Portis Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

>>secondary was our WEAKEST AREA last year<<

Yes, our secondary was our weakest area last year, but we didn't have to trade a phenomenal player like Portis to get the help we needed.

>>We had the #1 RUSHING ATTACK last year......... and it didn't even get us out the freakin 1st round<<

This year we won't have a rushing attack and we'll miss the playoffs altogether.

>>It WASN'T PORTIS ALONE that accumalated all those rushing yards anyway.<<

Portis rushed for over 1,500 yards in each of the last 2 seasons. That's pretty damn close.

>>Broncos played the Chiefs x2 Raiders x2 Chargers x2 browns bengals bears and lions, thats 10 EASIER GAMES to have successful rushing against.<<

Are you saying that Portis isn't that good just because the Broncos had an easier schedule last year? Give me a break. He rushed for over 100 yards against the PATRIOTS.

>>We got our ASSES KICKED in the playoffs because of poor secondary play.<<

We got our ASSES KICKED in the playoffs because Shanahan didn't have his team ready to play. Our secondary did just fine the 1st time we played Indy.

>>The team that WON THE SUPER BOWL had NO RUSHING GAME, but a GREAT DEFENSE.<<

Antowain Smith was a pretty decent RB.

Comment

Re: N

Originally posted by Return of Lava

1) secondary was our WEAKEST AREA last year.
      2) we had the #1 RUSHING ATTACK last year.........and it didnt even get us out the freakin 1st round
      3) It WASNT PORTIS ALONE that accumalated all those rushing yards anyway
      4) Broncos played the Chiefs x2 Raiders x2 Chargers x2 Browns Bengals Bears and Lions, thats 10 EASIER GAMES to have successful rushing against
      5) We got our ASSES KICKED in the playoffs because of poor secondary play.
      6) The team that WON THE SUPERBOWL had NO RUSHING GAME, but a GREAT DEFENSE!

If you deny ANY of those, you a dummy, plain and simple. The trade addresses all these situations in a positive way, it wont set us back it may boost us into finally sucumbing to the SB formula of the last few years. I dont know about yall, but if its working for teams like the bucs and pats, i am willing to also change from running prowess, to defensive prowess to get a ring, any smart fan would agree.
      1. Secondary should be improved but it cost you your most productive runner, biggest offensive threat, your best player, one of the top 5 players in the NFL, and potentially your team and NFL career rushing leader.

2. Didn't make it out the 1st round last year (talk about ungrateful)--well, losing your best player could very likely knock you out of the playoffs all together (how does 6-10 sound?)

I don't know about yall, but if its working for teams like the bucs and pats, I am willing to also change from running prowess, to defensive prowess to get a ring"

Keep dreaming. Neither the Bucs or Pats gave away their best player to build their SB teams. In fact, QB Tom Brady is their two time SB MVP. The Pats defense may be what got them there but Brady is clearly their leader and "best player". No way will the Pats even consider trading Brady--not even for the best defender in the NFL (Ray Lewis, Derrick Brooks, etc.). As far as the Bucs is concerned, they had 6 or more pro bowlers on their defense and they didn't chop off a leg to build an arm. With the addition of Champ, the Broncos are still about 4 pro bowlers away from having the dominating defense that can win a championship.

Comment

Re: Re: N

Originally posted by Derock
        1. Secondary should be improved but it cost you your most productive runner, biggest offensive threat, your best player, one of the top 5 players in the NFL, and potentially your team and NFL career rushing leader.
        I don't know why people are so big on the "our rb is the best in the NFL" crap! How many SB's did Barry get the Lions to? Who gives a rat? Is that your only reasoning? I'm not into bragging about having the 'best' rb in the league if he's going to break up the team so he can be the 'best paid' rb in the league. Your team can have that distinction - be my guest!
        "It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
        tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of
        men."

-- Samuel Adams

sigpicJacks RULE!!!!!!

Comment

Derock your reasoning is just God Aweful, 6-10 are you kidding me, With most of our team staying intact, except for Portis, Jesus. I mean when we lost the Greatest player for the broncos(John Elway), and probally one of the greatest defenders (Steve Atwater), and started a Brian Griese, who had never started, and then gets thrown into the starting job of what looked to be a short lived Dynasty, that was the worst year the Broncos have seen in a while, granted the Dark ages of the Broncos (wade phillips) and we still went 8-8. Come on now guy 6-10, if we go 6-10 I think we should fire Mike Shannahan and give you not only the head coaching job but GM status, fire lunquist, and give you responsibility to you, because im sure you would do a damn finer job.
          New England Patriots GM

Comment

Broncos going 6-10 this year? NO Playoff? What the hell are you on? Tom Brady is not as good as you think. If you think brady is good maybe you are on the wrong board. The Pats barely beat us on Monday night last year with our 3rd astring QB. Plummer had a better year than Brady did. Just relax and have faith in shanny and ted. They know what they are doing. I for one am excited about this season. We got a dam good chance at a Superbowl run.

Always remember to blow out the flame before drinking!!!!

