Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The annual are we changing to 3-4 thread.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The annual are we changing to 3-4 thread.

    So what do you guys think. Seems like we are adding more depth to our LB core then we are dline this year. And we went after Warren with big numbers who was probably the best 3-4 tackle available in FA.

    This is purly opinion here, but I think it could work. If we pick up another MLB to team with Wilson (rumors are suggesting an interest in Ray Lewis, pure rumors) it would be a very potent 3-4 lb core. We already know them to be the fastest LB core in the league. We have added that LB from Cincy, and worked hard to keep burns plus I believe green is still around. So that's good depth to run a 3-4.

    Now lets talk about dline. like I said we spent good money on Warren who is said to be an ideal tackle in a 3-4. Re-signed Engleberger, and kept the rest of the Browncos. We didn't go after any star dline men (yet, but theres only like 1 left, JA) so our rotation is thinner unless we run a 3-4.

    Now let me address that trade rumor about Lewis. The suggested rumor is Ray Lewis for one of our Oline men (either lepsis or foster). I believe so far Balt has lost 3 of their oline. It is now very thin and they will need someone. We produce some of the best offensive line men in the league. With Mike Anderson now in Balt he may be making a case for Foster or Lepsis as well. SO I believe the want and need in Balt for one of our oline is valid.

    Here is how I could see this work (please forgive me for not researching numbers, I have to look like I'm working =P). Ray Lewis for George Foster with maybe some late round picks involved. Some of you would naturaly think "What about our oline?". Here is my solution: San Francisco is in need or quality players to build on. They have the 6th pick which would almost guarentee us a shot at any Oline rookie available. We trade our two 1st rounders for their 6th overall pick (with maybe some late round pick involved). Not only could we get a stud like D'brick but we would in reality be saving money and equaly as important, cap space. I think it would cost less to sign one high 1rst round pick then 2 late first round picks.

    Okie, gotta get back to work. just keep in mind that I could really care less if this were to happen or not but it's something I've observed and find as an interesting subject to discuss.

    Cheers!
    sigpic

    Thank you for everything Darrent. I'll never forget #27.


  • #2
    You make alot of valid points, we're going to have to see... If we could bring in Lewis, draft a 3-4 DE... WOW -- our D would be straight amazing
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Astrass
      So what do you guys think. Seems like we are adding more depth to our LB core then we are dline this year. And we went after Warren with big numbers who was probably the best 3-4 tackle available in FA.

      This is purly opinion here, but I think it could work. If we pick up another MLB to team with Wilson (rumors are suggesting an interest in Ray Lewis, pure rumors) it would be a very potent 3-4 lb core. We already know them to be the fastest LB core in the league. We have added that LB from Cincy, and worked hard to keep burns plus I believe green is still around. So that's good depth to run a 3-4.

      Now lets talk about dline. like I said we spent good money on Warren who is said to be an ideal tackle in a 3-4. Re-signed Engleberger, and kept the rest of the Browncos. We didn't go after any star dline men (yet, but theres only like 1 left, JA) so our rotation is thinner unless we run a 3-4.

      Now let me address that trade rumor about Lewis. The suggested rumor is Ray Lewis for one of our Oline men (either lepsis or foster). I believe so far Balt has lost 3 of their oline. It is now very thin and they will need someone. We produce some of the best offensive line men in the league. With Mike Anderson now in Balt he may be making a case for Foster or Lepsis as well. SO I believe the want and need in Balt for one of our oline is valid.

      Here is how I could see this work (please forgive me for not researching numbers, I have to look like I'm working =P). Ray Lewis for George Foster with maybe some late round picks involved. Some of you would naturaly think "What about our oline?". Here is my solution: San Francisco is in need or quality players to build on. They have the 6th pick which would almost guarentee us a shot at any Oline rookie available. We trade our two 1st rounders for their 6th overall pick (with maybe some late round pick involved). Not only could we get a stud like D'brick but we would in reality be saving money and equaly as important, cap space. I think it would cost less to sign one high 1rst round pick then 2 late first round picks.

      Okie, gotta get back to work. just keep in mind that I could really care less if this were to happen or not but it's something I've observed and find as an interesting subject to discuss.

      Cheers!
      Very Very Very thought out process. I agree with you. I was a little confused but from what I understand I think your idea would work. I am a huge fan of 3-4 and if we picked up Ray Lewis our Linebacker core would be one to talk about for sure. It would for sure need a nickname because it would be dangerous, if not the mosyt dnagerous ever in the NFL...now that i think aboiut it I can imagine it.....Gold, Williams on the outside and Wilsion, Lewis in the middle....i would love to see the opposing team run up the middle..imagine a hit on LT ny both Wilson and Lewis at the same time can u say TKO...

