Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Evaluating our Draft a Week Late

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by TXBRONC
    [


    I've read better.

    So we put in the rook over BVP? Let him line up under guard ?



    Chop obviously you don't know what I'm thinking. If you had read any my other posts you would know that I have said I don't see Cutler getting onto the field for a year, two at the most. Anyway even if I were to call for it I am reasonably sure Shanahan isn't going to listen to me.



    Well first off you cannot "unring" the bell. Cutler is here and the second the pick was made the controversy was built right in. The only way to remove the "locomotive" as you put is for Cutler not to be here at all and that's not going to happen. Also just because someone doesn't particularly care for Plummer doesn't mean they don't support the other veterans on the team. The two are not necessarily equal to one another.

    Just for you let me restate my position. I support whomever we have at qb. If Shanahan had gone another direction in the draft I would have been just as pleased. But the reality is he did draft Cutler and some point down the road (one maybe two years imo) Cutler will be give the keys to the car.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

    Another mindless drone that is happy with whatever stupid thing Shanny does.

    Comment


    • #47
      kay, guys...calm down before the mud slinging begins in here again. This thread was almost closed last weekend to name calling and such.

      Keep to the topic at hand, please.

      Thank you.
      sigpic
      Adopted by: Peanut

      "You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
      -Sean Payton

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Superchop7
        __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

        Another mindless drone that is happy with whatever stupid thing Shanny does.
        I had a different post in response to this and decided to change it even before I saw BFI's post.

        So I'll respond this way instead. Insults don't change the reality of who was picked Chop. I have said in other places that I wish we would have picked a defesive line sooner than we did. But that can't be changed. Although I had wished for a d-lineman sooner I havea difficult time being critical of this pick because of how Cutler graded out by the "experts" and heck even our own gurus. As I stated earlier more than likely Cutler is going to be the starting qb in one to two years from now but nothing different than alot posters have said. It's an almost for sure reality.

        It seems to me that you think although we have Cutler somehow we can "remove" from the situation, this just isn't going to happen you know this as well as anyone. I like Plummer as well but I do try to be objective in my views on him. Maybe I'm not always successful at getting that across but I do try.

        That being said, I think the drafting of this qb shows possibly two things. 1.) Its awefully hard to pass up a potential great talent like Cutler. 2.) It may very well say that the blame for offensive woes in the playoffs or otherwise can be placed one player alone.

        So if this makes me a mindless drone, then I must be in pretty good company. Posters like Topscribe, Javalon, and Dogfish have said similar things.

        Finally, Arch my apologies for hijacking your thread.
        Last edited by TXBRONC; 05-08-2006, 08:39 AM.
        John 11: 25-27

        My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams



        Thanks Snk16

        Comment


        • #49
          Your wish is our command, Madam! (gosh that sounds good )

          BC,

          No, the player still gets full salary, but as WA said, the bonuses are out of the question when on IR. Not only that, but a player about to become a FA will see his market value plummet if he is placed on IR for any reason. I believe the Pats were penalized in '04 for misusing the IR.

          As for the QB controversy that you say is inevitable, Chop, I can see your point only because Jay C. is such a talented guy. However, with QB controversies that have happened elsewhere in the league, the common denomenator is that the teams are usually cellar dwellers.
          e.g. the Bills with Losman/Holcomb,
          the Ravens with Wright/Boller,
          the Dolphins with Griese/Frerotte/Rosenfels,
          the Browns with Dilfer/Garcia/Frye,
          the Cards with McCown/Warner.

          None of these teams had made it to the Conference championship game the previous year like the Broncos have. We are in a different situation than what usually breeds QB controversy. I'm not guaranteeing that it won't happen, but I would be surprised if there is a large outcry for Cutler, a rookie, to be put in ahead of Plummer any time in the next two years. Any Broncos fan with half a brain knows he needs 3 years ideally to minimize his liability to the team as a starter.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by MTRaiderHater
            Your wish is our command, Madam! (gosh that sounds good )

            BC,

            No, the player still gets full salary, but as WA said, the bonuses are out of the question when on IR. Not only that, but a player about to become a FA will see his market value plummet if he is placed on IR for any reason. I believe the Pats were penalized in '04 for misusing the IR.

