No announcement yet.

Duke didn't take any money from Javon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walker should at least get him that steak he promised him.

Comment

Originally posted by DaBroncs
      sensitive this morning are we?

that's no way to treat a fellow bloke, now is it?
      i was joking. i didn't mean anything

Comment

Originally posted by theshiverman
        But dont you understand they wanted him to dominate in NFL Europe so his rating will be good on Madden 2007.
        LoL! of course, how could i forget about the demand for great ratings for the upcoming Madden football game? He's easily going to be rated 99. dont you think so?
        The Orange Crush will rise again!

Comment

I think it already said a lot when they started him in the playoffs over Putz. May have simply been the game plan.. but he made one or two really good catches. I don't have high hopes, but he's one that is interesting to keep an eye on.

Comment

Originally posted by 24SuperChamp
            I dont know about the rest of you die hard fans, but I had alot of expectations for Wesley Duke in Hamburg this season in NFL Europe. I strongly feel that his nine receptions for 89 yards and a touchdown was an extreme let down. I watched most of the games and he did not play as much as I expected. Was he used more as a blocking tight end? If anyone knows more about what type of piece he was supposed to be in their puzzle....Please let me know. I am a big fan of Duke but based on his performance in Europe, I think his days are numbered. As much as I would like to see him be the diamond in the rough (Like Antonio Gates) I think our future lies with Scheffler, Jackson and Alexander. Kudos to you Duke for giving up your number to Javon but I think that decision was already made by the receivers coach when you were in Hamburg. I truly hope he finds success, I just dont think it will be in a Bronco's uniform. (Your thoughts?)
            Im not dissing the Hamburg seadevils or NFL Europe, but I couldnt comment on Dukes future by judging on wht he did there.
            Its another team another country and another league. Shanahan will do his own evaluating on Duke here in Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!!
              I think it already said a lot when they started him in the playoffs over Putz. May have simply been the game plan.. but he made one or two really good catches. I don't have high hopes, but he's one that is interesting to keep an eye on.
              You know, at first I had assumed that starting Duke was just planned as some kind of distraction, just one of those little things Shanny does to make defenses think too much.

But now that Putz is gone and Duke is still around, I'm wondering if they didn't possibly have plans to let Putzier go all along. Hmm.
              "You can't take the sky from me..."
              ------
              "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Nah, he'll be around. He is an athlete, and I think he can excell in red-zone situations, and area we struggle with almost anually.

I wouldn't bet on him seeing him much more than deep in the opponents field though, not yet.

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

Nah, he'll be around. He is an athlete, and I think he can excell in red-zone situations, and area we struggle with almost anually.

I wouldn't bet on him seeing him much more than deep in the opponents field though, not yet.

Which is actually a credit to Duke. There are players you don't mind throwing to in the open field, but aren't that great in the end-zone, where Duke with his exceptional jumping ability, and hands should excell there.

Fingers crossed anyways.

[SIZE=1][B]Adopted Bronco:Kenard Lang

Comment

I watched most of his NFLE games, and he has the look of a dominant blocker. He dominated most of his opponents with solid technique. Numerous times he knocked defenders on their heals.

The Sea Devils pass offense was miserable. Brock Berlin played most of the downs with Duke and rarely got the ball to him. Duke was wide open often, but Berlin usually threw to his WR's. When the ball was thrown to Duke he caught it.

Wesley is still on the raw side, but I predict by late this year he will start to make an impact.

Comment

Originally posted by theshiverman
                      High School Football wont get you ready for the NFL, im sure he played YMCA football too when he was 8 or 9.
                      Yea, but it doesn't mean he has no clue about football. Besides Basketball isn't all that different in terms of skill sets.
                      "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoFanCam
                        Nah, he'll be around. He is an athlete, and I think he can excell in red-zone situations, and area we struggle with almost anually. .
                        Last time I checked we had almost no problem in the red zone. It was 3rd downs that was killing us.
                        "Some people in this world make things happen, some people in this world know what happened, but most people wonder what happened."

Comment

Duke says the NFLE has made him a better player...

Publish Date: 5/24/2006

Broncos’ Duke feels European experience made him better TE

By Pat Graham
                          The Daily Reporter-Herald

ENGLEWOOD — Denver Broncos tight end Wesley Duke went over to NFL Europe looking for adventure.
                          And adventure is exactly what he found. Duke, who played for the Hamburg Sea Devils, got to ride on the back of an elephant at the Hamburg Zoo — carrying a football as well — visited Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin, ate bratwurst covered in curry at a German fair, took in hockey, soccer and handball contests and learned how to do laundry on his own.

“I had a lot of great adventures,” Duke said as he returned to passing camp Tuesday. “It was exciting.”

The football wasn’t too bad, either. The Broncos sent him over to Hamburg to hone his tight end skills, and he feels like he’s a more complete player because of it.

