Next Good Pass Rushing DE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by topscribe
    Well, I have to side with JR a little on Tater, Dog.

If Tater wants to live up to his lofty draft status and self-predicitons . . . well, it's time.

It's time . . .

(Oops! Sorry, Broncs2bowl, about the distraction. Now, back to the DEs.)

-----
    TOP, imo the criticism you direct at tater is not on the same level as what JR says. . . . there is a difference between constructive and destructive criticism, and i rank a lot of what JR says as the latter (aka bashing). . . . JMO!!

you guys defend jake despite his imperfections (i do too, sometimes), and i will continue to defend tater despite his imperfections-- i strongly believe that he is a valuable member of this team!! 1000 yards and 8 TDs last year agrees with me. . . .

OK, back on topic. . . . .

Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
      BFI, i don't think anyone is saying that our defense as a whole is gonna suck, or anything close to it. . . . but the pass rush was definitely the achilles heel of an otherwise very good unit last year, and a lot of us think that we didn't do near enough to address it. . . . .
      I believe most knowledgeable fans feel this way!

Some of the top LB's and DB's in the game pretty good run stuffer, but the pass rush from the DL was non existent last year.

While they have picked up a couple for folks they are either PS or raw rookies and it is only coach hype as we speak.

Comment

Yes . . .

Originally posted by kmartin575
        I'm just saying the college level is not the same as the NFL. Chris Gocong had I believe 23 sacks in Division I-AA but he is not even going to be able to play DE in the NFL. The Eagles have converted him to linebacker. Until a college player comes in and performs I usually will call the NFL player a better player.
        That's what I was about to say. Under those circumstances, Mario Williams is not as good as Mathis until Williams proves his worth.

-----

Comment

Originally posted by JRWIZ
          I believe most knowledgeable fans feel this way!

While they have picked up a couple for folks they are either PS or raw rookies and it is only coach hype as we speak.

agreed. . .

it's not that we don't want them to do well-- just a pragmatic wait-and-see approach. . . . i personally won't put faith in guys who mostly didn't get it done last year to do it this year until they prove otherwise. . . to me, lang should equal pryce's production, but really that's no big thing. . . . if he can exceed it great, but i won't get my hopes up until i see it on the field. . . . and as for jackson and dumerville, both are completely unproven, and i will regard them with a healthy dose of skepticism unless they give me reason to feel otherwise. . . . in the salary cap era, every team has holes, and DL is clearly our major one. . . .
          Officially Objectified by the GPA

rest in peace, darrent williams and damien nash-- you will be missed!!

Comment

That's what I was about to say. Under those circumstances, Mario Williams is not as good as Mathis until Williams proves his worth.

-----
            That's a fair statement. Courtney Brown was a #1 overall pick and while he has somewhat saved his career in Denver he is still nowhere near the player he was supposed to be coming out of college.
            "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Situational guy at best? There have been talks out of Indy this year (I read an article out of an Indianapolis newspaper) that the Colts might try to use Mathis as a starter at DE.
              Raheem Brock is their starter at LE. Maybe they'll try him at LOLB to replace Thornton, but there's no way they can afford to have him and his 230 pound body going up against the Max Starks and George Fosters of the world, full-time.

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
                Raheem Brock is their starter at LE. Maybe they'll try him at LOLB to replace Thornton, but there's no way they can afford to have him and his 230 pound body going up against the Max Starks and George Fosters of the world, full-time.
                I know it doesn't sound very probable but I read it in an Indianapolis newspaper. In a cover 2 smaller players often flourish. If I can find a link to the article I will do so. The article also said they Colts were considering moving Brock inside to DT permanently.
                "And we all know that stats don't mean anything if you don't have the wins to back them up"-ChampWJ

It's a good thing Jay Cutler was a proven winner in college. Oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

I know it doesn't sound very probable but I read it in an Indianapolis newspaper. In a cover 2 smaller players often flourish. If I can find a link to the article I will do so. The article also said they Colts were considering moving Brock inside to DT permanently.
                  Moving Brock inside makes sense, but I just can't imagine starting a 230 pound end on the strongside...

Comment

This is true to a degree, but there is a limit.

Besides that, the Colts were already soft enough against the run. I mean, they allowed 4.4 yards per carry. They'd be wise not to let themselves get any softer.
                    My adopted fan is dogfish

. . . . . . . . . . .
                    . Post Your Artwork .
                    . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

In regards to Dumervil, he's almost 6'0 - and does weigh almost 260 pounds, (257 is what he weighed in at the combine, etc.). I'm not going to knock him for his size, because many people, including myself, can go down the list of "smaller" guys who have had success in the NFL. Also, someone brought up Dumervil's speed. Uh, he's a DE, who cares about the 40? He was injured when he ran his 40 too, and he ran a 4.75. Not too bad, but at campus, he was able to run a 4.68. He has a very quick first step though and great burst, which is by far more important than his 40 time. He has a nose for the ball and can get to the quarterback.

