Duke's TD in NFL-E.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DURANGO BRONCO
    I just finished watching the game tape from Wesley Dukes game today, and offer the following:

The Duke is becoming a very good blocker. He has excellent technique, consistently keeping his hands locked into defenders chests with a solid base. He has the strength to push defenders backwards, and can seal the backside with solid technique. The competition is suspect, but his technique and strength appear excellent.

He catches most everything thrown to him. He has soft hands, and does not seem to get nervous. He seems to get adequate separation, and would have likely had a TD in the 2nd quarter but the QB was premature, and behind with a throw.

I noticed that he was thrown off a route with a chip by a LB, but without better tape I couldn't tell if that happens frequently. He does have quickness, able to run with WR's the first 5 yards of his route. Was wide open on a crossing pattern that was thrown in the dirt late in the game.

I am not sure if he will be the next Shannon Sharpe, but you can be assured that his blocking will probably give him the starting spot or at least a secondary spot when we have sets with two TE's
    He is a very good blocker. I'd see he's been a bit like me. I've made a good improvement and improve fast. I may nto be the best but I sure try my best because I'm one of those underrated guys. So what if I play B team games (NFLE games) My coaches expect me to be A material this year or starting to 2nd string for the Duke. He can catch and has extraordianry work ethic.
    MMA News
    MMA News 247

Comment

DenverBuckeye His game against SD in the finale was a pretty good one if I might say and it wasn't against scrubs, but against Shawne Merriman and co. He had several nice catches and did a good job of blocking. Plus wasn't it the Buffalo game when he caught the TD?

I'd say he has done a pretty nice job of proving himself already.

Duke '05: 2rec + 21yds + 1td= '06 starter? (I will take him over anything we have) All the more reason to get Vernon Davis! Duke will prolly be a work in progress, one worth taking, but we need results now.

Comment

Iv seen a few of the games he has played in and he does ok when he is out there but thats the big problem, he isnt out there enough, and Brock doesnt throw to him , its the other qb that comes in to sub for Brock, he is the one that looks Dukes direction. But for the playing time he has logged on the field id say he has done a decent job, but i dont care if he puts up 20 td catches in NFL Europe that still doesnt sell me on him as a big time NFL T.E, he will have to do something in the 'Real' NFL before i start looking to buy his jersey. i cant wait to see how he does in camp and the preseason this year, i want to see him come out and win a job and not make the team as a project destined for more practice squad time. On a side note i still do not understand why BVP is not in NFL europe getting playing time, he is the damn backup and he has no experance as a starter, The cowboys sent Drew Henson over there and he is getting playing time , why not BVP? The most important position on the field and we got a guy Backing up Plummer who proved he could run the ball but not much in the passing department.
        "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pipes7

Duke '05: 2rec + 21yds + 1td= '06 starter? (I will take him over anything we have) All the more reason to get Vernon Davis! Duke will prolly be a work in progress, one worth taking, but we need results now.
          1) He was a ROOKIE

2) Before last year, he didnt play football since high school am I correct?

3) And I only saw him in those last couple of game as like the 3rd stringer...you expect him to have "starter stats"?

I really like Duke's potential...he's a good blocker and I like how he knows to catch with his hands not his body because he played basketball.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pipes7
            DenverBuckeye His game against SD in the finale was a pretty good one if I might say and it wasn't against scrubs, but against Shawne Merriman and co. He had several nice catches and did a good job of blocking. Plus wasn't it the Buffalo game when he caught the TD?

I'd say he has done a pretty nice job of proving himself already.

Vernon Davis doesn't even have any stats and yet you trust him more than Duke?

Frankly I think they are both just as proven as each other.
            "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

1) He was a ROOKIE

2) Before last year, he didnt play football since high school am I correct?

3) And I only saw him in those last couple of game as like the 3rd stringer...you expect him to have "starter stats"?

The reason why I posted those accurate stats was in rebuttle against another post that said something about him having several catches in a game...read the whole post next time and do not tell me what I expect. Not anywhere have I said I expected him to put up huge numbers last year or this year for that matter. I just want a playmaking TE in there. If the coaches feel he's ready, then great, let him start, if not-find someone who is.

