Stewart, Johnson, and Lynch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cugel
    Volek probably isn't coming to Denver, the other options aren't really all that great either.

Frankly, I'm excited about Kordell maybe coming here. I think he'd be a great fit with our system and provide a quality backup for Plummer.

Two points:

1. Stats can be very deceiving. Remember Jake's stats in Phoenix? How everybody said he'd throw a ton of interceptions as a Bronco and let everybody down? He comes into our system and posts a 91 quarterback rating, 5th in the league in his 1st season with us. With Kordell in our system I think he would have a chance to succeed. We need a guy who can move around and make plays. . . . No we wouldn't want him as starter but if he's o.k. with being a backup he'd be valuable.

2. Did you guys WATCH the games Kanell and Berlein played last year? It was painful to watch them! They couldn't move out there at all and our O-line isn't big enough to stand up 330 lbs DLs for an immobile quarterback. Period. Kanell still has permanent grass stains on his back. Berlein should retire and Kanell should be released. As for Jarious Jackson, don't even get me started on why he ought to be given a one-way ticket out of town. I think I'd rather just go straight to Rod Smith as the emergency quarterback. Why bother using the useless?
    As back up Kordell might be alright but not as a starter. I see alot of posters being criticial of Kanell, but I don't think they consider he did not have the benefit of even a full camp to learn the system. I think that given the time to learn it he could be quality back up as well. And yes I did see him play and in the NE he played well enough for the Broncos to win. It was O'Neal getting burned at the end of the game that cost the team a victory. Like you, I don't care for Jackson, heck for that matter I wouldn't trust him to be the back up waterboy.
    John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Ok, so he is mobile, but at some point he does have to pass . . . and you aer honestly saying his stats are irrelevant?? Last year for example, on third down the guy was 25-65 for a completion pct of 39 and a QB rating on those downs of 30.4 . . .
      Hate to just jump in on a good thread, but I don't think it would be fair to judge last years stats to what he could with the system in denver. Chicago had trouble moving the ball last year and was often looking a third-and-long situations.

It has already been pointed out that Kordell isn't the best at reading defense's, so when you have a defense knowing its going to be a pass, and a quarterback who isn't adroit in knowing where to put the ball, and you add in the fact that to just move the chains he's going to have to at least throw 7 yards out.

Chicago doesn't have a good offensive line, if they did they wouldn't be signing Tait with such a huge up front bonus. 11.7 million front loaded in the contract is not a small sum to swallow, which highlights just how important they viewed his signing. They signed Salaam as well.

Now you have a Third-and-long, a quarterback who can't read defense, a defense who knows the pass is coming, a whole mess of pass rushers using your offensive line as spinning doors, and the pressure to succeed, you have a cluster F**k waiting to happen.

He'd make a good backup IMO, and would really do good with the offense we run. The run is our bread and butter, so defense have to play it. We don't get those third-and-forevers all that often. He's not under pressure to succeed because he's the backup.

Shanahan and Kubiak are very good at dumbing down the offense enough to be run on the fly. They did it with Plummer; they split the field in two and gave him two options to go with. If he didn't like the options, he could scramble. I envision the same thing happening with Kordell.

Comment

I see alot of posters being criticial of Kanell, but I don't think they consider he did not have the benefit of even a full camp to learn the system. I think that given the time to learn it he could be quality back up as well.
        :p

Well, you may get your wish! I imagine that the team will keep Kanell, let Berlein retire and bring in a 3rd QB to back-up Jake. (They may also draft a QB in the later rounds as well, in which case I don't know whether they keep Kanell).

Kanell may have done alright in another system, but learning it isn't the problem. He just doesn't have the mobility to get out of trouble. Our O-line just isn't big enough to protect a pocket quarterback. We pick smaller O-linemen who can get out and run-block, and move about, but they are NEVER going to be very good at straight back pass blocking.

Didn't we learn the lesson with Griese? He "knew" how to sit back and read the d. He just was too immobile to succeed (among other defects).
        sigpic

Comment

excellent post

Originally posted by O&B_Forever
          Hate to just jump in on a good thread, but I don't think it would be fair to judge last years stats to what he could with the system in denver. Chicago had trouble moving the ball last year and was often looking a third-and-long situations.