As mentioned in other threads I've read, what sets Dumervil off from the typical, smaller lineman is his arm size. His arms are extremely long for his size, he has a wingspan a 6'4 or 6'5 defensive end has. That's one key to his success. Sure, he hasn't played against top competition, but what he did in college was special. He's been very productive, and I feel his best years of football are ahead of him.

Do I think Dumveril will be an every-down end from his first game to the end of his career? No. However, I do feel he has the potential to do so and in a situational role (3rd downs, etc.) I feel he can get quite a few sacks this year, more than any of our guys last year. Heck, if Dumervil ends the season with 25 tackles and 4 sacks, I'll consider that a success, because it's more than what any defensive lineman was able to do last year.

Knock Dumervil for his size all you want, but he gives it 100%, has all the intangibles, has a great burst, is a team leader and most of all, he's got heart. I'm sure he's heard the size stuff more than enough, and I think having a chip on your shoulder going into the NFL can be a good thing. I hope he proves all his doubters wrong, even fans on this board. Why? Because that's bad news for the rest of the league and extremely good news for us.

It'll be interesting to see how he does in training camp. I cannot wait to see him on the field. He has the production, and besides size (really just height), he has the measureables. I think he can be special, I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by dogfish
                        TOP, imo the criticism you direct at tater is not on the same level as what JR says. . . . there is a difference between constructive and destructive criticism, and i rank a lot of what JR says as the latter (aka bashing). . . . JMO!!

you guys defend jake despite his imperfections (i do too, sometimes), and i will continue to defend tater despite his imperfections-- i strongly believe that he is a valuable member of this team!! 1000 yards and 8 TDs last year agrees with me. . . .

OK, back on topic. . . . .

When the guy becomes more than a home run threat that can carry the ball more than 8-12 times a game, when he can effectively pick up a blitz, and can catch passes out of the backfield.

He will finally live up to everyone's expectations.

Till then I call a spade a spade. Not even average back.

Comment

Originally posted by JRWIZ
                          When the guy becomes more than a home run threat that can carry the ball more than 8-12 times a game, when he can effectively pick up a blitz, and can catch passes out of the backfield.

He will finally live up to everyone's expectations.

Till then I call a spade a spade. Not even average back.
                          Come on now...

How does an "average" back rack up nearly 1,000 yards and 8 td's in a TWO BACK SYSTEM?

He is what he is though, I agree. Until he can prove he can carry the ball 20 times a game, he'll only be the league's best home-run threat.

Comment

Tatum has some learning to do and he can improve in several areas, but to not even call him average, well, I think that'd be lying to yourself. If we didn't have Tatum last year, we might have not gotten has far as we did. Offensively, he won us the Redskin game last year and there are several times where he made game-breaking runs that helped us out a lot. Average backs don't pile up near 1,000 yards on what, 175 carries and have 8 touchdowns, when splitting carries.

Chances are, we won't see an everydown back here in Denver this year and we'll more than likely use Bell and Dayne in a 1-2 punch, much like last year. Yep, Tatum has been at his best when his legs are fresh and has showed he's been very effective when carrying less than 15 times a game, but does that mean that's all he can handle? To me, not so much - and I do believe he can carry the rock 20 times a game.

If we handed Bell the ball 20-25 times a game, I think he'd be just as productive as some of the best backs in the league. We'll just have to see. My bet is that we'll use the two-back system this year, and I don't think that is a result of our backs not being able to carry the load, but the fact that it's very effective.
                            Last edited by Dream; 05-15-2006, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
                              Come on now...

How does an "average" back rack up nearly 1,000 yards and 8 td's in a TWO BACK SYSTEM?

He is what he is though, I agree. Until he can prove he can carry the ball 20 times a game, he'll only be the league's best home-run threat.
                              JR was not talking about Tater's running ability. And I agree with JR regarding what he was talking about: blocking and pass-catching. I'm not going the "average" route because we have not defined "average" as it applies to Tater's position. But he does need to become better where he is weak.

That point being, is Tater a good running back, or just a good runner? There is a difference. And we need a good running back.

-----

Comment

JR was not talking about Tater's running ability. And I agree with JR regarding what he was talking about: blocking and pass-catching. I'm not going the "average" route because we have not defined "average" as it applies to Tater's position. But he does need to become better where he is weak.

That point being, is Tater a good running back, or just a good runner? There is a difference. And we need a good running back.

-----
                                I'm glad someone else looks at it like that....................Bell is a good runner but he isn't really the type of Runningback we want if you ask me. But, I'm hoping he really comes through this season. 5:00.................time to clock out..............later

Comment

Working...
                                X