Trading Both 1st Rd Picks Might Be A Feasible Scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BroncoStampede
    I thought we were $12 million under the cap anyway. What do these rookies want more money than Peyton Manning or something?

Denver had just under $12 mil. in cap room BEFORE signing Leach, Dayne, Webster and Warren.
    My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

Originally posted by pdt2505
      I live in the Detroit area, and the talk today on the radio is that Denver does not want both first round draft picks. Basically the radio station was asking callers if he things the lions should trade the 9th overall pick to Denver if they offered both. I also recall reading an article that Denver has a lot of picks in the draft but not a lot of roster spots so expect Denver to trade some of their picks. I believe that with Denver potentially not getting Abraham, or TO that they are going to try and trade up to pick up hopefully an impact player. I was just curious to know what the talk is on the Denver sports stations regarding the draft. If Detroit talk show hosts ( reliable one's) are saying that Denver does not want both picks, I think they might make a move. If they could move up to 9, I would be all for it.

Mikey will still take the #22 /29 picks as he reaches every year for the players HE WANTS.

He has yet to make a logical choice in the first round and maybe even the second round.

He has picked up some gems 3-7 but a draft mastemind he is not.

Comment

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/dr...4537157,00.html

".....Having entered free agency Friday night at about $90.2 million against the $102 million salary cap, the Broncos have significantly less room after re-signing defensive tackle Gerard Warren, running back Ron Dayne and tight end/long snapper Mike Leach over the weekend."

The 2006 cap values for Mike Leach, Ron Dayne, Nate Webster and Gerrard Warren total $4,780,000 . At the start of free agency, Denver had $11.8 mil. available.........leaving $7,020,000. Money needed for draft picks will have to be subtracted from that total.
        My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

Comment

We need to use both firsts for need players. We all know draft picks don't always pan out. If we use both picks we might get at least 1 contributor.

Comment

Why not trade some 1st round picks for someone like eric moulds. Impact player he wants out of BUFFALO.

Comment

Originally posted by JWinn
              Yeah, they do!

iI's just the precedent already set. Early first round draft picks command big dollars, and 12 million wont cover it. Plus, that would leave us with zero to sign any other rookies.

Look at what some people like Rivers or Eli got! Although we wouldnt be picking that high, some people have suggested we trade up to a slot in that area.

That's the crux of it all, and why they are shopping those two first round picks. They wish to have enough money to sign the lower round picks they will get.

Ya gotta split that 12 million to begin with. Half of that is set aside to sign draft picks, with the rest hopefully going to a free agent. And Free Agency is far from over. I wouldnt give up on it yet. I didnt see what the new LB took, but you can subtract that $$$ from the 12 million already. Leaving even less for anyone else.

We are just in a tight spot this year. I doubt it will be any better next year, but they need to trim costs wherever they can, NOW. They just dont have the cash for two first rounders. My only question is - what took them so long to realize this? It was always clear we had cap problems, and the extra few million the league gave each team didnt really help us that much at all.

I posted in another thread what was in the Rovky Mtn News today about this. Last year, the 22nd pick got 8 million! The 29th pick got 7! Thats already 10 million over what we have available for our ENTIRE draft class this year.

We just dont have the cap space to sign two first rounders AND several other picks. It sucks, but there it is.

Draft picks look to the previous years slots to begin asking for money. Further, they want it to be a bit bigger! Meaning that slots 22 and 29 will expect an increase in pay from last years players taken in the same slots. So take that 15 million the two took last year, and add another 10%, at least.

Thats what we would need to have available to sign players taken in those two slots.

Unless we can get current players to take cuts or rework theyre contracts, I just dont see how we can begin to hope to sign two first rounders.

Two first rounders all sounded really great. Now reality sets in.

And reality in the NFL is one thing. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
              You posted this in another thread and I already pointed out that it's DEAD WRONG and you didn't even acknowledge that! That's the ENTIRE CONTRACT! NOT the cap figure for 2005!

According to the NFLPA the the #22 pick, Mark Clayton Ravens WR got $230,000 in salary for 2005. This will go up to $310,000 in 2007 and peak at $895,000 in 2009. The rest of the contract is in the form of bonuses! And I presume you know that bonuses are pro-rated over the life of the contract, and don't all count against the cap in the year of signing!

The same is true for #29 Colts WR Marlin Jackson!

So, the argument that the Broncos can't afford their picks because they will count as $7 or $8 million against the cap in 2006 is just B.S.!

Teams know in advance what their rookies are going to cost because these contracts are decided by draft order, not player talent, etc. So, every team in the NFL subtracts whatever amount it's going to take to sign their draft picks from the amount they have available under the cap and THEN signs their FAs with whatever is left!

That's presumably WHY the team let Trevor Pryce, Anderson and Putzier go!

For them now to come back and say they can't sign their draft picks is utter incompetence! It's like saying "I went out and charged up a bunch of stuff on my credit card and now I can't pay the rent!" Well, I know what my fixed expenses are, so why am I going on a spending spree and spending that money?

Rank STUPIDITY if true. That's all.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                You posted this in another thread and I already pointed out that it's DEAD WRONG and you didn't even acknowledge that! That's the ENTIRE CONTRACT! NOT the cap figure for 2005!

