What's wrong with RB by committee??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dogfish
    honestly-- no offense at all intended here, but i just can't see any scenario with us getting reggie bush as even slightly realistic. . . shanny has never even spent one 1st round pick on a RB, let alone two! i do think he could break tradition this year and take a RB in the first round, but even that would be a serious detour from his standard MO. . .

and personally-- i think reggie bush is way over-hyped by fans. now, no doubt he's a very talented player-- i see him as an almost exact replica of marshall faulk. . . but to my way of thinking RBs don't have a very good life expectancy in this league, i wouldn't dream of giving up two 1st rounders for any RB, especially considering we led the league in production by RBs last year. . .

so yeah, he'll be a dynamic playmaker-- but we don't need him, we've got half a dozen holes that need more attention, and if we trade our whole draft to chase a dream, we got no picks left to fill those holes! let alone if we were to create more by trading current players. . .

so again, totally no offense intended-- i know it's nice to fantasize about those big names-- but don't get too excited about reggie, there's a zero percent chance of him ever playing here. . . i would say start getting cozy with the idea of someone like chad jackson-- i don't really like it much myself, but it's more than likely the reality of the situation. . . we'll find out for sure in april!

Your 100 percent correct about Mikey wasting a single # 1 let alone TWO on a RB

Comment

Originally posted by evolaerok
      Here's my question. Runningback by committee was successful for us last season, but how long will it work? I mean there was a large span at the end of the season when our runningbacks couldn't run for anything.
      Yeah I agree with you there. It seemed that during and after the Ravens game, neither back was stellar. It just seemed like when we needed a crucial 2-3 yard run, we just couldn't get it, which in turn rendered the playaction useless. I like one back because you get a rhythm in the running game. With one guy getting 20-25 carries and another getting 5-8 carries, to me seems like a better situation then splitting the carries more evenly. At the Fan Fare last summer, Bobby Turner himself said that he did not care for the RBBC approach. To me that sounds like neither was solidifying himself as the #1 guy. So hopefully the Broncos can rectify that this season with a back currently on the roster or a drafted guy earning #1 status.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51
        Yeah I agree with you there. It seemed that during and after the Ravens game, neither back was stellar. It just seemed like when we needed a crucial 2-3 yard run, we just couldn't get it, which in turn rendered the playaction useless. I like one back because you get a rhythm in the running game. With one guy getting 20-25 carries and another getting 5-8 carries, to me seems like a better situation then splitting the carries more evenly. At the Fan Fare last summer, Bobby Turner himself said that he did not care for the RBBC approach. To me that sounds like neither was solidifying himself as the #1 guy. So hopefully the Broncos can rectify that this season with a back currently on the roster or a drafted guy earning #1 status.
        I think it is more like MA did not have the speed to go outside nor take it to the house and tater well if you could not drive a semi through the hole and some one touched him he was down.

So give me a balance between the two and you have a stud buffalo.

You got someone on the field that the defense can't cheat on. MA does not go outside and tater does. Where are you gonna defend each of them.

Now I know that MA did on occasion drift out side and tater did try to hit the middle of the line, but neither were great at it.

Tater caught so few passes last year and even fewer the year before, they did not have to worry about him getting one in the flat.

It is called tendencies and with the two of them everyone in the stadium knew where they were gonna go.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhampton
          I think it is more like MA did not have the speed to go outside nor take it to the house and tater well if you could not drive a semi through the hole and some one touched him he was down.

You got someone on the field that the defense can't cheat on. MA does not go outside and tater does. Where are you gonna defend each of them.

Now I know that MA did on occasion drift out side and tater did try to hit the middle of the line, but neither were great at it.

Tater caught so few passes last year and even fewer the year before, they did not have to worry about him getting one in the flat.

It is called tendencies and with the two of them everyone in the stadium knew where they were gonna go.
          Although he did not have Tater's speed, I'm not sure MA lacked football speed all that much. He didn't look slow during that 93-yard run nor that 80-yard screen pass this last year. They did occasionally send him to the outside on a pitch, but not enough, IMO. Moreover, I wonder whether they should have run MA just a little more and Tater a little less.

I believe they just committed a grievous all-around blunder with MA throughout his career. Here we had a RB with 1,487 yards in his rookie year and 1,014 yards in his last year with us at age 32 . . . while splitting time with Tater. In between, we had this kind of runner positioned at FULLBACK, while we were passing up tons of talent at other positions, just so we could get Portis and Tater.

To me, this was the most asinine set of moves since the drafting of Bobby Anderson instead of an offensive lineman to help Floyd Little, who was still here and in his prime.

Just to get a load of how we wasted MA's talent, TD did not match MA's ROOKIE yardage until his (TD's) SECOND year, and MA STILL had a better YPA (5.0 ) than did TD (4.5). Moreover, TD still had Zimmerman and Schlereth blocking for him and Elway as his QB.

Maybe we need a RBC now, but I'm not sure we did before.

-----
          Last edited by topscribe; 03-26-2006, 05:20 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

I hope you realize Jr that Anderson and Bell each had 18 receptions this past season. Also you know that Bell didn't see action last year until about the midway point his rookie season. So it stands to reasons that he wouldn't have many receptions.
            Last edited by TXBRONC; 03-26-2006, 05:55 PM.
            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Everyone knew where they...

