Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Trade of the Century"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by kcarr26
    Well said rcsodak. The problem with your post Paranoid is that, we offered CP a nice contract but he turned it down, because "it wouldn't make him the highest paid running back."
    Wrong. Just plain wrong.
    Mighty Mouse

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by tahuya man
      Hearst has nothing left.
      I disagree. Hearst is a strong runner, that has never had the luxury of running behind a line that is designed to provide him with lanes to "run downhill."

      He may be old, but watch and see....he will be suprisingly effective...dude's a hog.

      Originally posted by tahuya man

      Lynch on the other hand will play, but he's not going to be an upgrade over Kennedy or Ferguson.
      I agree here. Lynch will provide a more than capable backup, however. He will also bring some playoff experience and if his neck holds up, some hard hitting and sure tackling.
      Mighty Mouse

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Physbo
        and another thing Portis is great, but also its the broncos system. Portis might look better then every one else cause of the system in denver. And denver has had so much luck with the Running backs over the years. But denver has not had any real luck with Corner backs. So Champ may get more money cause of the way he plays.
        If the Broncos system is the true reason for your running success, why not pursue a similar system on defense that enhances the play/performance of the secondary? That way you won't need Champ Bailey, Clinton Portis, Shannon Sharpe, or any star player who think he's a top player and insists on being paid as such. Wow, what a concept!! A player friendly system that makes all players (regardless of skill) look better than they really are. Shanahan is a genius!!!!

        Comment


        • #19
          Lynch will provide a more than capable backup, however. He will also bring some playoff experience and if his neck holds up, some hard hitting and sure tackling.
          This is entirely the point of the signing!

          Do any of you really think that if John Lynch had been on the field during the playoff game that Marvin Harrison would have gotten up off the ground and run for a touchdown without being touched?

          Didn't think so!



          All of Shanahan's defensive moves this offseason have been about 1 thing: to add CHARACTER to the defense.

          In Rod Smith's words in case you missed it:
          "Right now we have, in my personal opinion, a few stragglers," Smith said after the wild-card loss. "What I mean by that is, we have some guys that don't live and breathe football, simple as that.

          That's something for the coaches to go and evaluate, the guys who really put their hearts into their teammates. I give my guys everything I have during football season. My family comes second during football season. I love these guys.

          Me, as a captain of this team, I'm looking for the other guys that feel that way. And we have a lot of guys that feel that way. But we don't have every guy feeling that way. And we've got to find a way to get rid of the guys that don't feel that way.
          Enough said!
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #20
            PERFECT

            Cugel, again you make an excellent point. As I said before, the theme to the signings so far as been CHARACTER!!

            Lynch, Hearst, Ellis, Johnson... are allllll known for having GREAT locker room and field CHARACTER. They are LEADERS, TRUE leaders... especially Lynch and Hearst. Instead of taking chances on guys like McGlockton and Gardners, we are putting POSITIVE leaders on the team to set EXAMPLES and give great leadership. Lynch is a CLASS act.. Nothing but class... Hearst.. came back TWICE from "career ending" injuries... was out two years for one to come and win the "come back" player of the year! Thats the kind of player and PERSON I want around our young players!

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Derock
              If the Broncos system is the true reason for your running success, why not pursue a similar system on defense that enhances the play/performance of the secondary?
              If the offense and defense had the same underlying philosophy then it might be that easy. In case you've missed something offense is "GO" and defense is "STOP". You did get something half-right even though I don't think you were thinking about it when you posted. A team with an awesome pass rush (i.e. a great D-line - - i.e. the O-line, but on defense ) does, indirectly, make the secondary "better". If you sack or pressure the quarterback every time they drop back to pass then, yes, you've essentially enhanced the (apparent) play/performance of the secondary. A pressured quarterback will throw more interceptions than one that is not. Now, does that mean that the secondary is better? No. But statistically, one might be led to believe so; and since some people are so caught up in the statistics then I guess what you suggest is true. But, you really don't believe that, do you?

              Shanahan is a genius!!!!
              What's this??? Another true statement by Derock??? The last time I checked Denver was making some serious gains at the D-line.... I mean, the O-line on defense, positions....

