Keeping Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Perspective

I've seen post after post on this board in which people have been panicking.

I've seen people complain about overpaying Gerrard Warren and in the same breath (post) complaining that Denver hasn't competed with some of the big spenders for other players as the Redskins have. In other words, I've noticed people complain about Denver overpaying and then not overpaying. It just doesn't make sense.

People have been overreacting to nothing. And I mean nothing literally. Please don't complain when nothing happens within a week of free agency. And please don't blow things out of proportion. How many times have you seen teams spend big early in free agency only to not have the ability to have a shot at signing any of the guys released after June 1st or to not have a shot at any of the guys that haven't found any suitors and that get desperate and sign for much less than they wanted. The Broncos have not overreacted and the Broncos have not done poorly in free agency yet this year.

I can understand how some people would say that Denver overpaid for Warren. He did recieve a pretty big money contract, but they've done a good job of signing all of their many free agents like Matt Lepsis and Tom Nalen while helping themselves by restructuring Brown's contract. Couple that with the fact that they cut the contracts that were going to be less than cap friendly and to me it appears as though they've done a decent job.

When you see teams overpay for a guy, do you really sit there wishing the Broncos would take the same foolish tactic?? I sure hope not.

As teams like the Patriots have shown, the best strategy is to keep the guys that you can for a reasonable price and to build with good deals in free agency and through the draft along with the occasional splurge.

Compounding the problem are false reports that Denver doesn't have enough money to sign their draft choices.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Broncos trade back a bit in order to improve their future prospects, but Denver will not simply give up picks. If this happened, I'd be surprised as hell.

Now, I'm with all of you folks that want to add a top end prospect like T.O. or Abraham. Either of those players would improve our team immensly, but I would prefer that we not overpay either.

From what I've heard, both are asking too much. And the alternatives that we may have pursued were given huge contracts of their own.
    My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
    . Post Your Artwork .
    . . . . . . . . . . .

Great post!!! I agree, I trust Shannahan. Sometimes, I think we all get a little frustrated, probably more do to the fact that we (fans) are being kept out of the loop, so to speak. Shannahan ALWAYS has a plan, and his plans have been pretty generous to the Broncos faithful. I have no doubt he will put the best team possible (while still protecting the future) on the field in 06'.

Comment

Great post, for me the re-signing of Lepsis and Nalen really made the offseason, i thought we would go into the draft with a major O-Line problem but we managed to delay that for at least a few years, which is just enough time to develop some young guys. Overall i think we've done pretty well so far, the reports of no cap space to sign draft picks scare me but i havent seen any evidence to really say anything about our cap space. I've seen reports saying we have 4.5 million in space, I've seen reports of 12 million if anyone could post something definite i would be grateful. As long as we dont simply throw away this draft ill be happy with the offseason. This is one of the best drafts in awhile so trading our picks away may not be the smartest thing to do this year. However, i wouldnt really mind trading one of our first to a bad team (like the Jets) for their first next year so we can go after a top shelf WR like GT's Johnson or USC's Jarret.

Edit: Now edited for less chance of heart problems!!
      Last edited by DarKliger; 03-16-2006, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarKliger
        The resigning of Lepsis and Nalen really made the offseason for me, i thought we would go into the draft with a major O-Line problem but we managed to delay that for a few years, which is just enough time to develop some young guys. Overall i think we've done pretty well so far, the reports of no cap space to sign draft picks scare me but i havent seen any evidence to really say anything about our cap space. I've seen reports saying we have 4.5 million in space, I've seen reports of 12 million if anyone could post something definite i would be grateful. As long as we dont simply throw away this draft ill be happy with the offseason. This is one of the best drafts in awhile so trading our picks away may not be the smartest thing to do this year. However, i wouldnt really mind trading one of our first to a bad team (like the Jets) for their first next year so we can go after a top shelf WR like GT's Johnson or USC's Jarret.
        Please don't put the words resigning and Lepsis and Nalen together. Bout gave me a heart attack. Big difference between resigning and re-signing

