to trim costs wherever they can, NOW. They just dont have the cash for two first rounders. My only question is - what took them so long to realize this? It was always clear we had cap problems, and the extra few million the league gave each team didnt really help us that much at all.

I posted in another thread what was in the Rovky Mtn News today about this. Last year, the 22nd pick got 8 million! The 29th pick got 7! Thats already 10 million over what we have available for our ENTIRE draft class this year.

We just dont have the cap space to sign two first rounders AND several other picks. It sucks, but there it is.

Draft picks look to the previous years slots to begin asking for money. Further, they want it to be a bit bigger! Meaning that slots 22 and 29 will expect an increase in pay from last years players taken in the same slots. So take that 15 million the two took last year, and add another 10%, at least.

Thats what we would need to have available to sign players taken in those two slots.

Unless we can get current players to take cuts or rework theyre contracts, I just dont see how we can begin to hope to sign two first rounders.

Two first rounders all sounded really great. Now reality sets in.

And reality in the NFL is one thing. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Comment

Working...
                              X