Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shanahn peeved

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

DENVER (AP) -- Ashley Lelie's absence is starting to chafe Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.

ADVERTISEMENT
    As promised, Lelie was a no-show Tuesday when the Broncos gathered for on-field work for the first time since losing the AFC title game to Pittsburgh in January.

"I can't worry about the guys that aren't here -- or the guy that's not here," Shanahan said after his nine-day quarterbacks camp opened without the recalcitrant former first-round draft pick. "The only thing I'm concerned about are the people that are here.

"I know it's hard to be the No. 1 wide receiver when you're not competing."

One player Shanahan was surprised to see in attendance was tackle/tight end Dwayne Carswell, who was critically injured in a car crash last October.

"Dwayne is a lot farther ahead than I thought he would be," Shanahan said. "He's out there ready to practice already. I did not think that would be possible after watching him over the last couple of months. He is an overachiever, he works extremely hard. He has a big passion for the game."

Lelie insists he does, too.

He wants to be a featured pass-catcher in somebody's offense and is convinced he'll never get that opportunity in Denver, where Rod Smith is entrenched and former Pro Bowl receiver Javon Walker, acquired in a draft-day trade with Green Bay, is expected to start on the other side.

Lelie wasn't pleased with the Broncos' interest in Terrell Owens and declined to attend the club's offseason conditioning program, forgoing a $100,000 contract incentive to work out instead in Tempe, Ariz. -- with Walker, oddly enough.

Lelie, who is entering the final season of the rookie contract he signed as the 19th overall pick in the 2002 draft, was hoping the Broncos would send him packing last month. But Shanahan grabbed Walker, who is coming off a serious knee injury, for only a second-round draft pick.

A year after catching 54 passes for 1,084 yards and seven touchdowns, Lelie's numbers dipped last season to 42 receptions for 770 yards and one touchdown, but his deep threat ability keeps defenses honest.

Walker signed a five-year, $40 million-plus contract extension that will kick in next season, provided he returns from two operations on his right knee and shows signs he can be the player who went to the Pro Bowl in 2004 before blowing out his knee in the Packers' opener last season.

Walker only tossed a football on the sideline with wide receiver Domenik Hixon, a fourth-round draft pick from Akron who is rehabbing from a broken leg. Both are expected back by training camp, which opens July 27.

Lelie has threatened to also skip training camp in his quest to get a ticket out of town.

"I'm concerned about the people that are here," Shanahan said. "I am working with the people that are here. I can't do anything about somebody not being here. ... If somebody wants to be part of this football team and wants to compete, they're here. If they don't want to be part of this football team, I cannot force them."

Lelie could be fined for every day he misses in training camp, but the Broncos can't do anything about him skipping offseason workouts, which are officially considered voluntary. However, they are treated as mandatory in Denver and many other NFL cities.

"A lot of places I've been, not everyone attends," safety John Lynch said. "Here it's a little unusual because essentially the whole team attends the offseason workouts. We've had 97, 98 percent attendance at our workouts.

"I think ideally everybody wishes Ashley were here, but also everybody understands the business side of things and he feels like he needs to make a stand, then that's what he needs to do. But we'd all like to see him here competing like the rest of us."

Make Shanny mad, that is a smart move for you long term football career
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
    sigpic

Comment

Lelie is officially burning the bridge bewtween himself & Shanahan. I was going to sit tight & wait to see if he attended the mini camps, but as expected, he's not going to do so.

He'll be traded before training camp starts is my guess.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dontfeedthenerd
        http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

DENVER (AP) -- Ashley Lelie's absence is starting to chafe Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan.

ADVERTISEMENT
        As promised, Lelie was a no-show Tuesday when the Broncos gathered for on-field work for the first time since losing the AFC title game to Pittsburgh in January.

"I can't worry about the guys that aren't here -- or the guy that's not here," Shanahan said after his nine-day quarterbacks camp opened without the recalcitrant former first-round draft pick. "The only thing I'm concerned about are the people that are here.

"I know it's hard to be the No. 1 wide receiver when you're not competing."

One player Shanahan was surprised to see in attendance was tackle/tight end Dwayne Carswell, who was critically injured in a car crash last October.

"Dwayne is a lot farther ahead than I thought he would be," Shanahan said. "He's out there ready to practice already. I did not think that would be possible after watching him over the last couple of months. He is an overachiever, he works extremely hard. He has a big passion for the game."

Lelie insists he does, too.

He wants to be a featured pass-catcher in somebody's offense and is convinced he'll never get that opportunity in Denver, where Rod Smith is entrenched and former Pro Bowl receiver Javon Walker, acquired in a draft-day trade with Green Bay, is expected to start on the other side.