Comment

Lots of posters are acting like Denver is the only team not making any moves. There is an article on Yahoo this morning about all the moves each team has or hasn't made.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...wire&type=lgns

AFC West:
          San Diego: S - Marlon McCree / 1 cut / 5 re-signed
          Kansas City: No Free Agent Signings / 4 cut / 1 re-signed
          Oakland: G - Toni Fonoti / 3 cut / 0 re-signed
          Denver: Lb - Nate Webster / 3 cut / 5 re-signed

Denver has actually been the most active club in the Afc west making 9 moves.

Playoff Teams:

Washington: FA 2 Wr, De, S, Te / 6 cut / 1 re-signed
          Carolina: FA C, 2 Dt's & S / 4 cut / 1 re-signed
          Cincinnatti: FA Qb, S / 1 cut / 1 re-signed
          New York Giants: FA 3 Cb, S / 3 cut / 0 re-signed

Jacksonville: FA T, Cb / 0 cut / 4 re-signed
          Tampa Bay: FA K / 3 cut / 4 re-signed
          Pittsburgh: FA 2 Fb, S / 3 cut / 5 re-signed
          Denver: FA Lb / 3 cut / 5 re-signed

Seattle: FA None / 2 cut / 3 re-signed
          New England: FA None / 4 cut / 4 re-signed
          Indianapolis: FA None / 3 cut / 6 re-signed
          Chicago: FA None / 0 cut / 1 re-signed

Washington, Carolina, Cincinnatti and the Giants have added players at positions that needed improvement. Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh and Denver have either added depth or replaced players lost to other teams. Seattle, New England, Indianapolis and Chicago haven't signed anyone. I know we all want to see a big name but right now Denver is pretty much right on course with most of last years other playoff teams.
          Last edited by CaseP; 03-16-2006, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Check your info

I don't think the Broncos signed Nate Wayne. I believe it was

# 52 Nate Webster
            Position: LB
            Height: 6-0
            Weight: 235
            Born: 11/29/1977
            College: Miami (Fla.)

He was with the Bengals for the last two years, but was injured for most of the time. Before that, he played with John Lynch on the Buc's Championship team. He is slotted to be a backup at MLB and OLB.
            Last edited by Colorado69; 03-16-2006, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Washington as an example

Its amazing that the Foreskins continue to throw money at their problems. Most of the playoff teams are selective and cautious about throwing money around. Of course the successful teams don't seem to have alot of extra money because they have applied the cap accurately and to its full extent. How many players would you have had to lose/cut to get $30 million under the cap? Cleveland and Washington seem to be the biggest early players. I'll bet that Washington is presently over the cap and will have to do some quick changes to return under the cap by the prescribed time. Cleveland has cleaned house over the last few years and has made some impressive pickups. They finally have a good staff and coach that can make some improvements on the field. Their division should be very competitive. The Browns owe the Steelers, Bengals, and Ravens for running up the score over the past few years. Cleveland has always been a good football city and was raped by Art Modell. I would love for the Broncos to play them in the AFC Championship game again. Maybe it would be Jake's coming out game and he could perform his own "drive".

Comment

I agree with this thread completely... all the complainers don't seem to realize that we played our hand in F/A before players were even released for the most part.

Just because we didn't go out and bring in 15 new guys (ala the 'Skins) doesn't mean we haven't played around in F/A, apparantly the team thought that signing our OWN players, was more important, and would help the team more.

Lepsis, Nalen, Dayne, Warren etc, all would be gone had the team not dealt with F/A. love it or hate it, that's how it is, and that's the way they apparantly wanted to spend their F/A $$$.

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

Originally posted by Archimedes Owl
                  I've seen post after post on this board in which people have been panicking.

I've seen people complain about overpaying Gerrard Warren and in the same breath (post) complaining that Denver hasn't competed with some of the big spenders for other players as the Redskins have. In other words, I've noticed people complain about Denver overpaying and then not overpaying. It just doesn't make sense.

