Jay Cutler Play by Play breakdown: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay Cutler Play by Play breakdown: the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Jay Cutler Play by Play breakdown: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Ok, the fact is there was no ugly, and not much in the way of bad either. Here is the play by play breakdown with comments at the end.

Pass 1:
    Nice bootleg right; throw on the run with velocity to Marshall on comeback, right in chest, just OB.

Pass 2:
    5 step drop; pass to Watts in right flat; hard and a little high (Watts jumped for it); completion - 7 yards.

pass 3:
    3 step drop; pass left into watts' stomach; completion - 6 yards

Pass 4:
    Play action/bootleg right; thows on run; hits Devoe on a sideline/combacker; 10 yards

Pass 5:
    3 step drop; hit after release, being pressured; pass high and incomplete to Johnson in left flat.

Pass 6:
    3 step drop; pass completed to Scheffler at the numbers right on a curl; 7 yards

No Pass:
    Cutler and Center fumble ball; recovered by Broncos

Pass 7:
    5 step drop; pass to right near sideline; complete to Shceffler in the chest; 15 yards

Pass 8:
    5 step drop; side stepped falling pass rusher; throw to goalline; DB had inside coverage on Watts and had better opportunity to make a play on the ball and knocked ball away

Pass 9:
    5 step drop; pass intended for Watts; thrown into back of defender; Watts had no play on ball

Pass 10:
    5 step drop; screen pass to Bell who gained 19 yards

Pass 11:
    5 step drop; pass just left of left hash marks; hits Sheffler in chest; 24 yard gain

Pass 12:
    5+ step drop; pass to Sheffler in left flat; slightly behind Sheffler who made turning catch; 8 yards

Pass 13:
    5 step drop; stepped up to avoid pressure; hits Devoe in the chest - left hash marks on curl; 13 yards

Pass 14:
    2 step drop; quick pass to Watts in left flat - pass thrown helmet height; 6 yards

Pass 15:
    2 step drop; quick pass; hit Kircus in chest in left flat; 9 yards

Pass 16:
    5 step drop: pass to left side at the numbers; Kircus on a curl - pass high - Kircus jump completion; 11 yards

Pass 17:
    Play action - 7 step drop; Kircus settled on on right hash mark; pass hit him in stomach; 11 yards

Pass 18:
    7 step drop - screen attempt; some pressure; pass well high over Dayne as he was turning to look for ball

Pass 19:

5 step drop; pass hit Nate Jackson in stomach in right flat; Jackson dropped ball

Pass 20:
    7 step drop - screen; complete to Dayne; 9 yards

Pass 21:
    7 step drop - pass over middle to Dayne on short curl; pass slightly high- hit Dayne in chest after he jumped; 11 yards

Pass 22:
    5 step drop - pass into front, left corner of endzone; highish lob - hit Kircus in numbers as he back peddled into endzone; 27 yards

Of his 22 passes:

I count:
    13 that were dead on, in the chest, not possible to put it in a better spot (1 dropped by receiver)
    4 that were high, but very catchable.
    1 behind receiver but complete
    2 very high and uncatchable
    2 passes thrown where defender had position and were incomplete

I had previously made comments about Cutler throwing into double and triple coverage a few times. After rewatching the game today and rewinding numerous times on each pass, I realize that was overstated. The two incompletions to Watts, one where a receiver had inside coverage, and the other where the receiver had his back to Jay, but between him and Watts (not even close to PI as has been stated) were the only questionable balls Cutler threw.

All in all, not just an impressive rookie debut, but an impressive effort period.
    The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

good recap of his game. i was thoroughly impressed with his performance. even though it was against detroit's backups, that was a great game for a rookie in his first game. this could turn out to be one of the top 2 draft picks shanahan has ever made. (along with T.D.) I don't think there is a chance in the world that he plays this season assuming plummer stays healthy but i think he could be ready to start next season. hopefully this will light a fire under plummer's tail and he will play even better than he played last season.

Comment

Originally posted by BaileyTheBest
      good recap of his game. i was thoroughly impressed with his performance. even though it was against detroit's backups, that was a great game for a rookie in his first game. this could turn out to be one of the top 2 draft picks shanahan has ever made. (along with T.D.) I don't think there is a chance in the world that he plays this season assuming plummer stays healthy but i think he could be ready to start next season. hopefully this will light a fire under plummer's tail and he will play even better than he played last season.
      Plummer played awesome last season. He just kinda, stopped there on the championship game.

