What's wrong with RB by committee??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with RB by committee??

I don't understand why people are so opposed to RB by committee.

I mean, last year Denver had the second most rushing yards per game behind the team with, perhaps, the best running quarterback of all time.

Only one other team had more yards per carry as a team.

In other words, if you discount Micheal Vick, Denver had the statistically best rushing attack in the league despite not having a single elite back.

This was a huge upgrade over 2004 when we had a pretty talented number one back that took the bulk of the carries.

The running back by committee approach has several advantages. One is that it makes it difficult for teams to gameplan for the back. Another is that it keeps both backs fresher and causes the defenses to tire more quickly.

The guys that will be starting for us next year had pretty good years last year. Tatum Bell nearly gained 1000 yards despite not starting and averaged 5.3 yards per carry. Dayne gained 250+ yards in very limited appearances and averaged 5.1 yards per carry.

If we can duplicate the success of last year, I don't think that the running back by committee approach could be considered a mistake.

Now, that isn't to say that I wouldn't mind finding a fantastic running back that could do it all and was impossible to gameplan for, but as it stands, we are in good shape at the position.

If somebody that the coaching staff saw as a fantastic talent fell to us in the draft, I wouldn't say that we should pass on him, but we don't need an every down back.
    My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
    . Post Your Artwork .
    . . . . . . . . . . .

I agree 100%, there is no need for LenDale, Maroney, or DeAngelo when we can adress other problems in the draft.
    sigpic

Broncs All the Way Baby!

Comment

look at how our rushing game has been in the playoffs to see the problem with running game by committee
      sigpic

Comment

Whos cares if we draft one of those runningbacks its not like they won't be able to RB by commitee. I think it would be a lot better having one of those guys while also switching in the other backs.
        Darrent Williams #27 R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by HidEmu
          look at how our rushing game has been in the playoffs to see the problem with running game by committee
          We played the steelers, I believe they were #3 in rush defense.

I also believe we passed more that game because we were behind.
          sigpic

Broncs All the Way Baby!

Comment

Oh you mean 5 YPC by Anderson before we fell behind?

6 carries for 30 yards.
            "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

there is nothing wrong with it.

After watching that video in the T.B. thread I am convinced Dayne and Bell can be a superb combo. The Marine did a great job starting last year and Dayne has big shoes to fill so we'll see if he's hungry enough to snag this oppurtunity. Training camp will be fun this year.

Comment

RBC only works if you have the right rb in the system. We worked well becuase of the different running styles of Bell & Ma. I would still prefer to have a single go to guy and a quality back up like the TD & CP days, but our running game was pretty formidable last year.
                The Game Day Thread: Year 16 in progress!!! sigpic

Comment

honestly i have no problems with Rb by comiitee as u put it, its jus that last year we had mike anderson, who cares what dayne did in college, that dosnt mean anything, look at courtney brown he was good enfu to go first overall after his collge days and what has he done since then? (im nto bashing brown im jus pointing out that college is different then the nfl and that theirs a lot of players that never live up to their potential like ron dayne, and also vince young who is really gonna suck imo) we need someone who can carry the ball and wear teh defense down and ive said like 4 times today but im gonna say it again,

RON DAYNE WILL NOT LIVE UP TO ANY OF THE EXPECTATIONS HELD BY THE BRONCO HOPEFULL
                  go broncos

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_fan88
                    honestly i have no problems with Rb by comiitee as u put it, its jus that last year we had mike anderson, who cares what dayne did in college, that dosnt mean anything, look at courtney brown he was good enfu to go first overall after his collge days and what has he done since then? (im nto bashing brown im jus pointing out that college is different then the nfl and that theirs a lot of players that never live up to their potential like ron dayne, and also vince young who is really gonna suck imo) we need someone who can carry the ball and wear teh defense down and ive said like 4 times today but im gonna say it again,

RON DAYNE WILL NOT LIVE UP TO ANY OF THE EXPECTATIONS HELD BY THE BRONCO HOPEFULL
                    Dayne seemed to come through, when HE WAS GIVEN THE OPPURTUNITY.

Dayne and MA seem like the same style runners to me IMO.
                    sigpic

Broncs All the Way Baby!

Comment

Hmmm....

Well, the Patriots did a fantastic job of shutting our running game down. After all, we averaged only 3.0 yards per carry against them and only gained 96 yards total on them.

Still, New England had a fantastic run defense. They allowed only 3.6 yards per carry which is pretty good, but since week 10 when they were fully healthy, they allowed only 3.2 yards per carry which was easily the best average over that span.

The Broncos averaged 4.6 yards per carry on 21 rushes against Pittsburgh. That's a pretty good average considering that Pittsburgh actually led the league for the year in the lowest yards per carry allowed of 3.4. Denver was able to run on Pittsburgh's good run defense. That wasn't Denver's problem. Denver's problem was that they got behind by too much to be able to rely on their running game. They had to rely on a passing game against one of the best defenses in the league.

The reason that we didn't beat Pittsburgh had little if anything to do with us not having an elite running back. I mean, heck, we held Pittsburgh to only 2.7 yards per carry and they were able to beat us. They only averaged 3.7 yards per carry over the course of the playoffs despite facing two weak rushing defenses in Indy and Cincy.

I don't buy the argument that Denver's running game failed them. It just doesn't hold water.

. . . . . . . . . . .
                      . Post Your Artwork .
                      . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

we lost to pittsburgh becuz of a certain player (who i wont name cuz i dont want this to turn in a thread bashing any person and i dont want everyone whining about how all i do is bash that certain person) causing 4 turnovers.
                        thats why we lost
                        go broncos

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_fan88
                          we lost to pittsburgh becuz of a certain player (who i wont name cuz i dont want this to turn in a thread bashing any person and i dont want everyone whining about how all i do is bash that certain person) causing 4 turnovers.
                          thats why we lost
                          That's an oversimplified view if I've ever seen one. I mean, those four turnovers sure didn't help, but our defense being unable to stop Pittsburgh on third and long played just as big a role.

Besides that, I don't know if I really blame Plummer for each of those turnovers.

I mean, the first fumble was probably his fault, but he did get hit from behind and was more a good play by the defense than a bad mistake by Plummer.

The first pick was simply an error by Plummer who was pushing to get some points on the board before the half. I wish he hadn't done it, but he did and nothing can be said about that one except that he blew it on that play.

The second pick came late in the game where Plummer was clearly taking necessary risks and pushing hard to make the improbable comeback a reality. Not saying that he didn't make an error, but to not be taking some chances at that point would have been a mistake. Sometimes one has to gamble to have a chance and that's what Plummer did.

As for the second fumble, that was on a fourth down where if he was just sacked, it would have been a turnover anyway. That fumbles was a bit of an afterthought.

Anyway, Plummer did contribute to the loss, but it was by no means his fault.

. . . . . . . . . . .
                          . Post Your Artwork .
                          . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

A potential game-changing interception that bounced off of Bailey's helmet didn't help much either. That was an easy 6 and would have completely changed the landscape of that game.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry1977
                              A potential game-changing interception that bounced off of Bailey's helmet didn't help much either. That was an easy 6 and would have completely changed the landscape of that game.

yeah, but it's so much EASIER to just blame jake-- saves people the struggle of actually thinking! we live in a society ruled by convenience. . .
                              Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Working...
                              X