Comment

Originally posted by LoyalSoldier
                and I guess Adam Vinatari shouldn't have been able to kick those game winning field goals for NE because he played in NFL-E
                Adam played college at South Dakota State University......the Jackrabbits.
                SDSU was then a Div. II team.

Just a clarification......
                "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bcbronc
                  exactly, well said.

so far there has not been a single negative about him. he beat the odds last season to get activated for some games. he has caught everything he has touched. he had as many touchdowns as our top 2 TE's on the depth chart did last year. his blocking has looked very solid, especially considering how raw he still is.

the only negatives about his is he is raw and has had knee problems.

none of this means he is going to be the next gates. he most likely will never be the best TE in football. but can anyone give me one reason (relating to what they have seen from him on the field so far) to think he wont be able to contribute to the team next year? he has exceeded my expectations thus far, and i am excited to see what he can do next preseason.
                  There is no question that he will contribute this year. The question really is how much will he contribute? I remain postitive that he will become a big threat.
                  sigpic

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_1804775

Comment

Cmon. You cant possibly believe this. VD has played, and played well in college football. Wesley is still learning how to play football. If he cant light up NFL-E, how coudl he be ready to do anything here? I am not saying he doesnt have potential, but that he is at least another yr of developing, to get past him being a #3TE.

Comment

Hey Shiverman, Good point about BVP !

Comment

Originally posted by ydave77
                        The fact that Duke may be our second TE scares the heck out of me. Hopefully VJ can step up and take 2.
                        I honestly don't know what's worse, Duke as a 2nd, or BVP as a 2nd...

They are both sickening prospects, imagine Plummer and Alexander BOTH going down...

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

Well... you've gone and done it.

Thank you for saving me the work of trying to prove you wrong.

You have effectively done it to your self.

Comparing some second rate Basketball player, to someone that has proven themselves in a Divisioon 1 football program, and leading the nation at his position, is foolish at very best. Worst? We won't discuss for fear of a banning.

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

Originally posted by ydave77
                            Cmon. You cant possibly believe this. VD has played, and played well in college football. Wesley is still learning how to play football. If he cant light up NFL-E, how coudl he be ready to do anything here? I am not saying he doesnt have potential, but that he is at least another yr of developing, to get past him being a #3TE.
                            That is the thing. College football! How many first round busts are there?

Wesley has played football before and basketball isn't as big of a jump anyways. A lot of common skills.

BTW he is doing good for a TE in the NFL-E. He isn't going to have stats like the NFL because you aren't going to get as much time as the NFL. Even the starting QB doesn't play a full game. Also as I have mentioned he is playing in a offense that isn't the most TE friendly. Base set is 3WR.

Well... you've gone and done it.

Thank you for saving me the work of trying to prove you wrong.

You have effectively done it to your self.

Comparing some second rate Basketball player, to someone that has proven themselves in a Divisioon 1 football program, and leading the nation at his position, is foolish at very best. Worst? We won't discuss for fear of a banning.
                            So I guess that means Ron Dayne is the best RB in the NFL because he was proven in Division I right?. Oh wait wait....why isn't Darius Watts starting right now...he played in Division I. If you want I can name a bunch of players who playied in division I and never made it in the NFL or weren't as good as they though they were in college. Odds are I can name more busts than successes.

College football doesn't mean crap in the NFL! How many busts do we have every year? All doing well in College does is to give you a chance to get into the NFL it doesn't mean you are going to make it.

Duke hasn't had much experience in the NFL and VD has had none. So therefore by NFL standards they are the same. Now if VD proves himself in the NFL then he is proven.
                            Last edited by LoyalSoldier; 04-09-2006, 12:44 PM.
                            "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

Originally posted by Jrhampton
                              Should rename it the POOP on Duke.

Hopefuly he will be ablet to accomplish something more than what he has. He is afterall playing on a sub minor league team against scrubs.

Not overly impressed at all.
                              Plz sir, remember he is also playing WITH scrubs .

Comment

Working...
                              X