X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broncos4ever
    replied
    Originally posted by stnzed
    I have , for years, invisioned Smith stickin around w/ the Broncos as a coach. This story has dampened those hopes.
    Btw, Chris Penn is Sean Penns' "little".... or younger brother. Seriously!
    "It's casual"
    You never know about Rod Smith sticking around... Sure he says he may go back to Joplin and he might. If the right offer was made he also might move his family to Denver also. I really don't know a lot about Rod Smith the person only the football players.

Thanks all for the corrections, I appreciate them. It is now pretty late in Colorado and time for bed. Goodnight all...

Leave a comment:

• Jared
    replied
    Originally posted by stnzed
    I have , for years, invisioned Smith stickin around w/ the Broncos as a coach. This story has dampened those hopes.
    "It's casual"

That's a totally different Chris Penn. The actor Chris Penn died this year and never played football:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001606/

WR Chris Penn was a star at Tulsa. He was drafted the same year, 1994, as Gus Frerotte, his college QB. They led Tulsa to a 10-2 mark in 1992, the second best record in school history.

I am not sure, but I believe they both still hold school records.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Rod Smith

"It's casual"

Leave a comment:

• rcsodak
    replied
    Originally posted by Pipes7
    I think he's an actor now.
    Yeah! And he's a Martial Artist also.......

Leave a comment:

• rcsodak
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos4ever
    . If I remember right his daughter Joplin was with him for a charity event here in Denver - I think it was giving blood, if I remember right.
    I think her name is Vanessa.....and they're FROM Joplin.......

Leave a comment:

• pipes
    replied
    Originally posted by broncos4ever
    What I first saw in this article was the reason why Rod Smith has such terrific games against Kansas City. Especially when he was with John Elway but he has also done well without Elway.

If you notice it seems like Smith will go out of his way to have a great game against Kansas City and the reason why is they did not draft him in 1994. I am not sure of this story but it would be worth pursuing which I might. Boy what a mistake, who is Chris Penn???

Anyway this is just another way Rod gives back. He is not complaining because the Broncos have drafted a younger receiver that could take his job, no he is giving back to the community and college that he graduated from MSSU. Interesting that Keith Burns was there also. (I have a lot of respect for Keith and what he has done for our special teams)

This article also talks about some off the field family stuff, so one can get to know Rod as a person and not just a football player. If I remember right his daughter Joplin was with him for a charity event here in Denver - I think it was giving blood, if I remember right.

He also says his attitude about football and how he approaches the game.

I think he's an actor now.

Leave a comment:

• broncos4ever
    replied
    What I first saw in this article was the reason why Rod Smith has such terrific games against Kansas City. Especially when he was with John Elway but he has also done well without Elway.

If you notice it seems like Smith will go out of his way to have a great game against Kansas City and the reason why is they did not draft him in 1994. I am not sure of this story but it would be worth pursuing which I might. Boy what a mistake, who is Chris Penn???

Anyway this is just another way Rod gives back. He is not complaining because the Broncos have drafted a younger receiver that could take his job, no he is giving back to the community and college that he graduated from MSSU. Interesting that Keith Burns was there also. (I have a lot of respect for Keith and what he has done for our special teams)

This article also talks about some off the field family stuff, so one can get to know Rod as a person and not just a football player. If I remember right his daughter Joplin was with him for a charity event here in Denver - I think it was giving blood, if I remember right.

He also says his attitude about football and how he approaches the game.

Leave a comment:

• Rod Smith - Giving back to the Community but not Denver

I have some thoughts but I will throw this out for all to read... This certainly does not surprise me at all, however. Rod Smith has always shown CLASS.

http://www.carthagepress.com/article...s/03%20rod.txt

CARL JUNCTION - When the Kansas City Chiefs snubbed him in the 1994 NFL Draft, instead picking wide receiver Chris Penn, Rod Smith set his sights on making the Chiefs pay for their awful decision.

On Friday, Smith was back in Chiefs territory to dish out more payment by giving back to the community and Missouri Southern State University.

Smith, a MSSU alumnus, hosted the fifth annual Green and Gold Golf Classic at Briarbrook Country Club. There were plenty of celebrities on hand for the Classic this year. Dallas Cowboys linebacker prodigy DeMarcus Ware was on hand along with Tennessee Titans defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Jimmy Wilkerson, Broncos linebacker Keith Burns and NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series star driver Rick Crawford, just to name a few.

Former KU linebacker, and Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year, Nick Reid, fresh off of signing a rookie contract with the Chiefs, was also in attendance. In fact, Reid loved the event so much he hopes to be asked back again next year.

“Man, this has been a lot of fun,” Reid said. “I'm not real good at (golf), but I'm out here hacking. I would like to come back here again next year if I'm invited. It is really cool playing out here with Rod. He is a great player and is truly something special.”

Reid also has ties to MSSU. His girlfriend is the daughter of former MSSU All-American quarterback Skip Hale.

Smith loves coming back to the Joplin area, but not always for golf. Smith's 16-year old daughter Vanessa is a freshman at Joplin High School this year, so Smith makes his way back to the area as much as possible to be with her.

“If we get to missing each other I will call her or she will call me and then I will be like, ‘I'm flying down tomorrow,' and I will come see her and we will go out and eat lunch or something to spend time together. That is real important to me, and playing football makes it tough sometimes. We do a lot of charity stuff together and she does a lot of giving. That is important to me.

