Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Words of Wisdom(Denver Post Article about the consequences of holding out.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SM19
    I don't think we have to worry about this. It's the one situation where the incentives line up in favor of Lelie playing. He'd get the playing time he wants, and he wouldn't want the stigma of being the guy who held out when he was really needed.
    But on the other hand, how would fans react to Lelie holding out and then coming back because someone got hurt. He's too good to workout with his team until he's assured a starting position. I know it's a business, but at some point you've got to be a team player. Unfortunetly for Ashley he doesn't have anything going for him right now. If he holds out: 1) the Broncos will still be better at receiver than they were last year and he won't be missed and 2)his numbers from last season aren't going to entice many teams to take a chance on him as a number 1 or 2 next season since he was perfectly healthy and didn't produce.

Ashley could very easily disappear into obscurity before the start of the 2007-08 season. How crappy would he feel if he held out his 10 weeks, then came back to a team whose winning without him and thus puts him on the inactive list for the remaining 6 games, and wins a Super Bowl without Lelie ever setting foot on the field? That situation would not only cause him to miss what would be the biggest accomplishment of his career but would totally devalue him due to the fact that Denver never missed a beat without him. That would be subtle justice!
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
    - Mythbusters

"Go America... Go Broncos"
    - Stan, South Park

I cheer for three teams EVERY WEEK! The Broncos and whoever is playing the Raiders and the Patriots.
    - Me

God Bless the United States of America!

Comment

Originally posted by Wigglesworth
      But on the other hand, how would fans react to Lelie holding out and then coming back because someone got hurt. He's too good to workout with his team until he's assured a starting position. I know it's a business, but at some point you've got to be a team player. Unfortunetly for Ashley he doesn't have anything going for him right now. If he holds out: 1) the Broncos will still be better at receiver than they were last year and he won't be missed and 2)his numbers from last season aren't going to entice many teams to take a chance on him as a number 1 or 2 next season since he was perfectly healthy and didn't produce.

Ashley could very easily disappear into obscurity before the start of the 2007-08 season. How crappy would he feel if he held out his 10 weeks, then came back to a team whose winning without him and thus puts him on the inactive list for the remaining 6 games, and wins a Super Bowl without Lelie ever setting foot on the field? That situation would not only cause him to miss what would be the biggest accomplishment of his career but would totally devalue him due to the fact that Denver never missed a beat without him. That would be subtle justice!
      ... and make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

Working...
      X