Plummer forced to prove himself again in Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plummer forced to prove himself again in Denver

Just found this on RealFootball 365. I thought both sides of the St. Jake discussion would enjoy it...

The NFL Draft was undoubtedly a disappointment to Denver Broncos Pro Bowl quarterback Jake Plummer, as he was forced to watch the organization move up four picks in the first round to select former Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler.

Since Cutler was picked 11th overall, he will likely be the team's starter by the beginning of the 2008 season at the latest right? Not if Plummer has anything to do with it.

Surprisingly, the formerly mistake-prone Plummer led the Broncos to an astounding 13-3 regular season record last season, while tossing 18 touchdowns compared to just seven interceptions.

In fact, it was Plummer's economical decisionmaking skills that were among the Broncos' chief reasons for making it all the way to the AFC Championship Game. Even though the Broncos were blown out in that game by the Pittsburgh Steelers , their year still far exceeded preseason expectations.

Despite all Plummer did for the organization in 2005, Broncos GM Ted Sundquist and head coach Mike Shanahan believed Cutler was too promising to pass on.

They were so bent on acquiring a quarterback in the draft's first round that they tried to move all the way up to No. 8, the Buffalo Bills' pick, and select former USC Heisman winner Matt Leinart. Since the Bills refused to budge from their pick, the Broncos were stuck with their second option, Cutler.

Now that Cutler is in the fold, Plummer can ill-afford to get off to a rough start next season. The Broncos, who many peg as a Super Bowl contender, have high expectations for 2006, especially at the quarterback position.

Plummer needs to duplicate or better his season from last year in order to maintain the starting position until at least 2007.

The Broncos' plan is believed by many to include Cutler at quarterback in '08, after sitting for two years behind Plummer. However, since Plummer is only 31, he may have an opportunity to lock the position down for at least a few more years, much like Drew Brees attempted to do in San Diego.

Although Brees was excellent for two straight years with the Chargers, they elected not to re-sign him this offseason, handing the job over to 2004 first-round pick Philip Rivers. It worked out great anyway for Brees, as he signed a 6-year, $60 million contract with the New Orleans Saints .

There may not be a Brees-esque contract in Plummer's future, but there may be plenty of bright things still on "The Snake's" horizon. After all, the veteran finally came of age last season, and many of the all-time great NFL quarterbacks have experienced great success into their mid to late 30's.

Perhaps Plummer can go to another team in a couple years and duplicate the Green Bay Packers ' Brett Favre in terms of longevity, while the Broncos attempt to make Cutler into their next John Elway.
    sigpic

If I had a buck for everyone one of these threads.....Inflation would be sky rocketing.
    "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

Originally posted by broncos_mtnman
      Just found this on RealFootball 365. I thought both sides of the St. Jake discussion would enjoy it...

The NFL Draft was undoubtedly a disappointment to Denver Broncos Pro Bowl quarterback Jake Plummer, as he was forced to watch the organization move up four picks in the first round to select former Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler.

Since Cutler was picked 11th overall, he will likely be the team's starter by the beginning of the 2008 season at the latest right? Not if Plummer has anything to do with it.

Surprisingly, the formerly mistake-prone Plummer led the Broncos to an astounding 13-3 regular season record last season, while tossing 18 touchdowns compared to just seven interceptions.

In fact, it was Plummer's economical decisionmaking skills that were among the Broncos' chief reasons for making it all the way to the AFC Championship Game. Even though the Broncos were blown out in that game by the Pittsburgh Steelers , their year still far exceeded preseason expectations.

Despite all Plummer did for the organization in 2005, Broncos GM Ted Sundquist and head coach Mike Shanahan believed Cutler was too promising to pass on.

They were so bent on acquiring a quarterback in the draft's first round that they tried to move all the way up to No. 8, the Buffalo Bills' pick, and select former USC Heisman winner Matt Leinart. Since the Bills refused to budge from their pick, the Broncos were stuck with their second option, Cutler.

Now that Cutler is in the fold, Plummer can ill-afford to get off to a rough start next season. The Broncos, who many peg as a Super Bowl contender, have high expectations for 2006, especially at the quarterback position.

Plummer needs to duplicate or better his season from last year in order to maintain the starting position until at least 2007.

The Broncos' plan is believed by many to include Cutler at quarterback in '08, after sitting for two years behind Plummer. However, since Plummer is only 31, he may have an opportunity to lock the position down for at least a few more years, much like Drew Brees attempted to do in San Diego.

