• John Ralston

IMO John Ralston would have been a great G.M. but not a so hot
    head coach

:salute:

sig by Broncofancam may he REST IN PEACE

Thanks for the sig VULCAN
    R.I.P. Darrent :salute:R.I.P. Damien

Okay.

So . . . ummm . . . did you have a discussion to offer, or did you just want to make a statement?

-----

Comment

John Ralston

Built th team red miller took to the super bowl. over years of fantastic drafts,
      that included R.Gradishar L.Wright trades bringing vets like C.Johnson.

:salute:

sig by Broncofancam may he REST IN PEACE

Thanks for the sig VULCAN
      R.I.P. Darrent :salute:R.I.P. Damien

Comment

Well . . .

I have to agree. Ralston had a chance at GM when he was given the choice in 1976. He stayed at HC, opening up the opportunity for Fred Gehrke, who had been special-teams coach and director of player personnel. In essence, Ralston allowed Gehrke to leap-frog him, and now Gerhke was the boss (it isn't like today, where Shanny runs the ship). Ralston paid dearly for that non-move . . . .Gehrke fired him at the end of that season.

But you were right in that the squad Red Miller took to the Super Bowl composed talent that Ralston had put together.

Ralston should have taken the GM job.

-----

Comment

Suddenly I feel so young

No offense guys

Comment

Originally posted by Buff_bronc_fan
            Suddenly I feel so young

No offense guys

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe

-----
              Come on topscribe... The name "scribe" actually signifies some years of age... Normally years of experience, and with experience comes wisdom...
              So it is not so bad to have some years on you... At least that is what I keep telling myself.
              Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

Originally posted by broncos4ever
                Come on topscribe... The name "scribe" actually signifies some years of age... Normally years of experience, and with experience comes wisdom...
                So it is not so bad to have some years on you... At least that is what I keep telling myself.
                Hmmm . . .

Well, I got one-half of it, anyway.

The years.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by bronco bible
                  IMO John Ralston would have been a great G.M. but not a so hot
                  head coach
                  who is that?
                  and why should i care?

I WANT MORE MONEY!!!!

Comment

Ralston was the best drafting GM in our history.

First rounders:
                    Otis Armstong
                    Riley Odoms
                    Randy Gradishar
                    Louis WRight

All made the pro bowl...The only Rallston first rounder that wasan't a probowler was Tom Glassic.

Also, he drafted Rick Upchurch, Tom Jackson, Lyle Alzado, Steve Foley, Rubin Carter, Barney Chavous in later rounds as well as signing Bob Swenson, Joe Rizzo and Jack Dolbin as FAs.

Too bad he couldn't coach, to the point of the players literally revolted (led by Louie Wright?), causing the firing of Ralston...But he sure seemed to be able to judge talent, although rumors are his scouting dept. consitsted of a copy of Street and Smiths.
                    Last edited by lvbronx; 03-16-2006, 04:59 PM.

Comment

I personally thought he coached just fine...got us our first winning season-ever!
                      Oh, The Color of Orange! Ah!

Comment

Originally posted by YOUNGERJKSPEE
                        I personally thought he coached just fine...got us our first winning season-ever!
                        Unfortunately, the players <strongly> disagreed with your point of view. And not coincidently, as soon as Ralston was fired, Red Miller took them to the Superbowl the very next year.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx
                          Unfortunately, the players <strongly> disagreed with your point of view. And not coincidently, as soon as Ralston was fired, Red Miller took them to the Superbowl the very next year.
                          Maybe you're right. I think that Red Miller was solely motivational, a flash in the pan. Ralston was definitely better than Lou Saban IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx
                            Yes, Ralston was forced out mainly by the players. However, that didn't make Miller a particularly good coach. He was good in some respects, yes, but not everything the team needed. He was terrible with QBs, and he estranged Morton for the entire time they were together. The Reeves/Elway feud, frankly, wasn't any worse, except that Morton was a milder personality than was Elway. Anyway, Miller wasted Morton's talent horribly.

I will repeat: Denver went to the Super Bowl after the 1977 season with the personnel Ralston built. Any competent coach could have taken them there.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                              Yes, Ralston was forced out mainly by the players. However, that didn't make Miller a particularly good coach. He was good in some respects, yes, but not everything the team needed. He was terrible with QBs, and he estranged Morton for the entire time they were together. The Reeves/Elway feud, frankly, wasn't any worse, except that Morton was a milder personality than was Elway. Anyway, Miller wasted Morton's talent horribly.

I will repeat: Denver went to the Super Bowl after the 1977 season with the personnel Ralston built. Any competent coach could have taken them there.

-----
                              Well said, Top. I agree 100%!

Comment

Working...
                              X