Lelie wasn't pleased with the Broncos' interest in Terrell Owens and declined to attend the club's offseason conditioning program, forgoing a $100,000 contract incentive to work out instead in Tempe, Ariz. -- with Walker, oddly enough.

Lelie, who is entering the final season of the rookie contract he signed as the 19th overall pick in the 2002 draft, was hoping the Broncos would send him packing last month. But Shanahan grabbed Walker, who is coming off a serious knee injury, for only a second-round draft pick.

A year after catching 54 passes for 1,084 yards and seven touchdowns, Lelie's numbers dipped last season to 42 receptions for 770 yards and one touchdown, but his deep threat ability keeps defenses honest.

Walker signed a five-year, $40 million-plus contract extension that will kick in next season, provided he returns from two operations on his right knee and shows signs he can be the player who went to the Pro Bowl in 2004 before blowing out his knee in the Packers' opener last season.

Walker only tossed a football on the sideline with wide receiver Domenik Hixon, a fourth-round draft pick from Akron who is rehabbing from a broken leg. Both are expected back by training camp, which opens July 27.

Lelie has threatened to also skip training camp in his quest to get a ticket out of town.

"I'm concerned about the people that are here," Shanahan said. "I am working with the people that are here. I can't do anything about somebody not being here. ... If somebody wants to be part of this football team and wants to compete, they're here. If they don't want to be part of this football team, I cannot force them."

Lelie could be fined for every day he misses in training camp, but the Broncos can't do anything about him skipping offseason workouts, which are officially considered voluntary. However, they are treated as mandatory in Denver and many other NFL cities.

"A lot of places I've been, not everyone attends," safety John Lynch said. "Here it's a little unusual because essentially the whole team attends the offseason workouts. We've had 97, 98 percent attendance at our workouts.

"I think ideally everybody wishes Ashley were here, but also everybody understands the business side of things and he feels like he needs to make a stand, then that's what he needs to do. But we'd all like to see him here competing like the rest of us."
        I like Ashly too, but he is messing up here, maybe they should wait untill 1 day before the Trading Deadline then trade him off to the 49ers or Saints for some draft picks or something.
        "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."sigpic

Comment

If they got those quotes from the interview I watched, he clearly did not speak in anger or disdain or anything like that. He just replied to the question using the same generic stuff he's been saying all along.

"Compete, compete, and compete."

If Ashley doesn't fold, he will be traded. If the FO has one shred of sense, he'll be traded.

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco
            If they got those quotes from the interview I watched, he clearly did not speak in anger or disdain or anything like that. He just replied to the question using the same generic stuff he's been saying all along.

"Compete, compete, and compete."

If Ashley doesn't fold, he will be traded. If the FO has one shred of sense, he'll be traded.

Now the question is, Is there any real interest Lelie throughout the league?

Comment

WOW. I have this crazy idea that wherever Ash end up, he is going to tear it up there. Sometimes this is the kind of thing that lights a fire under a players ass. I sure will miss him.
              SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

Comment

It's too bad that it has come to this. I like Lelie ok, but he's never shown that he can be a number one receiver. He blames the system but isn't this the same system that produced two 100 catch receivers in the same season? The bottome line is, he's yet to prove that he can be anything more than a deep threat receiver. Shanahan has every right to be frustrated with him. How can you say that you want to be the number one receiver and yet not even participate along with the team?

Comment

You at least have to respect Shannahan's stance. Lelie hasn't done enough to warrant demanding a number 2 spot really.

Comment

If Shanahan had any real balls IMHO he would bench him for the season. That sounds good to me. Not trade him. Teams need to make stands against this type of disruptive behavior. By making the player ride the bench they will lose their value as they are a year out of football.
                    The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Originally posted by Dawgfan
                      If Shanahan had any real balls IMHO he would bench him for the season. That sounds good to me. Not trade him. Teams need to make stands against this type of disruptive behavior. By making the player ride the bench they will lose their value as they are a year out of football.

Well, if he doesn't show up to practice he WILL lose his job anyway.

Shanny plays the guys he's most comfortable with and if your not there to practice, he's not going to be comfortable with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Dawgfan
                        So your saying if Braylon Edwards pulled this kind of stunt you'd be all for benching him?

The problem is the fact that even though you're screwing the player, you're also pooching yourself pretty well.

Comment

Shanahan cracks me up. You can tell he's all kind of pissed off, but tries to hide it. You can hear the anger in his statements but it's like he's trying to be all cool about it.

:wave: Lelie

Comment

I think all of us Bronco fans know that Shanahan has never been afraid of laying the smackdown.

Comment

Originally posted by dontfeedthenerd
                              So your saying if Braylon Edwards pulled this kind of stunt you'd be all for benching him?
                              I would be all for it. I remember back when Droughns was pulling his junk I said he should just be benched for the season. But of course he decided to stop whining and just play.
                              The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

Working...
                              X