Although Brees was excellent for two straight years with the Chargers, they elected not to re-sign him this offseason, handing the job over to 2004 first-round pick Philip Rivers. It worked out great anyway for Brees, as he signed a 6-year, $60 million contract with the New Orleans Saints .

There may not be a Brees-esque contract in Plummer's future, but there may be plenty of bright things still on "The Snake's" horizon. After all, the veteran finally came of age last season, and many of the all-time great NFL quarterbacks have experienced great success into their mid to late 30's.

Perhaps Plummer can go to another team in a couple years and duplicate the Green Bay Packers ' Brett Favre in terms of longevity, while the Broncos attempt to make Cutler into their next John Elway.

Though I am not as solid in my position about jake as the Infamous Mountain Man. I have to say he has his points about Jake. A while ago I posted a comment about the fact that Jake has been around for 10 (11?) years. He might not have it in him to be any better. Last year is probably as good a Jake gets. If we get any farther this year it will not be because Jake has gotten better, it is because his surrounding cast steps up at the opportune moments. I do see a huge upside to Cutler. I believe that he will push Jake to keep his job by performing at least as well as he did last year. I am not stupid enough to think that Cutler can come in and take over right away and be the next Rothlesberger, but I do think he will be a good investment! Good post Mountain man! Heres to Jake doing better and Cutler being what we all hope he is!
      Broncos! When it absolutely, positively has to be delivered by ground over night!

Officially Objectified by the GPA! I am moving Up!!!!

Comment

Plummer should have no problem doing a fine job for Denver in 2006. I expect him to lead his team to the Super Bowl.

I think it was a good idea to pick a QB in this year's draft. Get that QB ready for the future. Cutler must learn the Broncos system in order to perform well in it.

As I do not consider myself a St. Jake follower, I don't take sides. I'm going to pull for whoever is the starter and can lead the Broncos to a few Super Bowl wins. Hopefully, the next Super Bowl win will be for the 2006/2007 season.

By the way Mtnman, since one side is called the St. Jake, then I wonder if you are calling your side the Cultler or JayCult or CultJay.
        (kidding on my part of course)
        Emancipate your mind!
        The People's Poster

Comment

Plummer must prove? No, like every other rookie Cutler will have to prove he isn't a bust.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Comment

Well, this quote tells you right off the bat that they don't know the full story. Plummer said he didn't watch the draft and didn't know about the Cutler pick until after the fact when his brother or somebody called to tell him.

I'd like to know what their source is on this one. Surely they aren't basing this on the ESPN crew postulating during the draft. As far as I know, the Broncos have not said who they were targeting at #8.

I really hope they weren't dumb enough to be going after an immobile QB.

The Broncos' plan is believed by many to include Cutler at quarterback in '08, after sitting for two years behind Plummer. However, since Plummer is only 31, he may have an opportunity to lock the position down for at least a few more years...
            While the Broncos have the right to keep Cutler on the bench indefinitely, I think it would be quite unfair to keep a top prospect sitting for "several" years. He should hopefully have a bright future and shouldn't waste away riding the pine.

Of course, that's part of why I didn't think the Broncos would use their top pick on a QB. And I really can't believe that Cutler won't be given a shot later than the '08 season, possibly '07.

...much like Drew Brees attempted to do in San Diego.

The Brees/Rivers situation should not be compared to the Plummer/Cutler scenario. Rivers was drafted with the hope of him replacing Brees right away. It was his holdout that screwed his chances and let Brees break out. Cutler, on the other hand, is not expected to challenge Plummer this year and, if you believe this article, possibly not for several years.

And that doesn't even take into account that the Chargers have/had salary cap space that the Broncos never seem to have that can be wasted on two high-priced QBs. I thinks it's just a misplaced comparison altogether.

But thanks for the read anyway.
            "You can't take the sky from me..."
            ------
            "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon

The Brees/Rivers situation should not be compared to the Plummer/Cutler scenario. Rivers was drafted with the hope of him replacing Brees right away. It was his holdout that screwed his chances and let Brees break out. Cutler, on the other hand, is not expected to challenge Plummer this year and, if you believe this article, possibly not for several years.

And that doesn't even take into account that the Chargers have/had salary cap space that the Broncos never seem to have that can be wasted on two high-priced QBs. I thinks it's just a misplaced comparison altogether.

But thanks for the read anyway.
              Also, Brees had a shoulder injury, which also factored in to the Chargers decision i'm sure.

