Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

do we still need to draft a TE????

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Sharpey
    Good stuff...im glad some of u think LB is a first round need...we can hope WR falls to the second round and i think you cant pass on a talent like michael boulware in the second round...thats why we would get 2 LB...as the injuries showed you cant have too many of em...plus mobley's abilities are in doubt and i dont think we should resign Gold when boulware will be just as good...also, DJ williams is awesome and could start right away...with those 2 LB teaming with Al wilson, look out...Pierce would provide depth and allow our defense to mix it up with the 3-4
    Boulware has some issues with knowing when to play, PLUS, tackling.....A better pick would be Lehman.....IMO
    Knowing 1st rounders and their 'stats' don't always measure up in the NFL, I think certain positions are less likely to fail vs. others....ie. WR,RB,QB,CB,OL,DE - can make or break a draft. Versus a LB (m/w/s),S,TE,DT are safer in that they won't necessarily kill you with mistakes or growing pains. With that said.....
    1. LB
    2. TE
    2a. DT
    3. OL
    4. S
    etc.
    IMHO!!!!!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
    men."

    -- Samuel Adams

    sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

    Comment


    • #32
      True, thats another reason...LB is safer in the first round...michael boulware had over 100 tackles last year in college...and he ran a short shuttle in under four seconds!...or cone drill or somethin...it should be (if we stay pat and dont deal with the Pats)

      1) LB
      2a) WR
      2b) TE or boulware/lehman
      3) RB or DT donnell washington
      4) RB if not drafted in 3rd round or S
      5) CB/OL
      6) QB
      6) CB/OL/DL
      7) best available playa

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Sharpey
        Good stuff...im glad some of u think LB is a first round need...we can hope WR falls to the second round and i think you cant pass on a talent like michael boulware in the second round...thats why we would get 2 LB...as the injuries showed you cant have too many of em...plus mobley's abilities are in doubt and i dont think we should resign Gold when boulware will be just as good...also, DJ williams is awesome and could start right away...with those 2 LB teaming with Al wilson, look out...Pierce would provide depth and allow our defense to mix it up with the 3-4
        If we draft two LBs that high how on earth do we fill the rest of the holes on our team? How do we deal with changes that will occur next year as well? I don't understand how we are alot better by drafting two guys that may end up not even being an upgrade to the position. It seems to me that at least one of your picks would end up on the bench. Mobley will get a chance. I also think any coach would be hesitant to start two rookies as the outside linebackers. That sounds like a coverage nightmare.

        If Gold and Boulware are the same type of player then why not resign Gold and use the pick on someone else that would be an upgrade to our existing solution. And as you know I still like Lehman alot better than Boulware.

        Most draft experts have the CB and WR positions as much stronger than LB. So if we want to capitalize on the strength of the draft why should we focus so much on LB? Following your logic of not letting talent go, then it seems to me that we should go strong and grab a couple of WRs or another CB and a WR. Why let talent fall.........

        This is not my suggestion. I am just trying to understand what you are thinking, drafting 2 LBs seems a little extreme to me with the other pressing needs on our team.