Comment

Al Wilson in a postgame interview said, "I'm not going to lie to you, the Quarterback played well...Cutler. Kid played well."
        The human body has two ends on it: one to create with and one to sit on. Sometimes people get their ends reversed. When this happens they need a kick in the seat of the pants. --- Theodore Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

It was certainly an impressive first outing. Hopefully we will see more of the same in our next preseason game.
          John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRONC
            It was certainly an impressive first outing. Hopefully we will see more of the same in our next preseason game.

The next game should be fun to watch. Young vs Cutler.

I would love to see CUtler shine head and shoulders above Young in that game. I want to see Big Al welcome Young into the NFL with a big kiss in the backfield...

CUtler did look very good last night. Good to see all the hype is paying off. Can't wait to see more.

Comment

Originally posted by Born'n'Raised
              Plummer played awesome last season. He just kinda, stopped there on the championship game.
              Oh? So you missed the fact that, of the only four passes Jake threw, he completed three of them?

-----

Comment

Originally posted by topscribe
                Oh? So you missed the fact that, of the only four passes Jake threw, he completed three of them?

-----
                um... wtf does that have to do with his post? He wasn't commenting on Plummer's play in the pre-season game. He was responding to someone saying he hopes Cutler's performance will make Plummer play better this year by commenting on how well Plummer played last year.

I'm still trying to figure out where the relevance of your post is.
                RIP Darrent Williams

Comment

Originally posted by tnedator
                  I had previously made comments about Cutler throwing into double and triple coverage a few times. After rewatching the game today and rewinding numerous times on each pass, I realize that was overstated. The two incompletions to Watts, one where a receiver had inside coverage, and the other where the receiver had his back to Jay, but between him and Watts (not even close to PI as has been stated) were the only questionable balls Cutler threw.
                  Good observation. I was wondering if the people overstating it had even watched the game. Jay made very good decisions, took what the defense gave, and made those thread the needle passes with good arm strenth (defenders, although close, were far from making plays on his passes except 1). Btw, he showed good touch on that TD.
                  sigpic

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_1804775

Comment

Im impressed because I thought he way overhyped in college, but he looked like a seasoned backup. He holds the ball low sometimes on the dropbacks but beyond that I saw nothing wrong. And Kircus came alive which was good.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarJ
                      Good observation. I was wondering if the people overstating it had even watched the game. Jay made very good decisions, took what the defense gave, and made those thread the needle passes with good arm strenth (defenders, although close, were far from making plays on his passes except 1). Btw, he showed good touch on that TD.
                      Yes, his arm strength can be decieving when you watch it live. He puts the balls in places that look like double and triple coverage, but when you go back and look at it, especially in slow motion or just 'really' watch it, you see that very rarely did he put the ball in a position the defender could make a play on it. The two passes to Watts were the only ones.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The_Roses_Thorn
                        um... wtf does that have to do with his post? He wasn't commenting on Plummer's play in the pre-season game. He was responding to someone saying he hopes Cutler's performance will make Plummer play better this year by commenting on how well Plummer played last year.

He likes Jake a lot. I still like him too.....I am just excited about Cutler. Probably because Elway spoiled me, as I watched him his whole career.

Back on topic. Good breakdown by tnedator.
                        sigpic

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_1804775

Comment

Originally posted by Cheerful
                          The next game should be fun to watch. Young vs Cutler.

I would love to see CUtler shine head and shoulders above Young in that game. I want to see Big Al welcome Young into the NFL with a big kiss in the backfield...

CUtler did look very good last night. Good to see all the hype is paying off. Can't wait to see more.

Yep a nice big "How ya doin" from Al to Youg would be a welcomed sight.

John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Originally posted by The_Roses_Thorn

Um . . . what does how Plummer played last year have to do with anything?

The last game Plummer played in was last night. That is what MY post was about.

What I put in MY post is relevant to MY post. Live with it.

And please dispense with "wtf" when directly addressing me.

-----
                            Last edited by topscribe; 08-12-2006, 08:09 PM.

Comment

After watching Jay throw the ball "on a rope" many times and then seeing him put some touch on the ball in the endzone to Kircus was very impressive. The "rope" reminded me of John Elway. The touch reminded me of Joe Montana. Both QB's are a good camp to be in.
                              Go Broncos!!! - Hosea 10:12

Comment

Working...
                              X