No announcement yet.

David Terrell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's my thought. And only a thought or theory. He seems like he has the skills, but for one reason or another, he just hasn't clicked. I understand why with situation he had in Chicago, and all that is being said. We had a fair team last year, but the receiving portion of our offense just didn't seem to play up to where it should. We needed a 3rd receiving threat, and struggled because of it. It seemed as though other teams had figured out running back by commitee, and Plummer and crew weren't getting it done when we needed the pass. I think we need a threat in the 3rd receiver. Someone that can make the 3rd down catch and help move the chains. I would hope that this guy could figure out what is needed to get his game going. Maybe the new coach, Hermmandinger, can help him. I've heard he is good in that aspect.

My other part is that we need someone who is a solid running back. I don't care who it is, my prefrence would be DeAngelo Williams, but I don't care as long as they can produce, and put the fear back into our offense. I just remember that when we went to the SB, TD was flat out tearing it up, and other teams had no choice but to respect his skills. It seems that the run sets up the pass. But we need both to be successful. It's like the teeth of a gear, all have to mesh for it to run properly.

Comment

Originally posted by DaWildHorse
      David Terrell never played for the Patriots; he played for Chicago for his first 5 seasons before coming here as a free-agent last season. You might be thinking of David PATTEN, a former Patriot WR who is with the Redskins now.
      I'm afraid you're wrong...

DT signed as a FA with NE, but was cut by them before the season started. We picked him up from NE.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.ph...contentID=4863

Terrell (6-3, 212 pounds), is a fifth-year player who joins the Broncos from New England, which released him Saturday after he signed with the team as a free agent on April 5. He spent his first four years with Chicago and was selected by the Bears in the first round (eighth overall) of the 2001 NFL Draft.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rackman
        With the story that is put out about David Terrell by this web site DenverBroncos.com, I was wondering what the story is on the guy? He was a number 8 pick for the Bears in 2001. But he just seemed to have an average career. What was the deal? Was he injuried, or shall I say what de-railed him? With such a bright start you tend to wonder what happened. Did he just not go anywhere with the Bears, or was it something else?
        Before everyone gets their pants in a lather over David Terrell becoming a starter you need to take a deep breath.

YOu can criticize the Bears all you want, but they gave him the starting job and he couldn't handle it. You can make all the excuses in the world, but the guy has been a bust in the NFL. I don't care how highly touted he was in 2001 as a draft pick.

This stuff happens in the NFL. Some guys dominate at the college level because they're simply faster or stronger or more athletic than their college opponents and just don't ever make the transition to the pro level. There, EVERYBODY was a star in college. EVERYBODY is fast and strong and the ones that succeed are the ones that really are willing to do anything it takes like Rod Smith.

Personally, no matter if I had had the size and skill and athletic talent (of course I didn't remotely) to become an NFL player, I could never have succeded simply because I would never have been willing to pay the price for success. Some guys just aren't driven.

Some guys are, like Rod Smith. David Terrell has better physical tools than Rod Smith, but Rod has one overriding goal in life and he's willing to subbordinate everything in his life to that end.

That means at 5:30 A.M. on a Tuesday in early march when he's tired and doesn't feel like working out during the off-season, he doesn't roll over and go back to sleep. He's dedicated to football all year round, it's always #1 in his life.

David Terrell is intriguing. But the real verdict is already in.

Coach Shanahan said when he signed Terrell that he would be activated in a few weeks when he learned the Broncos system. Well, he never was. He's not a rookie, he's a 5 year veteran. Either he's going to produce or he's not.

And he wasn't even considered good enough by the Broncos coaches to become the #3 WR instead of an undrafted FA like Todd Devoe or Charlie Adams, neither of whom are ever going to be household names in the NFL. And he was only activated for 1 game all year.

Now Shanahan has said that Terrell will get another chance during the pre-season to show what he can do. What else is he going to say? Of course he's going to get a chance. So will Darius Watts.

One of those two might make the team this year. The other will probably be gone. Maybe both of them will be gone. We'll see.

Just don't waste a lot of time expecting Terrell to blossom into a starter because it's a very remote chance. And if the Broncos draft a top WR it's probably even remoter.
        sigpic

Comment

Well said Cugel. I suppose one of the things that can't be measured that well is the motor a guy has. Looking at the scouting reports, and seeing who seems to have that extra bit of desire to excell is critical, because if a guy doesn't have it, you wonder if he will on the next level. Just being a race horse doesn't mean you have what it takes to make it on the next level, and only those who do seem to make it happen.

Comment

he'll be a solid number 3 or 4 reciever for us
            "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

David Terrell never played for the Patriots; he played for Chicago for his first 5 seasons before coming here as a free-agent last season. You might be thinking of David PATTEN, a former Patriot WR who is with the Redskins now.

Terrell was in the Patriots camp last season and believe was cut just before the start of the season.
              John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

David Terrell was on the Patriots last preseason and was cut right before the end of camp. He went there because of his friendship with Brady. He was cut becaus of injury.