I think Cutler has to prove he can play before we can even guess when he'll be taking over, if ever.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Comment

Thanks for the find and read, Mtnman.

I'm not too impressed with some of the suppositions on that site, though.

For instance:

1. Denver was trying hard to get Leinart -- According to Sundquist, the Broncos wanted Cutler all along.

2. Denver might unload Lelie to San Diego for a 4th or 5th (From "Denver Needs to Rid Themselves of Lelie") -- Oh yeah, like Denver is going to run right over to who may be their stiffest competition in the AFCW and hand Lelie over to them.

3. Denver will regress this year because of the pick of Cutler (from "Broncos bolster future with Cutler, Walker")-- Uhh, Javon Walker, anyone? How about a first and a second for two #1's (Cutler/Walker)?

Well, those are just a few examples, but they are taking us off the topic of this thread. The point is, I give this source only marginal credibility because of their apparent ignorance.

But it was a generally positive look at Jake. Therefore, kudos to Mtnman for reproducing it here. CP after I have spread some love.

-----

Comment

There have been several places that have stated Denver was going for Leinart, whether it remains to be true or not, the places that have rumored this seem to be extremely credible. At least to me. There is no doubt that Denver was trying to wheel in deal with a variety of teams in the top ten though.

Comment

Originally posted by LoyalSoldier
                    If I had a buck for everyone one of these threads.....Inflation would be sky rocketing.

Well, if you get any money for these threads.... I want half...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The|Snake#16
                      Plummer must prove? No, like every other rookie Cutler will have to prove he isn't a bust.
                      I don't disagree that a rookie must prove themselves.

However, I don't think a veteran is exempt from having to earn their job each season.

Sure, they have an inside track to the spot, but I want my team forcing every starter to earn their spot.

This is another reason why Cutler was a good pick. St. Jake had no competition for the job. Now, he has to at least consider being benched for a first round draft pick.

It should make him better. Even Shanny says so.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator
                        Plummer should have no problem doing a fine job for Denver in 2006. I expect him to lead his team to the Super Bowl.

I think it was a good idea to pick a QB in this year's draft. Get that QB ready for the future. Cutler must learn the Broncos system in order to perform well in it.

As I do not consider myself a St. Jake follower, I don't take sides. I'm going to pull for whoever is the starter and can lead the Broncos to a few Super Bowl wins. Hopefully, the next Super Bowl win will be for the 2006/2007 season.

By the way Mtnman, since one side is called the St. Jake, then I wonder if you are calling your side the Cultler or JayCult or CultJay.
                        (kidding on my part of course)
                        There have been some suggestions about CULTer being a nickname. I guess we'll see what happens.

However, remember that the St. Jake moniker was created due to the infallible nature many of his fans seem to think Plummer has.

As much as I like Jay, there's no way I will see him as perfect. While there will be a learning curve (for being a rookie - not for being a new Bronco), he will hear it from mtnman when he's the starter.

However, I will see him as an improvement over what we have.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dream
                          There have been several places that have stated Denver was going for Leinart, whether it remains to be true or not, the places that have rumored this seem to be extremely credible. At least to me. There is no doubt that Denver was trying to wheel in deal with a variety of teams in the top ten though.
                          You know, I've heard the rumors that we wanted to trade up too.

Do you think that maybe it had more to do with AZ picking before us (meaning they could have picked JC), rather than wanting a different pick?

That's how I see it.
                          sigpic

Comment

There have been some suggestions about CULTer being a nickname. I guess we'll see what happens.

However, remember that the St. Jake moniker was created due to the infallible nature many of his fans seem to think Plummer has.

As much as I like Jay, there's no way I will see him as perfect. While there will be a learning curve (for being a rookie - not for being a new Bronco), he will hear it from mtnman when he's the starter.

However, I will see him as an improvement over what we have.
                            Naww, face it, Mtnman. You have idolized St. Jay ever since you heard of him.

Does this sound familiar?

"WE WANT JAY! WE WANT JAY!"

You just loooovve St. Jay, and you know it.

-----

Comment

You know, I've heard the rumors that we wanted to trade up too.

Do you think that maybe it had more to do with AZ picking before us (meaning they could have picked JC), rather than wanting a different pick?

That's how I see it.
                              I am aware of the rumors. We all are, who have been following the news and reading these threads. But those of us who have been following the news and reading these threads also have found that those rumors have been debunked, and St. Jay has been their QB of choice from the start.

-----

Comment

Working...
                              X