      Sig by Snk16...Thanks

      I say grab T.O and while we are at it why not grab your-self a biscuit!?

      My NFL 2005 Regualar Season Predictions Results: 158-100 or 63%

      My NFL 2006 Playoff Predictions Results: 8-3


      My 2006 Draft Wish List:


      S. Holmes(DE)
      L. White(RB)
      J. Cutler(QB)

      Get me just 2 of 3 of those and I will be happy

      Comment


      • #4
        Well I'm just not seeing us getting Lewis and I really don't want him much. I like the 3-4 defense but I'd like us to keep being an athletic core. So I would like to get another fast LB as well. I want to be a speedy team. Personally I think if we do give up Foster and switch with Lewis we don't trade up but we let the backup fill in or sign a FA. I want to keep both picks.
        MMA News
        MMA News 247

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by champbronc2
          Well I'm just not seeing us getting Lewis and I really don't want him much. I like the 3-4 defense but I'd like us to keep being an athletic core. So I would like to get another fast LB as well. I want to be a speedy team. Personally I think if we do give up Foster and switch with Lewis we don't trade up but we let the backup fill in or sign a FA. I want to keep both picks.
          Like I said on my post above Lewis would be a great trade if we switch to a 3-4. and if we can pick up a DE like JA our d-line would be insanly dangerous. If we sign Lewis and JA then I could care less about signing T.O.

          Sig by Snk16...Thanks

          I say grab T.O and while we are at it why not grab your-self a biscuit!?

          My NFL 2005 Regualar Season Predictions Results: 158-100 or 63%

          My NFL 2006 Playoff Predictions Results: 8-3


          My 2006 Draft Wish List:


          S. Holmes(DE)
          L. White(RB)
          J. Cutler(QB)

          Get me just 2 of 3 of those and I will be happy

          Comment


          • #6
            I disagree. First off, we don't have the DE needed to play the scheme. Second, the success of our defense has been the ability of our LBs to flow to the ball. In a 3-4, they would be required to take on blocks from offensive lineman, whereas in a 4-3, the line takes up the blockers and allows the LBs to roam free to make the tackle. None of our LBs are extremely good at shedding blockers.
            My Broncomania Adopt-a-Bronco: Rod Smith

            Elway stops, loads up, throws deep down the middle of the field and Rod Smith's got it!

            America is like your team, and if your not gonna root for your team then get the hell outta the stadium.

            Madden Online Record 109-90 (7-3 L10)

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah Lewis is another story. People will say they don't want him on our team casue he's an accused murder or casue he's getting old ect. I understand those concerns. Fact is though he is a popular player and people like to watch him. not olny that but If he can still play his style would be an asset.

              Also, lets think about the pressure on Coyer. Many people on these boards have called for his head so if he doesn't do something really interesting and different I think he may not have a job in a couple years.
              sigpic

              Thank you for everything Darrent. I'll never forget #27.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Astrass
                Yeah Lewis is another story. People will say they don't want him on our team casue he's an accused murder or casue he's getting old ect. I understand those concerns. Fact is though he is a popular player and people like to watch him. not olny that but If he can still play his style would be an asset.

                Also, lets think about the pressure on Coyer. Many people on these boards have called for his head so if he doesn't do something really interesting and different I think he may not have a job in a couple years.
                It would take more work to switch to a 3-4 than it would to fix the current issues we have with the 4-3.

                3-4 solution would be to get a stud NT (not Warren, he didn't want to play it in Cleveland), get some cloggers at DE (aside from Brown, who else do we have? And no, John Abraham would not be a good fit as a 3-4 defensive end), and some DE/LB hybrids that can rush off the edge.

                4-3 Solution: Get an elite edge pass rusher through the draft or FA or trade.

                I think the 4-3 solution is better.
                My Broncomania Adopt-a-Bronco: Rod Smith

                Elway stops, loads up, throws deep down the middle of the field and Rod Smith's got it!

                America is like your team, and if your not gonna root for your team then get the hell outta the stadium.

                Madden Online Record 109-90 (7-3 L10)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BroncosB2B
                  It would take more work to switch to a 3-4 than it would to fix the current issues we have with the 4-3.

                  3-4 solution would be to get a stud NT (not Warren, he didn't want to play it in Cleveland), get some cloggers at DE (aside from Brown, who else do we have? And no, John Abraham would not be a good fit as a 3-4 defensive end), and some DE/LB hybrids that can rush off the edge.

