Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If we still had Elway in his prime, would we be winning Super Bowls right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
    I think the difference in our system is a couple things. I think Shanahan would easily give Elway more "control" of the offense then he would allow Jake. Elway was as good at reading defenses and making them pay as he was at firing the ball. I think things were loosened up with Elway at the helm. Deeper routes, harder routes....because Elway just had a much stronger arm and could make throws that most cannot. So I feel the offense was opened up more.

That being said. Because the offense COULD be opened up more... that allowed the running game with a talent like Davis to thrive.
    No argument there.

At hoisting a team on his back and willing them to win, doing things to defenses that no other QB could do,
    Elway hasn't had a peer since Norm Van Brocklyn.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon
      Credit != Dedication

He got plenty of credit for having a great career, for the one game against the Falcons, for a long, successful career. He didn't get as much credit for those two Super Bowl winning seasons as I think he deserved. Yes, there was plenty of talent around him but he also was a big chunk of the talent pool we had.

Forget it, Lava. I alreadly know that once you state something there will be no changing your mind. So, I'm not going any further with this conversation. Go ahead and see it how you want to see it.
      Who said you could not "teach an old dog, new tricks"? (No offense on the 'old dog' Jav) I remember many a post going into the wee hours of the night with LAVA and others arguing a point. If I remember right LAVA very seldom ever gave up his position, even if he was proved wrong.

One thing LAVA (you of a million posts) you stick to your guns and you always bring plenty of amnumition. I have always enjoyed your posts and especially when you have got into with JAV in the old days.

JAV you have learned the trick though... Good Job. Sorry I can't give you a CP at this time, the note said I needed to spread them around but you definitely have one coming to you.
      Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

would be sweet to have him bac
        "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by broncos4ever
          Who said you could not "teach an old dog, new tricks"? (No offense on the 'old dog' Jav) I remember many a post going into the wee hours of the night with LAVA and others arguing a point. If I remember right LAVA very seldom ever gave up his position, even if he was proved wrong.

One thing LAVA (you of a million posts) you stick to your guns and you always bring plenty of amnumition. I have always enjoyed your posts and especially when you have got into with JAV in the old days.

JAV you have learned the trick though... Good Job. Sorry I can't give you a CP at this time, the note said I needed to spread them around but you definitely have one coming to you.
          thats what makes us regulars special
          dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

I think that...

...if Jake Plummer had the overall team talent around him that John Elway had when he "won" a SuperBowl, Jake would have his own ring right now. It's still a team sport and I don't think that overall the team is near the same talent now as it was then. It was just a magical time where all the parts came together just right. It can happen to any QB, RB or whatever position you're trying to compare (e.g. Shannon Sharpe vs Jeb Putzier, no comparison, but a legit talent comparison in that even one additional player might have made the difference). We are close and I can "feel" it, but it will take just the right pieces to get there. Just my .02 cents also.
            Be jealous haters...I am the #1 Broncos fan no matter what your car tag says

Comment

Originally posted by KS-BroncoGirl
              ...if Jake Plummer had the overall team talent around him that John Elway had when he "won" a SuperBowl, Jake would have his own ring right now. It's still a team sport and I don't think that overall the team is near the same talent now as it was then. It was just a magical time where all the parts came together just right. It can happen to any QB, RB or whatever position you're trying to compare (e.g. Shannon Sharpe vs Jeb Putzier, no comparison, but a legit talent comparison in that even one additional player might have made the difference). We are close and I can "feel" it, but it will take just the right pieces to get there. Just my .02 cents also.
              The trouble is "last year" was one of those magical years and the Broncos know it. They really picked the wrong day to have the worst game of the season. Of course it may be how Pittsburgh lines up with us as far as players and scheme also. We had that at home for the AFC Championship!!! We do not lose those games, but we did.

We did not lose those games with John, even when he had very little talent. That was because John was special and those QB's only come around once in a life-time. There are very few "special" QB's. Jake is a good QB, but not special. I am not saying that if we had more talent Jake could not take us to the Superbowl and win but the Broncos wasted a huge opportunity last year.

Hopefully it will be one of those special years this year... It would sure be nice.
              Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

Working...
              X