SAM AND TERRELL AMONG PATRIOTS' CUTS
                Published on September 4, 2005

P.K. Sam had a feeling the sandman would come calling, and his hunch proved accurate, as he was among the 17 cuts made by the Patriots yesterday.

The second-year receiver from Florida State, the youngest player selected in the 2004 NFL Draft, said coach Bill Belichick and vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli noted his improved maturity from his rookie season when they informed him of the team's decision. "I learned a lot here, and I don't know
                NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

well, the two prevailing thoughts on david terrell is that he's either a complete bust that simply didn't have the drive to make it, or he's got a lot of untapped potential due to being put into a terrible situation in chicago and will blossom in a stable atmosphere

i tend to think its a mix of the two. you can't deny chicago's qbs and passing situation has been lousy for quite a while, but at the same time expecting him to be the next rod smith isn't realistic at all. i always feel a great receiver will play great no matter the situation. take rod smith for example; no matter the changes we've had in qbs after elway, the loss of other good receiving options like eddie and sharpe, and how good or bad we've been on either side of the ball with turnovers or keeping drives alive, you can always count on rod smith to make the tough 3rd down catch and get his 80/1000 a season. that's because he's a great receiver.

for terrell, it depends on how hard he's willing to work to become something more than a great athlete. i dont think he'll ever be able to take over for rod smith, but i think he can definitely become a solid contributor for us as a 3rd or even 2nd receiver if he puts the effort in. and as for right now, that's all we really need anyway.

Comment

He was drafted in the first round by Chicago. Consequently much more was expected out of him there. He was hurt and the Pats didn't want to wait for him to heal up so they cut him loose.

Denver doesn't expect him to be "the man" only the number 3 receiver. Rather than release him last year like the Pats did the Broncos kept him. They must see something or he would have already been gone.

Now, can he make it? We'll have to wait and see.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean
                      He was drafted in the first round by Chicago. Consequently much more was expected out of him there. He was hurt and the Pats didn't want to wait for him to heal up so they cut him loose.

Denver doesn't expect him to be "the man" only the number 3 receiver. Rather than release him last year like the Pats did the Broncos kept him. They must see something or he would have already been gone.

Now, can he make it? We'll have to wait and see.
                      I think he can. This is by far the best offense he has played for. He can be better than Charlie Adams and Darrius Watts that is for sure.
                      NHL Blog at:NHL Blog by Medford Bronco!

Comment

I have a feeling he will come out this year. NE only cut him due to injury and didn't want to wait. The guy played for a ****y O for so many years. Look at larry Fitzgerald, you don't hear much about him, do you? I have a feeling DT is a diamond in the rough, just needs to play for a good team that want's to give him a chance. Some of the articles I read on him, he seems very determined to make an impact. I'm betting he will.

Comment

Originally posted by Medford Bronco
                          I think he can. This is by far the best offense he has played for. He can be better than Charlie Adams and Darrius Watts that is for sure.
                          Yes he can. And that's not saying much is it?

Being better than Watts, Devoe or Adams; or even better than all three, might still not get Terrell onto the final roster. It all depends on whether Shanahan brings in some new WRs via the draft, undrafted FAs, June WR cuts by other teams, etc.

I would expect Shanaman not to be content with the WRs he's got and bring in 2 or three new ones this offseason to compete with Adams, Terrell, Watts, et al.

Any draft picks will automatically make the roster (unless they're total busts like Marcus Nash), so that could take up 1 roster spot already. And there will only be six at most, maybe 5 WR spots. We know that Smith and Lelie will be 2 of them so that's 3 left. Throw in a couple of rookies and only 1 of those three might make it.

And that could be a good thing. The Broncos #3 WRs didn't exactly light up the world.

Terrell's said the right things so far this off-season, but so did Mario Fatafehi last year and we all know what happened to him!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel
                            Yes he can. And that's not saying much is it?

Being better than Watts, Devoe or Adams; or even better than all three, might still not get Terrell onto the final roster. It all depends on whether Shanahan brings in some new WRs via the draft, undrafted FAs, June WR cuts by other teams, etc.

I would expect Shanaman not to be content with the WRs he's got and bring in 2 or three new ones this offseason to compete with Adams, Terrell, Watts, et al.

Any draft picks will automatically make the roster (unless they're total busts like Marcus Nash), so that could take up 1 roster spot already. And there will only be six at most, maybe 5 WR spots. We know that Smith and Lelie will be 2 of them so that's 3 left. Throw in a couple of rookies and only 1 of those three might make it.

And that could be a good thing. The Broncos #3 WRs didn't exactly light up the world.

Terrell's said the right things so far this off-season, but so did Mario Fatafehi last year and we all know what happened to him!
                            You forget about the practice squad?

I'd imagine if they see something in a rookie to keep around, the PS is where they'll be....

....remember.....Shanny doesn't play rook WR's too very often.
                            "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                            tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                            men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X