• WABronco
    replied
    Me?

PFW=Pro Football Weekly

You should know, right?

Leave a comment:

• Aija
    replied
    Where did you get this information? Are you just speculating ?

Leave a comment:

• WildHorse
    replied
    Originally posted by silkamilkamonic
    I do see a dropoff on offense when Cutler takes over.

He will likely be forced in because of his contract, and for every Ben Roethleberger, there are Joey Harrington and then some.

I think that we will see a significant dropoff in offensive production/effeciency.
    There's a huge difference between Harrington going to the Lions and Harrington going to the Broncos. A huge difference between going to a team that's usually competing for the playoffs and going to a bottom feeder. A huge difference between having the luxury of learning the offense, over a year or two, from one of the best offensive minds in the game, and having to start immediately for a 1-16 or 3-13 team. Consider how many times some of these teams have drafted in the top 8 slots in the draft and yet how crummy they still are. Consider how much we complain about how crummy the Broncos are in the draft and yet they have the best regular season winning position in the league. There is more to NFL success than the draft.

I think draft position and having to play for a crappy team kills more QBs than poor scouting or poor real ability ever does. The secret of success in any football position is in going to a good team and the secret of a good team is a solid organization!

Besides, I'm excited to hear that Cutler is known to have the best cannon of any of the "Big Three" QBs. There have been some times over the past few year4s that a cannon or an arm would really've been handy! If Vanderbilt is really as academically challenging a school as report, perhaps he also has the smarts.

Leave a comment:

• jhns
    replied
    Originally posted by SM19
    Come on. We won't bother playing Lelie if he holds out until week ten. By then, he'd have missed too much time to be of any use to us.
    He would still have to be in shape and training. Are you saying he doesn't know the offense by now?

Leave a comment:

• jhns
    replied
    Originally posted by Cugel
    *Sigh!*

Once again I read another thread that misses the pont. Lelie isn't coming back.

He's just not going to play for the Denver Broncos again because he "can't accept" being demoted to #3 and he "won't accept it."

He'd rather give up $1.4 million than play at the #3 WR this year!

Now, that sounds mind bogglingly stupid to you and me, but that's what he's doing.

So talking about how Lelie should be the #3 WR, etc just misses the point.

He isn't coming back. And the team can't make him.

He's almost totally worthless as trade bait right now, because teams:

1. wonder whether he's going to be a problem for them if they acquire him since he started acting up and demanding a trade -- that doesn't make them like him more.
    2. don't feel they have to offer anything because Denver will be forced to release Lelie anyway, either now or when he becomes a FA next year.
    3. Will have to work out a new contract with him anyway because he's set to become a FA next year, so his contract is up.
    4. Don't really know whether he'd be worth much in any case since he's been a disappointment in Denver (according to his statistics and according to opposing GMs like S.F.'s, don't argue with me).

Conclusion: it's better to wait until after the season to pick Lelie up as a FA than to offer anything for him now. He's not such an elite player that teams are desparate to sign him to begin with.

Since Denver certainly is going to lose him one way or another after the season if not before, why not just wait and see if Lelie will sign an incentive laden contract for the veteran minimum as a FA?

Thus, he has little or no value in trade. The Broncos can make him sit out the season, but Lelie has threatened to do that anyway. So, if they can get a ham sandwich on rye for him at this point they take it. But, I doubt they get anything at all.
    Umm, if Lelie doesn't get traded he does have to come play. If he sits out the entire season he is not allowed to go onto another team. If he decides to sit out till week 10 then come back we would still have him for the last 6 games. If they decide to put him in the last 6 games and playoffs then he will have to perform because if he doesn't and just slacks off figuring he doesn't want to be there anyways then noone is going to sign him. He would be commiting career suicide. I'm sure he would get on a team but his contracts would be for the minimum and noone would want to start a bum until he proved himself so he would be right back in the same position he is here and now with the next team he is on.