According to the NFLPA the the #22 pick, Mark Clayton Ravens WR got $230,000 in salary for 2005. This will go up to $310,000 in 2007 and peak at $895,000 in 2009. The rest of the contract is in the form of bonuses! And I presume you know that bonuses are pro-rated over the life of the contract, and don't all count against the cap in the year of signing!

So, the argument that the Broncos can't afford their picks because they will count as $7 or $8 million against the cap in 2006 is just B.S.!

Teams know in advance what their rookies are going to cost because these contracts are decided by draft order, not player talent, etc. So, every team in the NFL subtracts whatever amount it's going to take to sign their draft picks from the amount they have available under the cap and THEN signs their FAs with whatever is left!

For them now to come back and say they can't sign their draft picks is utter incompetence! It's like saying "I went out and charged up a bunch of stuff on my credit card and now I can't pay the rent!" Well, I know what my fixed expenses are, so why am I going on a spending spree and spending that money?

Ughhh, depressing stuff it that's how it goes down...

Good post though.

Comment

yeah we should do this every year for about six years or so (im pollish so i dont want to do the math)then we can own an entire first round.

Comment

Originally posted by MilitantDBFan
                    A team with multiple needs that arent scared of dealing a future first to us might be a scenario that can help us in alot of areas as well as saving money against the cap. I dont know the values and these may not be realistic but it would definately something to look into.

Trade Scenarios

Broncos Trade Pick 22 and 5th Rd Pick to NY Jets for 2nd Rd Pick(35) and First Rounder in 2007 Draft

Broncos Trade Pick 29 and 6th Rd Pick to Arizon Cardinals for 2nd Rd Pick(41) and First Rounder in 2007 Draft

Broncos would then have

35th Overall - Claude Wroten - DT - LSU
                    41st Overall - Sinorice Moss - WR - Miami
                    61st Overall - Jason Allen - S - Tennessee
                    3rd Rd Pick - Darryl Tapp - DE - Virginia Tech
                    3rd Comp Pick - Devin Hester - CB/KR - Miami
                    4th Rd Pick - Marcus Vick - QB - Virginia Tech

Broncos add a talented class with First Round talent but 2nd round money. This would allow them to go out and add some veterans that may be cut loose between now and June. This also free's up money for them to make a run at TO without mortgaging their future. They would still have holes at DE but DT would be a major strength with Wroten and Warren inside. Allen was a top 10 pick a year ago. The Last two picks are luxury picks that could pay off. We need a kick returner in the worst way, devin is the best and is being mentored by Prime Time.
                    Yeah I heard this on the radio today as well. But the whole reason behind us trading was to acquire TO and have the cap space to do it. And it depended on if the Jets really wanted Leinart enough to move ahead of the Titans who will most likely pick him. This Brees to the Saints thing has made things interesting. With Shanny's record of drafting, I would not be opposed to letting those picks go this year if we can get TO now and more picks for next year's draft. It is worth considering.

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel

Cugel,

Sorry I didnt respond so quik to your post in that other thread. With my new duties, it's just not realistic for me to even subscribe to threads anymore. I'd get 500 e-mails a day.........

However, I did respond to another poster in that thread. Saying I just went off what the paper told me this morning from that article that keithbishop provided a link to in this thread.

I do know about pro-rated bonuses, but it didnt say anything about that. Now maybe my reading and comprehension skills lack a bit, I can live with that. I just took it to mean we couldnt afford to sign two first rounders + 7 other picks + some big name free agent.

No need to get angry here.

However, your credit card example holds very true for a lot of people posting here. They think we can just grab anyone and everyone and charge it. With no consideration of the cap.

I have no idea what the Broncos are doing any more than anyone else posting here. But I do have faith they know what they are doing.

I disagree however that they always know what a draft pick is going to cost them. At least some of the time. Many first rounders like to hold out, thinking they are worth more than they truly are. Maybe not at 22 or 29, but it does happen.

Alot of us are getting way to worked up over nothing more than speculation............................

They havent even delt those two picks yet. Unless something happened while I was out to dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by keithbishop
                        http://www.rockymountainnews.com/dr...4537157,00.html

".....Having entered free agency Friday night at about $90.2 million against the $102 million salary cap, the Broncos have significantly less room after re-signing defensive tackle Gerard Warren, running back Ron Dayne and tight end/long snapper Mike Leach over the weekend."

The 2006 cap values for Mike Leach, Ron Dayne, Nate Webster and Gerrard Warren total $4,780,000 . At the start of free agency, Denver had $11.8 mil. available.........leaving $7,020,000. Money needed for draft picks will have to be subtracted from that total.
                        The rookie pool is the number of draft picks X $275,000.
                        Plus, they'll have an additional 1 or 2 in compensatory picks.
                        "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                        tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                        men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Everyone pretty much nailed it right on the head. There is no way the Jets or Cardinals are going to take that. Sinorice Moss at number 41? Vick in the 4th? (although there is a chance, considering Shanahan took Clarett in the 3rd)

Comment

Working...
                          X