        Comment


        • #34
          I, among others, would be absolutely stricken with glee if Starks fell to Denver's pick (and it's more likely than Harris or Vilfork falling) so who knows. If that happened, I'd say draft him, then pick up a LB (Lehman or Boulware, I like both of them, in the same mold as Ian's style of play and we need that void filled) with our early 2nd from Washington, then pick a WR with our late second round pick. I don't think Denver will draft a running back in the third round, so maybe go O line or TE. RB or TE 4th, I think Bell is expected to fall to the 4th but he might go earlier because he posted such good 40 times at the combine and such. One TE I like that isn't getting a lot of exposure is Mark Ghent from the Cardinals, good hands. Then I'd say a CB (one who has potential as a kick returner as well) or OL if it wasn't addressed earlier. In the more likely scenario of us NOT getting Starks, I'd like to see Denver instead pick up a WR like Lee Evans or Michael Jenkins. I have to admit I'm a bit skeptical about Michael Clayton, I know he's a great possession receiver but his speed is a real question (unless it was a bad run or something, but he ran like 4.71, not good). I know it may be a reach in the first but I REALLY like Devery Henderson, who's said to be the fastest WR in the draft ( 5 of his 11 touchdown receptions were of 40 yards or more, this guy is a home run hitter) and I think we need someone like that to pick up the reins of kick/punt returner and an immediate No. 3 for this season. Then I'd say DT early in rnd 2, like Donnell Washington (his work ethic may be a question though, I don't want a problem child) or Darnell Docket, possibly Marcus Tubbs. I'd say take Watson with our early second but I think he'll be picked up by one of the teams that decides not to pick Winslow early in the draft and still needs a TE. Then with our late rnd 2 pick take a good LB (Boulware and Lehman will probably be gone, so...) like Roderick Green from Central Missouri State. Even he's a reach in round 2 so possibly go TE if they don't get one with their early round 2 pick. I'd like to see Denver draft either an offensive lineman in round 3, or a running back like Julius Jones or Michael Turner. But that's a very un-Denver like thing to do, so I say go O Line. Rnd 4 i'd say again RB if they didn't get one with 3, or a LB if one wasn't picked earlier, like Alex Lewis from Wisconsin (one of the best pass rushing lbs in the draft, runs a fast 40 and is very explosive, has a low center of gravity and good bulk). After that it's a crap shoot, i have no idea. What I hate about all this speculation is that one teams pick scatters everything else all to hell, so none of this will probably happen.
          Last edited by Mr. Chaz; 03-20-2004, 12:09 PM.

          Comment


          • #35
            I like your opinion. Good stuff. Atleast most of the Broncos fans are all on the same page about the players we should be looking at, lets hope the Denver Draft board feels the same way and doesnt draft a George Foster first round......did anyone see that coming.
            New England Patriots GM

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Gbt31
              I like your opinion. Good stuff. Atleast most of the Broncos fans are all on the same page about the players we should be looking at, lets hope the Denver Draft board feels the same way and doesnt draft a George Foster first round......did anyone see that coming.
              Still don't see what you have against him....Denver's O scheme isn't the easiest to learn.....nobody has ever been able to play immediately....he'll play this year.....give him a chance!
              "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
              tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
              men."

              -- Samuel Adams

              sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by rcsodak
                give him a chance!
                O he'll get his chance, he's starting next year since Salam(sp) is gone.

                Comment


                • #38
                  No im not saying I dont like him, I was just saying how many bronco fans or even draft junkies saw us drafting George Foster...? I do think he will become a damn good lineman, but what I was trying to say was I really dont think anyone saw that one coming, I still remember Mel Kiper Jr going....."wow this is a surprise, most people didnt even have him going in the first round due to injuries.
                  New England Patriots GM

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    ...but then afterwards, they said they understood he'd have been drafted higher had he not been hurt.
                    Kinda like Galloway.....you're drafting for POTENTIAL.....remember that.
                    "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                    tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                    men."

                    -- Samuel Adams

                    sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Gbt31
                      No im not saying I dont like him, I was just saying how many bronco fans or even draft junkies saw us drafting George Foster...? I do think he will become a damn good lineman, but what I was trying to say was I really dont think anyone saw that one coming, I still remember Mel Kiper Jr going....."wow this is a surprise, most people didnt even have him going in the first round due to injuries.
                      Ya but in the long run it was a good pick....

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        well hopefully.
                        New England Patriots GM

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by rcsodak
                          Still don't see what you have against him....Denver's O scheme isn't the easiest to learn.....nobody has ever been able to play immediately....he'll play this year.....give him a chance!
                          No kidding. I think he's going to develope into a very good, and hopefully excellent tackle. Some of press clippings I have seen on Foster suggest that with a little time he could become the best OT from his draft class which included Kwamie Harris.
                          John 11: 25-27

                          My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



                          Thanks Snk16

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by TXBRONC
                            No kidding. I think he's going to develope into a very good, and hopefully excellent tackle. Some of press clippings I have seen on Foster suggest that with a little time he could become the best OT from his draft class which included Kwamie Harris.

                            OMG! That's 2!!!!!!!

                            Q>CP!!!

































                            hehehehehe...j/k
                            "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
                            tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
                            men."

                            -- Samuel Adams

                            sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by rcsodak
                              OMG! That's 2!!!!!!!

                              Q>CP!!!

































                              hehehehehe...j/k
                              I have never thought anything different. I'm glad you're coming around to my way of thinking.
                              John 11: 25-27

                              My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



                              Thanks Snk16

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X