Leave a comment:

• Broncosinindy
    replied

He will likely be forced in because of his contract, and for every Ben Roethleberger, there are Joey Harrington and then some.

I think that we will see a significant dropoff in offensive production/effeciency.

the problem i have with this is.. A. YOU do not know how cutler will preform.. Remember when we picked up jake noone thought he would be this good.

he will get a nice chunk of change but from what i see and hear is that he really has a desire to learn and play ..and well shanny did with Brian Griese tell he hurt himself..Tommy maddoz was brought in way to early and never got to see time n the field.

you cannot tell me what he will do in denver.. what he did in college is now null and void.. just like every other rookie he has to come in and compete ... he will get time to come in and learn the offense this year.. and just concentrate on this offense .. with this pick denver has a chance to sabalize th QB situation for the next 10-15 years or there aboutsthat way when jake does retire or gets beat out we can still be fireing on all cylenders.. and maybe not but i think its definetly worth the risk

Leave a comment:

• Cugel
    replied
    I would rather lose him to free agency next year, and have a possibly exploding offense this year with another run to the SuperBowl, then losing him for a 7th rounder.

If this really is a buisness move for Lelie, he should be able to put his problems aside during Sundays and play games and be effective.

And if that's the case, Denver could have an amazing offense this year. I'll take that risk for a SuperBowl run, and then lose him to free agency.

This team has a short window to work with, and next year would be as good of year as any to make that final run before going through a rebuilding process, no matter how small it is.
    *Sigh!*

Once again I read another thread that misses the pont. Lelie isn't coming back.

He's just not going to play for the Denver Broncos again because he "can't accept" being demoted to #3 and he "won't accept it."

He'd rather give up $1.4 million than play at the #3 WR this year!

Now, that sounds mind bogglingly stupid to you and me, but that's what he's doing.

So talking about how Lelie should be the #3 WR, etc just misses the point.

He isn't coming back. And the team can't make him.

He's almost totally worthless as trade bait right now, because teams:

1. wonder whether he's going to be a problem for them if they acquire him since he started acting up and demanding a trade -- that doesn't make them like him more.
    2. don't feel they have to offer anything because Denver will be forced to release Lelie anyway, either now or when he becomes a FA next year.
    3. Will have to work out a new contract with him anyway because he's set to become a FA next year, so his contract is up.
    4. Don't really know whether he'd be worth much in any case since he's been a disappointment in Denver (according to his statistics and according to opposing GMs like S.F.'s, don't argue with me).

Conclusion: it's better to wait until after the season to pick Lelie up as a FA than to offer anything for him now. He's not such an elite player that teams are desparate to sign him to begin with.

Since Denver certainly is going to lose him one way or another after the season if not before, why not just wait and see if Lelie will sign an incentive laden contract for the veteran minimum as a FA?

Thus, he has little or no value in trade. The Broncos can make him sit out the season, but Lelie has threatened to do that anyway. So, if they can get a ham sandwich on rye for him at this point they take it. But, I doubt they get anything at all.

Leave a comment:

• underrated29
    replied
    if shanny can keep the weapons at wr, and keep the running game going as it always does, even if cutler comes in, it shouldn't be that noticable of a drop.

he can throw the easy 5 yard slants, the running game will help him out, and if needed we can try the long ball, but keeping the o easy and simple til he gets the hang of it should be just fine imo

Leave a comment:

• WABronco
    replied

...as in part of the developmental process? Or a permanent dropoff?

Leave a comment:

• silkamilkamonic
    replied
    Originally posted by jhns
    There won't be a rebuilding process. We have good youth at all positions now except maybe safety. I'm sure it wont be that hard to replace the safety and I don't think that would qualify as rebuilding anyways. Shanny has managed this team well and now it looks good for the next 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• jhns
    replied
    I would rather lose him to free agency next year, and have a possibly exploding offense this year with another run to the SuperBowl, then losing him for a 7th rounder.

If this really is a buisness move for Lelie, he should be able to put his problems aside during Sundays and play games and be effective.