                  4-3 Solution: Get an elite edge pass rusher through the draft or FA or trade.

                  I think the 4-3 solution is better.
                  This is also true
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BroncosB2B
                    It would take more work to switch to a 3-4 than it would to fix the current issues we have with the 4-3.

                    3-4 solution would be to get a stud NT (not Warren, he didn't want to play it in Cleveland), get some cloggers at DE (aside from Brown, who else do we have? And no, John Abraham would not be a good fit as a 3-4 defensive end), and some DE/LB hybrids that can rush off the edge.

                    4-3 Solution: Get an elite edge pass rusher through the draft or FA or trade.

                    I think the 4-3 solution is better.
                    Very very good point

                    Sig by Snk16...Thanks

                    I say grab T.O and while we are at it why not grab your-self a biscuit!?

                    My NFL 2005 Regualar Season Predictions Results: 158-100 or 63%

                    My NFL 2006 Playoff Predictions Results: 8-3


                    My 2006 Draft Wish List:


                    S. Holmes(DE)
                    L. White(RB)
                    J. Cutler(QB)

                    Get me just 2 of 3 of those and I will be happy

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BroncosB2B
                      I disagree. First off, we don't have the DE needed to play the scheme. Second, the success of our defense has been the ability of our LBs to flow to the ball. In a 3-4, they would be required to take on blocks from offensive lineman, whereas in a 4-3, the line takes up the blockers and allows the LBs to roam free to make the tackle. None of our LBs are extremely good at shedding blockers.

                      Good point. I think one of the main problems with our scheme last season was that we had to have Lynch blitz all the time and our coverage would then get burned. I think that some how having a 3-4 would give lynch more freedom to cover while our LB's put the pressure on.

                      For some reason I feel like D.J. - Brown - Warren - Ekuban - Gold can get better pressure on blockers / QB then we had last year with our dline at 4-3. That leaves Lynch out to cover with the rest of our DB's and still 2 LB to stuff runs / cover.
                      sigpic

                      Thank you for everything Darrent. I'll never forget #27.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Astrass
                        Good point. I think one of the main problems with our scheme last season was that we had to have Lynch blitz all the time and our coverage would then get burned. I think that some how having a 3-4 would give lynch more freedom to cover while our LB's put the pressure on.

                        For some reason I feel like D.J. - Brown - Warren - Ekuban - Gold can get better pressure on blockers / QB then we had last year with our dline at 4-3. That leaves Lynch out to cover with the rest of our DB's and still 2 LB to stuff runs / cover.
                        Lynch is a liability in coverage
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
                          Lynch is a liability in coverage
                          Well yeah but he's better then no one which was the case in many bad plays for us. If he's forced to blitz as much as he did last year a smart QB will exploit that.
                          sigpic

                          Thank you for everything Darrent. I'll never forget #27.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Astrass
                            Good point. I think one of the main problems with our scheme last season was that we had to have Lynch blitz all the time and our coverage would then get burned. I think that some how having a 3-4 would give lynch more freedom to cover while our LB's put the pressure on.

                            For some reason I feel like D.J. - Brown - Warren - Ekuban - Gold can get better pressure on blockers / QB then we had last year with our dline at 4-3. That leaves Lynch out to cover with the rest of our DB's and still 2 LB to stuff runs / cover.
                            You made the point that we need more pressure on the quarterback. That was the problem last year. But I again say that we don't have the personnel to play the 3-4.

                            The reason we had Lynch blitz all the time was because the front four could not get any pressure by themselves. We were stuck playing zero coverages (no safeties deep) because the only way we could create pressure was to blitz everyone. If the blitz failed, most of the time the offense was picking up yards.

                            The scheme we played last year was the only scheme we could play to be successful. Once it was stopped, the defense was screwed because of the zero coverage schemes.

                            The easier solution, in my opinion, would be to get a pure pass rusher and stay in the 4-3. I think that would help increase the pressure on the QB and allow the defense to play a more Cover 2 type defense that has been so succesful recently.
                            My Broncomania Adopt-a-Bronco: Rod Smith

                            Elway stops, loads up, throws deep down the middle of the field and Rod Smith's got it!

                            America is like your team, and if your not gonna root for your team then get the hell outta the stadium.

                            Madden Online Record 109-90 (7-3 L10)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              So does the addition of Lang, a DE/ 3-4 LB change anything? He played DE all his career I believe but as of last year has some experience as a 3-4 LB.
                              sigpic

                              Thank you for everything Darrent. I'll never forget #27.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X