Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

David Terrell -- Getting praise from Shanny... What did I tell you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Terrell -- Getting praise from Shanny... What did I tell you?

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos' offseason workouts don't begin until April. David Terrell's commenced much earlier than that, and earlier this month, he couldn't wait to call his employers to let them know what he was doing.

"He called on the phone and said, 'Hey, I'm out here in California working, I'm running stairs, and I'm excited about being back,'" General Manager Ted Sundquist said.

It is almost as though Terrell's career is starting anew in 2006. He spent last year with the Broncos and only got off the bench once, playing late in the regular-season finale at San Diego, where he didn't manage a reception and was the intended target on one Bradlee Van Pelt pass that fell incomplete.

For Terrell, that was the extent of his season -- aside from the work in practice that followed the team's decision to sign him prior to Week 1.

"He's a veteran, he came in here, missed all of training camp, was basically a practice player and never said 'Boo' about it," Sundquist said.

The one thing that Terrell gained at Dove Valley last season was stability to grow, something he had lacked since joining the NFL as a first-round pick of the Chicago Bears in 2001. While Terrell started 29 games in Chicago and caught 128 passes for 1,602 yards, he and his teammates had to deal with constant change at quarterback, as the Bears went through nine different quarterbacks in four years.

"I never had (stability at quarterback)," Terrell said during the 2005 season. "For me to play receiver -- I can't sit down and tell you who my quarterback was."

Even the most talented first-round receiver would be apt to struggle with a complete absence of continuity at quarterback. Give him a more consistent situation like the one that exists in Denver -- where the offense has 10 of 11 starters from the previous seasons set to return -- and the ingredients could be there for Terrell to ascend to the team's No. 3 wideout slot.

"(Terrell is) a former first rounder with the potential to be a No. 3," Sundquist said. "I am pushing David Terrell hard. Has he reached the level that he was projected to reach coming out? No. But that doesn't take away from the talent aspect of it. The guy's a talented guy."

Talented -- and part of the Broncos' plan for building depth at wide receiver, thanks to the confidence he has engendered.

"We see David on a daily basis," Sundquist said. "The media doesn't, the fans don't, but we see David on a daily basis and we see what he can do. He's a guy everybody had very high."

Added Head Coach Mike Shanahan: "David's got a chance to be an excellent receiver and we'll get a chance to work with him in the offseason and we'll find out what he does once he gets to the preseason games, but he does have a lot of talent."

Talent that the Broncos hope will lead to on-field production in Terrell's sixth NFL season.

-------------------

It's on the homepage...

I said it before and I'll say it again... Why get a first round receiver when we can get an aging veteran who will help contribute, while we have three guys in Watts, Terrell, and Devoe who could be AMAZING? Just sounds crazy to me.

From a Michigan fan to the Michigan boy... DT is the man!
    sigpic

he's still not a thousand yard reciever
    the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

Originally posted by tpryce93
      We don't need a 1,000 yard receiver, we have 1,600 yard RBs...

And even if we did need a 1,000 yard receiver, wasn't it Ashley Lelie who caught for 1,054 yards 2 seasons ago? Hmmm... Excatly
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tpryce93
        How do you know? You haven't seen him in the Denver offense.

That's what this is all about.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
          How do you know? You haven't seen him in the Denver offense.

That's what this is all about.

-----
          I agree with top!!! I think if David gets his fair shot watch out he could be the break away player we need out there! Watch you may be surprised!!!!
          sigpic

Comment

damn, between david terrell, wesley duke and corey jackson, we are so stacked with young talent we shouldn't even bother to draft anyone this year. . .

OK, just foolin' around-- i want these guys to blow up as much as anyone else does. . . but i won't hold my breath!
            Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

He's on the Broncos team. I wish him the best. I hope he can put up great numbers for us. Here is to D.T. performing well for Denver this season.
              Emancipate your mind!
              The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
                damn, between david terrell, wesley duke and corey jackson, we are so stacked with young talent we shouldn't even bother to draft anyone this year. . .

Well if they don't make it we will use Watts, Jackson, and Lang. So many possibilities. At least we have players for depth who may be able to do the job. Time will tell.

Comment

Wow this article makes you think. COuld he have a great year? Extremely hard worker from what i've heard. I believe he's going to do something big but not sure what.
                  MMA News
                  MMA News 247

Comment

Originally posted by ReleaseTheBeast7
                    We don't need a 1,000 yard receiver, we have 1,600 yard RBs...

And even if we did need a 1,000 yard receiver, wasn't it Ashley Lelie who caught for 1,054 yards 2 seasons ago? Hmmm... Excatly
                    Lelie is the WORST 1K WR in the league. He's as one dimensional as they come.

Comment

"(Terrell is) a former first rounder with the potential to be a No. 3," Sundquist said.

Whoa there guy, dont set the bar too high. Potential to be a #3, WOW!!!. I hope thats a conservative analysis, with a little luck he can be better than just that. But at the least I do hope he locks up the 4rd WR spot, and gives us more contribution that our 3rd usually does.

Comment

We all have been somewhat frustrated with our approach to Free Agency. The Bronco staff is obviouslycomfortable with some of our lesser known players. Terrell is a good example of why we haven't been reaching for players. I hope guys like Terrell, Brandon Browner, and Corey Jackson meet and exceed expectations.

Comment

I'm actually hoping this means we wont take Chad Jackson in the first round.
                          You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Terrell has the ability to be a great receiver. Just seems he had a bad start in Chicago with a poor offense and injuries seemed to hamper his career. The guy is a big target, could be useful in the redzone.

sigpic

Sig made by me. Click top sig to view my Graphics Portfolio.

There are three things you can expect in life:

1. Death
                            2. Taxes
                            3. The Ball Being Picked Off by Champ Bailey

Comment

I like Terrell and I haven't given up on Watts either. The last I saw of him was in the preaseason game where he tore it up with a bit of confidence. I'd like to see either of these guys step it up. Maybe even replace Lelie.

Comment

Working...
                              X