            As for the QB controversy that you say is inevitable, Chop, I can see your point only because Jay C. is such a talented guy. However, with QB controversies that have happened elsewhere in the league, the common denomenator is that the teams are usually cellar dwellers.
            e.g. the Bills with Losman/Holcomb,
            the Ravens with Wright/Boller,
            the Dolphins with Griese/Frerotte/Rosenfels,
            the Browns with Dilfer/Garcia/Frye,
            the Cards with McCown/Warner.

            None of these teams had made it to the Conference championship game the previous year like the Broncos have. We are in a different situation than what usually breeds QB controversy. I'm not guaranteeing that it won't happen, but I would be surprised if there is a large outcry for Cutler, a rookie, to be put in ahead of Plummer any time in the next two years. Any Broncos fan with half a brain knows he needs 3 years ideally to minimize his liability to the team as a starter.
            __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

            Enjoyed your post..

            It really grates my nerves that we went this route in the first place, here we are, a 13-3 team that played in the AFC Championship game last year, and we start building for the future ????

            I say "hell no" (as if my opinion means anything)

            We needed to put these guys over the top. Shanny always preaches about taking advantage of opportunities, well, the opportunity to win it all is now.

            Finally, don't kid yourself, there's going to be lots of controversy.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Superchop7
              __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

              Enjoyed your post..

              It really grates my nerves that we went this route in the first place, here we are, a 13-3 team that played in the AFC Championship game last year, and we start building for the future ????

              I say "hell no" (as if my opinion means anything)

              We needed to put these guys over the top. Shanny always preaches about taking advantage of opportunities, well, the opportunity to win it all is now.

              Finally, don't kid yourself, there's going to be lots of controversy.
              Well, if the controversy starts here, I know I'm on Plummer's side for probably 3 years. If people here start saying "down with Plummer," we just need to point to Alex Smith & the many other first year QB's who are/were liabilities to their teams because of inexperience.

              I like Cutler now, but I, like others, would have liked getting Manny Lawson or Matthias K., or Darryl Tapp at 61. I don't know if I buy the whole pressuring the QB w/o sacks phiosophy. I think putting the QB on the ground puts pressure on him in a tangible way.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by MTRaiderHater
                Well, if the controversy starts here, I know I'm on Plummer's side for probably 3 years. If people here start saying "down with Plummer," we just need to point to Alex Smith & the many other first year QB's who are/were liabilities to their teams because of inexperience.

                I like Cutler now, but I, like others, would have liked getting Manny Lawson or Matthias K., or Darryl Tapp at 61. I don't know if I buy the whole pressuring the QB w/o sacks phiosophy. I think putting the QB on the ground puts pressure on him in a tangible way.
                __________________________________________________ ____________________________________

                When his head is on a swivel things begin to break down.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Superchop7
                  When his head is on a swivel things begin to break down.
                  Why the heck do you have those annoying lines in your posts anyway??

                  Well, I agree to a point. If you can get pressure making the quarterback throw early, that is as good as a sack in a lot of ways, but if you do get pressure, it seems to me that you should also be getting SOME sacks. And the fact that we were dead last in the league last year in sacks per pass attempted faced tells me that we couldn't have been above average in pressure. I just don't buy it.

                  Also, we blitzed a LOT last year to get that pressure. I liked doing that to a point. With our very quick, fast closing, and sure tackling corners, it worked well. We rarely got burned by it, but it was a risk and we relied on it to much. Sooner or later, when you blitz too much, you will get burned if the opposition has a decent quarterback or you blitz really fails at all. What happens is that you leave your corners on an island and expect them to succeed without safety help. One missed tackle could be a huge play and you also are more vulnerable to the big play in the running game.

                  Blitzing schemes are nice, but you have to be able to get to the quarterback without blitzing at times to really have success in this league.
                  My adopted fan is dogfish

                  . . . . . . . . . . .
                  . Post Your Artwork .
                  . . . . . . . . . . .

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X