It has already been pointed out that Kordell isn't the best at reading defense's, so when you have a defense knowing its going to be a pass, and a quarterback who isn't adroit in knowing where to put the ball, and you add in the fact that to just move the chains he's going to have to at least throw 7 yards out.

Chicago doesn't have a good offensive line, if they did they wouldn't be signing Tait with such a huge up front bonus. 11.7 million front loaded in the contract is not a small sum to swallow, which highlights just how important they viewed his signing. They signed Salaam as well.

Now you have a Third-and-long, a quarterback who can't read defense, a defense who knows the pass is coming, a whole mess of pass rushers using your offensive line as spinning doors, and the pressure to succeed, you have a cluster F**k waiting to happen.

He'd make a good backup IMO, and would really do good with the offense we run. The run is our bread and butter, so defense have to play it. We don't get those third-and-forevers all that often. He's not under pressure to succeed because he's the backup.

Shanahan and Kubiak are very good at dumbing down the offense enough to be run on the fly. They did it with Plummer; they split the field in two and gave him two options to go with. If he didn't like the options, he could scramble. I envision the same thing happening with Kordell.
          i was waiting for somebody to use a little sense. how kordell would be used in this system if needed, cause he wouldn't be a starter unless plummer went down, would be very different then any other system he was in. our run offense dictates how denver's pass works. how many play action roll outs did plummer run and it was a short pass to the TE or WR in a short crossing pattern. i think kordell can do that. now ask him to win you the game when the running game is not working and it's over but that's how plummer started last year untill he got comfortable and was able to be a factor. remember your not asking kordell to start just to back up jake. we don't have a awesome pass blocking line so you need a mobile QB whether starting or backing up the starter and stewart can make something out of nothing if need be where as beurlien and kannel were so stiff they turned blue out there.
          Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Comment

Re: excellent post

Originally posted by bklynbronco
            <stuff he said>
            ^ this man just spoke 75 words of truth

Comment

all i gotta say is kordell did not get his fair chance in chicago last year. I watched almost every game, since i live in illinois, and stewart was not the problem. Granted like everyone is saying he's definately not a starting qb, unless he somehow had a second coming in the right system, which i would not rule out, but the problem in chicago was **** JARAUN the head coach and worse than him was JOHN SHOOP the offensive cordinator. John Shoop in my opinion cant cordinate his own clothes let a lone an nfl offense and he showed that game in and game out every sunday. Stewart showed lots of success last year when the bears actually let him run and scramble and used him with his strengths. But they didn't do that very often. All i gotta say is that there hasn't been one damn good qb in that bears offensive system since probably harbaugh and he wasn't even that great. I just think with a qb like stewart, if plummer gets hurt you dont have to change the offense all around like you would with a pocket qb like beurline or kanell.

Comment

another good posts

Originally posted by Bailey24
                all i gotta say is kordell did not get his fair chance in chicago last year. I watched almost every game, since i live in illinois, and stewart was not the problem. Granted like everyone is saying he's definately not a starting qb, unless he somehow had a second coming in the right system, which i would not rule out, but the problem in chicago was **** JARAUN the head coach and worse than him was JOHN SHOOP the offensive cordinator. John Shoop in my opinion cant cordinate his own clothes let a lone an nfl offense and he showed that game in and game out every sunday. Stewart showed lots of success last year when the bears actually let him run and scramble and used him with his strengths. But they didn't do that very often. All i gotta say is that there hasn't been one damn good qb in that bears offensive system since probably harbaugh and he wasn't even that great. I just think with a qb like stewart, if plummer gets hurt you dont have to change the offense all around like you would with a pocket qb like beurline or kanell.
                I agree with bailey24:i think we can all agree that kordell can make more things happen with his legs than with his arm so you move the pocket around, roll outs and quick play action plays will definitly help him out in the back up role. it's almost the same way plummer started and untill he started connecting with some deep passes. signing stewart is not going to hurt denver cause he'll be a back up and won't play for at least 90 to 95% of the time so let's not overreact to signing kordell if we do.
                Bronco fan 33 years and counting, GO BRONCOS!

Comment

Working...
                X