Floyd Little

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Little

I saw Floyd on tv one day when I got home from work.
    He and his family were on family feud me and my wife both said at the same time,
    FLOYD LITTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!He went on to tell the host (Al from tool time)that he used to be a running back for the Denver Broncos, the host did not seem that interested. But ive been a little long winded I just wanted to tell you all I saw Floyd. By the way he is living in seattle now.
    Last edited by bronco bible; 03-24-2006, 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling

:salute:

sig by Broncofancam may he REST IN PEACE

Thanks for the sig VULCAN
    R.I.P. Darrent :salute:R.I.P. Damien

After all these years I still wish he would have had some offensive help. He played well and he played the game full tilt, but had the defense not been able to key on him every play he could have been so much better.

Comment

Originally posted by bronco bible
      I saw Floyd on tv one day when I got home from work.
      He and his family were on family feud me and my wife both said at the same time,
      FLOYD LITTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!He went on to tell the host (Al from tool time)that he used to be a running back for the Denver Broncos, the host did not seem that interested. But ive been a little long winded I just wanted to tell you all I saw Floyd. By the way he is living in seattle now.

That's cool, wish I had seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean
        After all these years I still wish he would have had some offensive help. He played well and he played the game full tilt, but had the defense not been able to key on him every play he could have been so much better.
        How true-I remember reading a quote by someone (it escapes me at the moment who it was), but they said "some of Floyd's best runs were just to get back to the line of scrimmage"! He was a LITTLE (no pun intended!) before my time, but I do remember watching his last home game vs. the Eagles (since they are the local team here) in 1975 when he took a little swing pass for a 66-yard TD.

Comment

Originally posted by East Coast Fan
          How true-I remember reading a quote by someone (it escapes me at the moment who it was), but they said "some of Floyd's best runs were just to get back to the line of scrimmage"! He was a LITTLE (no pun intended!) before my time, but I do remember watching his last home game vs. the Eagles (since they are the local team here) in 1975 when he took a little swing pass for a 66-yard TD.
          This could be me (or not), as I often say that I remember plenty of Floyd's runs where he'd fake one guy out, run over another, then drag the third guy 4 yards, just to get back to the line of scrimage.

We need to remember Floyd joined a team that had a game the year before where they didn't gain a single first down, none by rush, none by pass, none by penalty. That's pretty hard to do and shows just how weak the O was when Floyd joined the team...Not to mention that ZERO first downs is a record that will NEVER be broken.

Floyd had the same college coach as Jim Brown and Ernie Nevers, and the coach said Floyd Little was the best football player he ever coached, to give Floyd a "little" (pun intended) perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx
            This could be me (or not), as I often say that I remember plenty of Floyd's runs where he'd fake one guy out, run over another, then drag the third guy 4 yards, just to get back to the line of scrimage.

We need to remember Floyd joined a team that had a game the year before where they didn't gain a single first down, none by rush, none by pass, none by penalty. That's pretty hard to do and shows just how weak the O was when Floyd joined the team...Not to mention that ZERO first downs is a record that will NEVER be broken.

Floyd had the same college coach as Jim Brown and Ernie Nevers, and the coach said Floyd Little was the best football player he ever coached, to give Floyd a "little" (pun intended) perspective.
            Here is a sample of what I had the joy to watch live for Little's years with the Broncos (retrieved from here):

Denver Bronco quarterback Steve Tensi barked signals in the crisp October air as the Houston Oiler defense jumped around trying to anticipate where the play would unfold. Suddenly the ball was snapped, and two lines of massive men collided with a crack as loud as a rifle shot.

Tensi whirled and handed off to a short, chunky, bowlegged back with number 44 emblazoned in brilliant orange across his uniform. Displaying instant acceleration, the trademark of all great runners, the little running back darted through a tiny hole opened by his blockers and shot into the Oilers' secondary.Little runs against the Buffalo Bills.

One of the great moments of pro football was taking place. Floyd Little had the ball in an open field.

An Oiler linebacker dove at Little. Displaying another natural skill found in all great runners, the Bronco back spotted the defender out of the corner of his eye and skittered crablike out of reach, leaving the Oiler linebacker with nothing but a faceful of dirt.

Little roared upfield, the target of a converging mass of tacklers. He sped straight at one of them, faked with his head and shoulders, and left the man frozen on the spot.

Another tackler lunged at Little and got a tenuous hold on the 5-foot-10, 195-pound back - but not for long. Little spun in a full circle, ripped free and sped off in a different direction. Looking clumsy next to Little's balletlike turns and twists, the Houston defensive unit lumbered after him.

A fleet safety hurled himself in a flying cross body block in an attempt to knock the Bronco ball-carrier off his feet. Little was hit hard, but instead of going down, he simply bounced a few feet sideways and continued running. By this time, there were bodies strewn all over the field as one by one the blockers and tacklers were knocked down or collapsed in exhaustion. But Floyd Little danced on.

Finally, a Houston defender grabbed him by one leg and held on. Floyd dragged him several yards before the rest of the posse arrived. Then the little Bronco and the big Oilers collapsed in one dusty heap. The play had gained a total of 35 yards, but to get it Little had zigzagged at least a hundred.

Sounds like something you might expect from, say, Barry Sanders, doesn't it?

-----
            Last edited by topscribe; 03-24-2006, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx
              Not true! That game only went 60 minutes. It is possible to lose in overtime without a first down which would beat that record.

Floyd was awesome to watch. He'd be in the HOF if he'd had any help.

So, did the Little family win?

Comment

[QUOTE=topscribe]Here is a sample of what I had the joy to watch live for Little's years with the Broncos (retrieved from here):

You are right top - he was one of the BEST. I loved watching him play, and I love it when he recalls when Saban fired him. One of my favorite Bronco items is a portrait that I bought years ago of Floyd from the Channel 6 auction. He is not in his Bronco uniform, but a suit.

Thanks to Bronco4Life and Medford Bronco for signature

Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) and Damien (29

Comment

Originally posted by SkyFlash1
                  Not true! That game only went 60 minutes. It is possible to lose in overtime without a first down which would beat that record.
                  BS!!! I'm not sure where you got your math degree, but zero = zero in all my books. Andd despite how long a game goes, no one will ever have less than 0 first downs.

When you come up with a way to have -1 first downs, get back to me. Until then, quit wasting everyone's time, especially mine.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyFlash1

Floyd was awesome to watch. He'd be in the HOF if he'd had any help.

So, did the Little family win?

If my memory serves me correctly they lost, but it was nice to see Floyd.

:salute:

sig by Broncofancam may he REST IN PEACE

Thanks for the sig VULCAN
                    R.I.P. Darrent :salute:R.I.P. Damien

Comment

Working...
                    X