People have been overreacting to nothing. And I mean nothing literally. Please don't complain when nothing happens within a week of free agency. And please don't blow things out of proportion. How many times have you seen teams spend big early in free agency only to not have the ability to have a shot at signing any of the guys released after June 1st or to not have a shot at any of the guys that haven't found any suitors and that get desperate and sign for much less than they wanted. The Broncos have not overreacted and the Broncos have not done poorly in free agency yet this year.

I can understand how some people would say that Denver overpaid for Warren. He did recieve a pretty big money contract, but they've done a good job of signing all of their many free agents like Matt Lepsis and Tom Nalen while helping themselves by restructuring Brown's contract. Couple that with the fact that they cut the contracts that were going to be less than cap friendly and to me it appears as though they've done a decent job.

When you see teams overpay for a guy, do you really sit there wishing the Broncos would take the same foolish tactic?? I sure hope not.

As teams like the Patriots have shown, the best strategy is to keep the guys that you can for a reasonable price and to build with good deals in free agency and through the draft along with the occasional splurge.

Compounding the problem are false reports that Denver doesn't have enough money to sign their draft choices.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Broncos trade back a bit in order to improve their future prospects, but Denver will not simply give up picks. If this happened, I'd be surprised as hell.

Now, I'm with all of you folks that want to add a top end prospect like T.O. or Abraham. Either of those players would improve our team immensly, but I would prefer that we not overpay either.

From what I've heard, both are asking too much. And the alternatives that we may have pursued were given huge contracts of their own.

Great post, Owl!

You must spread some Contributor Status around before giving it to Archimedes Owl again.

sigpic
                  They're your teammates, now.
                  Best of luck, TT!
                  ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by cadencesdad
                    probably more do to the fact that we (fans) are being kept out of the loop, so to speak. Shannahan ALWAYS has a plan

I couldn't agree with you more. So many posters on here seem to be under the impression our front office is doing nothing but sitting on their hands right now. But I highly doubt that's accurate. On the contrary, it wouldn't surprise me if Dove Valley during the F.A. period was busier than O'Hare Int'l on a Monday morning.

sigpic
                    They're your teammates, now.
                    Best of luck, TT!
                    ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Colorado69
                      The Browns owe the Steelers, Bengals, and Ravens for running up the score over the past few years. ... I would love for the Broncos to play them in the AFC Championship game again.
                      For both these examples I think Shakespeare said it best.

"And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
                      The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Lol, don't know where the heck I came up with Nate Wayne. Edited.

Comment

Originally posted by sbutk
                          Great post, Owl!

You must spread some Contributor Status around before giving it to Archimedes Owl again.

Ack, and I only need 4 more points to get my third bar.

Oh well.

Anyway, I've just been noticing a strange panic going through these forums lately. I've noticed people suggesting that we should fire one of the most successful coaches in the league today and want to add a single player that they think will guarantee a Superbowl victory.

People are suggesting that not adding any players will make our team weak and pathetic. People are forgetting that even if they didn't win the Superbowl, the Broncos were a damn good team last year that was coached well and improved immensly from the previous year and that even if we don't pick anybody up from free agency, we have plenty of draft picks that can help us improve our team for next year and for the long run.

They also forget that our competition has not improved. In fact, a lot of the teams that stand in our way towards winning the Superbowl have regressed a bit.

New England has lost Vinateri and McGinest.

Pittsburgh has lost Randel El and Hope.

Indy has lost James.

Overall, the Broncos haven't done worse than the other teams in the AFC of which they compete.

They also have not done worse than the other teams in the AFC West.

The Chargers have lost their starting QB.

The Chiefs have lost two cornerbacks (Neither was fantastic, but it certainly doesn't help them fill any holes.).

The Raiders...
                          My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
                          . Post Your Artwork .
                          . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X