John Ralston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by topscribe
    Yes, Ralston was forced out mainly by the players. However, that didn't make Miller a particularly good coach. He was good in some respects, yes, but not everything the team needed. He was terrible with QBs, and he estranged Morton for the entire time they were together. The Reeves/Elway feud, frankly, wasn't any worse, except that Morton was a milder personality than was Elway. Anyway, Miller wasted Morton's talent horribly.

I will repeat: Denver went to the Super Bowl after the 1977 season with the personnel Ralston built. Any competent coach could have taken them there.

-----

You don't need to repeat to me. Saying things over and over dosn't make them any more/less true. But if repeating things does matter, just to repeat, I also gave Ralston credit for being the best GM in our history. See above.

Let's not understate the facts. The players REVOLTED and were going to quit had Ralston not be fired. As far as I know, this is the only time in the hisotry of the NFL an entire team of players revolted against a coach.

Can you name a single other time the entire team threatened to quit because a coach was so bad? Just one? I'll wait for your answer.

And by your own statement, Ralston was incompetent, since he couldn't even get the team to the playoffs, let alone the Superbowl.

Sorry, but I'll take the entire team of players' opinions of Ralston's coaching, and feel Tom Jackson's, Lyle Alzado's, Louie Wright's and all the other Broncos opinions of Ralston as a coach to be more qualifed than anyone else...Including anyone posting on this forum.

BTW, while he did have the first winning seasons, Ralston's teams NEVER won more than half the games. He had records like 7-6-1, and 7-5-2 with all that talent, but never won 8 games out of 14. And Ralston couldn't take the team to the playoffs.

Not to mention, Miller's career record was 40-22. His problem was alcholism, not coaching. There aren't many coached with a better record than 40-22.

And to say Miller didn't handle Morton correctly is a joke. Morton was named AFC Offensive MVP (despite not playing in the probowl) under Miller after a career of failure in Dallas and NY...Funny, Miller got more out of Morton than Tom Landry ever did...Unless you think alternating Morton and Merideth was a better way to handle QBs than Miller's way.

But if you want to twist this into an debate over who was a better coach, Ralston or Miller, I'm pretty confident numbers, player opinions, as well as history will select Miller.

Comment

Correction to my post above: Ralston did go 9-5 his last year, before the revolt.

Ralston:
      9-5-0
      6-8-0
      7-6-1
      7-5-2
      5-9-0
      -------
      34-33-3

Miller:
      12-2-0
      10-6-0
      10-6-0
      8-8-0
      --------
      40-22

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx
        You don't need to repeat to me. Saying things over and over dosn't make them any more/less true. But if repeating things does matter, just to repeat, I also gave Ralston credit for being the best GM in our history. See above.

Let's not understate the facts. The players REVOLTED and were going to quit had Ralston not be fired. As far as I know, this is the only time in the hisotry of the NFL an entire team of players revolted against a coach.

Can you name a single other time the entire team threatened to quit because a coach was so bad? Just one? I'll wait for your answer.

And by your own statement, Ralston was incompetent, since he couldn't even get the team to the playoffs, let alone the Superbowl.

Sorry, but I'll take the entire team of players' opinions of Ralston's coaching, and feel Tom Jackson's, Lyle Alzado's, Louie Wright's and all the other Broncos opinions of Ralston as a coach to be more qualifed than anyone else...Including anyone posting on this forum.

BTW, while he did have the first winning seasons, Ralston's teams NEVER won more than half the games. He had records like 7-6-1, and 7-5-2 with all that talent, but never won 8 games out of 14. And Ralston couldn't take the team to the playoffs.

Not to mention, Miller's career record was 40-22. His problem was alcholism, not coaching. There aren't many coached with a better record than 40-22.

And to say Miller didn't handle Morton correctly is a joke. Morton was named AFC Offensive MVP (despite not playing in the probowl) under Miller after a career of failure in Dallas and NY...Funny, Miller got more out of Morton than Tom Landry ever did...Unless you think alternating Morton and Merideth was a better way to handle QBs than Miller's way.

But if you want to twist this into an debate over who was a better coach, Ralston or Miller, I'm pretty confident numbers, player opinions, as well as history will select Miller.
        What the hell are you talking about? You seem to be going off the deep end! What is the matter with you? You just spoiling for an argument tonight, or what? This is not like you . . . .at least what I've seen of you before. You okay?

It appears to me that I am agreeing with you more than disagreeing. Why are you making a debate out of this? Did I even once try to say one person was a better coach than the other? Did I even once deny there was a player's revolt? If you go back and check my post, you will see that I alluded to it myself.

I was simply giving my take on the situation back then, which happened as I watched as an adult in his 20s. I lived it more than most people on this board. If I got the wrong impression, at least I got an impression. Most of the others weren't even around yet. Maybe you were. Were you?

If you disagree with something I said, just say so. Maybe I just came across differently from what I intended. Or perhaps we just disagree. But don't commence with accusing me of twisting and the like. That tends to piss me off because I try to be as honest as I can with my comments. Check out the words beneath my screen name.

-----
        Last edited by topscribe; 03-16-2006, 09:33 PM.

Comment

John Ralston

John had A great nose for talent but couldnt coach a lick,IMO Saben set up the organiztion, Without that I dont think Ralston would have even had the sucess he had. It seems to me that Ralston had a one track mind.

:salute:

sig by Broncofancam may he REST IN PEACE

Thanks for the sig VULCAN
          R.I.P. Darrent :salute:R.I.P. Damien

Comment

Working...
          X