Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If we still had Elway in his prime, would we be winning Super Bowls right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we still had Elway in his prime, would we be winning Super Bowls right now?

First off, this is by no means a swipe at Jake. I like Jake and am content with him as our QB, especially since I don't believe we have any better options available right now. Plenty of teams have won it all without Hall of Famers receiving the snaps.

But stats or no stats I think just about everybody here would agree that Elway was special. He took what were, in my opinion, less talented teams to Super Bowls they had no real business being in. This was thanks in large part to his sheer will and the ability to take his game to another level when we needed it most. (Oh, and a cannon for an arm sure didn't hurt.)

So with our current teams, do you think our former QB would have had us back in the Big Game a few times in recent seasons or do think we have had too many deficiencies as a team for any QB to get us there?

It'd be easy to say that he would have taken us there last season but honestly I doubt even Elway would have helped overcome the meltdown against Pittsburgh on both sides of the ball. It was just one of those games. (like vs. Jacksonville in '96)

What do you think? (And please, no Jake bashing.)
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

I dont know that they had less talent. They had a ton of talent at a lot of the skill positions. I would actually say they were way more talented at skill positions than the current broncos are.

Comment

I definetly think we would have won a Superbowl in Portis's second year if Elway was with us in his prime but that is just a thought.
      sigpic WHEC-724

Comment

Yes and No.

You last point was right on....

THe Jax meltdown was equivalent to the Pitt meltdown. We see that even Elway and all of his greatness can't win games when the team around him doesn't show up.

We definatly have the running game that was missing for the majority of his carreer. Had he had this rushing attack and O-line for even half of his career he would have to do more bicep curls to hold up all of his rings.

Remember the years of him leading the league in getting sacked? Remember the years of us scraping together running backs?

With all of that said though, he still needed a D to show up and when that didn't happen...( 86,87,89 SB's) the dog doo hit the fan.

Even today, with the semi talent we have on O and the "vaunted D" we had for the regular season, he would have needed all of it to beat Pitt.

Comment

with the way our defense/run game tends to play in the playoffs i dont think we would have went to the superbowl. unless john pulled off "the drive" 3 times in the last quarter, lol.

i think it would be fun to watch though
          dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Elway in his last three years would have made a difference. Elway in his prime under Dan Reeves, might have not. If you remember right Elway did much better under Shanahan then Reeves.

Elway had a lot of comebacks but that was basically because Dan would run the ball to death, not having the scheme as we do today and then turn to John in the fourth quarter and ask him to win the game for the team.

So I would agree the Elway under Mike Shanahan but not the Elway under Dan Reeves.
            Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

One thing Elway showed against Washington, S.F., and the Giants was that he was not very good at stopping the opposing offense from scoring.

Hmmm . . . Jake seems to have that problem, too, doesn't he?

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                One thing Elway showed against Washington, S.F., and the Giants was that he was not very good at stopping the opposing offense from scoring.

Hmmm . . . Jake seems to have that problem, too, doesn't he?

-----
                I thought Jake wasn't supposed to be a part of this thread.

However, to answer your question....

Elway led teams in the AFCC game.... 5-1

Plummer led teams in the AFCC game.... 0-1

I think our chances of going to the SB would be much better if Elway were our QB in his prime.

*wakes up from dreaming*

OK, like many on these boards like to say, Elway's gone and he ain't coming back.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
                  I thought Jake wasn't supposed to be a part of this thread.

However, to answer your question....

Elway led teams in the AFCC game.... 5-1

Plummer led teams in the AFCC game.... 0-1

I think our chances of going to the SB would be much better if Elway were our QB in his prime.

*wakes up from dreaming*

OK, like many on these boards like to say, Elway's gone and he ain't coming back.

I would have loved to see us get a TD in like 91 or so and Shanahan come around at about that same time.

Instead of the Cowboys being the team of the 90's it would have been the Broncos.

THose 4 consecutive years that the Bills went to the SB would have been us...but with a better outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
                    *wakes up from dreaming*

But, but, but, it is so much fun to dream...
                    Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
                      First off, this is by no means a swipe at Jake. I like Jake and am content with him as our QB, especially since I don't believe we have any better options available right now. Plenty of teams have won it all without Hall of Famers receiving the snaps.

But stats or no stats I think just about everybody here would agree that Elway was special. He took what were, in my opinion, less talented teams to Super Bowls they had no real business being in. This was thanks in large part to his sheer will and the ability to take his game to another level when we needed it most. (Oh, and a cannon for an arm sure didn't hurt.)

So with our current teams, do you think our former QB would have had us back in the Big Game a few times in recent seasons or do think we have had too many deficiencies as a team for any QB to get us there?

It'd be easy to say that he would have taken us there last season but honestly I doubt even Elway would have helped overcome the meltdown against Pittsburgh on both sides of the ball. It was just one of those games. (like vs. Jacksonville in '96)

What do you think? (And please, no Jake bashing.)
                      Who cares he is gone 4ever,JAKE IS THE NEW KING IN MY MIND

Comment

As has been mentioned, possibly during the CP years, but I don't think that John would have made a difference to the last couple of years.

To me, QB is not a problem at the moment, we need someone to share the load with Rod on offense, and an explosive pass rusher to progress to the next level.

Personally, I think the player that we're missing and never replaced is Sharpe.
                        The Whiskyteers ~ One for all, and all for MORE!!!!

Broncomania Best Foreign Poster
                        BFC.........D Will #27.............D Nash #29
                        You'll Never Walk Alone

Spiffing sig, MasterShake :cheers:

You know, in certain older civilized cultures, when men failed as entirely as you have, they would throw themselves on their swords ~ The Operative, Serenity

Maybe Slowick should pay attention

Comment

Get Over it!!!! Elway is gone, hes gone forever I do love the guy and he is the greatest quarterback but lets not dewl on the past, we ahve a future and a chance to get to the super bowl this year with some luck added in, But the AFC west is open and should be ours this year provided we don't mess up

Comment

I think most of us are aware that Elway is gone, retired, but this is the GD forum and is just a post for conversation and fun. Elway would of performed better and gotten us closer to the big one, but as said previously, Elway did'nt play D and probably would of had the same outcome, in the playoffs, maybe with the score being a little more closer.(In reference to the playoff losses to the Colts and Steelers.)

Comment

elway is in the HoF because he's a winner, plain and simple. i think we would have another ring if elway was our QB, definitely. last season maybe (but pittsburg last season was REALLY good too, i dont know if anyone could beat them with how well big ben played in the afcc [edit] and how poorly our defense played) and with portis maybe.

Comment

Working...
                              X