Comment

Portis isnt even "phenomenal" OMG how the hell did he impress you that much? He had what 1,500 yards big deal! We are talking about the Denver brocnos here, our o-line makes every RB look good. The only thing you Portis ryders have to defend him with is his stats. Without his stats you have no argument at all, and we are sitting here telling you HIS STATS ARE INFLATED CAUSE HE HAS SUCH A GREAT RB SYSTEM. You choose not to listen to that fact. After 2 years i cant believe you regard him as "phenomenal" and "the only offensive threat on the whole offense" OK sure man whatever, the broncos have no offense now. We suck we will go 6-10 right....maybe you should go coach your own team, cause i truly believe you have no idea how to make progress with a team. Portis wasnt the "only offensive threat" what a stupid thing to say. Somebody should slap you all for that stupidity. If you cant realize the LEAST amount of rushing yards we have had around here the past 7 years or so is about 1,800. Portis wasnt even around for freakin 5 of those years! Thats with about 5 different RB's, Portis chapter has ended, the book still continues. Pick up a book and learn the game of football.
              dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by jplummer16

>>The team that WON THE SUPER BOWL had NO RUSHING GAME, but a GREAT DEFENSE.<<

Antowain Smith was a pretty decent RB.
                OK, was he better than Portis? Why did he win a SB and not Portis then? A RB dont mean squat if you aint stopping people

Bottom Line just watch and see, i want to see all your faces back here after next year apologizing for being so completely stupid.
                dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: N

Originally posted by rcsodak
                  I don't know why people are so big on the "our rb is the best in the NFL" crap! How many SB's did Barry get the Lions to? Who gives a rat? Is that your only reasoning? I'm not into bragging about having the 'best' rb in the league if he's going to break up the team so he can be the 'best paid' rb in the league. Your team can have that distinction - be my guest!
                  I guess you feel much better with the "best paid" CB in the league. A CB who has never done anything to help the Broncos, practically an outsider, signs the largest contract in history for a CB and you're ok with that??? At least Portis (I thought) had a legitimate argument for wanting to be the highest paid RB after two productive years helping the Broncos win games. What was Champ's argument for wanting to be the highest paid CB--I'm the best shutdown corner in the league. Says who and what good did this do for Washington??? At least Portis lead the Broncos to the playoffs and proven he could be highly effective in the Broncos system. But instead of making Portis the highest paid RB, the Broncos spend even more money and make Champ the highest paid CB??? Makes no sense, no matter how you look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gbt31
                    Derock your reasoning is just God Aweful, 6-10 are you kidding me, With most of our team staying intact, except for Portis, Jesus. I mean when we lost the Greatest player for the broncos(John Elway), and probally one of the greatest defenders (Steve Atwater), and started a Brian Griese, who had never started, and then gets thrown into the starting job of what looked to be a short lived Dynasty, that was the worst year the Broncos have seen in a while, granted the Dark ages of the Broncos (wade phillips) and we still went 8-8. Come on now guy 6-10, if we go 6-10 I think we should fire Mike Shannahan and give you not only the head coaching job but GM status, fire lunquist, and give you responsibility to you, because im sure you would do a damn finer job.
                    except for Portis. Portis was your best player! 60+ yard TD's, 5.5 yards per carry, and 1500+ yards are not easily replaced. Broncos should have counted their blessings to have had such a great string of RBs with Portis potentially your all-time best! But instead, Shanahan and others seem to think the magic is in their system and not the players. I am one who strongly disagrees with that way of thinking. A system can compliment a players skills but far and foremost a system is only as good as the quality of players you have running the plays. I don't like the Portis trade because Portis in the Broncos system would have easily passed TD as the Broncos all-time rusher and would have also challenged or passed Emmitt Smith one day as the all-time leading rusher. Now I realize 2 years do not make a career but his first 2 years certainly indicate that he was off to an excellent start and showed no indicators that we should expect anything less than what he has already shown. I'm not so sure how Portis is going to workout in Washington (I wish him the best) but it was clear how effective he was as a runner in Denver. Shame on Denver for being willing to spend more money on an outsider than on a player who was already a major contributor to your teams success. As far as the coaching job statement you made, I could never in my wildest dreams replace Shanahan but I think I could have done a better job with this trade. Thats a scary thought which leads me to believe Shanahan knows something about Portis that hasn't been revealed. This trade makes absolutely no sense so Shanahan must have a crystal ball or psychic that told him Portis's career/stock will be all down hill from here. When its all said and done, its all going to make sense to me and Shanahan will smile and say to all who doubted him, I told you I knew what I was doing. This would be the fairytale ending of what appeared to be a nightmare deal.

Comment

I guess nobody would understand why portis was traded. The only thing I can say is shannhan must beleive in his system. Plus we re-sign Mike Anderson, so we still have a 1,500 yard rusher and Q. Griffin, C. Sapp is also great up an coming runners.
                      Get in were ya fit in. GO BRONCOS

Comment

Derock, there is one thing i dont think you understand. Priest Holmes, Tomlinson, Jamal Lewis, Clinton Portis, they are all good runningbacks, they all were no where near a superbowl run. Those teams lacked balance in other areas. Champ Bailey (with the redskins) Antoine Winfield Charles Woodson Chris McCallister, all those great CB's, they also lacked balance and they were no where near SB's either. You have to have balance on a team and we didnt have it cause of the secondary. Champ played on a sorry team in the Redskins, he is a great player though, he shores up our weakest area, creating balance (no matter what you say, we didnt sacrifice the run game altogether. I know you are thinking Portis was the only back who ever ran a 60+ yard gain, so i guess there is nothing I can say to you about it, just watch and see. Q and others can gain 1,500 yards in our system so the run game is NOT a new weakness). When you take into account that the Broncos produced 4 straight successful RB's in only 6 years, that included a TRULY "mediocre" RB like Olandis Gary. Q and Galloway are considered above mediocre (just look at their college numbers), so its expected of them to do better than Gary did, although Gary still produced, you see how it goes. If you don't understand by now, there is nothing any of us can say to you. This post is the correct logic of the trade right in front of your face, and you still choose to reject it. The only thing i ask is that you show your sorry face here when the brocnos prove you wrong next year, cause they will do extremely better than you expect, and you wont understand how they are doing such a good job with the "dumb trade" they made, and here I am telling you right in your face, but you keep choosing not to listen to me.

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Working...
                        X