Portis Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portis Deal

Forgive me if I'm repeating what others have posted - I'm new ...

... with that said, I think the Portis for Bailey + 2nd Rd Pick is a huge mistake.

Portis is 22 yrs old? He put up 1500+ yds in his first two season while missing 3-4 games each season. Maybe that's the key factor for the move "missing 3-4 games in his first two season" equates to him being injury prone but I don't buy it.

And for Champ Bailey?

Yeah, Bailey is a great cornerback, but so is Antowain Winfield (an unrestricted free agent). Winfield may not be as good as Bailey but he certainly would've been a huge upgrade from what we put on the field last season. Why didn't the Broncos go after Winfield and at the same time keep Portis? Sounds like the better, smarter, move to me. But again, maybe I'm missing a key factor here.

So now that the deal is done - and I'm sure with this deal we have the best CB in the game. But we are left with a 5'7" 2nd year RB who likely won't last a full season. Besides, do we really want Griffith being the workhorse for our team? I certainly don't. I certainly don't want to watch 2 yd gain, 3 yd gain, pass, incomplete.

Maybe the deal would make more sense if we upgraded in the WR position and opened our passing game. Lord knows Lelie is a risk or at least appeared to be last season. Rod Smith is getting old? But of course this isn't the case, otherwise the Broncos would have pursued T.O. or possibly Randy Moss? At least it's worth a thought.

Now there's talk of Corey Dillon? Yeah right, like we need another cancer on the team. Besides, Dillon isn't exactly the type of running back that fits into Denver's system - cut back. I would have been more happy if the Broncos could have gotten Garner or even Staley and opened up the passing game more in the backfield.

That leads me to the draft. The way I see it, unless we get Perry from Michigan, I see no way that this deal could have been worth it.

Again, I my point is based on the future of Portis. Someone already considered a top 5 back in the league. Someone who, if he can stay healthy of course, has a shot at beating Emmitt Smith's all-time rushing record without holding on too long just to do so like Emmitt did to beat Walter.

Nevertheless, all this would never had been talked about if the Broncos could have turned their heads towards Buffalo and invite Antowain Winfield for a visit. We would then have rectified the problems at corner and maintain what could be the best running game in the league.

Sorry once again for regurgitating what others may have/have said, but I don't won't to go sifting through Bronco sh*t now do I.
    Last edited by Zeo; 03-19-2004, 03:50 PM.

Re: Portis Deal

Originally posted by Zeo
    Sorry once again for regurgitating what others may have/have said, but I don't won't to go sifting through Bronco sh*t now do I.
    Yes, this deal has been gone over a million times within this board... and almost every opinion has been posted. The trade was great for Denver... go back to previous posts and u can see why.
    Remember kids, being a grammar Nazi makes you cool!

Comment

ENOUGH! IT HAPPENED, GET OVER IT! that being said....I think it was a great trade for BOTH teams. And Winfield isn't even in Champs league.

Comment

Originally posted by broncosfan247
        ENOUGH! IT HAPPENED, GET OVER IT! that being said....I think it was a great trade for BOTH teams. And Winfield isn't even in Champs league.

He's still pretty good though.

Comment

Winfield isn't in Champ's league?

Ok, I agree - but do we need someone in Champ's league?

The answer is NO! We had a defense equal to or even better than the defense we had to win 2 'Bowls.

We need a RB in Portis' league. And far be it for me to be the 'brer of bad news, but Anderson, Griffith, Dillon, or even Perry are not in Portis' league.

Comment

yea u are right

Originally posted by Zeo
            Winfield isn't in Champ's league?

Ok, I agree - but do we need someone in Champ's league?

The answer is NO! We had a defense equal to or even better than the defense we had to win 2 'Bowls.

We need a RB in Portis' league. And far be it for me to be the 'brer of bad news, but Anderson, Griffith, Dillon, or even Perry are not in Portis' league.
            Yea u are very right.
            CUTBACK!!!

Comment

the great thing is that we got a second round pick, the best cover corner in the league and we didnt pay top money to a RB (ie terrell davis) that will go and break their leg or somethin and produce jack for the rest of their career...we will just draft someone in the 5th round and pay them 300,000 dollars and they will give us a couple of 1500 yard seasons, then will complain about their contract and we'll trade them...its a great and never ending cycle!

Comment

I guess my whole point is dwindling down to one ....

... Mike Shanahan and Pat Bowlen.

If, which is what they say, the reason for dealing Portis is because Portis expressed he wants more money - then both of thes guys need to go.

Ok, I know it's not possible to fire Bowlen or that Bowlen will fire Shanahan. And of course I think Shanahan has a great mind for the game and is the best coach we could have at this time - but c'mon - Portis wanting more money 2 years before his current contract expires. Didn't he deserve it?

Portis is the reason high class Bronco Fans that can affor the high-priced tickets at what is now called Invesco Field to stay for the entire game. Not Griffith for Pete's Sake! And it certainly not because of Plummer's heroic 4th quarter comebacks.

I'm sick of this sh*t! Players used to want to play for the Broncos because of the way mgmt took care of them. That isn't the case here.

Yeah, I do follow the belief that if you sign a contract you need to stick to it. How often to team mgmt do that? Not very often. The Broncos HAD a back better than Terrel Davis. But they treated Davis like royalty. But before you get the wrong impression, I'm a huge Davis fan. I just wish they didn't waste cap space keeping a retired player.

Ok - I'm done. I just wanted to express my thoughts on the subject - obviously I'm not happy ...

... but I will point out. I'm not always right. Last year I was p'oed with us cutting Griese and signing Plummer.