He can already see a difference. Despite jet lag from his cross-country trip back to Colorado on Monday, Duke returned to work Tuesday feeling a lot more confident. Last year at this time, he was a former Mercer basketball player being converted into a tight end. Now he’s just a second-year tight end. He no longer feels like an experiment. He’s a bona fide tight end.

“At first, it felt like everything was moving 100 mph and I was stuck in neutral,” Duke said. “Now I feel a lot better and got it in drive a little bit.”

Duke has no idea what his role will be this season, but he’s willing to do whatever the coaches ask of him. The coaches may ask a lot since the Broncos released Jeb Putzier during the offseason. Denver has Stephen Alexander, rookie Tony Scheffler, converted receiver Nate Jackson, long snapper Mike Leach and Duke as primary tight ends.

“I want to get on the field any way I can,” Duke said. “If that means blocking the run, that’s what I’m going to do until my number’s called to catch passes.”

In order to call his number, the Broncos may have to consult a roster to find out what it is. Duke willingly gave up No. 84 to Javon Walker, and switched over to No. 48.

So, did he get a Mercedes for voluntarily giving Walker his jersey number? Maybe an all expenses paid trip to the Bahamas?

“Nah,” Duke said with a grin. “Let’s say it was a team move.”

So he got nothing from Walker?

“I didn’t (get anything),” he said. “He can wear it. If it helps us win, and Javon wants to wear (No. 84) and feels good about it, I’ll do that for my team.”

Speaking of numbers, Duke didn’t have spectacular stats last season. However, he did catch a 1-yard touchdown catch against Buffalo. He was one of two players on the team whose first professional touch netted a touchdown. The other was quarterback Bradlee Van Pelt against Kansas City.

In NFL Europe, Duke had a solid spring with Hamburg. He had nine catches for 89 yards and one score. He had another touchdown called back against Berlin on a call that still leaves him fuming.

“They cheated me,” he said. “They called us for an illegal screen when the defense just played it wrong and ran into each other.”

That play aside, Duke wouldn’t trade a moment of his time in Germany. He learned so much about football.

“It helped in being able to read coverages in different ways to set up defenses,” Duke said. “If you stem out a little bit, get the defense to bite and then cut back, it makes your routes easier. I’m going to focus on that so that I’m not just trying to outrun people.

“Going over to Germany was nothing but a positive for me.”

He even learned a second language — Deutsch.

“I wouldn’t say that,” he laughed. “I can say Guten Tag (hello) and Danke (thank you), but that’s about it. Most times, I would just point at what I wanted.

“But I actually got around, and enjoyed myself. I had a lot of adventures.”

Article DONE.

I love the "character" guys the Broncos are drafting. Can you believe it, he just gave his number to Javon just because it would be the "team" thing to do?

I like the football things he learned also. Maybe he will not be as much a project this year because of the experienced that he gained in watching a lot of football in Europe and playing a little bit.

I am really thinking about getting a #48 jersey if he keeps this number.
                          Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

Shanahan loves team guys and I do too. I love that he would give his number up to help the team. That means he is willing to do the same on the field. That team attitude is contagious. I remember back in 2002 I didn't expect the Anaheim Angels to be in the playoffs. They were picked to come in last in thier division because the talent didn't seem to be there. They played as a team and won it all with the biggest contributions coming from the least talented players. The Broncos have always had a good team attitude. Mabey not the best like NE had but not the worst. If Dukes attitude can spread through the whole team (even Lelie) then we should be SB bound no problem.
                            Definition of the word “Fan”: The term fan refers to someone who has an intense, occasionally overwhelming liking of a person, group of persons, work of art, idea, or trend.

Definition of True Broncos Fan: Homer.

Rod Smith the greatest ever
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ankz_...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by imh
                              Shanahan loves team guys and I do too. I love that he would give his number up to help the team. That means he is willing to do the same on the field. That team attitude is contagious. I remember back in 2002 I didn't expect the Anaheim Angels to be in the playoffs. They were picked to come in last in thier division because the talent didn't seem to be there. They played as a team and won it all with the biggest contributions coming from the least talented players. The Broncos have always had a good team attitude. Mabey not the best like NE had but not the worst. If Dukes attitude can spread through the whole team (even Lelie) then we should be SB bound no problem.
                              Plus if he produces on the field and becomes the TE that I think he can, our TE situation will be solved for years to come and we'll have a pretty good player on our hands.
                              Darrent & Damien - Broncos 4ever

"When you're not practicing, remember that someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win" - Ed Macauley

Comment

Originally posted by NBudris
                                Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in what order the ltteers in a word are, the only iprmoetnt thing is that the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can still raed it wouthit porbelm. This is bcuseae the human mind deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe.
                                amem brother... but that wasnt my point... australian spelling... where i come from... is different to american spelling in some ways.. eg... ur color is our colour.... ur organization is my organisation... but in the end... u strart thinking about the beginging... its like potato/ pota- to..... so u see... what we need is some more love...

and duke is cool!!!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X