...were going to go except KC, but the point is great. Finding the middle ground back that has the talent to chose where to take it to with the speed and the power all wrapped up into one player... It's had to find, but we'll keep plugging them in until we find that one that can carry like TD did. I'll take it either way. The Broncos running game is admired throught the league and the media and is something that we should be proud of. It leads a team to victory more often than not. Other teams fear any running back that we take (other than Clarett of course). Whether we take an elite back in the draft and use them as a part of RBBC, leave the committee as many see it now or take the elite back and put it in his hands, I don't know... but I do think that no matter what direction we go, our running game is, was, and will be find. It is responsible for wins for the Broncos and that's all that matters really...Go Broncos!
              Last edited by KS-BroncoGirl; 03-26-2006, 05:25 PM. Reason: duplicate words
              Be jealous haters...I am the #1 Broncos fan no matter what your car tag says

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                Although he did not have Tater's speed, I'm not sure MA lacked football speed all that much. He didn't look slow during that 93-yard run nor that 80-yard screen pass this last year. They did occasionally send him to the outside on a pitch, but not enough, IMO. Moreover, I wonder whether they should have run MA just a little more and Tater a little less.

I believe they just committed a grievous all-around blunder with MA throughout his career. Here we had a RB with 1,487 yards in his rookie year and 1,014 yards in his last year with us at age 32 . . . while splitting time with Tater. In between, we had this kind of runner positioned at FULLBACK, while we were passing up tons of talent at other positions, just so we could get Portis and Tater.

To me, this was the most asinine set of moves since the drafting of Bobby Anderson instead of an offensive lineman to help Floyd Little, who was still here and in his prime.

Just to get a load of how we wasted MA's talent, TD did not match MA's ROOKIE yardage until his (TD's) SECOND year, and MA STILL had a better YPA (5.0 ) than did TD (4.5). Moreover, TD still had Zimmerman and Schlereth blocking for him and Elway as his QB.

Maybe we need a RBC now, but I'm not sure we did before.

-----

water under the bridge, in any case. . . good post whether i agree with it or not-- it's tough for me to be very critical of shanny on this particular topic considering the results we've gotten. . . portis was a great value pick and has become a FAR better runner and more complete player than t j duckett, william green, or deshaun foster, all of whom were taken ahead of him. . .

and tater, despite his limitations, has been a very valuable player for us-- he averaged a full ypc better than MA, and scored 8 TDs to MA's 12 on significantly fewer carries. . . and don't forget, you need two good backs when you depend on the run as much as we do-- you never know when one of them will go down, and you need a reliable second option. . . besides, if we hadn't drafted portis and turned him into a star, we wouldn't have champ now! considering our unique success at the position, maybe we should always draft RBs and trade them?

this may be the ONLY time you hear me actually defend shanny's drafting, but WTH!!

Last edited by dogfish; 03-26-2006, 06:02 PM.
                Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                  I hope you realize Jr that Anderson and Bell each had 18 receptions this past season. Also you know that Bell didn't see action last year until about the midway point his rookie season. So it stands to reasons that he wouldn't have many receptions.

But we have thrown less to teh RB for several years now 18 catches mean squat.

He really need to increase his production on this are. He should be a natural for it with his speed and a littel space he should be gone most of the time.

One has to wonder why his number has not been called much.

Comment

He really need to increase his production on this are. He should be a natural for it with his speed and a littel space he should be gone most of the time.

Actually that is really puzzling to me. I have watched Tatum for two years now in training camp and he has caught almost everything thrown at him.

I think they totally used him wrong last year in the passing game. For some reason he was getting 5-8 yard passes on 3rd down and every time there was a linebacker to blast him just as the ball got there.

I did not see any times when they let him use his speed like that did in training camp and have him catch the long ball.
                    Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

water under the bridge, in any case. . . good post whether i agree with it or not-- it's tough for me to be very critical of shanny on this particular topic considering the results we've gotten. . . portis was a great value pick and has become a FAR better runner and more complete player than t j duckett, william green, or deshaun foster, all of whom were taken ahead of him. . .

and tater, despite his limitations, has been a very valuable player for us-- he averaged a full ypc better than MA, and scored 8 TDs to MA's 12 on significantly fewer carries. . . and don't forget, you need two good backs when you depend on the run as much as we do-- you never know when one of them will go down, and you need a reliable second option. . . besides, if we hadn't drafted portis and turned him into a star, we wouldn't have champ now! considering our unique success at the position, maybe we should always draft RBs and trade them?

this may be the ONLY time you hear me actually defend shanny's drafting, but WTH!!

Yes, I am fully aware of how things turned out, but it appears more as if they blundered into it through moves that were otherwise unnecessary. But yes, it turned out all right.

Except for what happened to MA . . .

-----

Comment

I agree, we, and all other teams should have depth at the RB position, however, as far as trading them, I believe other teams are starting to realize it's the "system" that makes these RB's appear more valuable than they are.

Comment

well. . .

Originally posted by topscribe
                          Yes, I am fully aware of how things turned out, but it appears more as if they blundered into it through moves that were otherwise unnecessary. But yes, it turned out all right.

Except for what happened to MA . . .

-----

you may be right here-- i sincerely hope we can make some more blunders that get us players like champ!! it ain't pretty, but whatever works. . .
                          Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

You're contridicting yourself on the one hand you say Bell needs to increase his production yet on the other hand we are throwing to the backs less. That's illogical guy.
                            John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by broncos4ever
                              Actually that is really puzzling to me. I have watched Tatum for two years now in training camp and he has caught almost everything thrown at him.

I think they totally used him wrong last year in the passing game. For some reason he was getting 5-8 yard passes on 3rd down and every time there was a linebacker to blast him just as the ball got there.

I did not see any times when they let him use his speed like that did in training camp and have him catch the long ball.
                              I agree why have they not thrown to him or MA or for that matter Q when he was here. It used to be a staple of our game like the toss to TD. What happened?

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
                                You're contridicting yourself on the one hand you say Bell needs to increase his production yet on the other hand we are throwing to the backs less. That's illogical guy.
                                I'm not calling the plays you'll have to ask Mikey.

Comment

Working...
                                X