Comment

Re: yea u are right

Originally posted by Africangod
                  Yea u are very right.
                  Not really, ur both very wrong. It is true that we did have a good defense overall last year, but can you guess what are biggest weakness was? Thats right, pass coverage. Now that we have a shut down cornerback who will also serve as a mentor to other corners, our defense now seems perfect.

As for the loss of Portis... we have been churning out 1500+ yd running backs for many years. I've said it before, and i'll say it again... It's the Offensive line that makes the running back. Portis is a good running back, but not to the extent that we can put in a different back, and still have our running game as a threat. Our O-line has made mediocre backs look like pro-bowlers, as shown with Portis.

Comment

they treated davis like royalty and got burned with his career ending injury! thats why they didnt treat portis like royalty...a RB has a higher chance of getting injured...ack, be patient and watch one of the best D's in the nfl take shape...the D will win games for us

Comment

Originally posted by Zeo
                      Ok, I know it's not possible to fire Bowlen or that Bowlen will fire Shanahan. And of course I think Shanahan has a great mind for the game and is the best coach we could have at this time - but c'mon - Portis wanting more money 2 years before his current contract expires. Didn't he deserve it?

Portis is the reason high class Bronco Fans that can affor the high-priced tickets at what is now called Invesco Field to stay for the entire game. Not Griffith for Pete's Sake! And it certainly not because of Plummer's heroic 4th quarter comebacks.

I'm sick of this sh*t! Players used to want to play for the Broncos because of the way mgmt took care of them. That isn't the case here.

Yeah, I do follow the belief that if you sign a contract you need to stick to it. How often to team mgmt do that? Not very often. The Broncos HAD a back better than Terrel Davis. But they treated Davis like royalty. But before you get the wrong impression, I'm a huge Davis fan. I just wish they didn't waste cap space keeping a retired player.

... but I will point out. I'm not always right. Last year I was p'oed with us cutting Griese and signing Plummer.
                      Portis was asking to be the highest paid running back before his contract ended, not only this but his "me me me" attitude didn't help.

The Bronco's management didn't even think about the "high class Bronco Fans" when going through with this trade.... They were thinking about getting that super bowl ring. No matter what happens to the team, in that stadium, every game will be a sell-out.

It's Griffin btw, not "Griffith"

Comment

Originally posted by cprender8
                        Portis was asking to be the highest paid running back before his contract ended,
                        No he didnt, he demanded to be the highest paid back in NFL history and said he wouldnt accept anything else. He said he didnt feel going to training camp was right for him because he wasnt getting paid enough. Ya, really sounds like a guy i want leading my team.

Comment

Zeo, I feel your pain man. This trade will set the Broncos back a couple of years. Anybody who thinks this trade has upgrades our team is an imbecile, plain and simple. We've sacrificed the only threat on our offense for one defensive player. Right now our defense is not better because we'll lose Gold and Mobley might not be back. We still have no defensive pass rush. I don't see where this move has improved us. Our offense wouldn't scare the Cardinals defensive unit right now. Zeo, you are 100% right. We gave Bailey a contract that was 13 million dollars higher then the one Portis got from the 'Skins. We would have saved money and kept our only offensive threat, if we would have just given Portis the money he deserved. I laugh when Bowlen says stuff like, "You can't just renegotiate a contract when you are half way through it." What a moron. HEY PAT, you redid Griese and TD's contracts before they were done!!! I guarantee all of you that Portis has another stellar year next year and proves that the Broncos system is not perfect. I also guarantee you that if Shanahan doesn't get off his ass and start signing some worth while free agents, that we will not, I repeat, NOT make the playoffs this year. This trade would be like if the Cowboys gave away Emmitt Smith in his 2nd or 3rd year. Stupid, idiotic, foolish, arrogant, and moronic.

Comment

Originally posted by thehoot79
                            Zeo, I feel your pain man. This trade will set the Broncos back a couple of years. Anybody who thinks this trade has upgrades our team is an imbecile, plain and simple. We've sacrificed the only threat on our offense for one defensive player. Right now our defense is not better because we'll lose Gold and Mobley might not be back. We still have no defensive pass rush. I don't see where this move has improved us. Our offense wouldn't scare the Cardinals defensive unit right now. Zeo, you are 100% right. We gave Bailey a contract that was 13 million dollars higher then the one Portis got from the 'Skins. We would have saved money and kept our only offensive threat, if we would have just given Portis the money he deserved. I laugh when Bowlen says stuff like, "You can't just renegotiate a contract when you are half way through it." What a moron. HEY PAT, you redid Griese and TD's contracts before they were done!!! I guarantee all of you that Portis has another stellar year next year and proves that the Broncos system is not perfect. I also guarantee you that if Shanahan doesn't get off his ass and start signing some worth while free agents, that we will not, I repeat, NOT make the playoffs this year. This trade would be like if the Cowboys gave away Emmitt Smith in his 2nd or 3rd year. Stupid, idiotic, foolish, arrogant, and moronic.
                            oh god where do i start. First of all read my post above yours.

Second-Our system can make almost anyone gain 1200 yards. Portis is over rated

third- If you think Portis is a hall of famer you have got to be kidding. Hes played 2 years.

fourth- dont talk to Pat here he cant hear you

fifth- If you compare Clinton Portis to Emmit smith thats just crazy

sixth- your quote "we will not make the playoffs" Thats the spirt

seventh- Q

eighth- Defence wins superbowls!

ninth- where has clinton portis got us the last few years. You say hes carried our team. K, where has he carried it to?

tenth- only offence threat? How about Plummer, Smith, Q, Lelie, Sharpe, and most important our O-Line

eleventh-

Comment

i hope he would redo the contracts of davis and griese after davis got injured and griese sucked!

Comment

Working...
                              X