              Last edited by Mount-n-Groan; 03-26-2004, 10:11 AM.
              Winter is Coming!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan
                If the offense and defense had the same underlying philosophy then it might be that easy. In case you've missed something offense is "GO" and defense is "STOP". You did get something half-right even though I don't think you were thinking about it when you posted. A team with an awesome pass rush (i.e. a great D-line - - i.e. the O-line, but on defense ) does, indirectly, make the secondary "better". If you sack or pressure the quarterback every time they drop back to pass then, yes, you've essentially enhanced the (apparent) play/performance of the secondary. A pressured quarterback will throw more interceptions than one that is not. Now, does that mean that the secondary is better? No. But statistically, one might be led to believe so; and since some people are so caught up in the statistics then I guess what you suggest is true. But, you really don't believe that, do you?



                What's this??? Another true statement by Derock??? The last time I checked Denver was making some serious gains at the D-line.... I mean, the O-line on defense, positions....

                The point I was trying to make was If the Broncos believe so much in having a system that is player friendly, then why not use that same philosophy for defense. In other words, on one side of the ball its all about the system (we don't need Portis) and on the other side of the ball its all about the player (we need Bailey--apparently we have no system). The truth is both the players and system compliment each other and are equally important. Be careful when you start to value one over the other because you may find out that neither is no good without the other. Now that's deep!!!!!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Derock
                  The point I was trying to make was If the Broncos believe so much in having a system that is player friendly, then why not use that same philosophy for defense. In other words, on one side of the ball its all about the system (we don't need Portis) and on the other side of the ball its all about the player (we need Bailey--apparently we have no system). The truth is both the players and system compliment each other and are equally important. Be careful when you start to value one over the other because you may find out that neither is no good without the other. Now that's deep!!!!!
                  It's true, it's about both the system and the player. I think Shanny has proven that "his system" works. Now, it's time to move on to the players. The NFL today is all about parity / on any given Sunday / blah blah blah. The difference between the good teams and the bad teams is not all that much. Many times it's the intangibles that bring a team to the next level; or even down a level. You might have one guy, for example, that cops an attitude or doesn't give 110%, and the next thing you know his teammate loses faith in him, blows his own assignment and voila!!! Touchdown or interception or fumble or whatever. Deltha is a perfect example of this. On the other hand you can have a good-to-average player who gives it his all, thinks about nothing but the team, and is a stand-up respectable guy and all of a sudden you'll have others on the team that are inspired by him and they'll bring out things inside them that they never knew they had. That's leadership by example, and there's nothing like it.

                  Let's face it... there are no "bad" players in the NFL. They're all studs. The same can't be said about systems (ask Greg Robinson). But if I had to choose between good, respectable players in a great system or great, selfish players in a "not so good" system....

                  Well, the answer is obvious. I'm a Broncos fan, and I love what the organization is doing so far in this offseason.

                  PS - I wish you guys the best of luck with Portis. I hope he's worth every penny because he is a great back. If he pans out then that's great, but regardless of your situation now you guys will be in some serious cap trouble in a couple/few years and I hope that when that time comes it's in your best interest to not let him go. He's now the highest paid running back in the league, and for your sake, he better damn well produce like he is the best. If he doesn't, then what? Is it the system? Or the player?

                  Winter is Coming!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    *chuckles*

                    good points

                    He'll be the highest paid RB until the BETTER ones come up for contract negotiations

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by cheapseats
                      Are you sure about this? The only thing I heard is the Broncos offer was a big insurance policy covering injury.
                      Me too. but who needs facts when you can have pure unadulterated homerism to fuel your bias.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Wrong. Just plain wrong.
                        How do you figure? I dont feel as if Shanny or Sun. would lie about offering him a contract?
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I'll find it, cuz i read it.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Allright....I'm waiting. I never had the luxury of reading such an article.
                            Mighty Mouse

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              the denver running game dose so well cause of the system on the oline. You cant implement that on Defence. And with Gary. He had a great preseason in his last season with the Broncos. Its not his knees. It the lack of oline that the lions dont have. And im not saying Portis isnt a bad back either. Im just saying he probly wont produce as much as he did here for awhile. Hes got to used to a different system of oline.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X