And if that's the case, Denver could have an amazing offense this year. I'll take that risk for a SuperBowl run, and then lose him to free agency.

This team has a short window to work with, and next year would be as good of year as any to make that final run before going through a rebuilding process, no matter how small it is.
    There won't be a rebuilding process. We have good youth at all positions now except maybe safety. I'm sure it wont be that hard to replace the safety and I don't think that would qualify as rebuilding anyways. Shanny has managed this team well and now it looks good for the next 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• silkamilkamonic
    replied
    Originally posted by SM19
    Losing him via free agency is not a risk, it's a guarantee. We might as well take what little we can get now. I'm looking for us to swap him for another unhappy player, but frankly, I'd accept a seventh-round pick at this point.

Leave a comment:

• silkamilkamonic
    replied
    Originally posted by WABronco
    • Word out of Denver is that David Terrell, a disappointment to this point in his career, will move up to the No. 3 wide receiver job in Denver if Ashley Lelie's trade demands are met, as expected. Terrell showed up to the offseason workout program in great shape and has shown a better understanding of Denver's complex offense after riding the pine last season.
    "as expected"? Are they going to plan on 'giving' Lelie away? Because I don't Lelie worth more then a 4th rounder at this point, and if that's the situation, just keep him for the year and risk losing him via free agency.

I wonder if Darius Watts will just be released?

• After showing interest in Jamal Lewis in free agency and admitting they would've taken Minnesota running back Laurence Maroney with the 15th pick had they not traded up to get quarterback Jay Cutler, it came as a mild surprise that the Broncos didn't add a runner in the draft. But the team likes the potential of Cedric Cobbs, who sits behind Tatum Bell and Ron Dayne on the depth chart, and Denver, with more weapons in the passing game, will likely open up the offense a bit more under new assistant head coach Mike Heimerdinger. Look for more three-wide receiver sets to be worked into the system.
    Laurence Maroney? to Cedric Cobbs? Shanahan should never draft a RB on the first day, ever again.

• Quarterback Jake Plummer on the Broncos' decision to trade up to select Vanderbilt's Cutler with the 11th pick: "I talked with Mike [Shanahan], and I think I would have made the same pick. Especially with this organization, when are you going to get a chance to pick that high again? Hopefully not in a long, long time. So when you have a chance to get a guy like that, you've got to jump on that."
    Hopefully Cutler will play extremely well on the field, because he certainly won't be my favorite Denver Bronco.

But whatever Denver feels they need to do to win.

Leave a comment:

• WABronco
    started a topic PFW Whispers

PFW Whispers

• Word out of Denver is that David Terrell, a disappointment to this point in his career, will move up to the No. 3 wide receiver job in Denver if Ashley Lelie's trade demands are met, as expected. Terrell showed up to the offseason workout program in great shape and has shown a better understanding of Denver's complex offense after riding the pine last season.

• Sources in Denver say the Broncos believe they got a steal in seventh-rounder Greg Eslinger out of Minnesota, who could be the eventual replacement for longtime center Tom Nalen and fits the system perfectly with his smarts and agility.

• After showing interest in Jamal Lewis in free agency and admitting they would've taken Minnesota running back Laurence Maroney with the 15th pick had they not traded up to get quarterback Jay Cutler, it came as a mild surprise that the Broncos didn't add a runner in the draft. But the team likes the potential of Cedric Cobbs, who sits behind Tatum Bell and Ron Dayne on the depth chart, and Denver, with more weapons in the passing game, will likely open up the offense a bit more under new assistant head coach Mike Heimerdinger. Look for more three-wide receiver sets to be worked into the system.

• Quarterback Jake Plummer on the Broncos' decision to trade up to select Vanderbilt's Cutler with the 11th pick: "I talked with Mike [Shanahan], and I think I would have made the same pick. Especially with this organization, when are you going to get a chance to pick that high again? Hopefully not in a long, long time. So when you have a chance to get a guy like that, you've got to jump on that."
Working...
X