“It's kind of a big thing to some people, but to her I'm just dad.”

Smith also has two sons, Roderick and Devin. So spending time with all of his kids is very important to him.

“When I'm finished with the game I really want to catch up on time with my kids,” he said. “I really want to spend more time with my daughter and two boys.”

Asked to rate his golf game, Smith said, “I (stink).”

Well, maybe not completely. Smith used to be an avid golfer and claims he once played golf 27 days in a row. But after launching his new business, Rod Smith Development, Smith feels he may not be at the top of his game anymore.

“If I make some good shots out here today then maybe I will get back into doing it more often or something,” he said.

Friday's Classic was nothing short of a success. For the first time in the history of the Classic there were multiple celebrities on hand to support Rod and do their part to help the University. To DeMarcus Ware, the decision to come out and lend a hand in the event was a no-brainer.

“In the League it's kind of like we have a big fraternity,” Ware said. “So it's sort of like I have to do it. Rod called on me and that's what I'm here to do is help.”

Smith's teammate Keith Burns also feels it is a privilege to show his support and continue the trend of helping out fellow athletes in the NFL.

“It's really like one hand watches the other,” he added. “It's something special when you can come out here and help out a teammate. I hold a football camp in Virginia and I understand how important it is to have other guys supporting you. So I'm happy to do it any time I can.”

There were a slew of four man teams that entered the Classic, mostly Southern alumni who came to show their support of the green and gold.

Jeff Johnson, Southern graduate and president of the Missouri Southern Alumni Association, came out and entered a team because of the positive reflection the Classic has on the University.

“I graduated from Southern in ‘82 and have been coming out here and supporting the cause for several years,” Johnson said. “It's just a good act to come out here and support the program.”

Each team had an opportunity to tee-off with Smith on the fourth hole where he was waiting to take pictures and even managed to offer some veteran advice to Kansas City's Reid.

“Hey man, don't hit me this year,” Smith said with a laugh. “Just tell me your coming and you're going to hit me and I will lay down with the ball.

“No but seriously, I went undrafted too,” Smith said as he changed back into a much more serious posture. “There are a bunch of guys who got drafted when I didn't and they didn't even make it past training camp the first year. That's why I don't even watch the draft. All that matters is that you have to go out there and work. You have to play football. It doesn't matter where you were drafted because you still have to go play football.”

Smith then joked that the scout who didn't think he was good enough, “is probably unemployed right now.”

Considering he will be entering his 13th NFL season this year and is currently 15th on the all-time receiving list, the possible future Hall of Famer has good reason to think that. Especially since Penn lasted a very short time in the NFL and has been out of the league for years.

Larry Cowger, Southern alumni and current Briarbrook resident, was yet another participant in the tournament who came to show his support for Smith and his cause.

“I'm a former graduate of Southern and my three boys went there as well,” Cowger said. “I watched Rod play as a student at MSSU and remember seeing him lay out and make some amazing catches for the football team. So it's nice to come out here and support what he is trying to do. I am all about supporting the University any time I can.”

Former MSSU tight end Dan McCreary, father of Joplin tennis player Michael McCreary, starred at Southern from 1981-84 under Coach Jim Frazier, and says getting to come out and see some old friends and coaches is a really fun experience.

“I see some of the guys out here,” McCreary said. “I saw my old coach out here, Coach Frazier, and it's really good to see him. This is just a fun experience and I'm glad I get to enjoy it.”

There was definitely some rustiness on the course from some of the participants on Friday, but scores were not important.

Chiefs tight end Aaron Golliday laughed after skipping a 40-foot grounder off the tee, much to the delight of Smith who then gave Golliday a mulligan only to watch the big man slice his next shot straight into the large pond that splits the fairway. Smith also needed some time to get warmed up as well. After smashing several drives over the hill that rests on the back of the green Smith was finally able to land five of his next six shots softly on the green and near the cup.

Smith had the feel so well at one point that in good measure he bet a select few participants an exchange of weekly salaries based on who could get the closest to the pin. Smith won every time.

The event was more about having fun and supporting a good cause.

“I heard that there were a few guys out there being pro's and shooting 14-under,” Haynesworth said. “I never play so I'm not real good at it, but this was a good thing and I'm glad my agent brought it to my attention. I did have a couple of good hits out there and we had more than a few laughs. Some of the laughs were at me. Some of the laughs were at others. It was really fun.”

Perhaps Chiefs defensive end Jimmy Wilkerson summed it up the best.

“This really is a great event,” he said.

“Players are always happy to come and help other players in their hometowns. It's a good thing that they are doing here for Missouri Southern and lets everybody know that the one's out here showing their appreciation all have good hearts.”

There were definitely plenty of good hearts pumping on Friday. From those who were in charge of rounding up players, to those who cooked the lunch, made donations, signed autographs, supported their school and came out and enjoyed the day there was definitely a lot of good happening on this day.

“A lot of my buddies and guys I knew in school come up and watch me play in Kansas City and some are coming to Denver, so it's really nice to see those guys still supporting me. It almost makes it like a home game in Kansas City.

“This is not really giving back to the community because I would do it anyway,” he added. “We really want to make this thing bigger and better each and every year. I'm not really sure how long we will do it because a lot depends on the schedule and stuff, but I'm enjoying it and we want to make it bigger and better each year that we do it.

“There are a lot of people who gave a huge influence on my life in this area and I could never repay them.”
Working...
X