Duke didn't take any money from Javon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke didn't take any money from Javon

I hadn't seen the details of the number change until this morning. Sorry if it has been posted already.

Often when a veteran comes in and wants another player's number, cash or some other compensation is given. Not in this case.

"Broncos tight end Wesley Duke was at his first practice after returning from NFL Europe. Duke said he agreed to give up his No. 84 to recently acquired wide receiver Javon Walker without compensation because he believes it is best for the team. Duke chose to wear No. 48 because "it's 84 backwards," he said. "

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_3858172
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

i dont know if its just me... but i have a new found respect for duke...
    good on him...
    but it being better for the team? well i dont know about that.... but he is a nice bloke and i think walker should still give him something nice... maybe a $100 voucher to walmart.... or perhaps go wild and a $200 voucher for macy's... or maybe some drapes... duke seems like he may like some new drapes...

point being... walker owes him... cos it would be a nice gesture...

sigpic

Comment

Duke seems like a class guy...fits in well with our whole team, the broncos are the best organization ever
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosfreak_56
        Duke seems like a class guy...fits in well with our whole team, the broncos are the best organization ever
        u r like a sorcerer... full of things that i want to hear... and full of good ideas...
        btw... its not 'organization'... its organisation... with an S.... u crazy americans... u make me giggle sometimes... and then i stop and think... why did i giggle?...
        it hurts to think....

sigpic

Comment

bad business move by duke . and it's organization. with z. you ztupid auzzie

Comment

Originally posted by anton1287
            u r like a sorcerer... full of things that i want to hear... and full of good ideas...
            btw... its not 'organization'... its organisation... with an S.... u crazy americans... u make me giggle sometimes... and then i stop and think... why did i giggle?...
            it hurts to think....
            Actually, Im from norway(europe) so, yea im not perfect in english.
            sigpic

Comment

Wesley Duke is a class act. Good gesture, but the team doesn't care what jersey Javon wears.
              However, that was terrible business. Javon would have paid top dollar for that jersey.
              Emancipate your mind!
              The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator
                Wesley Duke is a class act. Good gesture, but the team doesn't care what jersey Javon wears.
                However, that was terrible business. Javon would have paid top dollar for that jersey.
                exactly.......... and if Duke REALLY didn't want the money..... i would have volunteered to take it off his hands

Comment

Nah, he should have let him take the number without compensation...with the caveat that he keep the name "Duke" on the back

T777
                  "When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -anonymous

Comment

What's in a number anyways, I am sure when he says no compensation, that Javon will take Duke out for a nice steak meal or something, but like I find it absolutely obsurd that people will be willing to buy another guy a car and such just for a number, the whole that number is special to me thing gets outta hand sometimes and and personally I think its to do with the player's egos, but Duke did what had to be done, he's happy, everyone's happy and thats the way to go about this business, not to cause a huge furore over a silly number
                    Member of Warwick University American Football Team in UK
                    http://www.warwickwolves.co.uk

I adopt Erica Weston

Comment

Originally posted by anton1287
                      it hurts to think....
                      Actually organization is spelled with a z and not s.

and u is spelled you.

Just thought I could help.

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator

I agree, it was a nice sentimental gesture and good on him from that. But from a business sense it makes no sense. Ah well, I won't knock the guy for being a good sport about it but he could have gotten a Shelby Cobra out of Javon for the number

Comment

Originally posted by Broncosfreak_56
                          Actually, Im from norway(europe) so, yea im not perfect in english.
                          wow... slow down buddy...
                          its the correct american spelling.. so ur english is correct... im an aussie.. so i spell things diff...

and i agree with dbdom, its all about ego.... ALL... i dont think anyone would get any more catches, TD's or sacks cos they had a diff number... but then again.. many football players r really superstitious... so maybe thats why they pay big dollars to get their numbers... and maybe duke doesnt care for numbers... or greatness? maybe by wearing a good number, like 24 for a CB or 26 for a RB... maybe players think they would gain respect, some sort of aura... or maybe their manhood...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Q-niverse
                            Actually organization is spelled with a z and not s.

and u is spelled you.

Just thought I could help.
                            Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in what order the ltteers in a word are, the only iprmoetnt thing is that the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can still raed it wouthit porbelm. This is bcuseae the human mind deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe.

Comment

Originally posted by NBudris
                              Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in what order the ltteers in a word are, the only iprmoetnt thing is that the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can still raed it wouthit porbelm. This is bcuseae the human mind deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe.

clssaic

Comment

Working...
                              X